Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Time for that age old question;

Hypothetically speaking, if I could swing the PPL and most of the CPL costs is now a good time to get in to aviation as a career while I'm well in to my 30s?

I asked basically this question about 5 years ago and was told to stay far, far away from aviation but it sounds like that's changing.

What's life like starting out these days? I'm based out of YWG and looking to stay in the area.

EDIT: by stay I mean I want it to remain my home address and be able to go home some of the time but I fully expect to need to spend a bunch of time away from home for work.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Ya sounds harsh but at the same time my wife is starting to tell me that she'd rather we be broke than put up with me coming home from my admittedly decent paying easy computer janitor job because I hate it so much I can't leave those feelings in the office anymore.

Idk maybe I should at least get my PPL first. Every step builds on the last one anyway.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
gently caress it YOLO taking a Cherokee up for a spin at 7.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
OH. MY. GOD.

This isn't my first time but it's definitely the first time it felt like I was flying an airplane and not it flying me.

Also I agree with the guy I flew with. High wing is for passengers, low wing is for pilots.

Getting my medical ASAP.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Ya I remember asking you how it turned out for you and when you said what you made that hear it was surprisingly low.

Right now I'm shooting for just PPL and I'll see how things gomas they progress. Even if I end up just paying to fly for fun I know I'd regret it if I didn't.

Still gonna get the class 1 medical, just in case.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Ya I'm getting my Class 1 medical on Wednesday and you'd better believe I'm going to be eyeing those forms like a hawk.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
My understanding of the CAR is that the duration of the validity of the medical is determined by the type of license you hold, not the type of medical.

A commercial pilot must have a class 1 and it must be renewed every 12 months, or 6 if over 40.

A private or student pilot must have a a class 1 or 3 and it must be renewed every 5 years.

I'll be getting a class 1 but if all I ever get is my private license it'll be good for the full 5. If I get my commercial I at that point have to get it every year. Not 100% sure if I need to get the medical redone ASAP if I have a class 1 that's more than a year old and then get my CPL or if I just have to get it done every year from that point forward.

Also if I'm reading it right you can actually fly longer than 12 months if you're a commercial pilot on that medical but after a year you are only allowed the privileges of a private pilot.

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-96-433/FullText.html#s-404.04

As for getting the 1 over the 3, I want to know ASAP if doing this for a living isn't possible. If I end up not being allowed to fly as a private pilot because they caught something on a class 1 medical that they wouldn't have caught on a class 3, well, to be honest, it might be safer for everyone if I stay on the ground anyway.

EDIT: could you imagine the poo poo storm that would happen if a private pilot got a bunch of people killed and it came to light that he was granted a class 3 when it was known that there was something wrong enough with him to deny him a class 1?

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 06:09 on May 8, 2016

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Also, the money hemorrhaging has already started and I'm not even yet a student pilot. Despite the fact that I live in a country with socialized health care I'm about to pay a doctor over 200 bux to stick his hand up my rear end twiddle his fingers and tell me if I'm allowed to fly airplanes.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Affluenza

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Srsly though I'm a touch paranoid that I might get denied my medical because I did a bunch of hard riding on my bike over the weekend and chafed my dilz. If that happens I'm gonna be fuckin pissed.

EDIT: I need some silk undies or something.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
70k is basically best case scenario minimums.

It's why if I go commercial I'll probably ask to work reduced hours but keep my day job.

I'm not doing that pilot in waiting bullshit, period. I hear if you're willing to do a bit of legwork you can get jobs with actual flight time at 200 hours so if you accept the 'throw bags and sweep floors for 6 months and maybe you'll get to fly' garbage you're doing yourself and everyone else a huge disservice.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Buffalo didn't even start the trend. Quite a few operations dangle that carrot in front of new pilots in order to retain them as a source of cheap exploitable labour.

"Work 60 hours a week worth of split shifts loading cargo and filling fuel tanks maybe next month you can get an hour in the right seat!"

No, gently caress that.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I would kill for those prices. Up here after taxes it's basically 200 an hour for anything with wings and an instructor beside you.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
loving hell I'd hate to deal with an outfit with a full tanks policy. Hell, I don't think I could fly with another adult beside me in a 152 if the tanks were full.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Went to the doctors office for my medical and it was full of aviation memorabilia and a TV with cartoons on. Guy is definitely used to dealing with manchildrenpilots.

He also said that he sees no reason whatsoever to deny me a class 1 medical and barring anything weird happening with the feds I'll get it in the mail in 3 weeks.

Aww yiss.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 11, 2016

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Also he didn't touch my dick balls OR butthole.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

KodiakRS posted:

They changed the way student pilot certs are issued correct? I seem to recall they changed it from just walking out of the AME's office with your student pilot cert.

Remember, I'm Canadian. We sometimes do things a touch differently here.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm still not about to do anything more than maybe a few hours until the paper is in my hands. The school said that ground school started last Saturday and I said if rather take their next cycle than potentially waste 700 bucks paying in advance for ground school and books while there's still the remotest chance I could get denied.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Winnipeg, but TBH unpowered flight really doesn't interest me.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Captain Apollo posted:

Joven, you're a speed in #flightsim. You don't need ground school.

