Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
You can change jobs with zero risk, so you'll probably have to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

you can take any/all the life paths and change between them at will, and are actively encouraged to do so frequently because there's a lot of overlap - blacksmithing might require cloth, which is weaved by the tailor from threads that drop from monsters, which are collected by the hunter, whose bow is crafted by the carpenter, who needs wood collected by the lumberjack.... etc etc. you can just buy materials but you'll go bankrupt pretty quickly if you do that too much.

but if you suck at fighting and or you just don't bother leveling your combat lives: at the various points in the story where you'll be faced with a battle, either you'll have npcs with you who will steamroll the enemies alone, or flutter will straight up give you the option to skip the fighting.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

bubblelubble posted:

1) How does the story play out if you choose a non-combat Life, e.g. chef or fishing? Is it still the same the world is in great peril, go to distant lands getting support, kill bitches on the way? Cos that doesn't quite make sense to me.

2) Are dragons as pets rly all that amazing? AKA does the DLC offer much more?

edit: I mean I know you can swap Lives, but I figure they should all have equal playability, right?

I did the story nearly entirely as non-combat jobs (the combat jobs were basically the last ones I did) and it wasn't hard at all. It isn't until the post-game that you really need it.

The dragons are about as useful as all the other pets in a fight--in other words, they're not. The DLC offers a lot more though, there's really no reason not to buy it.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

also you can just take npcs into the field and stand there while they murder everything if you really want

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I know there's some kind of friendship system for NPCs with the DLC, but can you just straight up hire an NPC to come with you if you want? Like maybe a mercenary if you're not one? Let's say I'm a lumberjack and I want a tree from Death Forest of Badass Doom. Can I just pay a dude to murder things for me, or do I have to date him first?

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

npcs will announce that they want to hang out with you, as the story progresses, or as your jobs progress. the game will be all YOU CAN NOW INVITE BUTTLORD INTO YOUR PARTY. one of the first ones you get is a girl who kicks all the early game asses off the bat. you don't need anything to get them to join you once they've been unlocked.

friendship essentially just means levels. you tell the npc or pet to join your party, and they will follow you around as long as you like, killing things with you or just watching you fish for an hour, and they will gain levels/friendship over time, or as you do things. the more friendship they have the stronger they are.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Corridor posted:

npcs will announce that they want to hang out with you, as the story progresses, or as your jobs progress. the game will be all YOU CAN NOW INVITE BUTTLORD INTO YOUR PARTY. one of the first ones you get is a girl who kicks all the early game asses off the bat. you don't need anything to get them to join you once they've been unlocked.

friendship essentially just means levels. you tell the npc or pet to join your party, and they will follow you around as long as you like, killing things with you or just watching you fish for an hour, and they will gain levels/friendship over time, or as you do things. the more friendship they have the stronger they are.

It's also worth mentioning that every NPC (except the pets I think) has a specific Life that they "like" and their friendship will increase twice as fast if you're in that Life when you wander around with them. Also if you do things like let them get killed and don't revive them, their friendship will go down too.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Genpei Turtle posted:

It's also worth mentioning that every NPC (except the pets I think) has a specific Life that they "like" and their friendship will increase twice as fast if you're in that Life when you wander around with them. Also if you do things like let them get killed and don't revive them, their friendship will go down too.

hmm I didn't know that

what about royals

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Corridor posted:

hmm I didn't know that

what about royals

All characters have a preferred Life whether they're associated with a particular Life's questline or not. Some are easy to tell (the fisherman NPCs increase if you're a fisherman) but the other ones are just trial and error to figure out what they are. If by royals you mean the king/queen/princess, they're all Paladin for example. (Which is kind of a no-brainer if you're playing the Japanese version since the Life literally translates as "Royal Guard")

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
So, I've heard in addition to Multiplayer being impossible between DLC version differences, that it includes people you streetpass as well? Is this true?

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Fancy Hat! posted:

So, I've heard in addition to Multiplayer being impossible between DLC version differences, that it includes people you streetpass as well? Is this true?

Can't say for sure, but I think it's a pretty safe bet that's the case. Since the DLC adds new hairstyles and the like, and people you streetpass come to hang out in your town, I'd imagine that people without the DLC wouldn't be able to streetpass people that had it--they wouldn't have the assets to display the streetpassed avatars if they did.

ed: remember that in Japan, it wasn't just DLC, but an entirely different game. The "DLC" option was really a full-on conversion kit. So I wouldn't expect the two versions to be able to talk to each other at all.

Genpei Turtle fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 20, 2014

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

The NA and EU "DLC" is just a 2-block unlock code, though, so those assets are already on the cart or part of the 6800 block download.

