Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Scorpion is loosely based on the life of genius and computer expert, Walter O'Brien. He and his crew of super smart fumbling bumblers are recruited by the U.S. government as a brainy SEAL Team 6 to tackle problems that only their mix of intelligence and awkwardness can solve.

Sound like The Big Bang Theory as a procedural? CBS agrees, and the show is getting the ultimate pimp slot, directly following TBBT. Stars include the T-1000 and the guy who hosed Stifler's mom in American Pie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU_hJscvdXU

Meet The Team

Walter O'Brien (Elyes Gabel) is a former Dothraki and genius hacker with an IQ of 197:

Toby Curis (Eddie Kaye Thomas) hosed Stifler's mom and is a world-class shrink:

Sylvester Dodd (Ari Stidham) is not the guy from The Book of Mormon, but he is a human calculator:

Happy Quinn (Jadyn Wong) is the token minority and a mechanical prodigy:

Agent Cabe Gallo (Robert Patrick) recruits Scorpion to Homeland Security:

Paige Dineen (Katharine McPhee) is a waitress whose son is a genius:

My hope is the show will be like Numb3rs 2.0; it'll probably be more like Transformers 1, but that's not the worst thing in the world. To that end, the pilot was directed by Justin Lin who helmed The Fast and the Furious 3 through 6.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Sep 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

So the first episode's plot hinges on some computer malfunction that means all the autopilots turn off for an airport and the planes are just circling overhead until they run out of fuel and crash. Meaning none of the pilots know how to land without the computer, so they'll just all die?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

blue squares posted:

So the first episode's plot hinges on some computer malfunction that means all the autopilots turn off for an airport and the planes are just circling overhead until they run out of fuel and crash. Meaning none of the pilots know how to land without the computer, so they'll just all die?
I think the problem is that the air traffic control tower can't communicate with the planes and the pilots don't know what's going on with the airport - terrorism, ebola outbreak, etc. With 50+ planes in the sky, they need guidance for orderly landings.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Ok makes sense

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Can we just agree that this show's connection to reality involves chewing gum and scotch tape, and that we should probably judge it on other merits?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

DivisionPost posted:

Can we just agree that this show's connection to reality involves chewing gum and scotch tape, and that we should probably judge it on other merits?

But the CBS promo clearly states it's based on a true story!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

GaussianCopula posted:

But the CBS promo clearly states it's based on a true story!
The true story is that Katharine McPhee would be a waitress in a diner if not for American Idol.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Josh Lyman posted:

I think the problem is that the air traffic control tower can't communicate with the planes and the pilots don't know what's going on with the airport - terrorism, ebola outbreak, etc. With 50+ planes in the sky, they need guidance for orderly landings.

Given how busy the average airport is this is a real issue in the world. Why radio wouldn't work I don't know.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I got the opposite impression: what if NCIS was quirkier and nerdier?

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

blue squares posted:

Isn't that the plot of Diehard 2?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I like to pretend DieHard 2 doesnt exist

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Rewatching the part where Robert Patrick pitches the team, he says, "Incoming flights, 56 of them are out of comm range. Without landing guidance, those planes run out of fuel."

In order for air traffic control to guide those low-fuel planes into visual landings, they need access to a VHF radio that can communicate on the same frequency as the planes. The team is surely able to fix LAX's computers but not before one plane runs completely out of fuel and has to land. Assuming all of LAX's radios are down, the logical solution is to use the radio at one of LA's smaller airports. The problem is that I don't believe airports have overlapping radio coverage, and it's unlikely the smaller airports' radio are powerful enough to reach the planes approaching LAX. However, there's an abandoned airport that can, so main guy and Katharine McPhee steal a Ferrari to race there and use its radio to land the plane that's completely out of fuel.

Hah, I didn't intend to, but I probably just wrote the summary for the pilot.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 22, 2014

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

So a pet peeve of mine is people who whip out their IQ and are really smug about it so based on the previews I'll probably hate this show.

"Let me tell you about how big my mind penis is" :smug:

Should be a fun time.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

LeafyOrb posted:

So a pet peeve of mine is people who whip out their IQ and are really smug about it so based on the previews I'll probably hate this show.

