Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

"The U.S. Department of Homeland Security has certified Scorpion as being of National Interest to the United States economy and granted him an Extraordinary Ability EB 1-1 Visa (also granted to Albert Einstein and Winston Churchill)."

EB-1 Visas are given to PhD students. The whole thing is more trumped up than the resume of a college athlete.

Winston Churchill, well known US immigrant :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

uublog posted:

Well if you made a tv show about yourself, wouldn't you have everyone else :worship: you all the time? :colbert:
Unless IRL Walter O'Brien is bankrolling the show, I dunno. I actually don't understand how him of all people gets EP credits on Scorpion while the guy who created Sleepy Hollow only gets Supervising credits.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
The real Walter reminds me of that kid in high school who thought he was smarter then he really was. I bet his parents always let him win at Candyland too. From what I can tell he hasn't done anything with his high IQ.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

joebuddah posted:

The real Walter reminds me of that kid in high school who thought he was smarter then he really was. I bet his parents always let him win at Candyland too. From what I can tell he hasn't done anything with his high IQ.

He's created a smokescreen of blatant lies and bs that has made him really rich. Whether or not he actually thinks of himself as "one of the 5 smartest people on the planet" isn't clear but given the tone of the show if he has any creative control then he's a deluded man child.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
I refuse to believe RL Walter O'Brien doesn't exert a great degree of creative control on the show because conceivably the only other person in actual charge of creative decisions is this guy and while his pedigree isn't sterling silver, there's plenty enough there to tell me there's no way he's the one cocking it up.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

pentyne posted:

He's created a smokescreen of blatant lies and bs that has made him really rich. Whether or not he actually thinks of himself as "one of the 5 smartest people on the planet" isn't clear but given the tone of the show if he has any creative control then he's a deluded man child.

Is he actually really rich? Or, more appropriately, was he already really rich before this awful show got greenlit? Nothing about him screams wild success, and it seems like he was working normal tech industry jobs up until pretty recently. This whole thing is loving fascinating and I'd love to read an honest account of how this show actually came about.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Lol holy poo poo Walter is planning to digitally upload his sister's mind into a computer in order to "cure" her.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Well it worked in Transcendence... I think. I didn't watch that piece of junk.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
Extraordinary Ability

You must be able to demonstrate extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics through sustained national or international acclaim. Your achievements must be recognized in your field through extensive documentation. No offer of employment is required.

You must meet 3 of 10 criteria* below, or provide evidence of a one-time achievement (i.e., Pulitzer, Oscar, Olympic Medal)

Doesn't sound very hard actually. By those definitions Justin Bieber could get one.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > Scorpion: Use your empty chip bag to connect the plane's serial cable.

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > Scorpion: Just use concentrated micro-frequency waves.

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > Scorpion: Awkward nerds vs the Russian mob

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > Scorpion: MY IQ is higher than YOUR IQ.

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > Scorpion: Walter O'brien, genius superhero man of action

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > Scorpion: Less believable than the A-Team.

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > Scorpion: Walter O'brien is dripping with bitches

Digital Prophet fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Nov 4, 2014

Maia
Aug 15, 2003

Sweet.

Sober posted:

Unless IRL Walter O'Brien is bankrolling the show, I dunno. I actually don't understand how him of all people gets EP credits on Scorpion while the guy who created Sleepy Hollow only gets Supervising credits.

The guy who created Sleepy Hollow was an assistant when he created it and was completely rewritten by Kurtzman and Orci. Walter O'Brien is a Guy With an Interesting Story. That's Hollywood in a nutshell for you.

I guarantee you this is a matter of decent writers who've given up and let the network make a lot of creative decisions. Also NCIS lady wasn't conned into being on this show, it's synergy and she was as horrible as everything else on this show.

I agree that a show that hews more closely to Walter O'Brien's story (con man basically) would be more interesting.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
Wow, this show is really bad but Katharine McPhee is really pretty.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
That this show exists at all makes me wish they would just pick up global frequency already.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

Nevvy Z posted:

That this show exists at all makes me wish they would just pick up global frequency already.

The pilot was sort of goofy but it had potential and it was so much better than this show.

