Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Aww yeah new thread. Can I get MEI added to my name in the list?

Also I'm gonna be based at KTUS in about 2 weeks woop! Hear it's nice and warm there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

e.pilot posted:

You should really pay them for the privilege of letting you fly for them.

You'd be amazed how many times I've had to explain that you can't eat flight time.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Kawachi posted:

Huzzah new thread!

I really need to stop being a slack gently caress and start posting some photos & stories of my bush flying gig!

Yea you do.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
If you don't learn to simply study the answers you're gonna have a blast when you take the ATP.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
On a warmer note, I got to play with a conventional O-540 Maule in the Arizona desert today. I'll post pics tomorrow if anyone wants to see.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Sorry it's a bit delayed, here are some pics from my weekend.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Captain Apollo posted:

Okay yeah - My time in a piper cub was absolutly amazing.

That is, until I actually wanted to fly home.....

In something that was faster than 60mph.........

That had a heater.............

Yeah we were planning on taking a Mooney but the loving mechanic put the tail on backwards.

Tailwheel for life. Sorry if you hate fun.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

fordan posted:

Only ever flown non-tailwheel Cubs.

Luckily they floated.

This is a valid excuse. I bet it was a blast.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

chrisgt posted:

Yea, and even though I can't afford the whole 40 hours and everything for IFR right away, I want to at least read the books and get a few hours of training. So at least I know the basics and won't be making GBS threads myself so bad if (when) it happens to me.

Go for it.

I live in an area that has 350+ sunny days a year and I still recommend an instrument ticket to everyone that wants to be a better pilot.

That being said: don't risk poo poo and don't let extra training lead to overconfidence.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

KodiakRS posted:

The best career advice I wish I had listened to:

Find the thing that you are most passionate about in your life, then find the thing you are second most passionate about. Make the second one your career, the first one your hobby.

That's why I fly airplanes for a career and dick around on the internet in my free time.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Hey good job. Hardest rating to get right there.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Yay, tomorrow is NEW MEDICAL day! I love this new online registration that lets you think of every time you've ever been to a hospital and list it in detail.

Luckily I haven't had a complicated history, but man I could see this being hell for anyone who was a stupid kid.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I just got a part-time job on the side as an instrument instructor. I've had my II for over a year now and I've never actually used it, plus my instrument instructor was a joke and I want to avoid putting someone else through that. What's a good jumping off point for me? Anyone have a good instrument syllabus they use, or should I just chug through the PTS?

Basically, I don't want to wing it and look like I'm new to instructing.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

e.pilot posted:

Do you have some kind of loggable sim available to you? I would start students off in that to save them money and time before jumping in to a real plane.

I do have access to one, so there's a thought.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Fastest plane I've ever logged time in is a King Air.

Tomorrow I'm flying a Lear 60. Plus it's my birthday.

:toot:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Rickety Cricket posted:

Are there pre-requisites to taking the CFII written? Someone suggested with all the info still fresh in my mind I should get that one out of the way. Took a practice exam and scored a 94% so I'm thinking maybe he's right - that's assuming I can take it. I've been flipping through Part 61 but don't see anything about prereqs for a written exam.

I took the instrument, CFII and ground instrument instructor in the same hour. Go for it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Double post because I want to talk about *~me~*

Had my first flight in the lear 60 the other day and I freaking love it. So much power in that takeoff, I couldn't stop smiling.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
At work we constantly use KLIT as an alternate.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

kmcormick9 posted:

Can any of the pilots find it?

We get where we want to be without having to.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

brendanwor posted:

After you realise you could've done like 50 round the world trips for the cost of your training?

I became a pilot because I've never traveled. Now I can't afford to travel.

God loving drat It.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Have you googled whether Mooney makes a helicopter yet?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
God I love watching Fox News reporters tell me about airplane pressurization systems.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Butt Reactor posted:

:hfive: that and a Cessna 140 are the only taildraggers I've flown to date, but it's been a blast every time. Just try not to ground loop it....

