Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
After reading the OP I have a question : how are you supposed to play the game?
Initially I thought you were supposed to frequently switch jobs but the attributes seem to discourage that.
So should you pick a job (or a set of related jobs) and stick with it, only changing when absolutely necessary?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme

Genpei Turtle posted:

No, you definitely want to be switching jobs a lot. You'll still do OK in a job even if your stats aren't perfect--only the top-tier class quests will really require you to have ideal stats, and by then you'll have access to to the stat respec shop.

Ok, thanks.
Though that leads me to another question:

How do you progress in the story?
Since e.g. not every job is combat-capable, do you need to switch jobs to fulfill the necessary tasks or are these independent of the job gameplay (talking to NPCs, witnessing events etc.)?

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
Regarding Origin island, do you need buy it right away or is it something you can only access after you're done with the story?

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
Got the game yesterday and I'm really liking the art style and large world.
I started as an alchemist and had fun gathering stuff and making different potions.
I also liked the combat; it's simple but the lock-on mechanism really helps making it fun to control.
One thing I find annoying however is that you apparently need to switch to the relevant jobs at least once before you can e.g. chop down trees or mine ore, so you have to leave the gathering spots without doing anything.

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme

Genpei Turtle posted:

Hah, so much for the idea that the DLC was "only" Origin Island--it is the entire Link! expansion after all.

:argh:
Guess I'll buy it right now after all.

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
Is there any reason to hold onto outdated equipment?
My bag is almost full and I want to clean it out, so I want to know if I should sell stuff or put it in storage.

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
Are you supposed to ignore the boss monsters and come back later?
I'm currently an adept magician and to advance it seems I need to beat a wraith but I barely do any damage.

Or maybe I'm missing a challenge I could do instead?
Is there a list somewhere?

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme

Becklespinax posted:

Regarding the DLC - is it worth getting it straight away or is it mostly late-game content? £7 for DLC is a bit steep right now for me, especially as you can't multiplayer up with people who don't have the DLC, you have to either both have it or both not have it.

Most of it is post-game but it also includes stuff like cosmetic options and bird pets so you might want to buy it before starting your game.

What influences the drop rate of gems and elder wood when mining/logging?
I currently need to gather rubies but they drop really rarely.
Do I need to boost my luck some more before I continue?

Also, I've got a mission to mine a wingstone but I can't even damage it.
Do I need more strength/better equipment?

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
I just got a bliss bonus called mystery fairy and I can't find it in the world.
Apparently there is supposed to be a new merchant beneath a pink tree in the first area but I ran around, even cutting down all trees just to be sure, and found nothing.
What am I missing here?
Also, what does the merchant sell?

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme

Fast Track posted:

Go south-east from the hairdresser and her plant that dyes stuff along the elevated section of land until you get to a really flowery area. The tree is in the centre. I think the merchant sells rare flowers or something along those lines.

Thanks, turns out I looked in the wrong area.
She sells all flowers, some crafting crystals and accessories like glasses.

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
I have only gotten a few (Carpenter, Paladin, Mercenary and Hunter) but I so far like the Mercenary one the best.
It switches between a very sad, lamenting part and a very upbeat part with crazy lyrics, basically 'oh woe is me' and 'just kidding!'.

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
Finally got to god rank with my first class, which is paladin.
Now I have a quest to fight the ancient napdragon but at level 71 it is basically killing me and my allies in one hit, so that's not going to happen.
Does anyone have some advice on what I should do to improve my chances?
I figure I'll grind my way to level 90-100 and try again (I already got the 2xXP shoes using lunares coins) but maybe there's something else?

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
Now that I'm pretty much in the endgame, I want to ask what kind of equipment you're using.
Which is better, the lunares coin stuff or the things you forge yourself?

Also, what companions do you take along?
My party currently consists of Ophelia as melee tank and Jinx as ranged attacker; before unlocking Jinx I used Yuella as ranged and occasional healer.

Finally, what combat style do you prefer?
I think I like sword and shield the most since it is a good mix between defense and offense.
I initially wanted to use magic but the need to level up so many different skills and sp dependence mean it's just not very good.

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
Ophelia is the queen and Jinx is the cat you mentioned.
Who is Stella?

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme

Genpei Turtle posted:

I wonder if they rewrote those songs from scratch--I don't remember Woodcutter having much of a beat. Doing the master songs was probably one of the toughest parts of the game to localize.

I'm partial to the Tailor song, but that's mostly because the singer has a really nice voice, so that's not going to be the same.

I don't think they have since the songs are still in Japanese, just with subtitles.

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
I used the ones recommended here: http://wikiwiki.jp/fantasylife/?%B9%B6%CE%AC%BE%F0%CA%F3
Warning, the site is in Japanese, so you have to rely on Google Translate.
If you're not sure where to find the materials, this Google Spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Aj0RtE0MMwctxt7xicKtFnr3FFlNHJ3Rvm6lsBNK2AA/edit#gid=359053928 isn't bad.

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
I'm currently completing my God ranks and I'm really burning out on the crafting :sigh:.
Having to do the same minigame over and over again is getting really annoying.

I've done pretty much everything else, so it's not like I can go do another task; I even did two of the God quests (with copious amounts of potions).
Are there any tips on how to make this less tedious?

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
Yeah, ok, I think I'm done.
I've put 135 hours into the game and done everything except get the two last god ranks (alchemist up to god-in-training, carpenter only up to master).
Overall I really enjoyed my time with it and I definitely recommend it.

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme

Leofish posted:

What would you say were your favourite and least favourite parts of the game? Spoiler-free, of course.

My favorite is definitely the quest system, which always gives you something to do; it also ensures that you experience the sheer amount of content included in the game instead of just running through it to complete the story.

My least favorite thing is a tossup between the end-game bosses - even with proper equipment it's just a tedious routine of dodging/enduring bullshit attacks and whittling them down - and the lack of variety in the crafting minigame.
After a while it just gets old, especially because they don't change it up, just make it longer.
If you're planning to go all the way to God rank in every job, I'd recommend following Genpei Turtle's advice and do the crafting in short intervals between other activities.

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme

bubblelubble posted:

Hate to double-post, but anyone know how to get into the Dark Void/open the portal in Cave of Shadows? I did it once, but I can't for the Life of me (hurr hurr) remember how I did it.
You need to be level 40 and have finished the story, you should then get a mail about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme

JavaJesus posted:

I just started my new Life as a miner last night, and I went exploring in the first cave area. After mining a big crystal I now effectively have a pet bag of sulfur following me around, and I don't see anything in the tutorials telling me how to actually do anything with it. Is there someone specific I need to bring it to, or some action I haven't noticed I can do with it or something?

That's a bounty. Take it to a bounty clerk and you'll get a reward.
You can find them in the guild office or on the map denoted by steering wheel.

• Locked thread