I couldn't even finish this episode. I got about 20 minutes in and then just couldn't take it anymore.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I got to the electrified tripwire before I decided to go for a walk. Actually getting exercise was more appealing than this show. :btroll:

Zion
Feb 25, 2005

It's a fez. I wear a fez now. Fezzes are cool.
I don't hate this show until I realize this is literally some chubby nerd's fanfic about himself. Up until then, it's just cheesy and outlandish. I think if anything as minor as the RL dude's picture went viral, this show's viewership would drop to zero.

Zion fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Nov 18, 2014

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
This episode was actually decent. Oh course it went all in with the implausible conspiracy but still managed to be fun to watch, probably because the focus wasn't centered on O'Brian and the team being spastic nerds, but on the FBI guy and a secret from his past.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
I think that this was the best episode so far. I expected a better bugout kit from these guys. The show is really improving, I'm sure that real thieves and conartists think Leverage is over the top.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Welp, its back to complete garbage.

"Allright, lets tell this team of rag-tag misfits top secret classified information"
okay, well thats the premise of the show I can get past that.

"Meet Lt. Army Guy, he's in charge."
"Oh, well we don't really do 'following orders'"
Regular woman has to momsplain to him that the soldiers are touchy because one of their own died, reign it in.

"Hey, gruff FBI guy, I need to go with Walter and the others"
"you're going to take off for 36 hours? Don't you have a son?"
"I can call his semi-deadbeat father, the team needs me!"
so the "teach walter and co correct human emotional responses" now needs to join them in a mission where they go into an active warzone to recover some secret radar tech and a pilot's corpse just so she can remind them to mind their manners when they find the body.

Then as they're leaving for the plane, a tearful woman comes up to them, not the trained soldiers, and goes "Are you going to find my husband's body? Please recover his necklace and place this photo of his family in his pocket" sobs, emotional music plays in background.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Zion posted:

I don't hate this show until I realize this is literally some chubby nerd's fanfic about himself. Up until then, it's just cheesy and outlandish.

I spent most of tonight's episode thinking this. I mean really, coming up with some dumb reason for national networks to hack in and get LIVE FEED so they could ooh and ahh about HEROIC WALTER O'BRIEN on national television

DID I MENTION THIS IS WALTER O'BRIEN THE HERO

OMG WALTER O'BRIEN IS BRAVELY DOING A THING

NOW THE IDOL OF MILLIONS

WALTER O'BRIEN, FOLKS

I BET YOU'RE SORRY YOU WOULDN'T GO OUT WITH HIM NOW, CYNTHIA

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Didn't ER do this episode 20 years ago, and like, a million times better?

GateheaD
Sep 27, 2005

Gatorade me bitch
Neighbours did on Aus TV with a car and some hoses for the guy to breathe through

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

mushroom_spore posted:

I spent most of tonight's episode thinking this. I mean really, coming up with some dumb reason for national networks to hack in and get LIVE FEED so they could ooh and ahh about HEROIC WALTER O'BRIEN on national television

DID I MENTION THIS IS WALTER O'BRIEN THE HERO

OMG WALTER O'BRIEN IS BRAVELY DOING A THING

NOW THE IDOL OF MILLIONS

WALTER O'BRIEN, FOLKS

I BET YOU'RE SORRY YOU WOULDN'T GO OUT WITH HIM NOW, CYNTHIA

The "Walter gets tons of girls" stuff is really weird especially given that the real Walter claims to be asexual because his intellect is so dominant he doesn't have any space for emotions like love in his brain.

The kid is also annoying as gently caress. And the CIA plot was beyond stupid as hell. There's no way in hell a child would ever being interrogated alone, much less a 6/7/8 (I have no idea of this kid's age) being a possible Mexican cartel ally.

I cannot loving stand how hard this show goes in with the "people like us are different, we can only communicate with others like us". It's not like autistic people share some special language or camaraderie and plenty of brilliant people throughout history have been completely capable of engaging in normal social communication. And there is a special level of stupid for video games designed to be in TV shows that look absolutely awful.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA
I'm really looking forward to the future where every scripted television show is terrible delusionist propaganda by one loving shithead who wants to make his life seem less empty and lovely

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

pentyne posted:

the real Walter claims to be asexual because his intellect is so dominant he doesn't have any space for emotions like love in his brain.