There is one thread on GameFAQs about it where one guy claims the Streetpass NPC said you had to have the same version, but another guy says he has 3 3DSes and Streetpasses between the regular and DLC enhanced versions no problem. :iiam:

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine
How difficult is this game? I want some sort of challenge. Last 3DS game I bought was Pokemon X and it was way too easy.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Leofish posted:

The NA and EU "DLC" is just a 2-block unlock code, though, so those assets are already on the cart or part of the 6800 block download.

There is one thread on GameFAQs about it where one guy claims the Streetpass NPC said you had to have the same version, but another guy says he has 3 3DSes and Streetpasses between the regular and DLC enhanced versions no problem. :iiam:

Hahaha that's such a gently caress-you thing to do. Not only do they "release" the original Fantasy Life without the Link expansion, they make you download the whole thing and deliberately lock out all the extra content. It's all there, you just can't use it.

CrusherEAGLE posted:

How difficult is this game? I want some sort of challenge. Last 3DS game I bought was Pokemon X and it was way too easy.

This isn't a game you buy for the challenge. Fantasy Life is kind of a free-from "do whatever you want" kind of game. If you try to craft a top-tier item with a crappy tool for example it'll be pretty drat hard but it's not the sort of game that throws tough obstacles at you every moment. If that's the sort of thing you're looking for you'll be better off with another 3DS game, like Monster Hunter.

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.
(Side-note: I only just got the reference in the thread title. Oops.)

CrusherEAGLE posted:

Yeah, this is definitely one of those games you play specifically to pass the time. I wasted a good few hours the first time I played this - e.g. I usually go to bed earlyish (around 10pm) but I stayed up until 4am and didn't rly notice the time go by.

Btw, you probably should've turned off exp. share on Pokemon X.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Genpei Turtle posted:

All characters have a preferred Life whether they're associated with a particular Life's questline or not. Some are easy to tell (the fisherman NPCs increase if you're a fisherman) but the other ones are just trial and error to figure out what they are. If by royals you mean the king/queen/princess, they're all Paladin for example. (Which is kind of a no-brainer if you're playing the Japanese version since the Life literally translates as "Royal Guard")

is there any bonus to maxxing out friendship

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

also i spent like 15 minutes adding all the datamined codes and holy crap, some of these own bones. yuelia's dress is way more overpowered than any armour i've forged so far, and the prince crown increases crafting xp.

while doing this i realised that yuelia and noelia both have christmas names and felt like a tard

some of them are also insanely loving cute like omg i can run around looking like a tiny napdragon. not sure why they felt the need to have two goth lolita/maid outfits that look almost identical but w/e

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.
Can anyone confirm that items permanently disappear if nobody takes them out of the exchange box for multiplayer?

e: Never mind - the info was literally a click away. Yeah, it disappears.

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.
Hate to double-post, but anyone know how to get into the Dark Void/open the portal in Cave of Shadows? I did it once, but I can't for the Life of me (hurr hurr) remember how I did it.

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme

bubblelubble posted:

Hate to double-post, but anyone know how to get into the Dark Void/open the portal in Cave of Shadows? I did it once, but I can't for the Life of me (hurr hurr) remember how I did it.
You need to be level 40 and have finished the story, you should then get a mail about it.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Leofish posted:

No doubt. There's something like 21,000 pages of text in this game, I think I read. With code being what it is I imagine it's probably not as simple as find+replace all in MS Word.

It looks like the butterfly is named Butterfly in the NA version as well, instead of Flutter like in the EU.

With code being what it is, somebody needs a talking to if that change wasn't just a matter of switching
class_names[3] = "Magician"
to
class_names[3] = "Wizard"
:goonsay:

Guys, I didn't give even the tiniest shred of a gently caress about this game until I realized it was coming out in three days, and now I am super on board with it. I really want to play Rune Factory without dating sim. What's wrong with me?

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Oh my god, the passwords unlock a Napdragon outfit. :3:

I'm now skipping about the place with Yuelia and Laura in tow, beating up bad tempered beasties and those weird floaty-spirit things, all the while looking like a toddler in their first Hallowe'en costume.

I love this game.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

deadly_pudding posted:

With code being what it is, somebody needs a talking to if that change wasn't just a matter of switching
to

Guys, I didn't give even the tiniest shred of a gently caress about this game until I realized it was coming out in three days, and now I am super on board with it. I really want to play Rune Factory without dating sim. What's wrong with me?

