Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Advanced the story far enough to move to the second city (but haven't yet), I'm currently leveling Mercenary because I got tired of using daggers and I did Mining/Blacksmithing now. The game triggers all the MMO-like skinner box instincts without the terrible grind (and playerbase) of an MMO, it's glorious. :3: I think now that I bought the DLC (...yea I'm a hypocrite, shut up <:mad:>), I'll try mastering all Lifes on my one character instead of making another "Magician" one for Mage/Alchemist/Cooking/Fishing/Tailoring. I'm fine as a Mercenary for this time being, especially now that I've found out that you can do your other Lives' quests (but not turn them in) even after you've switched. No reason to leave town as a non-combat class, unless I'm missing something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Katana Gomai posted:

Advanced the story far enough to move to the second city (but haven't yet), I'm currently leveling Mercenary because I got tired of using daggers and I did Mining/Blacksmithing now. The game triggers all the MMO-like skinner box instincts without the terrible grind (and playerbase) of an MMO, it's glorious. :3: I think now that I bought the DLC (...yea I'm a hypocrite, shut up <:mad:>), I'll try mastering all Lifes on my one character instead of making another "Magician" one for Mage/Alchemist/Cooking/Fishing/Tailoring. I'm fine as a Mercenary for this time being, especially now that I've found out that you can do your other Lives' quests (but not turn them in) even after you've switched. No reason to leave town as a non-combat class, unless I'm missing something.

You're not going to get too far on some of the boss class trees/rocks/fish unless you're in the corresponding class. Using the tension techniques (which are locked out if you, say, try to mine as a hunter) are pretty critical to doing those. Also there are some specific Life quests that require you to be in the right class as well--even if you complete the task, you won't get credit for it if you're currently in the "wrong" Life. Most of those types of quests are combat-class quests though IIRC.

But yeah there's zero reason to create multiple characters to divide up your jobs, do them all on one character. Even if you don't have the right stats for it, you can always respec later on.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Yeah I just found out that you lose out on the job-specific skills; my woodcutting is finally high enough to damage the Elder Wood Tree, but as a Mercenary I didn't have access to my best skill and couldn't chop it down. Thanks for the tip, and I'm glad there's a stat reset.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Sucks that the third level of carpentry is completely locked out until you get to the second town, but I just unlocked it and are slowly focusing on getting to Adept in all 12 lifes before I advance the plot.

I find it funny how awkward the pacing of this game can get based on what you do. I got a quest to try and kill the Napdragon at the beginning of the second plot day thing.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Crawfish posted:

Sucks that the third level of carpentry is completely locked out until you get to the second town, but I just unlocked it and are slowly focusing on getting to Adept in all 12 lifes before I advance the plot.

That's how all the Lifes work. You'll hit a wall after a bit until you get access to the second town, and then a little later on you'll hit a wall until you get access to the third town, and so forth--you won't be able to get to the Master/Legendary Life levels for anything until you reach the end of the game, and God Trainee/God until you get to Origin Island.

If you play further into the game and decide to take on a new class for the first time, though, you'll find that the stats you gained in the interim make getting you up to speed in your new class very easy. Ranks 1-3 or whatever in a brand new Life go by very quickly when you're experienced enough to be at the third town or later. So you don't have to do them all immediately if you don't want to.

ed:

quote:

I find it funny how awkward the pacing of this game can get based on what you do. I got a quest to try and kill the Napdragon at the beginning of the second plot day thing.

Some of those Life quests can be saved for later--you don't need to clear them all to go up in rank, and some Life quests given early on are WAY too difficult for when you'd first get them. One Miner quest in particular, to mine a boss stone in the lava cave, you'll probably need to be a few Life Ranks higher than when you get the quest to have a good chance of actually doing it.

Genpei Turtle fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Sep 28, 2014

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I expected i'd get roadblocked, but every other life i'd done so far let me get Adept before heading over there. Carpentry and the Stitching ones are the only ones that sit you down at Apprentice and tell you "Not yet son".