"Let me tell you about how big my mind penis is" :smug:

Should be a fun time.
There are plenty of things about the show that are valid to criticize. One throwaway line is not one of them. In fact, one could argue that your fixation on that line is just as spergy as the line itself.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He's actually said it like 4 more times since he made that post.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Not a bad show so far; intellectual smugness aside.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

He's actually said it like 4 more times since he made that post.
He said it once more and Katharine McPhee said it once, but point taken.

I actually really like how they're handling the technical challenges of the problem. Everything seems reasonable to me, if unlikely. Then again, I'm an electrical and computer engineer, not an aeronautical engineer.

I just hope they branch out from just tech problems. That's something I liked about Numb3rs.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Okay, so now they're in contact with the pilot of one plane.

Why don't they have him land and make this data transfer much easier?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They could have removed that panel in advance, he just wanted to do that.

Hope the plane is using DHCP.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Zoran posted:

Okay, so now they're in contact with the pilot of one plane.

Why don't they have him land and make this data transfer much easier?
Don't think the airport is big enough. Short runway = firery death.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Josh Lyman posted:

Don't think the airport is big enough. Short runway = firery death.

Yeah, but they could just land at LAX…

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Zoran posted:

Yeah, but they could just land at LAX…

No time, I think.

I'm curious how they work Katharine McPhee into the regular cast from here.

Oh, there it is. A little forced.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

No time, I think.

I'm curious how they work Katharine McPhee into the regular cast from here.

Oh, there it is. A little forced.
Glorified babysitter is somehow befitting of McPhee.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

That was pretty entertaining. Acting is fine, plotting is well-paced. Definitely meant to appeal to a wide audience, as exemplified by the dialogue discussion above, but I can dig it.

Unfortunately, we're unlikely to see much live posting since the show airs opposite Sleepy Hollow, but hopefully goons watch it on delay.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Holy poo poo plugging in an Ethernet cable from a plane to a laptop in a sports car racing underneath the aforementioned plane has to be one of the gloriously stupidest things I've ever seen. And that's coming immediately after I watched Ben Franklin trying to destroy a key to purgatory with lightning.

But then it was revealed that Katherine McPhee is going to stick around to chide nerds for being rude to dumb people every week and that's when I decided to not give this show a second chance.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

I really enjoyed it. I thought the cat-5 hanging out of the plane was completely stupid, but the show was entertaining enough that I'm willing to let it go. I'm in.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

So overall this pilot wasn't quite as terrible as I was expecting, but it wasn't very good either. The plane Ethernet was loving stupid and half the poo poo they did straight up wouldn't work but our main characters aren't terrible and there's some potential there.

That said I do think the show requires a certain amount of suspension of disbelief that these geniuses would both already be together, poor and jobless instead of being richer than god. I also have to say the business with Paige's kid is both incredibly forced and quite a bit misguided as well. The show doesn't seem to realize that there is difference between not be able to relate to people because you're smarter than them and just being autistic. The way they talked about the kid's issues made him just seem autistic and smart rather than just being a genius who only speaks genius language. The show seems to be conflating the two and is generalizing a whole bunch with how "Geniuses" supposedly are.

That said it's only the first episode so we'll see where it goes.

LeafyOrb fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Sep 23, 2014

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

lelandjs posted:

Holy poo poo plugging in an Ethernet cable from a plane to a laptop in a sports car racing underneath the aforementioned plane has to be one of the gloriously stupidest things I've ever seen. And that's coming immediately after I watched Ben Franklin trying to destroy a key to purgatory with lightning.

But then it was revealed that Katherine McPhee is going to stick around to chide nerds for being rude to dumb people every week and that's when I decided to not give this show a second chance.

Wow, Winston Zeddamore was in this episode and even he couldn't save it.

This show really stretches the whole "super genius who can do anything" aspect but the smart people constantly spouting out specific details about things is just awful, awful writing. Plus the plot point with "Oh, just kill the power and all the secure doors just open right up" was stupid, but then expert psychoanalyst guy predicting exactly where to look from the photo of the boss was even worse.

