Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I am really excited for this game, and I can't really describe why. It's a bit worrying to me that all the crafting mini-games are rhythm-based, though. I suck hardcore at anything rhythm related. I hope I'll be able to get by. :ohdear: (Seriously I have no sense of rhythm whatsoever.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Leofish posted:

The developer Level-5 had a hand in both DQIX and Fantasy Life, so it's no coincidence. DQIX was also my favourite DS game, and I sunk hundreds of hours into that game, between two different run-throughs. There are still some treasure maps and bosses I never got to see, but I enjoyed just leveling up and maxing out different class skills.

They brought in some heavy-hitters on the creative for Fantasy Life as well: Final Fantasy alumni Nobuo Uematsu and Yoshitaka Amano are responsible for the music and art direction, respectively.

Of course, if you're unfamiliar with Final Fantasy maybe that won't mean much to you, personally, but Uematsu's work is among the best video game music, in my opinion. Amano's style is a bit esoteric, but his Fantasy Life stuff isn't quite as wispy as his Final Fantasy artwork.
What?! gently caress, they got Uematsu and Amano working on this thing?! And the opening cinematic for the game is very Studio Ghibli looking. Don't tell me anyone from Ghibli is also working on the game...

gently caress. I have been super hyped for this game since E3 and it doesn't come out here for another loving month. It is so not fair!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Leofish posted:

I just want to say I enjoy the juxtaposition of the two phrases "I've never really understood what the hubbub about Uematsu is anyway" and "it just got lost in the deluge of Theatrythm posts." :v:

I believe a great deal of Uematsu-love comes from people who grew up playing Final Fantasy, so there's definitely a nostalgia quality there, but he was able to produce some really memorable work, especially in the 8- and 16-bit eras.

Eh, for me personally I don't know if it's so much growing up with it. I didn't get into Final Fantasy until 7, and I wasn't the only one who loved the music in that game. My dad would hook up the surround sound when I played it just so he could listen to the music. He got me the sound track for Christmas.

quote:

I can't see any evidence of Studio Ghibli being involved, but Level-5 has worked alongside them in the past, so I wouldn't be surprised if maybe someone had a hand in it. It's funny you mention the opening cinematic, because the music there reminded me more of Dragon Quest's Sugiyama than Uematsu, except for that phrase just as the kid with the goggles opens the window, which has a very FFVI feel. That could just be that the opening is a lot like the Dragon Quest IX opening.

It just reminded me of Ghibli's stuff, especially the weird looking flying machines.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Woo, my download is finished! :woop:

Before I start, is there an easy way to take screenshots from within the game, or do you have to do the Miiverse thing?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Finally I can play this game!

Haven't done much besides make my character. I was pleased to see that there were voice options that didn't make me sound like a 12-year-old anime girl. Like, 3. Three whole non-high-pitched options! Better than nothing!

Also some assholes stole my candy and I didn't even try to burn them to a crisp! Some wizard I am. :mad:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea I know objectively there are smarter things to do with it but after a couple good logical bag upgrades and maybe a shop bonus I'm totally getting that dragon, I play this game for cute first and god drat it I WILL have an adorable dragon in my house :argh:

My first Bliss upgrade I unlocked pets, and then promptly got a kitty.

A black kitty, the perfect companion for a wizard. I named him Sam, after a cat I had when I was a kid, and we go adventuring together. He looks so cute following me around. :3:

No regrets!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Nuebot posted:

So how exactly do you wizard? I really like playing it, but I always run out of SP super fast then sit around trying not to get my poo poo stomped in by mushrooms. Is there any way to raise your SP? Or am I just being bad at wizard?

According to the OP, you just chug stamina potions like a junkie.

It would be a good idea to at least dabble in Alchemist so you can make your own.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Where do you get Poison Powder? I've had a quest for ages to bring the shady dude Poison Powder and I haven't been able to find it anywhere and it's not on my Alchemy crafting list either. (Adept Alchemist.)

