Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Thanks for making the thread, Genpei Turtle. I can't wait for this game to come out Stateside. Do you have any experience with the fishing mini-game? I want to start as an Angler and sort of work my way through gatherers and crafters early on before branching out into combat, probably with Hunter at first.

I will say this game looks endlessly grindable, which I like. I find mindless grinding to be relaxing.

Genpei Turtle posted:

All right, I'll update the OP accordingly. Any information on Star/Happy? (Or any other terminology--I missed the streams)

The happiness thing is called Bliss Points in the Western localization. I don't recall what stars are, but Bliss Points unlock special things like more inventory space and pets. I believe they've also changed the name of the world to "Reveria" from Fantazeal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Irisi posted:

Never played Final Fantasy, but this looks a little bit like Dragon Quest 9 to me, and since that is my absolute favourite DS game by several thousand miles, I'm in. Like someone said in the thread earlier, I find grinding for levels weirdly relaxing.

Just watched the trailer of it, and it's impossibly cute. Plus, you get to have a pet!

The developer Level-5 had a hand in both DQIX and Fantasy Life, so it's no coincidence. DQIX was also my favourite DS game, and I sunk hundreds of hours into that game, between two different run-throughs. There are still some treasure maps and bosses I never got to see, but I enjoyed just leveling up and maxing out different class skills.

They brought in some heavy-hitters on the creative for Fantasy Life as well: Final Fantasy alumni Nobuo Uematsu and Yoshitaka Amano are responsible for the music and art direction, respectively.

Of course, if you're unfamiliar with Final Fantasy maybe that won't mean much to you, personally, but Uematsu's work is among the best video game music, in my opinion. Amano's style is a bit esoteric, but his Fantasy Life stuff isn't quite as wispy as his Final Fantasy artwork.

Genpei Turtle posted:

Yeah, I've God-ranked all the jobs in the Japanese version so there's not much in the game in general I haven't seen. I don't know if there's much more that I can say other than what's in the OP. If you're currently in the Angler job (as opposed to just fishing with another job) then you can fish more out of fishing spots before it dries up. Boss fish randomly spawn in specific fishing spots, and when you fish them they count as "Big Items." Big items are higher-ranking treasure that drops from boss monsters, trees, rocks, and fish. You have to drag them behind you until you can find a guild rep to redeem them for cash and an item. Big items have HP and can be destroyed by monsters, and you can only carry up to 3 of them, so they're a risk/reward thing.

Oh cool, so the boss gathering things are like the bounties they talked about on the Treehouse vids. I want to catch a white whale. I hope there is one. :3: (Don't spoil this one for me ;) )

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Sep 25, 2014

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Genpei Turtle posted:

Well, the art direction has a notable lack of emaciated goth androgynes, so I can see why people would be surprised to learn that Amano did it. :v:

The music is only OK though IMHO. Not great, but not terrible either. But then I've never really understood what the hubbub about Uematsu is anyway, he seems very hit-and-miss to me in general.

You missed it, I definitely put it in there, it just got lost in the deluge of Theatrythm posts.

I just want to say I enjoy the juxtaposition of the two phrases "I've never really understood what the hubbub about Uematsu is anyway" and "it just got lost in the deluge of Theatrythm posts." :v:

I believe a great deal of Uematsu-love comes from people who grew up playing Final Fantasy, so there's definitely a nostalgia quality there, but he was able to produce some really memorable work, especially in the 8- and 16-bit eras.

Silver Falcon posted:

What?! gently caress, they got Uematsu and Amano working on this thing?! And the opening cinematic for the game is very Studio Ghibli looking. Don't tell me anyone from Ghibli is also working on the game...

gently caress. I have been super hyped for this game since E3 and it doesn't come out here for another loving month. It is so not fair!

I can't see any evidence of Studio Ghibli being involved, but Level-5 has worked alongside them in the past, so I wouldn't be surprised if maybe someone had a hand in it. It's funny you mention the opening cinematic, because the music there reminded me more of Dragon Quest's Sugiyama than Uematsu, except for that phrase just as the kid with the goggles opens the window, which has a very FFVI feel. That could just be that the opening is a lot like the Dragon Quest IX opening.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Silver Falcon posted:

Eh, for me personally I don't know if it's so much growing up with it. I didn't get into Final Fantasy until 7, and I wasn't the only one who loved the music in that game. My dad would hook up the surround sound when I played it just so he could listen to the music. He got me the sound track for Christmas.

Oh yeah, it's different for everyone, but a lot of people grew up alongside Final Fantasy, so it's like the music changed and evolved with them. My dad loved Final Fantasy's music too, and he still likes to linger around the Opera part of FFVI to this day just so he can hear the music more.

