Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

sellouts posted:

So it's single channel but it looks like ap1 and ap2 are engaged at the same time? Whys that?

On this approach, both APs had been engaged in preparation for a dual channel approach. Initially, the AFDS annunciates (and the approach is) single channel. At 1500' RA, pitch and roll confidence monitor tests occur - basically ensuring maneuvering and fault monitoring capability. If the tests are passed, the system then annunciates CMD, indicating that the approach has now become dual channel.

Hence, at the point this shot was taken, it was still a single channel approach, but became dual channel later.

vessbot posted:

Any of y'all: Let's play a game. It requires:

- a 172
- a suitcase of 100 dollar bills.

It works like this: I use the first few bills to rent the 172, and we go flying. Then, I command you to set an airspeed of my choosing (could be anywhere from 1G stall to Vne). I give you a hundo as soon as you set it, and then give you another one for every 10 seconds you maintain it to an accuracy of a needle-width. This may last from a few seconds to a few minutes, at my whim. Then I think of a new airspeed and we rinse and repeat until the suitcase is empty.

The only catch is that I tie one of your hands behind your back. Which hand would you rather have available?

Right hand (if I'm in the left seat). Trim and power. More accurate speed control and my flight path won't be +-1000's of feet while doing so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Re: the game, in the T-6 I want my left hand because I can more easily switch between throttle and stick that way, the PCL's on the left side :v:

But yeah, given the "only touch one for the whole flight" I'd want to have control of the yoke vice power. Either way you can screw me but I think I can get to a desired airspeed way faster with pitch than I will with power.

MagnumHB
Jan 19, 2003

vessbot posted:

The requirements for logging PIC are governed by 61.51, and are different from the requirements for acting as PIC, which is governed by most of the rest of part 61.

Point him to 61.51(e):
Thanks for this. Having just signed up for my instrument ground course starting in November, I was thinking about this. I'm glad to say that my instinct was correct.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

overdesigned posted:

I should've been a little more exact in my wording: if I'm low AND slow, and my not-fully-thinking response is to (only) pitch for the airspeed I need, all of a sudden I'm low and going even lower and I'm probably gonna hit something (but hey, I'll be hitting it at approach speed!). In that situation you should maintain nose attitude and add a LOT of power in order to get your airspeed and your sink rate/altitude under control simultaneously.

I always mentally view it as an energy-management game. If I'm slow I need more kinetic energy, which I can get by trading excess potential energy (trade altitude with pitch if I'm high) or by just adding more energy to the system (by increasing power if I'm on-altitude). If I'm fast, I can either trade that excess energy for altitude if I'm low (which I shouldn't be, but maybe I'm out of trim and got low because my scan was bad) or I need to wipe some power off to dissipate energy. Similarly for high or low.

Like others have said, either way of thinking about it will work, and pitch/power/speed/sink rate are all interrelated.

I agree with the first 2 paragraphs, except you left out, in the first sentence I bolded, that you'd have to also reduce AOA. Otherwise, that added energy will translate into a less-steep descent (or, in a more extreme case, climb) at the original airspeed. For the second bolded sentence, likewise increase AOA, or the dissiapted energy will steepen the descent. Remember that AOA determines airspeed for steady flight.

I also agree that pitch/power/speed/sink rate are all related, but just leaving it as such doesn't shed any understanding on the nature of that relationship. And either way of thinking about it will work in normal situations, but any time the chips are down and someone is liable to forget something, I'm a firm believer that the Navy method will leave the pilot with a more survivable situation. If the Asiana 214 pilot had a gut-level need for more power at the first indication of a low position, rather than naively aiming the nose where he wanted to go, that accident wouldn't have happened.

vessbot fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Sep 24, 2014

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

brendanwor posted:

Right hand (if I'm in the left seat). Trim and power. More accurate speed control and my flight path won't be +-1000's of feet while doing so.

vessbot posted:

You're getting around my catchy, cute, and hilarious way of saying that you're only allowed to touch the yoke (or yoke-related item like trim) OR throttle, for the entire flight.

Also I never said anything about flight path, just airspeed. I'm isolating the factors here so we can really see what controls what.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

overdesigned posted:

Re: the game, in the T-6 I want my left hand because I can more easily switch between throttle and stick that way, the PCL's on the left side :v:

But yeah, given the "only touch one for the whole flight" I'd want to have control of the yoke vice power. Either way you can screw me but I think I can get to a desired airspeed way faster with pitch than I will with power.

No screwing involved, you'd have fairly and squarely won your money by meeting the condition.

