Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

So Tim Cook and Apple have found their balls

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/ios-8-apple-cannot-unlock-iphones-ipads-law-enforcement-1466066

quote:

iOS 8: Apple Can No Longer Unlock iPhones and iPads for Law Enforcement

Apple has announced that it will no longer be able to decrypt locked iPhones and iPads when the police come knocking, as security features built into the latest version of its mobile operating system - iOS 8 - prevent this.

During criminal investigations, law enforcement agencies have been known to go to Apple to seek access to data on iOS devices that have been locked with a passcode, such as in the Oscar Pistorius case, where South African prosecutors flew to Apple's headquarters so that they could gain access to Pistorious' SMS text and WhatsApp messages as evidence for the trial.

Apple has announced that it will no longer be able to decrypt locked iPhones and iPads when the police come knocking, as security features built into the latest version of its mobile operating system - iOS 8 - prevent this.

During criminal investigations, law enforcement agencies have been known to go to Apple to seek access to data on iOS devices that have been locked with a passcode, such as in the Oscar Pistorius case, where South African prosecutors flew to Apple's headquarters so that they could gain access to Pistorious' SMS text and WhatsApp messages as evidence for the trial.

Apart from updating its privacy policy, the firm has also started a whole new Privacy section which includes an open letter to Apple users from CEO Tim Cook:

"At Apple, your trust means everything to us. That's why we respect your privacy and protect it with strong encryption, plus strict policies that govern how all data is handled.

"Our business model is very straightforward: We sell great products. We don't build a profile based on your email content or web browsing habits to sell to advertisers. We don't 'monetise' the information you store on your iPhone or in iCloud. And we don't read your email or your messages to get information to market to you. Our software and services are designed to make our devices better. Plain and simple."

I kept hearing that Tim Cook was really ethical and was going to make a stand on something, I just didn't really believe he'd actually do something like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.lnk to the past
May 3, 2005

psoting while drunk
jlaw didn't have her tits shown in vain

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Now the cops will retaliate by refusing to go apprehend suspects when you track your stolen iPhone to someone's house. Except they don't do that anyway since police are loving useless.

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Oh, put that thing away, Samurai. We all know what's going to happen. You'll swing your sword, I'll fly away, and probably say something like, "I'll be back, Samurai!" And then I'll flutter over the horizon and we probably won't see each for... about a week. And then we'll do the same thing again.

CubanMissile posted:

Now the cops will retaliate by refusing to go apprehend suspects when you track your stolen iPhone to someone's house. Except they don't do that anyway since police are loving useless.

imo they should make an app where instead you call the police, you contact a local vigilante group.

i recommend rick as he often carries a nightstick and probably killed a dude

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
The only thing Rick's ever killed was a 24-pack of Busch Light. Rick's an alcoholic and a liar.

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Oh, put that thing away, Samurai. We all know what's going to happen. You'll swing your sword, I'll fly away, and probably say something like, "I'll be back, Samurai!" And then I'll flutter over the horizon and we probably won't see each for... about a week. And then we'll do the same thing again.

CubanMissile posted:

The only thing Rick's ever killed was a 24-pack of Busch Light. Rick's an alcoholic and a liar.

but drat does have a beautiful mullet

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Glasgow Kiss posted:

imo they should make an app where instead you call the police, you contact a local vigilante group.

Operator: Hello, vigilante hotline, how may I help you.

Victim: Help some guys are trying to break into my house!

Operator: What vigilante group would you like to save you?

Victim: Rick please!

Operator: Rick will be on his way. Would you like to pay $10.00 more and wait an extra 10 minutes so his mullet will be extra shiny and combed.

Victim: Sure, I think my barricaded door can hold for that long.

Operator: Ok, Rick is being deployed. Remember Rick charges per rear end whooping he deploys as well as stuff he scavenges off the criminals. If the criminals run away on or before his arrival, he will charge you a fee.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

quote:

"Our business model is very straightforward: We sell great products. We don't build a profile based on your email content or web browsing habits to sell to advertisers. We don't 'monetise' the information you store on your iPhone or in iCloud. And we don't read your email or your messages to get information to market to you. Our software and services are designed to make our devices better. Plain and simple."

Just imagine the pages and pages of asterisks, qualifiers, addendums and legalese hidden in this "plain and simple" statement. Some law firm probably made their staff Christmas bonus drafting the 400-page document backing up every word whilst ensuring it means absolutely nothing.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

I'm not so sure about that...

