Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Late season truth: Doggett was awesome and Reyes is unbearably poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Quote-Unquote posted:

Late season truth: Doggett was awesome and Reyes is unbearably poo poo.

Once Robert Patrick showed up, I pretty much stopped watching. I didn't enjoy the government conspiracy/aliens thing (except the one where you find out that CSM is responsible for every major event in the 20th century) anywhere near as much as I enjoyed the episodes about paranormal/weird poo poo that was wrapped up in a one hour program.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
The one where the cyber chick is being hunted with satellite laser cannons, and it turns out that the super complex AI that is growing to conquer the earth is in a loving white trash trailer with ONE power line next to it.

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
i forgot about kill switch :aaa: the ep by william gibson
e: and this

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

What about that episode Jersey Devil where he is going through his old stuff and he just pulls out a picture of bigfoot with boobs and is like "oh yeah!" and cracks the case but its like "wtf mulder why do you have a drawing of bigfoot with boobs?"

gently caress getting anything done today

whoflungpoop fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Sep 23, 2014

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Was there one where a guy uploaded his conciousness onto the internet or was that one of Lowtax's zany schemes?

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

There literally is nothing on network television even close to X-Files.

x files is kinda fun and was pretty popular when I was at school so people watched it but it is no way as good as things like hannibal which I think is on network television. i dont really know what that means though.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Lofty132 posted:

Was there one where a guy uploaded his conciousness onto the internet or was that one of Lowtax's zany schemes?

His weird matrix girlfriend or some poo poo tried to do it.

She was annoying.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Boogaleeboo posted:

Also how they keep implying Scully may be immortal.

wait wut

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Lazyfire posted:

And the episode where they were in Florida and people were being killed by invisible monsters that were the conquistadors who had actually found the Fountain of Youth.

i dont recall this eon but i have to watch it

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

RideTheSpiral posted:

x files is kinda fun and was pretty popular when I was at school so people watched it but it is no way as good as things like hannibal which I think is on network television. i dont really know what that means though.

hannibal's loving goofy which is a high crime for a show that takes itself so seriously. crime scenes look cool, though.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Frostwerks posted:

hannibal's loving goofy which is a high crime for a show that takes itself so seriously. crime scenes look cool, though.

you be trippin. hannibal has ballin production values and good plots and even guest stars scully

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

Wicker Man posted:

His weird matrix girlfriend or some poo poo tried to do it.

She was annoying

i remember scully talking poo poo to her. and to the entomologist in daisy dukes. and to mulder's old girlfriends.

catty scully was :gay:

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Lazyfire posted:

And the episode where they were in Florida and people were being killed by invisible monsters that were the conquistadors who had actually found the Fountain of Youth.

wrong dude they were creatures who had existed undisturbed by man except when ponce de leon was tramping around florida looking for the fountain of youth, the episode was all about how urban expansion disrupts wild life. also a good episode.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

RideTheSpiral posted:

you be trippin. hannibal has ballin production values and good plots and even guest stars scully

the fall also stars scully as the protagonist and is really good if you like those slow burn series.

she is still gorgeous, too, goddamn.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

TOILETLORD posted:

wrong dude they were creatures who had existed undisturbed by man except when ponce de leon was tramping around florida looking for the fountain of youth, the episode was all about how urban expansion disrupts wild life. also a good episode.

whats the title

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

SplitSoul posted:

the fall also stars scully as the protagonist and is really good if you like those slow burn series.

she is still gorgeous, too, goddamn.

i will watch this. bbc is some good poo poo

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Frostwerks posted:

whats the title

It was this one.

"Upon leaving the forest, Mulder states that the creature may, in fact, be an evolved version of the first Spanish conquistadors who had first settled in the forest 450 years before. Although Kinsley finds it ridiculous, Mulder believes that centuries of seclusion could be adequate for such drastic adaptations to happen."

Bruteman fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 23, 2014

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Bruteman posted:

It was this one.

"Upon leaving the forest, Mulder states that the creature may, in fact, be an evolved version of the first Spanish conquistadors who had first settled in the forest 450 years before. Although Kinsley finds it ridiculous, Mulder believes that centuries of seclusion could be adequate for such drastic adaptations to happen."

My memory of the X-Files is stupid good it appears.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
oh i rmember that one. supposed to be in appalachicola forest iirc.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Bruteman posted:

It was this one.