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Are some people just playing the Japanese version, or did I miss the release date?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Europe got it now, America gets it a bit later.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

nucleicmaxid posted:

Are some people just playing the Japanese version, or did I miss the release date?

It's out in Europe.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Is this how Europe usually feels? :smith:

(in America)

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
... Oh. :911:

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Really sucks this game isn't getting much attention because it's addictive as heck. Then again I can see why not many would enjoy it, the entire game is based on the more mundane and tedious tasks in (MMO)RPGs, which for me was actually my favourite parts but for everyone else it's not as appealing.

So far I'm being boring and just made myself as a character and I'm rolling as my RL profession: a Chef. So if anyone wants me to grind away to cook something for them (once I am better) then give me a shout.

I'm really loving the aesthetics of the game, I know it's going to keep me occupied for a long time in the same way DQIX did. Really not sure how anyone is saying it's like AC crossed with Final Fantasy because it really really isn't.

FC: 092003561730
If anyone in here played ACNL then you may already have me added, either way just let me know if you want to quest it up.

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
Are you supposed to ignore the boss monsters and come back later?
I'm currently an adept magician and to advance it seems I need to beat a wraith but I barely do any damage.

Or maybe I'm missing a challenge I could do instead?
Is there a list somewhere?

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

scissorman posted:

I'm currently an adept magician and to advance it seems I need to beat a wraith but I barely do any damage.

Or maybe I'm missing a challenge I could do instead?
Is there a list somewhere?

I don't remember that specific quest, but it depends--a lot of the ranks you don't have to beat them all to advance. But in general, bosses are giant damage sponges and it will take a ton of attacks to take them down. Bring some allies and a lot of healing/stamina/revival potions.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

I've been playing this for 9 hours and I still haven't actually done anything. I love it.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
All the Club Nintendo bonuses run out on October 17th for Fantasy Life, a game that releases on Oct 24th in the US.

My coins! :negative:

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Ragequit posted:

All the Club Nintendo bonuses run out on October 17th for Fantasy Life, a game that releases on Oct 24th in the US.

My coins! :negative:

Those are probably "intent to purchase" surveys. Usually you do them, and then when you actually purchase and register the game, you get 10 more coins than you would otherwise.

HitmanAndQuitIt
Sep 13, 2002

dont take extercy
Hey cool people that aren't americans, have you managed to find a source of wool? :(

King Crab
Nov 12, 2005

lets pretend i didnt say that and lets als0 pretend it isnt inevitable
They either sell the fluff at the shop or you can murder rams for it in the grassy plains. I do have to say that I did always love doing the crafting stuff in mmos, 10 hours in and I have moved house and am considering spending a further 2 to craft furniture.

Fast Track
Mar 21, 2013

HitmanAndQuitIt posted:

Hey cool people that aren't americans, have you managed to find a source of wool? :(

You can also get one or two free every day from the little area with the sheep - look for the sparkle by the benches.

scissorman posted:

That wraith is bullshit. I would love to know how you're supposed to beat it.

Anyone know where to getting stunning coral or pretty coral? I can only find vivid and glittering.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Fast Track posted:

Anyone know where to getting stunning coral or pretty coral? I can only find vivid and glittering.

I'm guessing which is which since I don't know the translations, but I'm pretty sure the Portport (second town) alchemist shop is where you need to go. If you haven't expanded the shop's inventory with a Bliss bonus you'll have to do that too.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Holy poo poo, the post game DLC stuff gotten through the coins. I think i'm going to stop grinding my lifes and head for the end of the game so I can start trying to get some of them.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Crawfish posted:

Holy poo poo, the post game DLC stuff gotten through the coins. I think i'm going to stop grinding my lifes and head for the end of the game so I can start trying to get some of them.