From a few months ago:

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/apples-tim-cook-business-isnt-just-about-making-a-profit-9163931.html

quote:

Apple's Tim Cook: Business isn’t just about making profit

He leads a company that some would consider the epitome of ruthless global capitalism. But Apple chief executive Tim Cook has shocked some in the US with an impassioned attack on the single-minded pursuit of profit – and a direct appeal to climate-change deniers not to buy shares in his firm.

Eyewitnesses said Cook, who succeeded Steve Jobs as boss of the technology giant in 2011, was visibly angry as he took on a group of right-wing investors during a question-and-answer session at a shareholders’ meeting.

Responding to calls from the National Centre for Public Policy Research (NCPPR), a conservative think tank and investor, for Apple to refrain from putting money in green energy projects that were not profitable, he shot back that Apple did “a lot of things for reasons besides profit motive”. The chief executive added: “We want to leave the world better than we found it.”

Addressing he NCPPR representative directly, he said: “If you want me to do things only for ROI [return on investment] reasons, you should get out of this stock.”

Cook, who is generally known for his level-headed demeanour, also insisted that he places more importance on helping people and the environment than on pure profit, saying: “When we work on making our devices accessible to the blind, I don’t consider bloody ROI.”

Bryan Chaffin, a technology writer at The Mac Observer who attended the meeting on Friday, said it was: “The only time I can recall seeing Tim Cook angry.”

He added: “His body language changed and he spoke in rapid-fire sentences compared to the usual controlled way he speaks.”

The NCPPR had challenged Apple’s sustainability goals, one of which is eventually to have 100 per cent of its power come from green resources, and asked what effects such measures, along with investing in green initiatives, would have on the firm’s bottom line.

The think tank’s shareholder proposal was voted down at the meeting, which would have required Apple to declare the costs of any sustainability programmes it invested in.

Since taking the helm at Apple in 2011, Cook has made notable improvements to the company’s use of renewable energy, increasing the use of solar, wind and geothermal resources used to power Apple’s offices from around a quarter of its total energy use to more than 75 per cent.

The 53-year-old has also committed millions of dollars of Apple’s money to various good causes – in contrast to his predecessor Jobs, who reportedly once told colleagues that giving money to charity was a waste of time.

Cook has also taken action to improve the conditions at the Foxconn plants in China where iPhones and iPads are made, after widespread criticism about high rates of worker suicide and claims of exploitation.

“We believe that workers everywhere have the right to a safe and fair work environment,” he has said.

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

he sounds like a total rear end in a top hat and that's why I use android

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp
http://www.zdziarski.com/blog/?p=3875

quote:

In addition to what’s been fixed, I also outlined some things that haven’t yet been. What’s left are services that iTunes (and Xcode) talk to in order to exchange information with third party applications, or access your media folder. Apple wants you to be able access your photos and other information from your desktop while the phone is locked – for ease of use. This, unfortunately, also opens up the capability for law enforcement to also use this mechanism to dump:

Your camera reel, videos, and recordings
Podcasts, Books, and other iTunes media
All third party application data

Existing commercial forensics tools can still acquire these artifacts from your device, even running iOS 8. I have tested with my own private forensics tools, as well, and confirmed this. I dumped all of my third party application data (including caches, databases, screenshots, etc), as well as my camera reel and other media… all within a few minutes and from my locked iPhone running iOS 8 GM.

There is one big caveat though, but it’s not a big problem for law enforcement. This technique requires access to a trusted pairing record on a desktop / laptop machine that is paired with your phone, and as of iOS 8 requires physical access to the phone. What does this mean? This means that if your’e arrested, the police will seize both your iPhone and all desktop / laptop machines you own, and use files on the desktop to dump and access all of the above data on your iPhone. This can also be done at an airport, if you are detained.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

I wish my life was exciting enough for me to be worried about someone snooping my files

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CubanMissile posted:

hmm risk life and limb so some ungrateful white 20 something can post snide comments about the police on their plastic toy or go and stop real crimes

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
Apple instead chose to upload your phone's content directly to the NSA as soon as it's created.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

also poo poo like this because lol if you think apple wants to gently caress with the govt

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Well so much for that hope :(

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
Wait...the cops flew phones to Cupertino to break 4-digit passcodes? Are they REALLY that lazy?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
so what if its a key piece of evidence in a murder trial and then they get to go free because their password is 80085

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

buzzsaw.gif posted:

Wait...the cops flew phones to Cupertino to break 4-digit passcodes? Are they REALLY that lazy?

also *LOL*

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

buzzsaw.gif posted:

it's wasn't the cops but yes gently caress sa cops.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Robo Reagan posted:

hmm risk life and limb so some ungrateful white 20 something can post snide comments about the police on their plastic toy or go and stop real crimes

Theft is not a "real crime." It would take away from ticket writing time.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Robo Reagan posted:

Yeah, theft isn't a crime.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Dr_Amazing posted:

Theft is not a "real crime." It would take away from ticket writing time.

