Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I had an interesting last two legs of a trip today.

The first leg almost got delayed because a woman showed up just before check in closed, with several massive suitcases (which she was furious about having to pay to check) and a half-paralyzed dog in a canine wheelchair, which was supposed to be in a crate that wasn't even assembled. We managed to get that flight out on time, only to have some idiot boarding the second flight we were working (the last leg of a three day trip), make a joke about a bomb to the gate agent, get arrested, make more threats, which caused a pretty nice delay while security stuff happened.

Apparently the guy said he was either in or going to be in the USMC, which I'm guessing doesn't look kindly on being arrested for making bomb threats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Rickety Cricket posted:

Question for those more knowledgeable than myself:

You can absolutely log PIC for instrument training, including time spent in IMC and/or on IFR flight plans.

Your instructor seems to be missing one of the definitions of PIC. In part 1, the FAA defines PIC as whoever "Has the final authority and responsibility for the operation and safety of the flight", by which definition the CFI would be PIC. However, in FAR 61.51 (Pilot Logbooks), the FAA says that a private, commercial, or airline transport pilot may log PIC during flights "When the pilot is the sole manipulator of the controls of an aircraft for which the pilot is rated". By "rated", the FAA only refers to the category, class and type (if applicable) of aircraft, and not an instrument rating, which means instrument students can log PIC during instrument training.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Sep 24, 2014

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
You're not familiar with the Genital Pattern Indicator? It was intended as a replacement for the Segmented DickButt, but never really caught on.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Sure.

Shoot me an email at azfocl at gmail, and I'll be happy to help out however I can.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Got an offer for a job interview with the FAA today, which was completely unexpected.

I'd completed the application about a year ago, and had basically forgotten about it until they called me (probably the only time an unsolicited phone call from the FAA is a good thing), so now I get to try and figure out if accepting the job would make sense if the interview goes well. On the plus side, the pay is very good, the benefits are excellent, and the job stability is far beyond anything I'd likely find flying for a living. The big downside is that the job wouldn't involve much flying (I've heard 50 hours/yr is pretty common, so it would be the end of my professional flying career), and the idea of being in an office every workday for the next 35 years sounds kind of depressing.

Oddly, this is the third job offer or interview offer I've received since I started flying for a regional, and in each case, the jobs were things I'd applied to last year, and had completely forgotten about when I started my current job.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

The Ferret King posted:

Ok, I'll bite. What's the job, azflyboy?

General aviation safety inspector.

Desi posted:

I work in a government department as my day job, while instructing in the evenings/weekends and I have to say: be careful.

The "golden handcuffs" are exactly why the decision to take the job (assuming the interview goes well enough for a job offer) would be so difficult. If I just look at pay, quality of life, and job security, there's absolutely no contest between a government job and airline flying, but the "soul sucking" nature of government work you mentioned and the fact that getting paid (not very well) to fly for a living beats sitting in an office for the next couple of decades makes it a harder decision.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Oct 9, 2014

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Congrats!

It's kind of funny how bitter a lot of the captains at my base are towards Skywest. For various reasons, the base I'm in is really senior for captains, which means a lot of them used to fly the CRJ-700, until Alaska decided to sell those airplanes to Skywest in 2011.

This means that at least once per trip (generally once a day), several of the captains feel the need to rant how "Scabwest took our jets!", which can get kind of old when you're flying with one of those guys for an entire bid.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
One of the nice things with QX is that they ordered the Q400 fleet with pretty much every avionics option possible. The entire fleet has dual FMS's (with VNAV and RNP capability) and a HUD for the captain that lets us do CAT III approaches. Unfortunately, that didn't extend to the air conditioning system (for an airplane built in Canada, the heating is terrible), so we spend winters freezing our asses off while using all those nifty gadgets.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

CharlesM posted:

An airplane built in Canada, an also one that serves many locations in Alaska. Well, I don't know about your particular one, but in general. Alaska's website doesn't distinguish between them and Horizon anymore so you can't tell which one is which. I was kind of curious what kind of planes they use to fly for each.