The requirements on using those coins are pretty stringent, so it might not be worth it to charge ahead. First, to even be able to use them you have to finish everything--both the full game and the Origin Island story. Only then will you get the event that will let you use the coins. Then, what you get from each coin is totally random, so you might not even be able to get what you want. Most of the good stuff you get from those coins requires you to be at least Level 100 too. There's only a handful of stuff worth using with lower level requirements, mostly from the Cliff Temple on Origin Island, but by the time you'll be able to get it you'll probably be able to make or buy stuff that's equivalent or better. The Mars coin stuff is really geared for post-game characters that want to try their hand at the bonus dungeons.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I'm not entirely sure it works the same way in the localization, since it seems some of the stuff that was individual DLC over in Japan is general coin stuff over here. I remember you talking about how the mirror that lets you change how you look and some of the more special effect stuff was individual DLC, but according to dudes on the internet, they are Lunares coin specific stuff.

Either way I wanted to move on in the plot anyways. I have all 12 jobs at at least adept and some of the missions were getting pretty hard to do without story progression.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Crawfish posted:

I'm not entirely sure it works the same way in the localization, since it seems some of the stuff that was individual DLC over in Japan is general coin stuff over here. I remember you talking about how the mirror that lets you change how you look and some of the more special effect stuff was individual DLC, but according to dudes on the internet, they are Lunares coin specific stuff.

Either way I wanted to move on in the plot anyways. I have all 12 jobs at at least adept and some of the missions were getting pretty hard to do without story progression.

How early do they start dishing out those coins? (Also hah they changed the "planet" on the coins--they were Mars Coins in the Japanese version) They were really really rare in the Japanese version--the only way to get them was by doing post-end-of-DLC errands or doing the final Life trial after getting God level. The "normal" way to get them was by buying the lovely microtransaction DLC, which would give you a couple silver/gold coins for each you bought.

I'd still be surprised if they let you start using the coins earlier--they'd have to redo a story event that won't happen until after you complete Origin Island to do that. "Give a coin to a statue, get a random reward" will also kind of suck if they add the Japanese microtransaction DLC to the pot--each statue already had 20 rewards, so adding even more will make it a lot harder to get the one you want.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I haven't heard anything about the Mars Coins at all. All i've seen has been based on the Gold Lunares coins. I'm not entirely sure when and how it unlocks, because the thread I was reading said post game, but then talked about things that other people have said is fairly far into the Origin Island stuff.

I'm honestly not entirely sure what i'm talking about on the matter at this point, but the thread did say the furniture that did stuff like change your look and stuff was gotten through the gold coins.

Veriun
Mar 9, 2013

As long as we're alive,
good things will come.

And we'll be okay.
I started as a Tailor, and realized far too late that pooling all my growth points into dexterity for the sake of sewing good stuff completely shafted my damage output with everything that isn't a dagger. :downs: My defenses are pretty beefed, though, so combat is a slow, but manageable affair. I mostly just run around and collect stuff anyways, I find it far more entertaining than fighting. I'm having way too much fun with this game.

Anyone know where you get Fine Feathers? I've been searching for a while with no luck (just arrived at the third city). Are they sold anywhere?

Fast Track
Mar 21, 2013

Genpei Turtle posted:

I'm guessing which is which since I don't know the translations, but I'm pretty sure the Portport (second town) alchemist shop is where you need to go. If you haven't expanded the shop's inventory with a Bliss bonus you'll have to do that too.

Thanks! I had completely forgotten to check there.

Veriun posted:

Anyone know where you get Fine Feathers? I've been searching for a while with no luck (just arrived at the third city). Are they sold anywhere?

I think the owls that spawn in the Elderwood at night might drop them. Also, have you tried becoming a hunter? Dexterity is really beneficial in that life.

Becklespinax
Aug 20, 2013

I'm having a good time with this, generally! The Level-5 recipe of endless crafting and endless grinding quests somehow directly speaks to me in ways I don't really understand :V I can see why it might not be everyone's cup of tea though.

Regarding the DLC - is it worth getting it straight away or is it mostly late-game content? £7 for DLC is a bit steep right now for me, especially as you can't multiplayer up with people who don't have the DLC, you have to either both have it or both not have it.

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme

Becklespinax posted:

Regarding the DLC - is it worth getting it straight away or is it mostly late-game content? £7 for DLC is a bit steep right now for me, especially as you can't multiplayer up with people who don't have the DLC, you have to either both have it or both not have it.