THEFT ISNT A CRIME

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Torka posted:

I wish my life was exciting enough for me to be worried about someone snooping my files

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Robo Reagan posted:

"real crimes"

no time to retrieve your stolen property citizen, somewhere there's a black man walking around and I'm the only one who can put a stop to it.

texasmed
May 27, 2004

Shadoer posted:

So Tim Cook and Apple have found their balls

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/ios-8-apple-cannot-unlock-iphones-ipads-law-enforcement-1466066

quote:

quote:

iOS 8: Apple Can No Longer Unlock iPhones and iPads for Law Enforcement

Apart from updating its privacy policy, the firm has also started a whole new Privacy section which includes an open letter to Apple users from CEO Tim Cook:

"At Apple, your trust means everything to us. That's why we respect your privacy and protect it with strong encryption, plus strict policies that govern how all data is handled.

I kept hearing that Tim Cook was really ethical and was going to make a stand on something, I just didn't really believe he'd actually do something like this.

Apple

During

Apple

During

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...
*fills smartphone memory with thousands of dickpics*

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Libelous Slander posted:

*fills smartphone memory with thousands of dickpics*

*gets hacked*

at least it wasnt the cops *shrug*

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
theft should be legal against apple users

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...

Cream_Filling posted:

*gets hacked*

at least it wasnt the cops *shrug*

i wanted the world to see

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD
Not likely to bother the Feds much considering they just intercept everything through the carrier and store it away anyways.

CAMP FARTING ROCKS
Jan 14, 2005

This is more hilarious to me, because his direct appeal to climate change deniers to not buy Apple stocks would be insanely dangerous for him as a CEO if it weren't a completely transparent ploy to attract a particular market share - people who are willing to believe that a company that literally drives its manufacturing employees to suicide making fatuous garbage for the lowest possible cost is in any way ethically superior to any other major organisation because it 'goes green'.

CEOs can and will be sued if they make decisions that are not in the best financial interests of their companies. Telling certain people not to buy stocks is exactly that, unless it's part of an ulterior plan to solidify holdings with the company's core demographic: in this case, pretentious idiots.

Yomofo
Jun 7, 2005

by Cyrano4747
I can totally picture Rick in my head right now. He's the guy I knew from the Applebees in Chattanooga TN. Best mullet ever.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Fargo Fukes posted:

Just imagine the pages and pages of asterisks, qualifiers, addendums and legalese hidden in this "plain and simple" statement. Some law firm probably made their staff Christmas bonus drafting the 400-page document backing up every word whilst ensuring it means absolutely nothing.

wasnt apple already caught reading peoples emails and stuff? just not to sell to advertisers so technically that statement is still true

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

theft is a victimless crime

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Zazi posted:

CEOs can and will be sued if they make decisions that are not in the best financial interests of their companies. Telling certain people not to buy stocks is exactly that, unless it's part of an ulterior plan to solidify holdings with the company's core demographic: in this case, pretentious idiots.
How do they go about suing/defending against those kinds of claims in that kind of situation? Like it would go to court and one side would claim he's purposefully throwing away businesses and costing them money then Tim would be like "no guys it's just a ploy to sucker a different group of people in" and his lawyers would bust out figure one comparing suckers gained vs climate change deniers lost or what?

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
More likely that the board just decides a vote of no confidence and finds another sucker to do what they want. But i just took a few business classes and read a few books idk

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Zazi posted:

This is more hilarious to me, because his direct appeal to climate change deniers to not buy Apple stocks would be insanely dangerous for him as a CEO if it weren't a completely transparent ploy to attract a particular market share - people who are willing to believe that a company that literally drives its manufacturing employees to suicide making fatuous garbage for the lowest possible cost is in any way ethically superior to any other major organisation because it 'goes green'.

its actually really fuckin hard to make a case like that stick though

also it's not best financial interests it's best interests period.

look up "fiduciary duties of corporate officers" or similar to read more

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Glasgow Kiss posted:

I recommend an app where your stolen phone secretly calls 911 and gets the holder swatted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp

Parallax Scroll posted:

theft is a victimless crime

*steals ur respirator*

• Locked thread