Given his weird fetish for women (who are of course generally good soft emotional creatures that are bad at math) serving as mind-reading, handholding, attractive mommy figures for emotionally stunted manchildren who are too "intelligent" and "superior" to communicate in anything other than grunting, abrasiveness, and math equations, I somehow doubt this even if his reasoning weren't stupid. Didn't the show even start going down that road with government man and his ex-wife? "Haha I too have to translate for this rear end in a top hat man, haha, that's just how it is don't you know, because we're women." I don't know, I'm starting to just block out all episodes except whatever I've most recently watched, but I'm pretty sure that happened.

Have we discovered Walter's reddit AMA yet? Because I stumbled across it the other night and it's quite a thing. https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2h5c7p/i_am_walter_obrien_the_inspiration_behind_the_cbs/

For highlights just click Walter's name so you can skip to the threads he actually responded to. Some of my favorites:

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2h5c7p/i_am_walter_obrien_the_inspiration_behind_the_cbs/ckpij2g?context=3
https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2h5c7p/i_am_walter_obrien_the_inspiration_behind_the_cbs/ckpi6mi?context=3

I can't find it now but somewhere in this mess there was also a rambling comment about how his "fourth highest IQ ever recorded" can't be proven now because oh well you see he was nine and his teacher didn't keep the paperwork and :downswords: also he determined it was the fourth highest IQ ever recorded by doing a math equation instead of actually looking at the highest IQs ever recorded or something.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

mushroom_spore posted:

Given his weird fetish for women (who are of course generally good soft emotional creatures that are bad at math) serving as mind-reading, handholding, attractive mommy figures for emotionally stunted manchildren who are too "intelligent" and "superior" to communicate in anything other than grunting, abrasiveness, and math equations, I somehow doubt this even if his reasoning weren't stupid. Didn't the show even start going down that road with government man and his ex-wife? "Haha I too have to translate for this rear end in a top hat man, haha, that's just how it is don't you know, because we're women." I don't know, I'm starting to just block out all episodes except whatever I've most recently watched, but I'm pretty sure that happened.

Have we discovered Walter's reddit AMA yet? Because I stumbled across it the other night and it's quite a thing. https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2h5c7p/i_am_walter_obrien_the_inspiration_behind_the_cbs/

For highlights just click Walter's name so you can skip to the threads he actually responded to. Some of my favorites:

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2h5c7p/i_am_walter_obrien_the_inspiration_behind_the_cbs/ckpij2g?context=3
https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2h5c7p/i_am_walter_obrien_the_inspiration_behind_the_cbs/ckpi6mi?context=3

I can't find it now but somewhere in this mess there was also a rambling comment about how his "fourth highest IQ ever recorded" can't be proven now because oh well you see he was nine and his teacher didn't keep the paperwork and :downswords: also he determined it was the fourth highest IQ ever recorded by doing a math equation instead of actually looking at the highest IQs ever recorded or something.

Nothing is more masturbatory in the entire show then the line "Einstein's IQ was 165, mine is 193". Right, but Einstein actually contributed to society, rather then just con a bunch of people into thinking he was an amazing corporate consultant or something.

And he picks the one person who impacted the 20th century to such a degree that his actually name entered the English a language as a reference to high human intelligence and trying to imply "I'M 30 POINTS BETTER THEN EINSTEIN THATS HOW SMART I AM"

hahahaha holy gently caress "supernannies" with a high EQ and reasonable IQ to babysit the super-geniuses. nothing creepy about that at all. Oh, and I'm assuming "high EQ" means only women, since primal men are too instinctual to score high enough.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jan 9, 2015

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
I caught the episode after the Pats/Colts blowout cause i was sprawled on the couch and didn't feel like getting up to look for the remote.

Based entirely on this episode, it wasn't a bad show at all, a bit light and campy like NCIS/any of CBS' procedurals, and about as believable as any time McGee and Abby are on screen together in NCIS (have they done the "two people on a keyboard makes it type faster!" thing yet?) but a decent set of characters that were fun to kill an hour before the rerun of Shameless started.