Also I always get wigged out and confused any time someone calls the T-6 II the T-6. Takes me a second to figure out what plane they're talking about.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Question from a would-be pilot that's been bugging me. I know that there's air speed and ground speed, and ground speed is air speed plus any air mass movement; but does rotation of the planet factor in any, or are we still in the reference frame of the planet and rotating with it?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

dupersaurus posted:

Question from a would-be pilot that's been bugging me. I know that there's air speed and ground speed, and ground speed is air speed plus any air mass movement; but does rotation of the planet factor in any, or are we still in the reference frame of the planet and rotating with it?

Everything on the ground, and the atmosphere all rotate with the planet. Yes, you're moving faster as an absolute, but to any reference that matters to an air breathing airplane, planetary rotation has no effect.

Think of earth as an enormous treadmill.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
What he said; put in other words, the surface is the reference frame.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

MrYenko posted:

Yes, you're moving faster as an absolute

Wrong. There is no such thing as absolute velocity.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

dupersaurus posted:

Not in any meaningful amount, the airmass is rotating with the planet.

It be pretty wild if it were though, you could hover in a helicopter to travel west and eastbound travel for anything but the concord would be nigh impossible.

simble
May 11, 2004

MrYenko posted:

Think of earth as an enormous treadmill.

But if the Earth is a treadmill, how can any plane takeoff?!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

simble posted:

But if the Earth is a treadmill, how can any plane takeoff?!

More importantly, why am I still fat? :btroll:

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
This pretty much sums up the regional new hire bonuses as well as the Endeavor-to-Delta program:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIDaEWwjcC8

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I never saw this particular marking described in the AIM

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
You're not familiar with the Genital Pattern Indicator? It was intended as a replacement for the Segmented DickButt, but never really caught on.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

A little mid afternoon pit stop. Got to do my first missed approach in actual weather followed by a PAR to mins in a fog bank. Talk about something that will make your hands shake a little. Don't remember what the mins were on it but the hairs on the back of my neck start standing up when you hit below 200 feet on the radio altitude. Thank god for approach lighting.

Then put it in a hover right on the numbers :cool:

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

Mortabis posted:

Wrong. There is no such thing as absolute velocity.

Oops! You're right. He should have said "relative to the inertial (or, non-rotating) frame of reference fixed to the center of the Earth."

Going East, that's gonna be faster than the groundspeed, and going West, it's gonna be slower.

Interestingly, the Space Shuttle, due to having to operate both as an aircraft near the surface, where Earth-based velocity information was relevant, and in space, where Inertial ("absolute," as it were) velocity information was relevant, had 2 bearing pointers on the DG, one for each... marked E and I respectively. On ascent, they'd fly the E pointer until a high enough altitude that most of the atmosphere was gone, then it would disappear and then they'd fly the I pointer.

Kawachi
Sep 16, 2006
Huzzah new thread!

I really need to stop being a slack gently caress and start posting some photos & stories of my bush flying gig!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Kawachi posted:

Huzzah new thread!

I really need to stop being a slack gently caress and start posting some photos & stories of my bush flying gig!

Yea you do.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Successfully avoided having a deal last night.

Lost a valve on cylinder #1 after takeoff.

Didn't declare, started running rough around 400-500agl after turning crosswind, RPMs instantly dropped to 2200 or so and continued dropping, notified tower of engine problems and requested immediate landing, they told us to pick a runway and moved a Learjet on final to the far parallel.

We didn't know was going on, but got a clue it was something bad when we started smelling oil smoking off of the exhaust when we were on final, and had no idea it was as bad as it was until we got out and saw the landing gear coated with oil and a growing puddle underneath.

Most exciting 0.4 ever.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
:stare: Well that's certainly an exciting night.

simble
May 11, 2004

I'm glad that takeoffs equals landings in your logbook entry. Nicely done.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

overdesigned posted:

:stare: Well that's certainly an exciting night.

Indeed.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.
That's bad it happened; even worse that it happened at night it looks like. :gonk: Good thing you made it.

AZflyboy, any way I can get ahold of you? got some questions about the Crash 8 and QX since I'm thinking of throwing my application in there in a couple weeks.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Sure.

Shoot me an email at azfocl at gmail, and I'll be happy to help out however I can.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Trying to work through airlineapps. Question on the driving history.. they have NO cutoff. Also, one charge I had was reduced - do I put the original or the court reduced? There was another ticket that the court dismissed. I know this is a.. risky nebulous area as far as nondisclosure of anything goes being very likely to disqualify you. But a dismissed ticket means legally you did not commit the infraction... so it shouldn't go on there, right? My record has been very clean for 5+ years now, it was all youthful indiscretion. Also, I don't even know where to start with putting stuff on there. Do I go to the DMV and get a driving record? Is there a way to order a background check on myself online that would include it?

