Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
With a constant speed feathering prop in a light twin:

If you lose oil pressure in the engine, will the prop feather regardless of where the prop lever resides?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Since most light twins have no method of driving the propeller to a lower pitch without engine oil pressure or an accumulator, the propeller should feather itself in that situation.

The only situation where I can see that not happening is if the anti-feather latches were engaged, but as long as the oil pressure was lost fast enough, the propeller would feather before those kicked in.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

PT6A posted:

Right, but is any of that PIC? I'll be honest, I haven't looked into it much here, but my understanding is that the instrument syllabus has no PIC time.

The FAA lets those of us down here log PIC time anytime we are the sole manipulator of the controls for an aircraft in which we are rated, even if not acting as actual PIC. In IMC receiving training? log PIC. No medical, no current flight review getting refresher training? log PIC.

https://www.aopa.org/training-and-safety/learn-to-fly/legacy-pages/aviation-subject-report-logging-pilot-in-command-pic-time

fordan fucked around with this message at 22:57 on May 12, 2017

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I love manipulating the controls.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Captain Apollo posted:

With a constant speed feathering prop in a light twin:

If you lose oil pressure in the engine, will the prop feather regardless of where the prop lever resides?

I don't know if it's actually an aircraft certification requirement but every light twin I know of operates this way.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

fordan posted:

The FAA lets those of us down here log PIC time anytime we are the sole manipulator of the controls for an aircraft in which we are rated, even if not acting as actual PIC. In IMC receiving training? log PIC. No medical, no current flight review getting refresher training? log PIC.

https://www.aopa.org/training-and-safety/learn-to-fly/legacy-pages/aviation-subject-report-logging-pilot-in-command-pic-time

Oh yeah, it doesn't work that way in Canada as far as I know (or I'd have a lot more PIC time).

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Just noticed a huge black plume of smoke while checking on our plane at KTEB.

People are saying a Learjet went down :smith:

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Rolo posted:

Just noticed a huge black plume of smoke while checking on our plane at KTEB.

People are saying a Learjet went down :smith:

That's what twitter is saying.

I'm in an ERJ170 descending over eastern PA landing at EWR and it's pretty loving bumpy.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Of course they're doing circling approaches in gusting crosswind conditions. We were getting thrown all over earlier but the CJ I'm in now handles it so much better than my old Learjet did, especially in the landing configuration.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Yesterday was a lovely day, I guess. An MU-2 inbound to KTIX from TJBQ went NORDO and disappeared from radar. SAR hasn't found anything yet.

:(

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Welp, the club just got a brand new Seneca II! Apparently it's super low time and was owned by a private owner, too. Looks beautiful, can't wait to finish up my commercial license and get started on being able to fly it.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Do you hear that, everybody? Do you hear that sound?

It's the sound of me turning all my money into noise, because it's flying time again!

My wife just told me that she wants me to finish my PPL before my parents come to visit in the end of JuneJuly (phew this means another month to get back to test standard and study for the written) so I can take everyone flying, even if I have to put some of it on our line of credit.

:homebrew:

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 14:38 on May 17, 2017

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~

fordan posted:

Yeah, when it comes to logging time to qualify for a rating, sole manipulator counts. But when it comes to logging time on an application to get a job, most places don't give a poo poo unless you actually signed for the jet.

Same deal with simulator time.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Back in the saddle as of last night. Aside from bringing down the nose too fast on a simulated soft field I didn't do anything to cause my instructor or I any concern. I'll be flying several times a week to get myself back up to flight test standard.

Now I'm studying for the written. I'm almost done a practice exam and I only graded the first 1/10th of it and so far so good. My school actually wants people to do the written before the flight test because they find that doing them in that order helps.

Still, ugh, tests.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

EvilJoven posted:

Back in the saddle as of last night. Aside from bringing down the nose too fast on a simulated soft field I didn't do anything to cause my instructor or I any concern. I'll be flying several times a week to get myself back up to flight test standard.

Now I'm studying for the written. I'm almost done a practice exam and I only graded the first 1/10th of it and so far so good. My school actually wants people to do the written before the flight test because they find that doing them in that order helps.

Still, ugh, tests.

Don't you need the written in order to be admitted to the flight test? Or is that just for the CPL?

I've got my flight test Sunday. I feel good about most things, but I wish I were better (or at least more consistent) at power-off 180s.

EDIT: Went out early af today and nailed a whole bunch of power-off 180s. I'm ready for tomorrow.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 17:10 on May 20, 2017

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I developed a good case of landitis with my first instructor. Could not get comfortable with it. Was trying to be too perfect. So I started working with another instructor, ex military guy. Old crusty Navy guy.

First lesson up, we head out to a small untowered airport for some touch and goes. We get abeam the numbers, he says "Cut the power, don't touch the power until we are on the ground to taxi."

Me: :stare:

Every time I reached for the power he'd loudly say scold me like you would a dog trying to get food off your plate. So, I landed - more than a bit chunky - but on the ground. He tells me "you just landed a plane in a state you've never had to deal with or trained for. You landed an airplane in just about the most difficult conditions you could have - no power, bit of a gusting crosswind. What's the problem?"

Took off, performed a dozen more power off 180s and called it a day. I solod the next week.

Don't know why, but from that point forward, I loved the power off 180 and made it my standard landing configuration for a good while.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Apart from one single occasion out of... thirty or forty, my problem has always been being too high, never too low. Which is a much better problem to have, to be sure, but it'll still be an issue if I land long on the flight test.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

loving winds... Oh well, the ground portion went well and we'll try to get off the ground for the flying portion of the flight test tomorrow afternoon.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
My first ppl flight yesterday with a friend, and someone almost hit us. I flew to our destination, bumpy but uneventful, and he flew back while I was right seat. He was looking out to the left to make sure no one was parachuting at the airport we were passing when I yell out "traffic" as a high-wing something comes rocketing up in front of us maybe 400ft away. It crosses our path, flies to our right and does a quick steep 180, almost looked to me like a wingover, and come straight towards us at our 2:00. He sees us at the last moment and pulls away high and above us while my friend dives down to get out of the way. Most uncomfortable thing to happen to me so far...

We had our destination airport frequency and the one we were just passing both up on the coms and no one was talking. drat dude, don't do acrobatic poo poo at 1200ft over populated areas...

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Well, I still need ~23 PIC before you can update the OP's list, but I passed my commercial flight test! gently caress yeah!

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

PT6A posted:

Well, I still need ~23 PIC before you can update the OP's list, but I passed my commercial flight test! gently caress yeah!

Congratulations!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Nuggan posted:

Congratulations!

Thanks!

It was... not amazing. There was part of me that was wondering throughout the flight test if I'd actually failed an item or two. But apparently I got a reasonably high pass. I ain't gonna argue with it, but I was pleasantly surprised when we landed and the examiner said I'd passed. Oh well, always new mistakes and poo poo to fix on the next flight... the day I think I've done everything perfectly and have nothing to improve on is the day I stop flying, because that's not a safe attitude.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Hi guys!

I'm back.... for now. Been kinda busy and just completely ignored SA for the last.... oh 1,500 posts or so. I asked Slaughter to take over but apparently he didn't want to. My name wasn't mentioned on any of those pages so I didn't update the OP. As for me I got hired flying an Airbus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Sept 2014 was the date the last thread opened..... Crap...

Here's the new one

• Locked thread