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/route-map.aspx

According to Wikipedia, the Adak to Anchorage route is served by a 737-400C.

Horizon does almost all of their flying within Washingon, Oregon, Idaho and Montana (with some flying to California and Loreto, Mexico), but not much flying in Alaska. Horizon opened a base in Anchorage earlier this year, which spent the entire summer doing nothing but round trips between Anchorage and Juneau, but they add some flying to Kodiak in the winter, and just announced service to Deadhorse.

Oddly enough, we seem to have a decent number of people here that like doing nothing but Anchorage-Fairbanks turns every day, since that base is full and is impossible for a new-hire to get right out of training.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I switched to Logbook Pro (from paper logbooks) when I got an airline job, and I've been pretty happy with it so far. I just bought the standard edition, and it does pretty much everything I need it to, but the layout did take some getting used to. They do charge an annual fee for the mobile version of the app (the desktop license is good until they release 2.X, which doesn't seem to be happening anytime soon), but since it takes me just a couple of minutes to manually enter all of the data after a 4 day trip, I'm perfectly happy with just the desktop version.

Logbook Pro does have the ability to import from airline schedules as well, (for $40/yr) but since the records I get from my airline need a lot of correcting (night landings/flight time and instrument approaches/time have to be filled in manually), I've never bothered to pay the extra money.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Oct 17, 2014

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
From what I've heard, no one has taken the new ATP written yet, since the courses to prep for the written haven't been set up. I think ERAU and one other place (can't remeber where) have been approved to run the courses, but aren't doing so yet.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Rickety Cricket posted:

So what's the new ATP then? Can you do it at a CATS center or do you have to pay lots of money to ATP/Riddle?

The new ATP is a complete overhaul of the written and the requirements to take it, but my understanding is that the checkride itself remains unchanged.

The current Practical Test Standards for the ATP were last revised in August, and those revisions were simply to add a reference to the new ATP written, but none of the standards for the oral or flight portion have been substantially changed since 2008.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

vessbot posted:

I took the "new" ATP written (I think? The Gleim book preface talked about how the question bank is no longer published and their practice questions were only representative) just before the deadline, but it had questions and figures referring to the "new airspace reclassification to match ICAO" :lol: so that doesn't make sense.

So now is there gonna be a new new one along with the rule change going into effect?

I'm assuming that the FAA made some changes to the written exam to bring it more in line with what's taught in the mandatory classes, especially since they made the test longer (125 questions) and dropped the different 121 and 135 versions of the exam.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I really hope this was just a case of a blown tire causing a loss of directional control/gear collapse, instead of another round of gear issues with the Q400.

Since the Q400 is difficult to get consistently gentle touchdowns out of (the length of the aircraft limits pitch in the flare to 5 degrees or less, and the gear is pretty stiff), I can certainly see a scenario where the touchdown would impart enough force on the remaining tire of the affected gear to cause it to blow out (especially if the aircraft was heavy), so I'll be interested to see what the final report says.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Nov 7, 2014

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
If they let the AAG contract go, would they be able to get flying from anyone else without taking concessions?

From what I could find, their payscales are substantially higher than PSA, TSA, or Endeavor, so given that Delta, United, and AAG all have contracts with (or outright own) regionals with substantially lower labor costs and more efficient aircraft, giving a contract to Air Wisconsin wouldn't be terribly attractive to the bean counters at the majors.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

KodiakRS posted:

Things that happened on last nights flight:

-Aircraft down for MX
-Aircraft listed at wrong gate
-Aircraft required security inspection prior to boarding that no one had bothered to sign off
-Aircraft had to be de-fueled by 7,000 LBS
-1+ hour wait for de-ice
-Manual Weight and balance requiring a load manifest that ramp had forgotten to do
-Multiple 30 minute waits for ramp personnel at various points during boarding/deiceing/push
-When we finally got ready to push, our path was blocked by an aircraft parking at the next gate that couldn't park because they were waiting on our push crew.
-We were being junior manned into an extra overnight (where it's 5 degrees F)
-Pax boarded airplane 2.5 hours prior to push on a flight scheduled for 45 minutes were understandably upset.