Phone posted:

I've been hyped about this game since I heard it on 8-4 Play back in December 2012. This is the longest wait.

I'm a little embarrassed by how much I, a grown-rear end man, am looking forward to this game to come out in Canada.

The UK site for the game is up for anyone still waiting but looking for an English site.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

nucleicmaxid posted:

Are some people just playing the Japanese version, or did I miss the release date?

It's out in Europe.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Irisi posted:

Jesus god, this thing is the most addictive parts of The Sims, Animal Crossing and Dragon Quest 9 all wrapped up in an adorable pink bow.

The thing about names being only 8 letters long is a bit craptastic though. My tiny warrior/blacksmith called Hiccup needs a pet called Toothless!

Also, I've taken on so many quests at once that when I complete them I'm having serious trouble remembering who gave them to me, given that the map only shows the general area the requestor is in, and pretty much everybody in that area has a quest flag on them.

Other than that, it's a lovely game to play in short burst while travelling, or on lunch breaks.

Wait, you get eight letters for your name? I had read it was only six. Eight would be so much better. Or is the eight just for pets?

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Fancy Hat! posted:

Do I get any immediate benefit from buying the big Origin Island DLC day one when it releases in NA next week? It seems from what I've heard it's late game stuff, but I have a feeling I'm in for the long run on this game anyway.

If this is basically what I'm hoping for (DQ9 meets Rune Factory 4) then I'm in huge trouble.

You'll have access to added character customization options and a change to how friendly NPCs react in your party via the friendship system, which allows them to level up. If I'm not mistaken you'll also be able to have a pet bird early on, instead of just a cat or dog. The remainder of the DLC is end-game content.

Be aware that you can only connect to multiplayer with players who have the same version of the game as you. If you have the DLC, you can't multiplay with people who don't have it, and vice versa. Multiplayer is more of an add-on where you can fool around with friends and beat up monsters more than anything else, though, because you can't complete quests in multiplayer mode.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

scissorman posted:

Yeah, ok, I think I'm done.
I've put 135 hours into the game and done everything except get the two last god ranks (alchemist up to god-in-training, carpenter only up to master).
Overall I really enjoyed my time with it and I definitely recommend it.

What would you say were your favourite and least favourite parts of the game? Spoiler-free, of course.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

scissorman posted:

My favorite is definitely the quest system, which always gives you something to do; it also ensures that you experience the sheer amount of content included in the game instead of just running through it to complete the story.

My least favorite thing is a tossup between the end-game bosses - even with proper equipment it's just a tedious routine of dodging/enduring bullshit attacks and whittling them down - and the lack of variety in the crafting minigame.
After a while it just gets old, especially because they don't change it up, just make it longer.
If you're planning to go all the way to God rank in every job, I'd recommend following Genpei Turtle's advice and do the crafting in short intervals between other activities.

I can't remember the last time I got 100% on a game before getting bored or moving on to something else, but I guess I'll have to see with this one.

It might have been cool if the crafting mini games were different for each life and used the touch screen more, like swirling the stylus around like you're stirring a pot for the cooking minigame, or tapping a touch screen anvil as a blacksmith. Though I suppose if you have to do it 1000 times it'll get dry eventually anyway.

Still, I'm excited to see where I end up.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Grilox posted:

According to the official US site, they changed "Magician" to "Wizard" for no reason when porting from EU to US.

Huh.

So that's why it took an extra month! :doh:

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

nutranurse posted:

If localization is as much of a bitch as people claim it to be that one change probably caused some poor employee an endless amount of problems.

No doubt. There's something like 21,000 pages of text in this game, I think I read. With code being what it is I imagine it's probably not as simple as find+replace all in MS Word.

It looks like the butterfly is named Butterfly in the NA version as well, instead of Flutter like in the EU.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

I know there's some kind of friendship system for NPCs with the DLC, but can you just straight up hire an NPC to come with you if you want? Like maybe a mercenary if you're not one? Let's say I'm a lumberjack and I want a tree from Death Forest of Badass Doom. Can I just pay a dude to murder things for me, or do I have to date him first?

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

The NA and EU "DLC" is just a 2-block unlock code, though, so those assets are already on the cart or part of the 6800 block download.

There is one thread on GameFAQs about it where one guy claims the Streetpass NPC said you had to have the same version, but another guy says he has 3 3DSes and Streetpasses between the regular and DLC enhanced versions no problem. :iiam:

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

deadly_pudding posted:

With code being what it is, somebody needs a talking to if that change wasn't just a matter of switching
class_names[3] = "Magician"
to
class_names[3] = "Wizard"
:goonsay:

Guys, I didn't give even the tiniest shred of a gently caress about this game until I realized it was coming out in three days, and now I am super on board with it. I really want to play Rune Factory without dating sim. What's wrong with me?