And holy gently caress, Katherine McPhee was annoying as poo poo. She just constantly reprimands them for not being normal, and then is able to figure them out and lecture them to work better.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

lelandjs posted:

Stupid, yes. Glorious, also yes. Like a headless horseman with a machine gun.

quote:

I hope it won't be that bad. Her primary purpose is to be Walter's love interest.

LeafyOrb posted:

So overall this pilot wasn't quite as terrible as I was expecting, but it wasn't very good either. The plane Ethernet was loving stupid and half the poo poo they did straight up wouldn't work but our main characters aren't terrible and there's some potential there.

That said I do think the show requires a certain amount of suspension of disbelief that these geniuses would both already be together, poor and jobless instead of being richer than god. I also have to say the business with Paige's kid is both incredibly forced and quite a bit misguided as well. The show doesn't seem to realize that there is difference between not be able to relate to people because you're smarter than them and just being autistic. The way they talked about the kid's issues made him just seem autistic and smart rather than just being a genius who only speaks genius language. The show seems to be conflating the two and is generalizing a whole bunch with how "Geniuses" supposedly are.
I thought the kid was a genius who just happened to be autistic, but I agree the final scene when he talks to Walter in Paige's apartment was problematic.

pentyne posted:

Wow, Winston Zeddamore was in this episode and even he couldn't save it.

This show really stretches the whole "super genius who can do anything" aspect but the smart people constantly spouting out specific details about things is just awful, awful writing. Plus the plot point with "Oh, just kill the power and all the secure doors just open right up" was stupid, but then expert psychoanalyst guy predicting exactly where to look from the photo of the boss was even worse.
This is how procedurals with "smart" people go, whether it's House, Sherlock, or something else. Obviously, this show isn't as good as those, but they are in the top tier of shows from the past decade; I'd be happy for Scorpion to be the top tier of shows this season.

quote:

And holy gently caress, Katherine McPhee was annoying as poo poo. She just constantly reprimands them for not being normal, and then is able to figure them out and lecture them to work better.
The "berating" when Walter insults her nail polish wasn't berating at all, and I don't think they went too far when they argued outside the restaurant. McPhee certainly elicits a knee jerk reaction, but I thought she was palatable.

-----

Shows like this will always attract the ire of goons, and it's your prerogative to think it's unrealistic. But to me, that's looking for a nit to pick. Let's compare to goon favorite Sleepy Hollow, which I also watch. The conceit of that show is that we shouldn't think twice about supernatural elements; the conceit of Scorpion is that not everything shown is necessarily possible in real life. Sleepy Hollow also has a "super genius who can do anything" in Ichabod. Anything, that is, that doesn't involve modern technology. To be fair, Ichabod is more likeable than Walter, but we've only spent 1 hour with Walter.

If you gave the pilot an honest chance and are unconvinced, that's fine. But I like to think I'm pretty even-handed about TV as I watch an extremely wide variety and large number of shows, and I thought this was entertaining and fun. And that's all I can ask for.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I really wanted to like this show. It was OK.

My biggest issue is that this episode just wasn't very exciting. At no point in the show did I think that any of the planes would actually crash. I don't know how they are going to make an action show exciting without any action in it. It might be intellectually stimulating but there was no excitement for me.

The other big issue for me was that I didn't like Walter, at all. I don't know if it was the actor or the script but, I just didn't have any empathy or compassion or feelings for him. He wasn't a bad actor; it was just a blaahhh character to me. I kind of think that's going to be a killer for the show because you want your main character to have some pizzazz to him.

I'll continue to watch but I just get the feeling that this is a nice 2.5 hour movie that has been turned into a TV show.

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party
The show was bad and won't make it to next season. So many plot holes and not a single character in the team that wasn't bland.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
The plot of this pilot was terribly ridiculous, although admittedly I know far too much than any non-pilot should about airplanes and ATC (pilots land at airports without a tower all the time, they have a plane-to-plane UNICOM channel, and once it was obvious they couldn't get anyone, they'd head to their alternate airports before running out of fuel). It's sort of like all those episodes of TV that have a computer in them ("The IP is coming from inside the firewall!").

I may give it a second shot next week, because I like some of the stuff, but if all the plots are that dumb... no.