I am bad at code. :smithicide:

I've been excited about this game coming out since I saw it in the E3 line up. I knew about it when it launched in Japan, because it was around the same time that AC:NL was being talked about, but it didn't sound like it was ever going to be localized so I just never bothered to look into it again. It's been a long wait on my end. I've watched a few Let's Plays by YOGScast channels, but I don't want to spoil much more.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

deadly_pudding posted:

to

The word "Magician" takes up more screen real estate than the word "Wizard" does. Change the name and all of a sudden you have a whole lot of lines of text that aren't as long character-wise as they were before. If you just flat out changed the name the way you mentioned you'd end up with a whole lot of text with lines ending in the middle of a word and/or extending past the borders of the text box, depending on how the game was programmed. A minor textual change like that can have pretty profound effects on a project. I've done a lot of localization work over the years--not for games, but even with things like publications you often have to do a lot of work to make sure the text fits the way it's supposed to. From everything I hear about games, it's like 1000x worse.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Genpei Turtle posted:

The word "Magician" takes up more screen real estate than the word "Wizard" does. Change the name and all of a sudden you have a whole lot of lines of text that aren't as long character-wise as they were before. If you just flat out changed the name the way you mentioned you'd end up with a whole lot of text with lines ending in the middle of a word and/or extending past the borders of the text box, depending on how the game was programmed. A minor textual change like that can have pretty profound effects on a project. I've done a lot of localization work over the years--not for games, but even with things like publications you often have to do a lot of work to make sure the text fits the way it's supposed to. From everything I hear about games, it's like 1000x worse.

Yeah, that makes sense now that you elaborate on it. I'm used to working with environments that will just line-wrap and introduce scroll bars when necessary, but I encountered this last time I had to teach a program how to output content to a printer. The whole thing is a lot more manageable if you have a fixed-width grid of characters.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

scissorman posted:

You need to be level 40 and have finished the story, you should then get a mail about it.
I assumed it had to do with beating the big monster thing in the depths of the Underground Lake. It wasn't there for me postgame and post Lv40 and then turned up sometime after I beat that thing. The cave painting even looks like it, so I thought the two were related.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Irisi posted:

Oh my god, the passwords unlock a Napdragon outfit. :3:

I'm now skipping about the place with Yuelia and Laura in tow, beating up bad tempered beasties and those weird floaty-spirit things, all the while looking like a toddler in their first Hallowe'en costume.

I love this game.

nap dragon outfit is my favourite costume. the wings increase item drop rate too

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Is a password different from DLC and how do you get it normally without cheating?

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

Any idea if we're getting a midnight launch on the Eshop tomorrow night?

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

Fancy Hat! posted:

Any idea if we're getting a midnight launch on the Eshop tomorrow night?

I'd guess we will, based on past experience.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

I'd guess we will, based on past experience.

What time zone would that be in? Eastern?

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

dmboogie posted:

What time zone would that be in? Eastern?

Normally, yeah. Ive pulled Mario Golf, Kirby and Pokemon at 9PM PST on thursdays. Those are first party, but Nintendo is publishing and its front page on the eShop.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

Ah, yup, just as I get to a wifi spot to check, big ole "DOWNLOAD AT MIDNIGHT 10/24" sign right there next to it on the eshop. Cool!

EDIT: And apparently the Origins Island DLC will only be $7.99? I was expecting a higher price with the EU price. So, hey, that's great~

Fancy Hat! fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 23, 2014

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

I just started my new Life as a miner last night, and I went exploring in the first cave area. After mining a big crystal I now effectively have a pet bag of sulfur following me around, and I don't see anything in the tutorials telling me how to actually do anything with it. Is there someone specific I need to bring it to, or some action I haven't noticed I can do with it or something?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Woo, my download is finished! :woop:

Before I start, is there an easy way to take screenshots from within the game, or do you have to do the Miiverse thing?

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme

JavaJesus posted:

I just started my new Life as a miner last night, and I went exploring in the first cave area. After mining a big crystal I now effectively have a pet bag of sulfur following me around, and I don't see anything in the tutorials telling me how to actually do anything with it. Is there someone specific I need to bring it to, or some action I haven't noticed I can do with it or something?

That's a bounty. Take it to a bounty clerk and you'll get a reward.
You can find them in the guild office or on the map denoted by steering wheel.

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

I...probably should have thought to go back to the guild office after starting my new Life. :doh: Thanks!

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

Just finished downloading, can' wait to dig into this game!
Does your first Life even matter? How easy is it to swap around?

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

Just finished downloading, can' wait to dig into this game!
Does your first Life even matter? How easy is it to swap around?

It doesn't really matter what you start with but I would avoid blacksmith/carpenter because they work best after you start miner/woodcutter and you don't have enough money to buy the materials at that point. Alchemist and cook can also be expensive too.

You can only swap your Life when it says 'explore freely' at the bottom, so not during story stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Oh my god, the shadow dragon on Cacto Cove is repeatedly and horrendously kicking my Level 65 bum.

It's the final challenge I need to get to Legend level as paladin. It's a bastard of a thing, even with Odin and King Eric on backup. Think I'll come back once I'm over level 70 or so.

• Locked thread