Also those Fir trees and Platinum ore on Mount Snowpeak continue to taunt me. Taunt me, I say!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Dude, seriously. You know that you can just take a screenshot by pressing Start, right?

And that said screenshot won't be loving gigantic or look like rear end?!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

TheRevolution1 posted:

Sorry man. Don't have my laptop right now so I can't take images from the SD card and I can't tell the image looks giant from the awful app.

Try this. It's great. Make an account on your computer and log into it from your 3DS web browser. You can upload images directly from there.

Then you can grab your image by logging into your account on whatever device and doing the ol' copy-paste.

You can even make different folders for different games. I have over 300 images from Animal Crossing in mine. It's great.

How Ingratiating! posted:

I'm getting to Hero rank on Carpenter and Blacksmith, just so I can get the bonuses from the special outfits to make better stuff. 67 hours in. This game is a vortex. :(

EDIT: To be less Fantasy Life-journal, here's what all the appliques for Tailoring do.

Since I couldn't find any comprehensive posts about applique effects in this thread.

Thank you for this! This is amazing and timely. I just got the ability to put Appliqués on last night, and I was shocked that the game doesn't tell you what the effect is before you make it.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Wildtortilla posted:

I just bought this and I'm confused about the Origin Island DLC. The OP says it's post-game stuff, but I've read else where it comes with some stuff that makes the game better from the beginning. Should I buy it from the onset?

In addition to what the guy above me said, you can only do multiplayer with people with the DLC if you also have the DLC.

I think also NPCs gaining affinity and levelling up is a DLC thing. You might as well just get it now if you plan to do post-game stuff.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I just god Creator-ranked my first Life!

Creator Wizard, yeah! :toot: Two words: gently caress Wraiths!

Now I guess I'll have to go and level a different combat class! (Wizard is the only combat class I bothered levelling through the whole game.) I have all my other Lives to at least Hero except Blacksmith, but I forget why.

Now I'm staring at all the stuff I can get with Lunares coins and I just don't know where to start! ... Other than the respec-for-free mirror. I'm getting that.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I have two questions!

First, I got god-rank Wizard awhile ago, but I don't have the option of inviting Wizard kitty to my party. Do I have to do her special request before I can travel around with her and watch her nuke everything?

Second, I am going crazy trying to complete this last Hunter challenge to rank up to Legend. I have to kill a Queen Moth in the Ancient Ruins and I can't find one. I swear I've found her before, but I forget where she was and I can't find her again. Where is the Queen Moth? I have been over every square inch of that place with no sign of her.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

g0lbez posted:

She'll offer to join you as soon as you accept her special request, you don't have to complete it before she offers to join. Same with any other master.

Moth Queen is a random spawn in the Ancient Ruins that will replace a spawn point for a Flame Moth. If you see three Flame Moths without finding the Moth Queen then go sleep somewhere and come back.

Cool, thanks to you I am now rocking a magical kitty of my very own! (Plus Odin for Team Back in Black, as I have come to call them.)

Now on the hunt for a Queen Moth!

EDIT: Found her! That was easy.

Silver Falcon fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Nov 20, 2014

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

ohjoshdarnit posted:

I'm only a short while into the game and the fact that you can destroy your own bounties is my only gripe with it. I've mis-clicked and ruined a few.

I spent a good 10 minutes killing a super-powerful monster with a super rare bounty. Finished him off with the first hit of the Wizard's special attack.

Second hit destroyed the bounty. Motherfucker!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Well, I did it. I god-ranked all the jobs and maxed out my candy boosts! :toot:

(Went with 20 points to all stats but luck. Figure I can adjust luck as I like.)

Well... now what?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

You can be more fabulous than this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Violet_Sky posted:

FL1 chat: Will the Napdragon come back if I kill it? It looks so snoozy and cute. :ohdear:

I honestly don't mind mobile games as long as they are done well. (not All the Bravest) But this is just sad.

Yep, like any unique monster, it'll come back after you sleep.

• Locked thread