Well..... Unless Canadian aviation requirements are just 100 times worse than ours.

Canadian requirements for ground school are p heavy: LINK

Also I probably need a lot of aviation therapy to unlearn the lovely habits and incorrect information I picked up from being a flight sim autist. I'm gonna try really hard to not fall asleep through all the stuff I already know and more importantly not be a loving keener piping up all the time.

EDIT: I go flying Saturday morning.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 15:04 on May 12, 2016

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Oh ya I picked up quite a bit from flight simming and doing VATSIM so a lot of the navigation, procedures etc will be as much a refresher and filling in the little details. A lot of people say that as long as you are very well aware of the limitations of flight sims, especially the stuff you can use at home, it's useful for some things.

As for being a Keener, I'm talking about the guy in class that immediately responds to questions, throws in their opinion at the slightest chance and does his best to insert himself into the position of favorite student. It's always the guy who has a lot of experience but needs the official course/cert/whatever. No matter what you do you always get that guy. When I took my firearms safety a few weeks ago that guy was old and head to toe in camo.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
So how many of you keep a roll of premium TP in your flight bag so you don't have to suffer the indignity of lovely single ply airplane/airport bathroom TP?

Now that I've mentioned it, how many of you are thinking I'm a god damned genius?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
So now that I've paid for ground school and went up for my first actually being instructed not just out for a joyride flight you may as well put me in the big list of people that made poor life decisionspilots.

My first lesson was a lot of keeping the plane pointed straight and flying level. Also got to do the takeoff that I cocked up because a gust of wind combined with a crosswind and asymmetric thrust shoved me left like I'd hit a tree. After shaking that off it was perfect.

My instructor said not to worry too much, they don't even normally let newbies do the takeoff.

Also on the way back I heard a feint radio call that sounded a bit weird but I couldn't make it out. Then tower and my instructor had a back and forth because they were sure they heard him say mayday.

Stay safe up there.

EDIT: Someone remind me to ask where the drat volume knob is when I go back up tonight.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 12:56 on May 19, 2016

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
That wasn't my first takeoff, it was just my first one in a crosswind. My first takeoff was years ago in my first discovery flight and it was a cinch. Then the rest of the flight was absolute poo poo because I pulled the stupid flight simmer trick of gluing my eyes to the instruments instead looking outside the loving plane.

That was years ago. When I started at this school a few weeks ago the chief instructor said that knowing I'm a flight sim guy means they know they need to cover the gauges. I told them not to bother because I'd already learned that lesson.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hasn't been a problem for years, I broke myself of that habit even in flight sims after that disaster of a discovery flight. Helps that I have TrackIR and updated scenery so I can actually fly by attitude and navigate by landmark.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
My instructor said that he can't even see a hint if me gluing my eyes to the gauges, unlike most guys that do flight sim stuff. Guess I'm doing something right.

I'm also good at making plane go up and down and left and right. Saturday I try both at the same time:ohdear:

What in still not good at is taking off. It's just different than flight sims. This time I have an excuse though. Some rear end in a top hat ran the Cherokee for two hours straight on the right tank. I had 20 left one right on takeoff. My instructor said itd be fine but combine that with all the other forces that make things yaw and roll left at full power nose up and as soon as the wheels came off it felt like someone was hanging off the left wing.

He caught it fine but I'm still not used to flying a plane that weighs the same on both sides.

I've actually put the flight sim hardware away for now. Once I'm competent in the pattern including takeoff and landing I'll dust it off.

EDIT: Also, since deciding to get my PPL I've been joking with my boss and my project coordinator about renting a plane to go fly out to some of our locations. They'd of course laugh/roll their eyes and say it'd never happen.

I had to talk with my VP about something so I mentioned it figuring he'd laugh but he said it'd be a great idea, sometimes we're stuck on a 12 hour round trip to do a 2 hour job on site. All our sites have vehicles so if it'd be cheaper to rent a plane get picked up at the strip go out there do the job and be home that evening rather than putting staff up in a hotel overnight.

Unfortunately I'm actually going on such a job next week. 8 hours round trip and a night in a hotel for probably 3 hours of work. Anyone here a CFI close to Winnipeg and want to go for a joyride Wednesday?

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 05:03 on May 20, 2016

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
First flight where every stage was not lovely! I'm actually slowly creeping towards being adequate!

Also Jesus Christ thermals. I bet I could have stayed above those fields with the power pulled forever.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
My only one so far was coming in to Regina in a Dash 8. Fog rolled in (why the gently caress is Regina always foggy) and the FO got on the horn to say that we only had enough fuel to try two approaches and then we had to divert... back to loving Winnipeg where this trip started.

First time around I was looking straight down and couldn't see the ground until he pinned it.

Second time around the ground didn't come into view until maybe 50' after the fence.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hey quick question for you guys.