Not something i'm likely to continue to tune into, but i was expecting complete crap after hearing about it, and was surprised to find it on par with NCIS/CSI Wherever.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
This was an entire episode dedicated to Walter constantly having to tell people "Love isn't real, its just a reaction to brain chemicals"

And, shocker, the team mom now finds herself strangely attracted to Walter, and gives him odd looks every time he does another love rant.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

pentyne posted:

This was an entire episode dedicated to Walter constantly having to tell people "Love isn't real, its just a reaction to brain chemicals"

And, shocker, the team mom now finds herself strangely attracted to Walter, and gives him odd looks every time he does another love rant.
It's typical paint by numbers TV writing, what did you expect?

Walter, in addition to the rest of the /scorp/ crew, are nice to the kid because they all see a bit of themselves in him and want to help because they all relate to being the awkward kid back in the day. Walter, of course, leans more toward a more fathering and nurturing role with the kid that makes Mommy McPhee all weak-kneed and googly pants.

So, of course they are going to wedge a love and feelings B-plot into the series to come back and revisit periodically. It must be proven that women eat this poo poo up because just about every series in existence does it in some shape or form.

Personally, I feel it's the "Moonlighting Kiss of Ultimate TV Show Death" because once the "will they or won't they" tension is removed the entire show downslides into typical relationship pablum. X-Files did it. Cheers did it. Friends did it from every which way and the list goes on and on.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Robnoxious posted:

It's typical paint by numbers TV writing, what did you expect?

Walter, in addition to the rest of the /scorp/ crew, are nice to the kid because they all see a bit of themselves in him and want to help because they all relate to being the awkward kid back in the day. Walter, of course, leans more toward a more fathering and nurturing role with the kid that makes Mommy McPhee all weak-kneed and googly pants.

So, of course they are going to wedge a love and feelings B-plot into the series to come back and revisit periodically. It must be proven that women eat this poo poo up because just about every series in existence does it in some shape or form.

Personally, I feel it's the "Moonlighting Kiss of Ultimate TV Show Death" because once the "will they or won't they" tension is removed the entire show downslides into typical relationship pablum. X-Files did it. Cheers did it. Friends did it from every which way and the list goes on and on.

Surprised with Finch they haven't gotten Stifler's Mom yet. Eddie K Thomas is a better looking guy hands down. You'd think CBS would learn from their other procedurals. Gibbs rarely gets the romance side plots, nor do any of the leads on CSI wherever. It's always a main cast member, but not the star. The show focuses on Walter, dont make him the romance one. The psychologist would actually be more fun to see in romance poo poo.

And agreed about it always being the kiss of death. There's a reason the only way the 5th season of Remington Steele only gets remembered for loving Brosnan out of Bond and making him wait drat near a decade to play him.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Robnoxious posted:

You're blaming this on women when this entire show is literally a sad middle-aged nerd/pathological liar writing idealized fanfiction about himself while claiming it's all totally real in real life you guys? :raise:

AA is for Quitters posted:

Not something i'm likely to continue to tune into, but i was expecting complete crap after hearing about it, and was surprised to find it on par with NCIS/CSI Wherever.

Basically what you're missing that makes it much worse than NCIS is knowing anything about the hilariously bizarre life and personality of the actual Walter, which casts an otherwise dumb-but-fun show in a whole new light. A sad, creepy new light. It'd be like if Gibbs' character had been named Mark Harmon instead, and Harmon-the-actor went around all the time telling people about how he really is an ultra cool marine sniper everyone's intimidated by because he's too COOL for RULES, oh the reason you can't find any military record of him at all is because it was all super top secret because of the time he saved the president from a simultaneous attack by dinosaurs and aliens, but he definitely did that while tons of (totally real) hot women longed to cure his tragic (but manly) loneliness that's caused by being too full of awesomeness and having no room left in his entire body for this emotion you call love.

