Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 252 days!)

Do you accept MONEY ORDERS?
I would like to pay you OVER THE AMOUNT.
You may KEEP THE GREATER PORTION, I just need A FEW HUNDRED DOLLARS BACK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

So when do you expect to see winged unicorns back in stock?

The customer finally got back to me. He has three car loans in his name and is probably upside down on his current car, but he wants a new SUV and wants to lower his monthly payment, and this is what he wants in his next vehicle.

quote:

My wish list on a new SUV is as follows: I prefer the exterior black, but willing to budge, I prefer 3rd row seating, but willing to get rid of that for a cheaper price, I do want a sunroof, leather interior, heated seats, automatic start, 2 tv's in the headrest, navigation, bluetooth, and rear back up cameras. I currently pay a car note of $650 a month, and I was also looking to lower my monthly car note, because of the addition of the 3rd car I purchased.

I just shot back an email asking if there was a good time for him to come into our dealership, because that's the easiest and quickest way to sort out what he wants, what he can actually get, what we can give him for his current car, and what he will pay. Sometimes it's just pointless to try to do this poo poo over the internet.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

quote:

I currently pay a car note of $650 a month, and I was also looking to lower my monthly car note, because of the addition of the 3rd car I purchased.

What in the gently caress?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
People really don't understand money.

Just leave it at that.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

revmoo posted:

Sometimes I worry about saving for retirement. Then I read stuff like that and really worry for those people.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

revmoo posted:

He recently purchased a car for his daughter, and his wife traded in her luxury SUV for something newer, so it's the sum of three payments.

Still, people are really bad with money and a dealership is one of the best places to see that, after maybe a collections agency or a bankruptcy law firm.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

goatse guy posted:

Still, people are really bad with money and a dealership is one of the best places to see that, after maybe a collections agency or a bankruptcy law firm.

I think that a lot of people deal with all three, in that order.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

BrokenKnucklez posted:

People really don't understand money.

Just leave it at that.

It's sad.

But I've got a lower monthly payment!:haw:

For the rest of my natural life.
:smith:

Being in debt sucks, it is sad how people willfully wallow in it forever instead of trying to get out of it.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I get it, we are all most likely going to be in debt of some form of our life unless we were handed a large trust fund.

I always say its one thing to be in debt, and have a plan to either be out of debt or at least keep the debt very minimal vs just letting it go out of control.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I'm selling some nice winter wheels/tires on craigslist, asking $300 or best offer. Guy calls me up, yeah I'd love to take a look at them, oh do you accept PAYPAL? I might not be able to get to the bank in time!! Are you sure you don't accept PayPal?

Uhh no, I accept cash. You know, the kind that comes from an ATM.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I always say its one thing to be in debt, and have a plan to either be out of debt or at least keep the debt very minimal vs just letting it go out of control.
That's just it exactly. People that look for the lowest monthly payment as their metric is just so :smith:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Double-edged sword. Rational folks need irrational folks to feed the used market.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I'm selling some nice winter wheels/tires on craigslist, asking $300 or best offer. Guy calls me up, yeah I'd love to take a look at them, oh do you accept PAYPAL? I might not be able to get to the bank in time!! Are you sure you don't accept PayPal?

Gumtree which is like the Australian version of craigslist is owned by eBay and recently they've started trying to push accepting Paypal onto sellers as well. :negative:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

goatse guy posted:

Sometimes it's just pointless to try to do this poo poo over the internet.

If it's me I'm going to avoid going to the dealer at all costs, so I really can't blame the guy.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

slidebite posted:

Being in debt sucks, it is sad how people willfully wallow in it forever instead of trying to get out of it.

Hear hear!

Really though, $650 across three cars is less than what I'd think it was. That's an average of $210 per vehicle, not terrible unreasonable per car. Why you'd have three car payments though, I can only assume some people assume that that's the only way to have a car is to have a car payment.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
Some people just need to hear no in person.

I was incorrect. It was $650 for one car.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 252 days!)

goatse guy posted:

Was it... an Altima? :allears:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
nm

revmoo fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 8, 2014

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

It's me, I'm the unicorn in the OP.

