Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I've been hyped about this game since I heard it on 8-4 Play back in December 2012. This is the longest wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Leofish posted:

I just want to say I enjoy the juxtaposition of the two phrases "I've never really understood what the hubbub about Uematsu is anyway" and "it just got lost in the deluge of Theatrythm posts." :v:

I believe a great deal of Uematsu-love comes from people who grew up playing Final Fantasy, so there's definitely a nostalgia quality there, but he was able to produce some really memorable work, especially in the 8- and 16-bit eras.

Eh, for me personally I don't know if it's so much growing up with it. I didn't get into Final Fantasy until 7, and I wasn't the only one who loved the music in that game. My dad would hook up the surround sound when I played it just so he could listen to the music. He got me the sound track for Christmas.

quote:

I can't see any evidence of Studio Ghibli being involved, but Level-5 has worked alongside them in the past, so I wouldn't be surprised if maybe someone had a hand in it. It's funny you mention the opening cinematic, because the music there reminded me more of Dragon Quest's Sugiyama than Uematsu, except for that phrase just as the kid with the goggles opens the window, which has a very FFVI feel. That could just be that the opening is a lot like the Dragon Quest IX opening.

It just reminded me of Ghibli's stuff, especially the weird looking flying machines.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Silver Falcon posted:

Eh, for me personally I don't know if it's so much growing up with it. I didn't get into Final Fantasy until 7, and I wasn't the only one who loved the music in that game. My dad would hook up the surround sound when I played it just so he could listen to the music. He got me the sound track for Christmas.

Oh yeah, it's different for everyone, but a lot of people grew up alongside Final Fantasy, so it's like the music changed and evolved with them. My dad loved Final Fantasy's music too, and he still likes to linger around the Opera part of FFVI to this day just so he can hear the music more.

Phone posted:

I've been hyped about this game since I heard it on 8-4 Play back in December 2012. This is the longest wait.

I'm a little embarrassed by how much I, a grown-rear end man, am looking forward to this game to come out in Canada.

The UK site for the game is up for anyone still waiting but looking for an English site.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

On one hand, I can't really see anything about this game that makes me need to play it, especially since FFXIV gives me plenty of opportunities to fight things or grind crafting or whatever. On the other hand, the music in that trailer is apparently meant to fire a direct shot down the part of my brain warped by playing JRPGs since I was a kid. Maybe I'll get lucky and the game will turn out to be actually good.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Silver Falcon posted:

What?! gently caress, they got Uematsu and Amano working on this thing?! And the opening cinematic for the game is very Studio Ghibli looking. Don't tell me anyone from Ghibli is also working on the game...

gently caress. I have been super hyped for this game since E3 and it doesn't come out here for another loving month. It is so not fair!

They both worked on parts of it, but they weren't fully involved, really. Amano did the character illustrations but I don't think he did the in-game art direction, and Uematsu wrote the title theme and the theme music for each class but the rest of the music was by someone else.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

drat. I love the idea of this game, as I adore life simulators like Harvest Moon/Rune Factory/Animal Crossing, and the whole job and resource system seems right up my alley. I just wish they'd put more effort into the multiplayer. If you could level up your Life and complete quests while grinding and resource gathering together, my friends and I would never put this down! As is, I have too many 3DS games to play to purchase another time sink. :( One day, though, I'll certainly try it.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I thought you could do normal quests in multi? Just not plot quests and possibly not job quests...

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Added myself to the Goon sheet but if you want to add me and live some fantasies: 1719-3529-8338. I got the game already but I'll probably end up making a new character for the US release if enough people ITT buy it.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Crawfish posted:

I thought you could do normal quests in multi? Just not plot quests and possibly not job quests...

Plot/Job quests are basically the only type of quests there are, or at least would make sense in multiplayer. All the other quests are basically random NPCs that say stuff like "Hey, if you ever come across a really nice pair of shoes, give them to me and I'll give you some cash and an item." You could go and cash in those rewards doing multiplayer but it's not as if that sort of quest is conducive to group activity. Unlike, say, the ultimate job quests where you need to do something really dangerous/kill a tough boss to get access to materials or whatever.

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
Got the game yesterday and I'm really liking the art style and large world.
I started as an alchemist and had fun gathering stuff and making different potions.
I also liked the combat; it's simple but the lock-on mechanism really helps making it fun to control.
One thing I find annoying however is that you apparently need to switch to the relevant jobs at least once before you can e.g. chop down trees or mine ore, so you have to leave the gathering spots without doing anything.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Just downloaded the game and got the DLC.