And the icing on the cake:

-FAA inspector in the jump seat watching the whole thing. (Our careers are still intact)

"I have never seen an operation fall apart this completely" -FAA inspector.

I'm pretty sure a fatigue call would be perfectly justified after putting up with that level of BS.

Why did you have to do a manual weight and balance? We use an in-house iPad app for our weight and balance, and despite the fact that IOS 8 kinda broke the software, I don't think anyone here has done a manual weight and balance in several years outside of ground school.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I can understand why the Peidmont vote went the way it did, since a sizable chunk of their fleet was going to time out in the near future (they'd already started parking airplanes), so the vote was basically a self-preservation move.

The PSA vote still makes no sense to me, since they were just another RJ operator at that point and were facing exactly the same issues as ExJet, Eagle, and Republic. At the time PSA voted, Eagle, Exjet and Republic had all rejected concessionary contracts, so it was pretty clear that regional pilots were finally gaining some leverage in negotiations, until PSA sold everyone else out.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Nov 21, 2014

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I just finished a strangely hilarious two day trip.

On the first leg of the first day, the latch for seatbelt on the cockpit jumpseat decided to disassemble itself shortly after takeoff (with a deadheading pilot in the jumpseat), which lead to all three of us trying to figure out how to get the thing back together before we ran into turbulence on the descent (which required about 30 minutes to figure out). When we landed, one of the flight attendants came up and asked us to call paramedics, because a passenger was completely unresponsive and passed out in their seat. The passenger started to come around right as the EMS showed up, and as far as they could tell, the guy was either high as balls, (although he seemed fine when he boarded) or had managed to mix medication and alcohol that really don't play well together.

The next two legs were uneventful (even with a ton of people in wheelchairs and unaccompanied minors), and the last leg was going to be pretty straightforward, until we noticed that the aircraft had been given way more fuel than that leg normally takes (we usually tanker enough to complete that leg plus the return trip the next day), which was quickly explained by the weather packet showing that the destination weather was right at minimums, and was forecast to go below minimums some time after we arrived.

Flying the approach, we got the approach lights and runway environment in sight at basically the last possible second to legally land, and as we were taxiing to the gate, the visibility dropped from what had been a half mile to something like 500ft, and we found out that two later flights ended up holding quite a bit to wait for the visibility to lift enough to shoot the approach.

The second day was pretty easy on paper, since it was three pretty short legs and then we got to go home. The first leg was pretty uneventful (aside from some low level windshear), except the airplane decided it didn't want to accept external power after we parked, but since we were changing airplanes anyway and the broken one was scheduled to sit for several hours anyway, that wasn't a big deal.

To finish off the trip, the final two legs involved a gusting 25kt crosswind with windshear (I somehow made the best landing of my career with those conditions), another airplane deciding it wanted to break, and a passenger spitting chewing tobacco on the cabin wall on two consecutive flights, then claiming to be related to the CEO of Alaska Airlines when confronted about it.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Nov 28, 2014

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

eternalname posted:

What are the best things to study in school to find a good career in aviation? I notice there are aviation science, aviation management, aerospace science, and air traffic control degrees offered at various schools.

I would like to learn to fly but I find all aspects of the industry very interesting and am open minded.

As far as I know, ATC degrees are essentially useless at this point, due to a FAA policy change.

It used to be that going through a CTI program got you preferential hiring for an ATC position, but the FAA changed their hiring policies earlier this year so that CTI graduates would be considered the same as anyone else applying for an ATC vacancy. Last I heard, there was a law firm planning to file a class-action lawsuit against the FAA to undo that change, but I don't think anything has happened with it so far.