Just got back from the Subaru dealership. I wanted an Impreza... with a stick. Apparently that qualifies for unicorn status! Zero in the five-state area, a handful from far away states that would cost over a grand to ship here.

It was actually pretty funny, the sales manager came over to do a national search and the first thing she said was, "so you guys are looking for a unicorn" and I thought of this thread.

I would've ordered one, I'm fine waiting, but ordering is closed for 2014s and 2015s have some mandatory, lovely infotainment screen garbage. Oh well, sorry, dealership guy, you were nice.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

goatse guy posted:

I would have thought this impossible if I hadn't had a friend in that situation. Called me up in a frenzy one day because the repo guy had come to take their car after a couple missed payments.

They were paying $650 a month. On a five year note. For a used, poverty-spec Chevy HHR. :wtc:

Aflicted
Jun 9, 2007

ColdPie posted:

Just got back from the Subaru dealership. I wanted an Impreza... with a stick. Apparently that qualifies for unicorn status! Zero in the five-state area, a handful from far away states that would cost over a grand to ship here.

It was actually pretty funny, the sales manager came over to do a national search and the first thing she said was, "so you guys are looking for a unicorn" and I thought of this thread.

I would've ordered one, I'm fine waiting, but ordering is closed for 2014s and 2015s have some mandatory, lovely infotainment screen garbage. Oh well, sorry, dealership guy, you were nice.

Is the lovely infotainment thing you speak of Google Car by chance? I know Subaru signed on early for it and it was supposed to start appearing by the end of this year. That might actually be pretty cool.

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
FIRST BLOOD

Edit, wrong thread

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Aflicted posted:

Is the lovely infotainment thing you speak of Google Car by chance? I know Subaru signed on early for it and it was supposed to start appearing by the end of this year. That might actually be pretty cool.

Don't think so. At least I didn't see any Google logos. They're using it already in some 2014 cars, which is where I played with it for a minute.

Aflicted
Jun 9, 2007
What did you think of it? I haven't seen it in person yet, but it looked promising during the keynote earlier this year. The subie dealer here has been trying to get me to trade in my wife's 2013 Outback on a 2015. I was tempted by the thought of getting the 3.6R in Green this time, but the trade in offer was borderline offensive. They offered me $19k on my 2013 WRX and the BMW dealer gave me $24k without blinking. They then sold it to a guy in Ohio for $26k sight unseen three days later so they did alright and the subie dealer was looking for a killing. I actually think they told the guy about the car before they had it since they knew I was coming in on Saturday to settle up with them on the new car.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Well, you can probably guess from how I described it, though I might be biased because I loathe the idea of having a screen in my car. The interface looked really slow, it took like 5 or 10 seconds after the car turned on to boot to the main menu. The whole radio interface has zero physical buttons. It has those crappy flat surface non-buttons that have no tactile feedback, and it has the touchscreen. So you're forced to look at the screen both to see what you're pushing and to see if your push had any effect.

You know what has none of those problems and will never crash or run into a software bug? The loving physical buttons and dead-simple LCD display in my 2004 Honda. Cheaper, too. gently caress screen interfaces in cars. I guess enough people must like the idea, but making it mandatory cost them a sale from me.

To bring it back around to this thread, I wonder if dealership sales people bitch about "features" that turn people off. I'm curious to know what the sales guy today thought after we walked out because of this when we were otherwise ready to buy.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

ColdPie posted:

To bring it back around to this thread, I wonder if dealership sales people bitch about "features" that turn people off. I'm curious to know what the sales guy today thought after we walked out because of this when we were otherwise ready to buy.

We bitch about people a lot. It's nothing personal. Unless you're a dickhead, then it is personal.

We have one of those live chat agents on our website. I believe it's contracted out to another company, who will get the relevant information from a customer and then forward the chat transcript along with a summary to us.

quote:

Concerned about reliability and repairs/maintenance

It's a $5k, fifteen year old Mercedes. Don't even say the word reliability. Shhhh, we don't say those kinds of things.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Molten Llama posted:

I would have thought this impossible if I hadn't had a friend in that situation. Called me up in a frenzy one day because the repo guy had come to take their car after a couple missed payments.