Going to start as a miner and transition to a lumberjack and than an angler before doing anything else, so I don't have to leave the trees/ore/fish behind.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

scissorman posted:

One thing I find annoying however is that you apparently need to switch to the relevant jobs at least once before you can e.g. chop down trees or mine ore, so you have to leave the gathering spots without doing anything.

That's the entire point of the life system~

Crawfish posted:

Just downloaded the game and got the DLC.

Going to start as a miner and transition to a lumberjack and than an angler before doing anything else, so I don't have to leave the trees/ore/fish behind.
:goonsay:

You can't switch lives for a while and raw materials respawn constantly anyways. And why did you buy the postgame DLC before you even launched the game once, goddamn.

Clara
Feb 7, 2004

The DLC apparently adds more character customization options (I saw someone mention 72 new hairs on another forum) and the bird pet right from the start.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Clara posted:

The DLC apparently adds more character customization options (I saw someone mention 72 new hairs on another forum) and the bird pet right from the start.

Hah, so much for the idea that the DLC was "only" Origin Island--it is the entire Link! expansion after all.

Katana Gomai posted:

You can't switch lives for a while and raw materials respawn constantly anyways.

Unless they changed things up, you can change Lives immediately after finishing your introductory Life quest. And you can skip those entirely too, not that I'd ever recommend it.

Genpei Turtle fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Sep 26, 2014

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme

Genpei Turtle posted:

Hah, so much for the idea that the DLC was "only" Origin Island--it is the entire Link! expansion after all.

:argh:
Guess I'll buy it right now after all.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

scissorman posted:

:argh:
Guess I'll buy it right now after all.

I'm on the exact opposite end of the spectrum, I'm not going to buy it all because of that. Day 1 DLC is bullshit anyways, and now I already made my character and started the game.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Well that's cool, but there are some rocking birds available as pets a little later on, and i'd rather have access to them when I get to them.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Katana Gomai posted:

I'm on the exact opposite end of the spectrum, I'm not going to buy it all because of that. Day 1 DLC is bullshit anyways, and now I already made my character and started the game.

Honestly you should get it eventually. You can redo everything but your voice and gender about your character later in the game, and the amount of content in the DLC is so much that you're missing out on a ton by not buying it. Like, you'll never be able to get to God rank in any Life or use any of the corresponding abilities, most of the Legend-tier crafts you will probably never make at Gold quality unless you're a grinding fiend (since you need God Trainee or God rank to do it consistently) and you're missing out on the only truly combat-heavy area of the game in the form of the post-game bonus dungeons. I concur that it's complete horseshit the way they've done this, but it really is worth getting.

How's the other DLC, BTW? The Japanese version was awful, with stuff like:

103 yen for a handful of emotes!
309 yen to make all inns/stat resets in the game free!
154 for shoes that make dashing take no stamina!
12 items for 103 yen each that make raising Life skills slightly easier to raise!

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
Is there any reason to hold onto outdated equipment?
My bag is almost full and I want to clean it out, so I want to know if I should sell stuff or put it in storage.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Katana Gomai posted:

I take issue with you calling it Day One DLC because it's not exploitative bullshit, it's an expansion that's been out for a year in Japan and is available in other regions straightaway at release.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Sep 26, 2014

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

scissorman posted:

Is there any reason to hold onto outdated equipment?
My bag is almost full and I want to clean it out, so I want to know if I should sell stuff or put it in storage.

Generally, you'll want to sell it. Some stuff is unique (like the starter equipment for each Life and the rewards for getting Legendary in a Life) so you might not want to sell that though. Also it's usually good to keep around an extra set(s) of equipment for when you change your Life. Ie if you're in nothing but heavy armor and switch to a crafting job you'll want something in your inventory so you won't be naked, unless you want to schlep back to your house every time you change your class. It's good to keep some situlational stuff as well, for example a set of equipment that replenishes SP quickly if you decide to switch to casting spells all of a sudden.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

I take issue with you calling it Day One DLC because it's not exploitative bullshit, it's an expansion that's been out for a year in Japan and is available in other regions straightaway at release.

How is deliberately using the older version of the game in order to sell the new content as Day One DLC not "exploitative bullshit"?

Genpei Turtle posted:

12 items for 103 yen each that make raising Life skills slightly easier to raise!

Jesus Christ that's horrible. I love Level-5 (and the only reason I'm so angry about this is because I will end up buying the extra content DLC :doh:) but that's just as bad as those crappy mobile games.

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 26, 2014

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

But enough angryposting, I am very much in love with the game. I think I'm about to enter the next city, but I spent a few hours just leveling my woodcutting and then went carpenter -> hunter before I went back to my trusty axe. I "beat" a boss tree, it was glorious. :3: I guess I should take up mining to grab ores (I now understand what you guys were talking about) and level some blacksmithing, and then I think I'll stick with those lives and melee for the foreseeable future.