If you want to become a professional pilot, the aeronautics or aviation science degrees are a pretty expensive way to go, since you'll be paying for a college degree (which can be north of $40k/yr for somewhere like Embry-Riddle), plus another $65k or so for the flying. Most flying jobs that require a college degree really don't care what the degree is in, so getting a degree in something like business or accounting that has use in the non-flying world and getting the ratings elsewhere would probably be a good idea.

As for aviation management degrees, I don't know much about them, so I can't help there.

I actually got a BS in aeronautics from the University of North Dakota, but was able to come out of the program basically debt free. Since the aviation industry is incredibly fickle, putting yourself into six-figure debt to eventually get a job at a regional making maybe $30k/yr (plus the fact that you can easily end up on the street the next time the economy hiccups, or another regional underbids your employer) strikes me as an incredibly bad decision.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I had a jumpseater on one of my recent flights who got a masters from Riddle. I've heard good things about their engineering programs, but I can't imagine why anyone would fork over the extra $40k for a masters from there.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Successfully passed my first official line check today!

Now I just have to avoid doing anything colossally stupid for the next couple of weeks, and I'll be off probation and get a 33% raise early next month.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

AirAsia A320 missing in Indonesia.

This hasn't been a good year for airlines based in Malaysia, but apparently the accident airplane was operated by their Indonesian affiliate carrier.

From what I've seen reported, there were some pretty massive thunderstorms along the route the flight was supposed to take, so I'm wondering if the crew didn't somehow divert themselves into the middle of a bad cell.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Dec 28, 2014

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

KodiakRS posted:

Doing CBT for recurrent ground school on an overnight. Nothing rings in the new year quite like hour after hour of microsoft sam narrating power point presentations. :negative:

Also, my schedule has 2 flights tomorrow both less than 1 hour separated by a 7 hour sit. Yaaaaaay scheduling efficiency.

I have a stupidly long overnight tomorrow, so I'll probably spend a chunk of that doing some of the new CBT we just got assigned a few days ago.

You have my sympathies for the screwed up schedule. I've ended up doing quite a few trips with annoying sits (always before the last leg to go to a hotel/home), but I don't think we have anything close to seven hours unless broken airplanes get involved.

I ended up working a six leg, 11 hour day on Christmas, which wasn't a ton of fun (there was nothing but Christmas music on the AM band), but I ended up getting a pretty nice photo opportunity in Portland as the sun was setting...

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

AWSEFT posted:

I guess it is time to announce that I'm leaving the airlines. I found a corporate job in Florida flying a PC12.

Glad to see that you managed to jump ship to something better, but aren't you going to miss the random sermons about how difficult it is to raise godly children in a mansion on a seven figure income?

I know a few people that flew for various airlines run by Reverend Bedford, and I don't think I've heard any of them say nice things about how he runs airlines.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Butt Reactor posted:

*raises hand*

For you other regional guys, how hard is asking for vacation time/ time off? Please don't laugh, I have a wedding coming up at the end of June I'm supposed to be part of. And knowing this industry, I could easily see myself being denied the time off :(

It'll depend on how your airline has their vacation system set up, but since summer is typically the busy season for airlines and summer vacation slots/bids tend to go pretty senior because of that, I wouldn't get your hopes up of getting vacation awarded during the summer that soon after you started working there.

Depending on how their bidding system works and where your seniority is at that point, you might be able to get those days scheduled off.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Jan 15, 2015

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

KodiakRS posted:

To emphasize what ausgezeichnet said:

-Start memorizing limitations and memory items early. If you do a few minutes per day, every day, for the duration of your ground school it'll lessen the load a lot.
-Be specific with your numbers, callouts, and ver bage. Example: Do you need anti-ice when it's 10 degrees TAT or do you need it when it's BELOW 10 degrees TAT?
-Know your flows BEFORE you get into the sim
-"chair fly" everything you are going to do that day once you get to the sim. ESPECIALLY things like go arounds and v1 cuts.