Edit: California driving history shows nothing. Thought I got a ticket there at one point. Looks like I'll have to go in person to get my Washington one. Those are the two states I've driven in, with the addition of Arizona but I never got pulled over in Arizona (I'm not latino, so the cops didn't care about me.)

Edit2: Got the Washington one. It only shows 1/20/07 "Failure to yield right of way." and nothing else. I got two speeding tickets that don't show up at all, one I did traffic school for and one that was just straight up dismissed. That was like 2006-2007ish. Not sure what to throw on airlineapps. :( I don't mind putting them on there with a status of 'dismissed' but I don't even know the dates, it was at least 7 years ago and apparently the state agencies haven't kept that record...

The Slaughter fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Sep 26, 2014

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

Kawachi posted:

Huzzah new thread!

Sweet, where you working at?

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Well, I passed my instruments stage check tonight. 10 more flights and I'm out of primary (4 visual nav, 6 formation).

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

The Slaughter posted:

Trying to work through airlineapps. Question on the driving history.. they have NO cutoff. Also, one charge I had was reduced - do I put the original or the court reduced? There was another ticket that the court dismissed. I know this is a.. risky nebulous area as far as nondisclosure of anything goes being very likely to disqualify you. But a dismissed ticket means legally you did not commit the infraction... so it shouldn't go on there, right? My record has been very clean for 5+ years now, it was all youthful indiscretion. Also, I don't even know where to start with putting stuff on there. Do I go to the DMV and get a driving record? Is there a way to order a background check on myself online that would include it?

Edit: California driving history shows nothing. Thought I got a ticket there at one point. Looks like I'll have to go in person to get my Washington one. Those are the two states I've driven in, with the addition of Arizona but I never got pulled over in Arizona (I'm not latino, so the cops didn't care about me.)

Edit2: Got the Washington one. It only shows 1/20/07 "Failure to yield right of way." and nothing else. I got two speeding tickets that don't show up at all, one I did traffic school for and one that was just straight up dismissed. That was like 2006-2007ish. Not sure what to throw on airlineapps. :( I don't mind putting them on there with a status of 'dismissed' but I don't even know the dates, it was at least 7 years ago and apparently the state agencies haven't kept that record...

Don't mention anything that doesn't show on public records. Keep a copy of the clean records. Something from 2007 will not be a factor for regionals right now. In fact, they would probably hire someone with a DWI in the past five years (then they know that person is not going to the majors!)

Kawachi
Sep 16, 2006

brendanwor posted:

Sweet, where you working at?

I managed to land myself a job with a company up here in Broome. It'a been crazy for the hiring this year. Around 50 pilots looking for work!

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

:australia:

e.pilot posted:

Successfully avoided having a deal last night.

Most exciting 0.4 ever.

awesome work !

also - hi guys; new to the thread. carry on as you were.

simble
May 11, 2004

I'm going to be that guy. Lurk more please.

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

simble posted:

I'm going to be that guy. Lurk more please.

my apologies; am i not experienced enough to congratulate a guy for successfully not dying / wrecking an aircraft?

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

Kawachi posted:

I managed to land myself a job with a company up here in Broome. It'a been crazy for the hiring this year. Around 50 pilots looking for work!

King Leopold? Broome Aviation? Congrats dude. What plane are you on?

Pics? :)

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Jon Von Anchovi posted:

my apologies; am i not experienced enough to congratulate a guy for successfully not dying / wrecking an aircraft?

Jon Von Anchovi posted:

also - hi guys; new to the thread. carry on as you were.
It was this. Don't do this.

In a conversation with people you have never met would you say, "Hi guys! I'm new around here! OK byeeeeeee!" then walk away?

concise fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Sep 26, 2014

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

Fair point. Chalk that one up as a poo poo post then. Was more me trying to say hi and not presume to introduce information about me that no one would care about like it mattered.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
shut up and talk about planes

Bob A Feet fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Sep 26, 2014

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Jon Von Anchovi posted:

Fair point. Chalk that one up as a poo poo post then. Was more me trying to say hi and not presume to introduce information about me that no one would care about like it mattered.

Don't worry about it, there are a lot of unwritten rules in this place that are learned mostly by observation.

Bob A Feet posted:

shut up and talk about planes

gently caress you, beeaatch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Flights into MDW and ORD are grounded becase somebody set the Aurora, IL Chicago Center location ablaze.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2770806/Fire-control-site-stops-OHare-Midway-flights.html

Nobody in this thread works there, do they? :ohdear:

• Locked thread