They were paying $650 a month. On a five year note. For a used, poverty-spec Chevy HHR. :wtc:

How, why, what!?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
And we wonder why we are in the financial mess we are in. :rolleyes:

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
Sooo how does anyone feel about service contracts?

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
I'm about to buy a car and I'm trying to be as prepared as possible. Can you guys give me any tips?

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

maniacripper posted:

I'm about to buy a car and I'm trying to be as prepared as possible. Can you guys give me any tips?

New or used? Tell me a little more about what you're looking to do and how soon you're looking to do it.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Well right now I'm looking for a Dodge Ram 1500 regular cab 5.7 liter, and I see prices for 3 year old around 5k less than a new one of similar spec.

Is this an instance where buying the used car still makes sense?

The 25K for a tradesman/express with the stuff I want is around 25k advertised, can I assume that's pretty mush as low as they'll go with new models right around the corner?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

ColdPie posted:

Last time I was at a Subaru dealer (which was quite a while ago admittedly) I was surprised how many models they had in stick here in Seattle. That'd be quite a drive though.

Edit: Just checked the local dealer. All 2014 Imprezas in stock are CVTs. Oh well.

edit2: Found a few! http://www.eastsidesubaru.com/new/Subaru/2014-Subaru-Impreza-seattle-9353ff730a0a00656d9f3cd932ae3b31.htm
http://www.chaplinssubaru.com/new/Subaru/2014-Subaru-Impreza-bellevue-935346780a0a00645cca456e7347010d.htm
http://www.rentonsubaru.com/new/Subaru/2014-Subaru-Impreza-renton-wa-9352496c0a0a00645cca456e4a77e0b5.htm

It's too bad the Subaru USA website doesn't let you search all the dealers at once.

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Oct 9, 2014

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

maniacripper posted:

Well right now I'm looking for a Dodge Ram 1500 regular cab 5.7 liter, and I see prices for 3 year old around 5k less than a new one of similar spec.

The 25K for a tradesman/express with the stuff I want is around 25k advertised, can I assume that's pretty mush as low as they'll go with new models right around the corner?

The A/T thread is probably the better place for these questions.

We're not desperate, so I'll just keep an eye on the used market.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Linux Nazi posted:

The actual sales guy seemed to become more of an advocate who was keen on getting us into the car under our budget, so I honestly feel like he ran interference for us when the sales manager almost cost him a deal.

This was what happened when I got my Ram. I had originally gone to get a Charger the first month they were out, had one picked out on the lot but it was late afternoon and their detail shop was closed. So salesman says "no worries, don't sign anything today, no cash, come back at this time tomorrow with the check and it will be ready". Ok, cool.

Next day I showed up it was detailed, registered and inspected. Nice! Go inside "uh, there's a problem". Sales manager sold it out from under him. Well, now I'm pissed because I just drove 45 minutes for no reason, told my sales guy he should have called and told me immediately, and then I get up to go. Sales guy knew I was looking for a RWD V8 (of which there wasn't many in 05), points out my Ram Daytona with a sticker of $37k.

Walked out with it for $23,500, as the sales guy tells me, "when the dealership takes my money, I try and take some of it back". Dude had me laughing.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

When my mom was buying her Avalon, she had one picked out with exactly the options she wanted (which was basically every option offered). She was told to come back the next day.

They brought her car out for her. Except the only thing right about it was the color of the paint. Tried to tell her that it was the same car she'd agreed to buy, and tried to pressure her into accepting it. Completely different car, missing most of the options she wanted.

They finally admitted it'd been sold out from under her. They wound up having a similar car brought in from Louisiana for her.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Molten Llama posted:

Did I do the math right? Were they paying $39k for a used hhr?

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

That usually means they have a long history of rolling negative equity from previous deals in to the new one.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah, being upside down and rolling into the next purchase kind of does that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

maniacripper posted:

This is an instance where you're going to want to check with the dealership and your bank to see which makes more financial sense in terms of payments and interest rates offered.

Hey coldpie, we've got a bunch of used manual Imprezas in our dealership inventory. Did you talk to your salesman about any of our used inventory?

• Locked thread