This.

In addition to what's been said already, I'd add that flows are best learned (initially) by rote memorization, without trying to understand exactly why you're doing something until that system comes up in ground school or you have some other compelling reason to know that information.

When I got my Q400 type rating, I initially learned the flows by rote-memorizing each step and where my hands were going for each flow, without worrying about why I was pressing any given button on a flow. The person who struggled in my class spent way too much time initially trying to figure out why certain things were done on the flows, instead of just getting the proper steps committed to memory first and letting the details get filled in as ground school progressed.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

quote:

What's a good recommend on shoes?
Zappos.com has a listing of "airport friendly" shoes that won't set off metal detectors, which makes it slightly easier to deal with the TSA at airports that lack Known Crewmember. I wear a set of Ariat Heritage boots for work, since they seem to hold up better than dress shoes, don't contain any metal, and help offset the laughable cockpit heating in the Q400.

quote:

I've heard commuting with certain...carriers...can be kinda painful since SKW is nonunion and everyone else is
Internet tough guys aside, denying jumpseats because of petty BS is pretty rare, but I'm sure it happens on occasion.

I work with a pilot group who generally hold a grudge against Skywest (a lot of people are still bitter that SKW "stole our jets" in 2011, and the recently announced routes/new jets for Alaska just added to that), but I've never seen a SKW pilot get denied a jumpseat, even by a captain who has several "FU Skabwest" stickers on their flight case.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

ausgezeichnet posted:

Just make sure everybody you let access your pass benefits knows drat well what the rules and etiquette are. They can only screw it up for you.

This is really good advice.

On my last trip, we had a woman who was acting pretty intoxicated, to the point where the flight attendants and gate agents were seriously considering denying her boarding.

After it was decided she could fly, she then volunteered to the flight attendants that she was travelling on a guest pass, and helpfully told them who she'd gotten the guest pass from, so I'm pretty sure that person got to have a fun conversation with our HR department about guest conduct.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Jealous Cow posted:

Pretty sure takeoff thrust is takeoff thrust. You wouldn't want an engine to fail between V1 and Vr and not have the other at max power.

Most airliners use a reduced power setting for takeoff most of the time, since it saves a significant amount of wear on the engines, in addition to burning less fuel and being quieter than simply using full power.

In the event of an engine failure on modern airliners, the good engine will automatically go to a higher power setting to offset the loss of thrust, and some airplanes are even set up to automatically add rudder towards the good engine to make the event less exciting for the pilots.

The Q400's I fly actually have a button that allows a reduced power setting on takeoff, but since the engines are already massively derated for that airframe, the reduced power setting doesn't save any money on fuel or maintenance, so we never use it.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

The wonder twins of Sully and Schumer joined the families of Colgan 3407 to try and keep the 1,500 hour rule untouched today.

Has there been enough push back from the industry to get to where this is necessary, or is this political marketing?

For the time being, it looks like the regional carriers are smart enough not to publicly call for a repeal of the ATP rule, but I'd be surprised if they aren't trying to do an end-run around it somehow.

Since Congress only specified that airline FO's must have an ATP (but didn't specify what the requirements are to get said ATP), I wouldn't be surprised to see lobbying efforts to expand the restricted ATP program (by allowing smaller part 141 schools to participate), and if this "pilot shortage" continues, regionals may look at setting up ab initio programs (similar to what Asian carriers use), since that would give them a steady supply of pilots who would be chained to the airline for a few years by massive training contracts.

The fact that regionals could also use ab initio programs as an excuse to keep pay low ("We just spent $150k training you, why should we have to pay a living wage?") would also make them attractive, but the cost of setting up the programs may be a hard sell for shareholders and management who care about nothing longer term than "did we make a profit this quarter?".