I am bad at code. :smithicide:

I've been excited about this game coming out since I saw it in the E3 line up. I knew about it when it launched in Japan, because it was around the same time that AC:NL was being talked about, but it didn't sound like it was ever going to be localized so I just never bothered to look into it again. It's been a long wait on my end. I've watched a few Let's Plays by YOGScast channels, but I don't want to spoil much more.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

The "Bean Toe Squad" is the cutest name for a gang of cats. :3: I've already caught a bunch of fish and have bought myself a cool tam o'shanter and a cape. I also stumbled across a super-rare flower, apparently, so it's now my Streetpass present. I have no idea what it does, but hey, maybe I'll make some new alchemist's day one day.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Shnooks posted:

How did you guys decide on what Life to pick? I think I spent 30 minutes deciding and I still haven't picked one :(

I spent most of my time on my hair.

Only to cover it up with a hat made out of a fish.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Silver Falcon posted:

My first Bliss upgrade I unlocked pets, and then promptly got a kitty.

A black kitty, the perfect companion for a wizard. I named him Sam, after a cat I had when I was a kid, and we go adventuring together. He looks so cute following me around. :3:

No regrets!

Same, only I got a tortie. I didn't see an orange cat, so a tortie it was. I named it after my cat who died a couple of years ago. Now we can play together again! :3:

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Bounties are admittedly unintuitive if you've played literally any other game. I get the urge to break the box open, but it's not like the game doesn't explain them to you.

Grabbing things can be annoying in the field sometimes because I find I'm sometimes pulling out my weapon and then I have to put it back and then approach the thing again and wait for the little hand icon or whatever to show up and THEN press A.

But again there are a hojillion tutorials in this game that you can read at your mailbox at any time. The bounties are explained, and they even show a picture of one.

Maybe the note at the top of the OP should be "This game has a million words in it. If you don't like to read poo poo, this isn't the game for you."

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Oct 26, 2014

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

I just started up the Hunter life. I'm not sure if I like it yet. I do know Huntin' Pete is a doofus. I don't want that guy hanging around me. I'm still working on trying out all the lives. It took a few hours to get to apprentice Angler, but I hit apprentice Cook in like 5 minutes after finishing the tutorial.

I'll probably knock off Miner and Woodcutter next just to wrap up having all the gatherers.

I did multiplayer with my wife and it was okay. It definitely feels tacked on, though, but it was nice that we could trade items at least. I've been enjoying finding her sprite in different parts of the city, and I hope I get more streetpass tags soon from other people. (Everyone I tag is playing Smash)

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Have any of you anglers found applefish in the plains yet? I assume they spawn in a fishing spot next to the apple tree near the entrance to the western plains, but I haven't seen a spot there yet. Is it just a matter of time?

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

There are so many things I want to do that I keep putting off advancing the story. I'm getting the point now, though, that I'm going to have to in order to advance lives because I can no longer get the materials I need to complete challenges.

Also, here's something that happens apparently: If you adventure with another player who is an angler, let's say, and the angler fishes up fish while you're in multiplayer, a copy of the fish will be left behind for the other player, only visible to them AND it counts toward angler achievements, apparently, because my wife got a bunch of stars for fish I got out of the lava cave and on the plains and such when we were playing together. She switched to angler for the first time and had enough stars to jump straight to adept.

So in theory, woodcutter and miner challenges would work the same way.

And you get multiples of the bounty item rewards too. Only one person can get the dosh but if you're with a second person you get two of the item. We beat up a bandit in the desert and I turned the bounty in and we got two stuffed camels. :3:

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Inflammatory posted:

i don't think he said anything about bounties though.

I did. When you turn in a bounty with multiple players you get more items than if you were playing in single player. You still have to go to the box in the guild office to give it to the other player, but instead of getting 1 hard claw from a panther, for example, you'll get 2, and presumably 3 if you have 3 players.

However only the player turning it in gets the money.

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 31, 2014

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

It's nice to know that if you disconnect while in multiplayer you don't lose all the stuff you gathered. Lost my connection after adventuring in the waterfall and lava caves and collecting ores, fish, and trees from the mountain. I was all worried at first, but then all the items were still in my inventory, so that's a relief.

Genpei Turtle posted:

Eh, I guess it's a little bit better then, but still not great. I thought you were saying that when you cashed it in everyone automatically got a copy of the item in their inventory. It's better than the original I guess but still a pain in the rear end, especially since most bounty clerks are nowhere near the guild office.

Sorry to confuse, but no, the person turning in the bounty gets the money and the item, but the item is doubled when a second player is around. I always end my adventure at the guild office anyway, so we can exchange any items one or the other needs.