:commissar:
(Formerly Colonial Air Force)

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Colonial Air Force posted:

The plot of this pilot was terribly ridiculous, although admittedly I know far too much than any non-pilot should about airplanes and ATC (pilots land at airports without a tower all the time, they have a plane-to-plane UNICOM channel, and once it was obvious they couldn't get anyone, they'd head to their alternate airports before running out of fuel). It's sort of like all those episodes of TV that have a computer in them ("The IP is coming from inside the firewall!").

I may give it a second shot next week, because I like some of the stuff, but if all the plots are that dumb... no.

You are telling me that a corrupted update of some computer system that ATC uses would not result in 57 planes crashing unless some super smart guys who are all socially akward, because obviously smart people are not allowed to be socially well adjusted, connect to one of the planes via ethernet cable while driving below it in a Ferrari, who were the only people smart enough to come up with the idea of "lets restore to the last working configuartion from our backups" but are contacted to late to use the backups because those are only stored for 12h and have to be physically taken from that serverfarm to a dinner?

But I can deal with all that, my problem is Walter O'Brian. First of all, who casts a former Dothraki Bloodraider as walter O'BRIAN who lived on a farm in Ireland? Sorry if that sounds terrible racist but that guy does not look like a Walter O'Brian to me. Not only that but he is incredibly annoying with his emo-mentality he got from writing some kind of code that was supposed to guide aid packages that was used for BOMBS? Like holy gently caress, what kind of aid packages get delivered the same way bombs get and need special code? But thats not enough, he has to "connect" with this kid (sidenote: anyone who gets check-mated in 8 turns is no grandmaster in chess) in an obviouse ploy to get naked with the single mother of that boy.

Let's hope that Walter O'Brian dies because I really like this show that is based on a true story.

Quasimango
Mar 10, 2011

God damn you.
A promo spot for this show told me that Plato's IQ was 170. Thank you for that, show.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

McPhee was hardly the worst actor in this show, I don't know what you're all talking about.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

McPhee was hardly the worst actor in this show, I don't know what you're all talking about.

Her lines were excruciatingly bad. The show sets up Walter as this super genius without equal and when he's struggling all it takes is a good old talking to by a waitress who knows a thing or two about people.

Plus the fact when the show has all these federal agents around them and yet the waitress is the one who goes with them to the other airport and is dragged along to help in the crazy scheme.

The show had to find a way to shoehorn her in, but they did it in the worst way imaginable. Oh, and maybe it's just me, but if she's gone 8 years without realizing her son is a "genius"(but lets face it, autistic) then she's a pretty oblivious person so she shouldn't even be able to do all her common sense explanations to the super-geniuses.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

pentyne posted:

Her lines were excruciatingly bad. The show sets up Walter as this super genius without equal and when he's struggling all it takes is a good old talking to by a waitress who knows a thing or two about people.

Plus the fact when the show has all these federal agents around them and yet the waitress is the one who goes with them to the other airport and is dragged along to help in the crazy scheme.

The show had to find a way to shoehorn her in, but they did it in the worst way imaginable. Oh, and maybe it's just me, but if she's gone 8 years without realizing her son is a "genius"(but lets face it, autistic) then she's a pretty oblivious person so she shouldn't even be able to do all her common sense explanations to the super-geniuses.
I don't understand why she keeps getting parts. I'm not saying it's not the script's fault, but she keeps getting put in high profile shows. Smash, I can understand, because she can sing. But for this show? There are tons of beautiful 30-year-old women you could cast.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

I don't understand why she keeps getting parts. I'm not saying it's not the script's fault, but she keeps getting put in high profile shows.
Lower asking price versus someone her same age with Emmys or Oscars under her belt.

I hope this show isn't always over the top like the pilot was. The whole plane thing was ridiculous. I guess it's fortunate airline builders waste money to add another 50 feet to all CAT5 cables for no other reason than to just do it because space on an airlines isn't limited at all, right?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

pentyne posted:

Sure, but she's not the writer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Actually, one thing that REALLY bothered me was that Walter initially thought it was going to be a normal backup job. He expected it to be a simple reinstallation job from a CD.

Surely the writers could have had the IT guys at the airport already having done that.

• Locked thread