Most of it is post-game but it also includes stuff like cosmetic options and bird pets so you might want to buy it before starting your game.

What influences the drop rate of gems and elder wood when mining/logging?
I currently need to gather rubies but they drop really rarely.
Do I need to boost my luck some more before I continue?

Also, I've got a mission to mine a wingstone but I can't even damage it.
Do I need more strength/better equipment?

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

scissorman posted:

What influences the drop rate of gems and elder wood when mining/logging?
I currently need to gather rubies but they drop really rarely.
Do I need to boost my luck some more before I continue?

Also, I've got a mission to mine a wingstone but I can't even damage it.
Do I need more strength/better equipment?

Luck helps, but what you really want to do is make sure that your final strike is a really powerful one. You want to whittle the tree/rock down to a sliver of life and then hit it with a Tension technique, or failing that, a charged smack. It'll say "Excellent" when you knock it down and the drop rate will increase quite a lot. There are also items that increase rare drop rates for trees/rocks, but you won't be able to make them until later in the game.

As for the wingstone, if it's what I think it is, come back much, MUCH later. That mission comes at a time where you'll probably be nowhere near ready to mine that thing. You'll probably need to raise at least a few Miner ranks and have close to end-game equipment before you'll have a decent chance to finish that quest.

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.
I'm currently playing as a Hunter, and I'm confused: how exactly do special arrows work? E.g sleep and poison?

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

bubblelubble posted:

I'm currently playing as a Hunter, and I'm confused: how exactly do special arrows work? E.g sleep and poison?

They only work with charged shots. You set the arrow type you want with the D-pad, and then all your charged attacks with the A button (not X) will have the status. Anecdotally I haven't found the special arrows to be particularly useful but YMMV.

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
I just got a bliss bonus called mystery fairy and I can't find it in the world.
Apparently there is supposed to be a new merchant beneath a pink tree in the first area but I ran around, even cutting down all trees just to be sure, and found nothing.
What am I missing here?
Also, what does the merchant sell?

Fast Track
Mar 21, 2013
Go south-east from the hairdresser and her plant that dyes stuff along the elevated section of land until you get to a really flowery area. The tree is in the centre. I think the merchant sells rare flowers or something along those lines.

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme

Fast Track posted:

Go south-east from the hairdresser and her plant that dyes stuff along the elevated section of land until you get to a really flowery area. The tree is in the centre. I think the merchant sells rare flowers or something along those lines.

Thanks, turns out I looked in the wrong area.
She sells all flowers, some crafting crystals and accessories like glasses.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Ugh, kind of burnt out on trying to level up Life ranks.

It doesn't help that there are so many secret missions that there are two lives at the moment that I don't know how to level up because I have no more quests on my quest log for them. I'm thinking about consulting a guide to just do a couple of master quests in advance to get me over the hump.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Crawfish posted:

Ugh, kind of burnt out on trying to level up Life ranks.

It doesn't help that there are so many secret missions that there are two lives at the moment that I don't know how to level up because I have no more quests on my quest log for them. I'm thinking about consulting a guide to just do a couple of master quests in advance to get me over the hump.

FWIW those secret missions almost always come from the "representative" of the corresponding job somewhere else. Like the dude in the hunter's camp outside the the second village would be more likely to be the one to give you a hunter quest for example. Few if any of those come from completely random people.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I know that, I just don't know where half the life associated dudes are. Luckily I ended up having enough quests left in Merc to master it and am now working on mastering lumberjack.

Alternatively I can unlock Origin Island in 2 levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Jesus god, this thing is the most addictive parts of The Sims, Animal Crossing and Dragon Quest 9 all wrapped up in an adorable pink bow.

The thing about names being only 8 letters long is a bit craptastic though. My tiny warrior/blacksmith called Hiccup needs a pet called Toothless!

Also, I've taken on so many quests at once that when I complete them I'm having serious trouble remembering who gave them to me, given that the map only shows the general area the requestor is in, and pretty much everybody in that area has a quest flag on them.

Other than that, it's a lovely game to play in short burst while travelling, or on lunch breaks.

• Locked thread