Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Vargs posted:

no vanilla healer would ever click on a rogue, accident or no

The only person who ever healed me in all those years was my best friend, this is true

edit: QUIT DURING LICH KING I'M NOT GAY MUCH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Mega
Nov 26, 2005
my max level was ~30 so i'm pretty straight. bi at least

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Don Mega posted:

my max level was ~30 so i'm pretty straight. bi at least

im afraid the gay seeps in the moment you approve the subscription

ColdReaches
Oct 12, 2013

Place : Detroit
Date : 4031 A.D.

Vargs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_kl7TArOwc

king salmon
Oct 30, 2011

by Cowcaster
man, the heals in this thread

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

king salmon posted:

man, the heals in this thread

*puts on sexy nelf outfit* u wanna get healed bb?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

How did you even manage to get the game files and everything working? Aren't all the scripts held by blizzard?

Without going too much into :files:, there's already been massive truckloads of work by other people to get their own servers up and running. Including reaching out to former blizzard devs who then told them what to do. Essentaily you're setting up a server in the same way Blizzard sets up their own internal testing servers.

You just simply follow their guides and stuff. It's getting to the point where Warlords of Draenor is already up on private servers and people have already blazed through all of the content within a week or so. If you remove gating and mindless grinding you maybe only have like a 10-15 hour game including the leveling.

90 dollar game btw, and it has much less content than all the previous other expansions. WOTLK still has the most 5 mans at launch.Also they topped how bad the StarCraft 2 story was with warlords. Nothing makes any sense, it's even worse than Vanilla Diablo 3's story.

Like at least the WOTLK story had some suspension of disbelief, but this is all pretty much garbage. Now cataclym's story was iffy because all the raids sucked and the only real payoff was fighting Deathwing with the other bosses being poo poo garbage(with maybe resurrected nef and Ony being somewhat cool). And Pandaria had mediocre raid bosses that made no sense to why the existed or reasons, but Warlords is just a mess. The Panda people themselves I did not have a problem with though, they were really well designed compared to the TBC and Cataclysm races.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Sep 23, 2014

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

i miss city of heroes :sigh:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

bunky posted:

i miss city of heroes :sigh:

NCsoft might release the files which would then make it possible to have your own LAN servers set up.

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

Vargs posted:

never clicked on because healbot did all the work

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
is a dps warrior pulling aggro and wiping the raid? Not real vanilla then.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The Taint Reaper posted:

Without going too much into :files:, there's already been massive truckloads of work by other people to get their own servers up and running. Including reaching out to former blizzard devs who then told them what to do. Essentaily you're setting up a server in the same way Blizzard sets up their own internal testing servers.

You just simply follow their guides and stuff. It's getting to the point where Warlords of Draenor is already up on private servers and people have already blazed through all of the content within a week or so. If you remove gating and mindless grinding you maybe only have like a 10-15 hour game including the leveling.

90 dollar game btw, and it has much less content than all the previous other expansions. WOTLK still has the most 5 mans at launch.Also they topped how bad the StarCraft 2 story was with warlords. Nothing makes any sense, it's even worse than Vanilla Diablo 3's story.

Like at least the WOTLK story had some suspension of disbelief, but this is all pretty much garbage. Now cataclym's story was iffy because all the raids sucked and the only real payoff was fighting Deathwing with the other bosses being poo poo garbage(with maybe resurrected nef and Ony being somewhat cool). And Pandaria had mediocre raid bosses that made no sense to why the existed or reasons, but Warlords is just a mess. The Panda people themselves I did not have a problem with though, they were really well designed compared to the TBC and Cataclysm races.

cataclysm and draenor seem like reworked old content. Cataclysm was mostly a world update so that the aging vanilla content didn't hold back the game. I don't know if everything got reworked, but levelling characters up pre-cata could be a pretty dire and terrible experience compared to what comes later.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
in vanilla wow everyone had to face reality. oh youre a druid? you have a tank and damage form? yeah tough crap you are a healer. and you gotta innervate priests instead of yourself because they are objectively better than you. your job is to bring motw and innervate and be a second rate healer. wear cloth, bitch. know your role and shut up

then in BC everything got all hippy and free form and everyone could do everything. priest tank? why not

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Kyrie eleison posted:

in vanilla wow everyone had to face reality. oh youre a druid? you have a tank and damage form? yeah tough crap you are a healer. and you gotta innervate priests instead of yourself because they are objectively better than you. your job is to bring motw and innervate and be a second rate healer. wear cloth, bitch. know your role and shut up

then in BC everything got all hippy and free form and everyone could do everything. priest tank? why not

i really enjoyed the warlock tank gimmick you could do on some raids, but it's regrettable that druids just get to be loving awesome at everything, it's three goddamn classes in one and that's stupid horseshit.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

hemophilia posted:

i really enjoyed the warlock tank gimmick you could do on some raids, but it's regrettable that druids just get to be loving awesome at everything, it's three goddamn classes in one and that's stupid horseshit.