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Desi posted:

So with the American regional industry getting hard up for ATPs, anybody think they'd do the leg work to take on a Canadian with an ATPL? I'm still a while away from that (chasing the 500-hr mark as an instructor) and the opportunities up here are either limited or in some god forsaken place north of 60. Its a joke for a Canadian to get a full on standalone FAA equivalent license, but the hurdle has always been the Right to Work in the US requirement - an airline would basically have to be willing to put in a bit of legwork for a work visa, which wouldn't be too hard to prove a need for by the looks of it.

Like the thread title says, the pilot shortage in the US is more a case of people not wanting to work for regional poverty wages than an actual shortage of pilots, at least for now.

Since getting a work visa would cost an airline time and money on top of the same pay/benefits they'd have to provide a US citizen, I really can't see any regionals here willing to put in the extra effort and money unless things get significantly more desperate for finding pilots.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
In my case, I started ground school in early January, and finished the sims late February or early March.

Depending on which airline you go to, training may take significantly longer due to training backlogs, since I've heard of new hires at Skywest sitting for 4-6 weeks between ground school and starting sims due to a lack of simulator availability.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Locally themed fix names (or STAR procedures/waypoints) are pretty common, but I maintain that the best one is the GPS RWY 16 into PSM, which involves crossing (in order) ITAWT, ITAWA, PUDYE, TATT, with the missed approach fix being IDEED.

Seattle has arrivals that reference both of their football teams (there's both a HAWKZ and SONDR, along with FOOTT, GOALZ, and NETTZ on the HAWKZ arrival), as well as a MARNR arrival with various Mariners references, and Portland has arrivals containing VOODU, DOUGHH, and NUTT (passed in that order), LIQWD, SSUN, SHYNE, as well as an arrival that has several references to microbreweries. One of the ILS approaches into PDX also crosses a fix called BUXOM, which happens to be located quite close to a nude beach on the Columbia river.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Duke Chin posted:

Disappointed there's no HIPSTR, FIXIE and BYCCL for PDX

Or perhaps HNDLBR - MUSTCH

:rimshot:

There actually is a HIPSTR on one of the ILS's at PDX, but I'm kind of disappointed that a single fix name appears to be all the attention given to what's probably Portland's biggest export behind smug beer.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

The Slaughter posted:

Compass interview is in just over a week. making GBS threads myself. Why did I set up my #1 choice as my first interview? I should have gone and interviewed with PSA or republic or something first as practice :/

Most regionals are hemorrhaging pilots fast enough that as long as you come across as reasonably competent during the interview, you've got a really good shot at getting hired.

Case in point, my employer recently had to change their policies as to when to terminate new-hires, since we had a couple of people go past 100 hours of IOE (the average is 30-40), one of whom managed to activate the stick shaker twice on the same leg shortly after being released to fly the line.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

A great landing is one in which you can use the plane again.

Which brings up the question of where that DL M88 fits on that scale, because I'd imagine that thing's repairable if the Mad Dog which blew the engine and fired shrapnel into the cabin at PNS in the 1990s is still flying.

What would N909DL need? A new nosecone, nose gear assembly & a wingtip, along with whatever minor, hard to see on TV damage happened?

The accident aircraft was built in 1987, and since the photos of the damage look like there may be damage to the main wing spar (in addition to the fuselage possibly being bent from sitting on the seawall, and having to completely replace the left wing), there's a very good chance Delta will just scrap the airframe. American and Allegiant are the only other airlines still running the MD-80 series in the US, and seeing as American is slated to retire their MD-80's by 2018 due to age and fuel costs (Allegiant only uses the MD-80 because they're stupidly cheap used), I can't imagine Delta would spend the money to repair an airplane that's almost 30 years old and isn't terribly fuel efficient.

