Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

I got 2 hours into the game today as a woodcutter, and it's exactly as great as I hoped it would be after playing it at Gamescom. This is going to eat so many hours of my life.

BTW, I put the link for this thread in the 3DS general because the OP didn't (or I missed it) and I only found this thread because I went looking for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Added myself to the Goon sheet but if you want to add me and live some fantasies: 1719-3529-8338. I got the game already but I'll probably end up making a new character for the US release if enough people ITT buy it.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

scissorman posted:

One thing I find annoying however is that you apparently need to switch to the relevant jobs at least once before you can e.g. chop down trees or mine ore, so you have to leave the gathering spots without doing anything.

That's the entire point of the life system~

Crawfish posted:

Just downloaded the game and got the DLC.

Going to start as a miner and transition to a lumberjack and than an angler before doing anything else, so I don't have to leave the trees/ore/fish behind.
:goonsay:

You can't switch lives for a while and raw materials respawn constantly anyways. And why did you buy the postgame DLC before you even launched the game once, goddamn.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

scissorman posted:

:argh:
Guess I'll buy it right now after all.

I'm on the exact opposite end of the spectrum, I'm not going to buy it all because of that. Day 1 DLC is bullshit anyways, and now I already made my character and started the game.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

I take issue with you calling it Day One DLC because it's not exploitative bullshit, it's an expansion that's been out for a year in Japan and is available in other regions straightaway at release.

How is deliberately using the older version of the game in order to sell the new content as Day One DLC not "exploitative bullshit"?

Genpei Turtle posted:

How's the other DLC, BTW? The Japanese version was awful, with stuff like:

103 yen for a handful of emotes!
309 yen to make all inns/stat resets in the game free!
154 for shoes that make dashing take no stamina!
12 items for 103 yen each that make raising Life skills slightly easier to raise!

Jesus Christ that's horrible. I love Level-5 (and the only reason I'm so angry about this is because I will end up buying the extra content DLC :doh:) but that's just as bad as those crappy mobile games.

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 26, 2014

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

But enough angryposting, I am very much in love with the game. I think I'm about to enter the next city, but I spent a few hours just leveling my woodcutting and then went carpenter -> hunter before I went back to my trusty axe. I "beat" a boss tree, it was glorious. :3: I guess I should take up mining to grab ores (I now understand what you guys were talking about) and level some blacksmithing, and then I think I'll stick with those lives and melee for the foreseeable future.

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Sep 26, 2014

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Remember back when they made Pokemon Blue to improve Red and Green in Japan and then offered the improvements as day one DLC for the western versions

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Advanced the story far enough to move to the second city (but haven't yet), I'm currently leveling Mercenary because I got tired of using daggers and I did Mining/Blacksmithing now. The game triggers all the MMO-like skinner box instincts without the terrible grind (and playerbase) of an MMO, it's glorious. :3: I think now that I bought the DLC (...yea I'm a hypocrite, shut up <:mad:>), I'll try mastering all Lifes on my one character instead of making another "Magician" one for Mage/Alchemist/Cooking/Fishing/Tailoring. I'm fine as a Mercenary for this time being, especially now that I've found out that you can do your other Lives' quests (but not turn them in) even after you've switched. No reason to leave town as a non-combat class, unless I'm missing something.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Yeah I just found out that you lose out on the job-specific skills; my woodcutting is finally high enough to damage the Elder Wood Tree, but as a Mercenary I didn't have access to my best skill and couldn't chop it down. Thanks for the tip, and I'm glad there's a stat reset.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Now you say "finally", but the game has only been out for a week and you already put 70 hours in. :stare:

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Corridor posted:

you can respec your character (i dunno if you could do this before)

I have beaten the story and still haven't found this NPC. Where is it?

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Genpei Turtle posted:

It's the Forbidden Tome in the back of the magic library in the third town. During the daytime he sells random crap IIRC, but at night he'll respec your stats for 30K a pop.

Oh right, I saw him during the day and he told me about his night deal but I forgot to go back. I had a hunch.

In other news, I mastered my first Life (Blacksmith) and am going to do a few more before grinding out level 50 and unlocking the DLC content. Goddamn the skinner box is working well in this game.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Fancy Hat! posted:

Do I get any immediate benefit from buying the big Origin Island DLC day one when it releases in NA next week? It seems from what I've heard it's late game stuff, but I have a feeling I'm in for the long run on this game anyway.

If this is basically what I'm hoping for (DQ9 meets Rune Factory 4) then I'm in huge trouble.

You get some stuff such as new hair styles right away, although you can change your hair style later in the game. I bought it when I was about five hours into the game and didn't notice any obvious changes, and I have yet to unlock the "actual" DLC content because I haven't reached the minimum level yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Corridor posted:

what the fuuuuuuu

this list has been here the WHOLE TIME? why didn't the game tell me this poo poo!!

yeah i've been doing the jump spin regularly, but would accidentally do a hero shot without realising why. mother of gently caress!

It did, though, back when you learned it. Either that, or your master will explain it to you. Talk to everyone, Fantasy Life is still an RPG.

• Locked thread