Also, the next episode is pretty good if not off the wall because the monster is obsessed with the movie Mask starring Cher and there's a late series episode that is just COPS featuring Mulder and Scully and then there's the episode where the dude has a tail and can shapeshift.

The show had a lot of memorable episodes is what I'm saying.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's the episode where Scully sings and it's a must-watch for that alone :3:

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Lazyfire posted:

Also, the next episode is pretty good if not off the wall because the monster is obsessed with the movie Mask starring Cher

that's the one where they just basically shrug off the fact that the guy bugbombed a bunch of women unconscious and raped them, right? that was really weird.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I liked the one with the flukeman.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

SplitSoul posted:

that's the one where they just basically shrug off the fact that the guy bugbombed a bunch of women unconscious and raped them, right? that was really weird.

Yeah, I didn't realize that until I read the description and was like "why did the monster get a happy ending he is clearly a terrible rapist?"

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
Another great one was the one where the corporate guy is going crazy due to some aliens or insects that infect people and he shoots his boss and takes mulder hostage and then mulder goes crazy for a bit. Had a they live vibe to it.

All the monster of the week ones were pretty great. The conspiracy stuff ran hot or cold with me. Some of them were neat but then there were episodes that were just so boring.

Watching the show again, any time Agent Crychek is on screen I'm all "OOOOO you fucker"

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Inside Out Mom posted:

Another great one was the one where the corporate guy is going crazy due to some aliens or insects that infect people and he shoots his boss and takes mulder hostage and then mulder goes crazy for a bit. Had a they live vibe to it.

That one is excellent because it's one of the only episodes where Mulder doesn't go "Is it really so hard to believe, Scully? Records of hive-like cults dating back to ancient Sumeria clearly show humans worshiping insectile overlords, doing their bidding until they are reduced to mindless undead drones, not unlike the Haitian zombi legends." Like it seems obvious that never revealing what the monsters are would tend to make the story scarier but The X Files hardly ever really did that, Mulder just takes a wild guess and is always right.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Bruteman posted:

It was this one.

in this episode the part where the guy looks down and sees the face in the dirt, that freaked me the gently caress out back in the day

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

cis white male posted:

A lot of X-Files is cheesier than people remember, but Jose Chung's From Outer Space is one of the greatest episodes of any tv show, It's a perfect encapsulation of the entire series and just a triumph of sci-fi storytelling. a story about stories.
yeah but it wasn't loving funny. at all.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

naem posted:

Everything is really soft and gentle and almost slow motion and very little happens ever

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

Saint Drogo posted:

if you don't think a man jerking it to Bigfoot is funny then we have nothing left to discuss

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

Saint Drogo posted:

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
my favorite thing was canadian miramar air base from the black goo episodes, same with the canadian naval bases, canada just can't make places look like san diego.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
The trip to Vegas for the Men in Black gathering or whatever where Scully get's 'drunk' was pretty good. It's always great to see the Area 51 man in black guy that Mulder switched bodies with.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Wicker Man posted:

The trip to Vegas for the Men in Black gathering or whatever where Scully get's 'drunk' was pretty good. It's always great to see the Area 51 man in black guy that Mulder switched bodies with.

moris, it was great watching mulder trying to deal with that guys family.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
99% of the best ones are Mulder era ones, but I did like the alternate dimension episode with the T1000. Last few seasons were really hit or miss, but there's the occasional great episode here or there.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Sklyansky posted:

99% of the best ones are Mulder era ones, but I did like the alternate dimension episode with the T1000. Last few seasons were really hit or miss, but there's the occasional great episode here or there.

after the drop in quality of the last season with mulder i was too burned out to keep watching after they added dogget, i also was sick of scully's new bullshit after like 2 episodes.

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

DOMELORD420
Dec 28, 2000

X-Files is completely unique in retrospect for being completely amazing or unadulterated horse poo poo from episode to episode.

Monster of the weeks forever, y'all.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Mavis Beacon Boi posted:

X-Files is completely unique in retrospect for being completely amazing or unadulterated horse poo poo from episode to episode.

Monster of the weeks forever, y'all.

there wasn't supposed to be a myth arc till gillian got knocked up and hosed everything up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
i like Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose and Jose Chung's From Outer Space as much as the next guy, but they're not typical X-Files episodes. they're basically parodies of the X-Files. so i get why everyone lists them as their favorites, but at the same time thye're not representative of the show as a whole. i think there are really good MOTW episodes that have a more legitimate claim to being The X-Files at its peak, since they actually feel like they're an honest part of the show

• Locked thread