That said, pretty much any airplane can be repaired if you throw enough money at it. Qantas had an A380 experience an uncontained engine failure in 2010 that did a substantial amount of damage to the airframe, but the aircraft was repaired anyway (which took almost two years), possibly because Qantas wanted to maintain their reputation for having never had a hull-loss for a jet powered aircraft (and I'm guessing the fact that Rolls-Royce probably paid a chunk of the bill helped too).

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Mar 8, 2015

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

You're not kidding. I've heard a used MD-80 can go for as little as $2M, bordering on "Buy two, get one free!"-level. No wonder Allegiant has added piles of them, even though they've gone the Airbus route more recently.

From a business standpoint, it makes sense for Allegiant to buy airplanes no one else wants, since you can buy a lot of jet fuel for the $40-something million price difference between a used MD-80 and a new 737.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Mar 9, 2015

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

MJP posted:

Do I really need a paper copy of FAR/AIM, a brand-spanking-new E6B (they're cheap on Ebay), and the single most up-to-date textbook? I don't know if the text is basically a la college wherein a minor grammatical change merits a new edition, which you're required to buy because gently caress you that's why, or if they only issue new editions when there's real changes to the curriculum.

Sidenote, if anyone wants to sell me their PPL textbook and other related stuff, I'm all ears. I just got word that the company bonus is going to happen and even if it's at the minimum, I finally have enough to start my flying lessons.

The Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge and Airplane Flying Handbook (which cover most of what you'll need to know as a private pilot, aside from some regulations) are perfectly acceptable as PDF's, and if you can find a well organized electronic FAR/AIM, that should work just fine, as long as it's up to date.

I'd advise against getting the Jeppesen private pilot textbook (or really any of their other textbooks), since they're expensive and contain basically the same information as the FAA publications, but with more fluff and pretty pictures added.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

Is American still doing their maintenance? I seem to remember an Allegiant Mad Dog visible in the CNBC special on American where they went behind the scenes with the airline a few years ago.

I'd guess Allegiant has their line maintenance either in house or done by contractors, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if their MD-80's got sent to American for heavy checks.

CBJSprague24 posted:

At my pilot mill, we had to carry the Jeppesen Private book with us when we flew for some god drat reason. That brick in a flight bag which also carried the company ops (I never did need to know in-flight that my wings need to be 3/4 of an inch above the fold on the shirt pocket) and procedures manuals in addition to relevant things like headsets, kneeboards, checklists, and a FAR/AIM. If I have shoulder problems someday, I'm blaming them and my high school.

That's absolutely absurd, but pilot mills (and universities with flight programs) seem to have an obsession with making things "just like an airline".

When I worked for UND, students had to carry the course outline, the safety policies and procedures, as well as the standardization manual for the airplane with them (which was something like 30lbs), and I'm pretty sure their policies and procedures and standardization manuals (for a 2400lb piston single) were almost the same length as the ones I carry (as a PDF on an iPad) flying for an airline now.

I always felt bad for the guys instructing for the Chinese pilot mills in the Phoenix area, since they had to wear what looked like some stupidly warm uniforms in a climate that's absolutely miserable in the summer, without the benefit of usable air conditioning at low altitudes.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

AWSEFT posted:

Checklist responses along with the flow. Are you and your sim partner working together on the paper tiger?

So not just where they are but what to say (and what you're looking for). Just keep doing it over and over, then again. Tired? Again. Laying in bed, do it again. Wake up, again. Brushing your teeth? again.

I'll second (or third) what these folks said.

I spent a ton of my free time during indoc and systems going through flows on the paper tiger, and learning the cues I'd see from the captain (since almost all of our FO flows begin or continue once the captain does something like release the parking brake or sets the control lock) also helped me get a sense of when to run a given flow.

Another thing that helped me was to come up with mnemonics or some other way to simplify what I was doing on some flows. As an example, climbing through 10,000ft, the PM's flow is "Cabin Chime: press, Pressurization: check, Exterior Lights: set, Windshield heat: Norm", which I remember as "Ladies, Leaks, Lights, Heat".

• Locked thread