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Sep 26, 2014

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Lizard Wizard posted:

It was free in Japan, though, wasn't it?

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

goferchan posted:

Only if you bought the game for the first time after the Link! expansion came out. Once that happened they stopped selling the base version, but if you bought the base version and wanted to upgrade it cost 1500 yen or something.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

goferchan posted:

No, it cost 2,000 yen.

Katana Gomai posted:

How is deliberately using the older version of the game in order to sell the new content as Day One DLC not "exploitative bullshit"?

It's that or a more expensive bundled version like they got in Japan, and maybe there's not enough interest to have two separate retail versions in America.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Clearly they should have waited a certain number of days or weeks before releasing Link, at which point it would have transformed from the villainous Day 1 Thing You Have To Pay Money For to the much more benign regular Thing You Have To Pay Money For.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

It's that or a more expensive bundled version like they got in Japan, and maybe there's not enough interest to have two separate retail versions in America.

I don't buy it, why not sell only the bundled version? There's no conceivable reason you'd want only the base game, and they stopped selling the base game in Japan as soon as Link! came out.

Ed: Actually it looks like the bundled version in Japan is even cheaper--5600 yen when Fantasy Life came out vs 4980 yen for Fantasy Life + Link! (wow, they really screwed you if you bought the original and then got the upgrade DLC)

Genpei Turtle fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Sep 26, 2014

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Genpei Turtle posted:

I don't buy it, why not sell only the bundled version? There's no conceivable reason you'd want only the base game, and they stopped selling the base game in Japan as soon as Link! came out.

Maybe consumers would reject the premise of a $50 3DS game.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

Maybe consumers would reject the premise of a $50 3DS game.
Why would it have to cost $50? Don't be dumb.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Remember back when they made Pokemon Blue to improve Red and Green in Japan and then offered the improvements as day one DLC for the western versions

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

homeless snail posted:

Why would it have to cost $50? Don't be dumb.

Sorry, $55 since that's how much it cost in Japan roughly.

Katana Gomai posted:

Remember back when they made Pokemon Blue to improve Red and Green in Japan and then offered the improvements as day one DLC for the western versions

Blue was a fix/tweak rather than anything that actually expanded upon Red and Green, wasn't it?

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 26, 2014

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

Sorry, $55 since that's how much it cost in Japan roughly.

Come on now, since when have NA/EU games ever been as expensive as their Japanese counterparts? DVDs cost like $60-$80 each in Japan too, are you going to start seeing random Japanese horror flick #207 start going for that in American stores too?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Genpei Turtle posted:

Are DLC prices usually so... arbitrary?

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Strange Quark posted:

Are DLC prices usually so... arbitrary?

The actual base costs when you see something like that are probably more even. Prices in Japan are usually displayed with sales tax included. Some things are set at really uneven prices to make the final tax-included price rounder and others have a more even base price with the display price uneven because of tax. Fantasy Life DLC is an example of the latter.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Genpei Turtle posted:

Come on now, since when have NA/EU games ever been as expensive as their Japanese counterparts? DVDs cost like $60-$80 each in Japan too, are you going to start seeing random Japanese horror flick #207 start going for that in American stores too?

I'm really, truly sorry for trying to understand the subjects being discussed here.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

I'm really, truly sorry for trying to understand the subjects being discussed here.
I'm really truly sorry that you were born with a severe mental handicap.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

homeless snail posted:

I'm really truly sorry that you were born with a severe mental handicap.

I was off-base and I apologize.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Man, this game is time consuming. If we count the tutorial job level as Lv 0, after 5 or so hours i'm Lv 2 in one job and Lv 1 in another.

Edit: Man, Blacksmith is OP as all hell in early game. Due to making a new set of armour every time I gain a life level, my Defense is now 50+ points above any other stats. My offence would probably be the same if I could wield swords yet.

Crawfish fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Sep 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Track
Mar 21, 2013

Genpei Turtle posted:

Honestly you should get it eventually. You can redo everything but your voice and gender about your character later in the game, and the amount of content in the DLC is so much that you're missing out on a ton by not buying it. Like, you'll never be able to get to God rank in any Life or use any of the corresponding abilities, most of the Legend-tier crafts you will probably never make at Gold quality unless you're a grinding fiend (since you need God Trainee or God rank to do it consistently) and you're missing out on the only truly combat-heavy area of the game in the form of the post-game bonus dungeons. I concur that it's complete horseshit the way they've done this, but it really is worth getting.

There's no other DLC available at the moment in Europe, just the expansion. Which is probably just as well from what you've listed; those sound terrible.

• Locked thread