I've done a lot of tail time, but never a 140. The reason I say this is because my dream is to own a 140, so I'm jelly.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

PT6A posted:

So, I flew through Heathrow yesterday. Was I flying out at a particularly busy time, or is it just hosed up in general? I think I saw six planes lined up to take off (three in front of us, our plane, and then at least two more behind us). I don't think I've seen anything like that, even at major hubs in North America.

The terminal itself was pretty easy to get through, though; I don't know why everyone was warning me about it. It would have been quick and easy if the passengers in front of me were able to read the instructions and get through a security inspection in a reasonable fashion. How the gently caress have you reached international connections in London, while apparently having no clue how airport security works?

I used to love sitting there in a Diamond 20 between 5-10 majors and regionals waiting to go.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My first trip in a jet right seat was to bring some folks into KPHX the day before the super bowl.

It was basically this.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Well that's a funny looking 172. Congrats man that's awesome.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Surprised the Feds didn't flip out about making safety a joke or some dumb poo poo.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

I used this and took the test the day I started studying. Got an 88. I recommend if all you want is to, you know, pass.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

e.pilot posted:

NEXRAD bitches, gonna thread that needle that was there 15 minutes ago!

This is a good post that represents my entire last summer in NC.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

e.pilot posted:

85% on my CPL written. :toot:

I got an 88, loser. You loser.

(Congrats man :cheers:)

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
182 rules. The '66 I used to fly was like the Ford Ranger of airplanes. Loved that old girl.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
The flight school I work for part time sponsored a week long camp that I decided to help with because sometimes teaching kids about airplanes is fun (if they're interested.)

Most horrible experience of my career was flying with a 10 and 13 year old that didn't give two shits about anything I had to say, even when safety was an issue and I needed them to listen. These kids were absolute bastards and I'll quit before I set foot in an airplane with either of them again. I had to park 20 yards out and pull the plane up to the hangar because one of them wouldn't stop kicking the brakes on loving purpose the whole taxi back at a loving class c airport. What the hell god dammit argh gently caress.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I don't want them in my profession because they're dumb and stupid.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

The Ferret King posted:

Kids these days. Rabble rabble.

I'm 30 and have to listen to that kind of bullshit from old washed up controllers at my job. I'm a kid.

These kids were constantly grabbing the throttle to idle and turning off the radio while we were in the air after I told them we weren't going to do that again 10+ times. This kid was 13 years old, almost in high school. This was more than "darn kids" stuff.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

helno posted:

More importantly it is at our home airport and readily available.

And it's your loving airplane.

Congrats, seems like you picked a good one.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
You should because that's hilarious.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

DNova posted:

I think that all ANR headsets still work just fine with ANR turned off. edit: nm I see you already said that. If you want ANR later and can afford it now, then go for it. Leave it off until you are comfortable enough to lose some of the sound cues of the engine.

This. Regardless of the ANR, my Bose headset is the only headset I've ever owned that doesn't make my head hurt after 2 hours of wearing it. Plus my ANR doesn't take the engine noise out of the equation, it just takes some of the hum volume out. I can still hear pitch changes in the engine just fine, and would hear problems no sweat.

As for drone talk (woo!), I got my first call from ATC yesterday that someone was flying a drone in the practice area pretty high up. Requiring a transponder makes me roll my eyes, but maybe just have a small, more detailed, list of regulations, places and times to not use a drone? Like maybe just put a small amount of effort into thinking about what really is feasible?

Rolo fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 19, 2015

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

The Ferret King posted:

What are you really asking?

I'm not really sure, it was just sort of a ramble.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
What about simply registering all drones at the time of purchase and subscribing to some kind of "rules and regs" newsletter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

PT6A posted:

Shouldn't the instructor know that, and turn it to the open position as part of the pre-flight?

Yep. A clogged or contaminated fuel bowl is what you're looking for. Ignoring a clog may as well be you not checking it. I've taken bowls apart and found shredded selector parts in it.

• Locked thread