There's not much more to do in multiplayer besides hunt and gather, but it can still be a lot of fun.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

I got my first organic streetpass tags for this game yesterday! Three of them! :woop:

But only one has a present attached. :negative:

Don't forget to attach a present to your Streetpass profile. You don't lose the item you attach and you actually hand out the total number of the item you had in your inventory when you set it. I was giving away two ornamental carps for awhile, but my latest present was four elder pine logs.

It takes a bit of time of finding the little avatars around Castele and talking to them before they give you stuff, but it's a nice little bonus.

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Nov 2, 2014

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Also note that you download the DLC via a menu on the start screen of the actual game, and not via the e-shop. e: It still goes through the e-shop, vis-a-vis funding, but there isn't a link on the actual e-shop for it, as far as I know.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

You know what? Sometimes I'd like that butterfly to shut up for once. I WANT to go to one of Andy's parties. "Oh, we don't need a huge feast." SHUT UP YES WE DO.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

I really don't like greatswords as a weapon, but I'm ranking up Mercenary so I can recruit that Plushling with the big sword on his back, and maybe also that guy Gustav, I think, who hangs out by the camp near the entrance to Mt. Snowpeak. I also want to adventure with the Plushling wizard in Port Puerto (I really just want his hat).

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Travis343 posted:

Well we confirmed the other day that for boss monsters, if you get the Bounty as whatever class, and then switch to the relevant class before you hand it in, it still counts. I think my girlfriend found a rare fish while she was out as a mercenary? I don't remember the specifics, but she drug the bounty back to town, switched classes, and it counted for the challenge. So there's that, at least.

Turning in the fish to Lionel Lippes for a print also counts as turning in a bounty for the purposes of star challenges. I always like to get prints of my lordfish first.

One of the things I'm really liking about this game is the music. I can't remember a game recently that has had as many music tracks that I've liked. The file select screen, the indoor shop, which has a bit of a Final Fantasy Tactics Advance feel, Mount Snowpeak reminds me of 65 million B.C. in Chrono Trigger, and the high-level crafting music makes me think of the Ultros fight in FFVI at the opera.

More people are getting the game, or the DLC, it seems. I got a few more streetpasses. I've been giving away a Lava Pickaxe I got from a Lava Golem bounty. One of my new tags has superior corn on the cob. I can't wait! :3: Once I hit the monogram level of Carpentry I'll start giving away wands, bows, or fishing rods.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Does anyone know if there is a list to check who you have recruited as an ally. I think I'm up to 25 now, and I forget who some of them are. I know I can run up to people and press X to see if I can recruit them, but I'm wondering if that info is hidden away anywhere.

I've been taking Jude with me a lot lately, to the point where he has hearts coming out of his head. I just got Melusine and Elmie, and I may bring them along on more adventures.

I really should just finish the story... 80 hours in and I'm just wrapping up chapter 5. I've been mastering lives lately.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Cerepol posted:

Ya if they explained the spawning mechanics in game that would be loving amazing. Currently I'm held up by my not having smashed 500 rocks on my path to God-Miner.

There's a book in the Al Maajik library that basically exlains spawns by saying you need to sleep to get spawns to come back, but it's all "mysterious" because it has to explain game mechanics in-universe.

When it comes to Cooking, does adding the extra ingredients just give you a better chance at a superior product, or does the item with the extra have better buffs/restorative qualities? Does anyone know? I put ginger in a barley juice once and it said it "improved the flavor" but I couldn't see what that actually DID. That was the only time it ever worked. With tools and weapons at least the mods are explained and visible.

Onean posted:

The only way I can think of aside from checking each individual person is to go through the Bliss you've completed, which you can check under the rewards on the Bliss screen in your menu. The majority of the people you can recruit are tied to Bliss checks of some kind, even tangentially like certain life milestones.

This is a good idea. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

As I was gearing up for the Creator Mercenary challenge, I took Cervantes and Miguel with me to the Trial of Darkness. That was a lot of fun, just three Swordbros kicking rear end up and down the tower. It was crap for bounties, though. I got to the Shadow Dragon and dropped my bounties down near the teleporter and went to town. Halfway through the battle I notice one of the whelps got loose and had destroyed all my bounties!

Oh well.

Flush with success from the Tower, the three Blademigos headed to the desert to "play with" the Lord of the Cursed, who proceeded to kick our poo poo in until I ran out of Life Cures and we had to head home.

I haven't spent a lot of time maxing out Lives yet. I'm Creator in Paladin, Mercenary, Hunter, Carpenter, and Woodcutter. I spent most of my time as a Hunter or bow user on the way up to the end of the game, only dabbling in swords here and there, so my Greatsword Skill hit level 12 (!) as I was up in the tower and I was able to equip the Odin's Sword I got from a Lunares Coin. Handy!

The DLC content has been so much fun so far.

• Locked thread