NCIS is dumb-but-fun, but it was intentionally created to be dumb-but-fun and is not claiming to be anything else.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

mushroom_spore posted:

Basically what you're missing that makes it much worse than NCIS is knowing anything about the hilariously bizarre life and personality of the actual Walter, which casts an otherwise dumb-but-fun show in a whole new light. A sad, creepy new light.

Whatever silly entertainment value this show has is completely ruined by how insanely masturbatory the show is for the real Walter. For fucks sake every single episode starts with "I HAVE THE 4TH HIGHEST IQ EVER RECORDED! ITS 197 AND EINSTEIN WAS ONLY 160! LOOK AT ME AND HOW GREAT I AM!" and then the actor O'Brien gets tons of pussy, upstages professional soldiers, and basically tells experts in their field that they're a joke and then he does it better.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

mushroom_spore posted:

You're blaming this on women when this entire show is literally a sad middle-aged nerd/pathological liar writing idealized fanfiction about himself while claiming it's all totally real in real life you guys? :raise:
I'm not blaming any particular gender, but there must be some study somewhere that tells pretty much all tv writers to shoehorn in some relationship angle even when it isn't needed. It's a cheap goto plot device that in my opinion ruins the product as a whole. It's being done to grab some demographic or shows wouldn't constantly do it.

Now, I'm not saying /scorpion/ is Shakespeare tier story telling by a long shot but for a freshman show is it really necessary to rush down Romance Road with Mommy McPhee and Walter? That's season 5 type poo poo when the idea well is dried up.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA
Forgot to post last week that this, for some reason (CBS doesn't read the awful press their shows create?) your renewed for a second season so we're stuck hating this masturbatory poo poo a lot longer

Also it was weird to see the actor who plays Walter at the very end of Interstellar

e: ^^^ lol are you saying that the idea well isn't already dried up? How many different ways can you write "Walter is the smartest and greatest person ever to exist, all women want him, all men want to be him"?

uublog fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 19, 2015

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

uublog posted:

e: ^^^ lol are you saying that the idea well isn't already dried up? How many different ways can you write "Walter is the smartest and greatest person ever to exist, all women want him, all men want to be him"?

Don't forget "the only reason Walter can't function in social situations is because he's so superior that he needs a hot 'high EQ and reasonable IQ' woman to 'babysit' him in communicating with the lesser lifeforms."

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Sweeping generalizations ahoy in this thread.

Is there anything else I've forgotten to say?
You two have this amazing pinpointed perception into how I think.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Robnoxious posted:

Is there anything else I've forgotten to say?
You two have this amazing pinpointed perception into how I think.

Who's talking about what you think? At this point we're just making fun of the writing of the show itself and the creepy-rear end things real!Walter has said about his totally real adventures.

EDIT: Also, to go back to actually being on topic, I just watched the latest episode and it was pretty much the worst thing I've ever seen. "LOVE ISN'T REAL, HAHA TOUCHING PEOPLE, AM I RIGHT" /awkwardly fondles her kid's skull while staring at her blankly, she is immediately won over

This is the effect real!Walter the pudgy fifty year old con man thinks he's having on women when he rambles about being too intelligent to feel love in real life.

mushroom_spore fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 20, 2015

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

mushroom_spore posted:

I just watched the latest episode and it was pretty much the worst thing I've ever seen. "LOVE ISN'T REAL, HAHA TOUCHING PEOPLE, AM I RIGHT" /awkwardly fondles her kid's skull while staring at her blankly, she is immediately won over
Ahh okay then.
We are on the same page.
Cause that part was silly and a bit creepy.

I thought you and uublog were busting my balls as if I'm some Walter sympathizer.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

Robnoxious posted:

Ahh okay then.
We are on the same page.
Cause that part was silly and a bit creepy.

I thought you and uublog were busting my balls as if I'm some Walter sympathizer.

No I agree the romance thing is awful and I enjoy mocking this show for being the con man in question's wet dream, in which he is perfect all of the time, which should make for something of a barren wasteland for interesting storylines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Robnoxious posted:

Those were general you, as in the writers/show. ex: "The idea well is already dry because there are only so many ways you can write 'Walter is the smartest and greatest person'" etc. :ms:

• Locked thread