Why do US schools and Canadian schools teach density altitude with two different formulas?

US: Pressure Alt + 120*(OAT - ISA)

Canadian: Pressure Alt + 100*(OAT - ISA)

Where ISA = 15c - 2deg per 1000'

At first I thought my ground school instructor was teaching it wrong but I looked and every Canadian school I can find with resources online teaches it that way.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Well ya but none of this will help me when I'm taking my written and am told to whip out a pad and a pen and calculate the density altitude by hand after being given the current air pressure, field elevation and OAT.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
"Hey guys! Some rear end in a top hat said he was planning on parking a Camry in our parking garage for a bit and asked if we could reserve him a spot and then showed up in a loving RV so we told him to park on the street and now CNN wants to make hay over it."

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Fly it like a wet rental timed based off a hobbs meter.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Jesus Christ what the gently caress was that controller doing.

EDIT: after watching it when I could pay more attention to it the only thing that really raised my eyebrow was when he told her to turn left heading 30 degrees. Was he telling her to turn to a heading of 030 or just turn 30 to the right so she'd be on a proper downwind for 35?

She was in over her head. It's a shame neither one of them suggested flying to an alternate once that became apparent.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jun 16, 2016

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
My flight instructor said a very scary 4 letter word to me after today's lesson.

"Solo"

Apparently I'm ahead of the curve and once we cover go arounds and in circuit engine failures in our next lesson or two I should get my PSTAR out of the way (groundshool is almost over as well) and bring in a copy of my medical.

Guess it's time to bring an extra shirt with me when I go flying.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
If she was close to running out of fuel after circling while waiting for a better opportunity she could declare and then everyone would be told to go sit and spin so she could land.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Did my first solo today.

Fuckin eh.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'll post a trip report when I have time tonight but basically it boils down to I know I have work to do to get consistently good so it's not like I'm overconfident about my skills.

but.

I did solo at only 12 hours and my instructor said that it's extremely rare to have a student to solo at 12 hours and he wouldn't have let me done it if he had any doubts about my ability :smuggo:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
OK so trip report.

I woke up this morning expecting to do a bit more pattern work and then ground school for the day. I knew my solo would be any day now and suspected today, we'd just finished everything necessary leading up to this. The PSTAR was a cakewalk thanks to a study app I'd bought and the radio exam, which wasn't covered at all by the practice tests, was still fairly easy thanks to some prior experience doing land and marine radio stuff.

Got up there with my instructor to do some practice stuff, get brushed up on slow flight stalls and whatnot. It was bumpy as poo poo, the clouds had just broken and all the field had big rear end puddles so the sun was heating things so unevenly it was like flying on speedbumps.

Get back to CYAV airspace, did a touch and go and heard on the radio that a guy who'd rented a 152 from us was stuck on 13 holding short of 22 (active at the time) with a dead engine. Apparently that thing is a pain in the rear end to restart if it quits on you when its hot. So I told my instructor that seeing as I didn't feel like being a tremendous rear end in a top hat today I was OK if he wanted us to full stop so we could go rescue his sorry rear end.

I almost got to check off another thing on the bucket list; tow a Cessna behind my pickup, because my instructors was missing. We were just mounting the hitch on it when we realized it was on the corner of the apron helping some guys get their plane going so I went and grabbed a bite while he got the thing going again. Came back and my instructor looked at me and said 'We've got time wanna go back up?' I should have said no, class was 40 mins away and after two touch and gos it was time to put down anyway. Landed, pulled back on to the apron and he says alright I've got the controls, spins us around and says 'alright you're going to solo, go do one circuit and come back here.'

Everyone else in my ground school class is standing there watching so the entire time I'm on the ground I'm wondering how poo poo my first landing is going to be in front of all these people. Also it's loving hot in a Cherokee when you don't have someone in the right seat holding the door open during taxi.

The circuit was actually not terrible; not too high but base and final was a typical goon hosed up trapezoid pattern because that thing just didn't want to sink like normal and after taxi back to the apron I discovered that in Canada they don't gently caress up your shirt, in fact, they give you another one.

Turns out the entire class was standing around because our ground school instructor forgot to text all of us to say it's cancelled, so they basically got to drive out to watch me fly airplanes.

Seeing as class was cancelled I jumped back in and put another 1.1 on the Hobbs doing touch and gos that ranged from somewhat horrible to pretty OK. In my defense it was my first hour solo and it was bumpy and gusty as gently caress.

In the end, I solo'd with 11.8 hours in the logbook, if you don't count the two 40 min discovery flights I took several years ago and one hour of cross country I did last year for kicks.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jun 26, 2016

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

KodiakRS posted:

Congrats but I don't think hosed up patterns are a goon thing. They're more of an every student pilot ever thing.

Goon pattern is from back when some of the people here were doing flight sim stuff together and when FK would be acting as tower for us he'd always be commenting on just how exceptionally terrible our circuits were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Ya for like 3 grand so far. :homebrew:

• Locked thread