four classes in one really, since we have both a melee and ranged damage form. druid life :cool:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

hemophilia posted:

cataclysm and draenor seem like reworked old content. Cataclysm was mostly a world update so that the aging vanilla content didn't hold back the game. I don't know if everything got reworked, but levelling characters up pre-cata could be a pretty dire and terrible experience compared to what comes later.

Cataclysm ruined the aesthetics to really good vanilla zones. Like Stormwind and it's immediate areas were fine. But the Update made the castle have a big inconvenient crater, there's some sort of magic tornado somewhere in the fields, badlands has a big crater than you have to traverse around and it really serves nothing of importance other than a single small quest. Also that massive Barrens gash ruined the barrens and Thousand Peaks's was cool with the salt flats but now is a pain to navigate first time through on the ground.

I mostly hung out in Ungoro, Silithus, and Feralas anyways since I always liked those zones. Those seem fine even after cataclysm, despite the whole destroyed night elf area which is kinda hidden away and is still looking like poo poo.

Draenor is not really reworked content, but poo poo doesn't feel like it had a ton of effort put into it like TBC was. It feels like Diet Coke TBC despite being newer. There's still no good level layouts like TBC Hellfire and Shattrath or even Nagrand. It just feels like a really weak imitation.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Sep 23, 2014

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

So did they just pave over all the blown up poo poo from cataclysm by now or what

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Dely Apple posted:

So did they just pave over all the blown up poo poo from cataclysm by now or what

It's still there. Over a year with no new updates to Pandaria and all the cataclysm poo poo is there.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
i guess azeroth is bad at cleaning poo poo up

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Kyrie eleison posted:

i guess azeroth is bad at cleaning poo poo up

You should see the code to the game. You wanna talk about cleaning up....it's a real mess.

But Footman Frenzy should be possible eventually.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The best thing is that silithus is still entirely unchanged as an entire zone intended to inspire all the worst possible feelings a game could muster from you. Like, the worst vanilla zone in the game doesn't get a loving thing done to it since the patch where they gave it those terrible world pvp objectives.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

hemophilia posted:

The best thing is that silithus is still entirely unchanged as an entire zone intended to inspire all the worst possible feelings a game could muster from you. Like, the worst vanilla zone in the game doesn't get a loving thing done to it since the patch where they gave it those terrible world pvp objectives.

I like the zone it's like something out of Metroid, Stargate, or Starship troopers. And endless ancient sea of rocks and sand with brightly colored bugs and cool temples.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

I remember farming silithus because it was like being on the moon, complete with bizarre alien concepts like those wind stones and moon dust harvest points for a pointless world pvp objective only good on the moon.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Silithus owns because AQ owns

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
i have a soft spot for shimmering flats

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
same for westfall

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The Taint Reaper posted:

I like the zone it's like something out of Metroid, Stargate, or Starship troopers. And endless ancient sea of rocks and sand with brightly colored bugs and cool temples.

Visually it's really cool but there's no reason to go there to level up or do much of anything since you're gated into TBC content that's better for you

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

so did this guy beat bwl or what? did nem drop?? I can finally get closure

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Kyrie eleison posted:

i have a soft spot for shimmering flats

Which doesn't exist anymore.

Not gonna lie playing on a private server kills whatever desire you have to play WoW on the live servers.

All the bullshit is gone and your friends can connect when they want and poo poo can scale to your whim.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Sep 23, 2014

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

concerned mom posted:

Silithus owns because AQ owns

never actually raided aq, it was terrible

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

The Taint Reaper posted:

Which doesn't exist anymore.

i know, so sad :(

heres another cool thing about being a druid in vanilla, i was encouraged by my druid mentor to level as resto. this meant when i soloed it took forever. i became very social as a result, i'd team up with other people to do quests, and did pubby instances over and over and over until i had a nice friends list. people would whisper me to do instances. actually was a lot of fun

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Problem with druid is ok youre like every class in one but you never get to see your cool armour n stuff you just look like a fat turkey with a wobbly butt or a personality-devoid bear

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

hemophilia posted:

Im the druid who would always take someones position in the raid if they were more than a minute late no matter what the role was

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Whatever you think of WoW for what it was in the past it is much better in the now.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

uh oh this thread looks like its gonna wipe...*hellfires self, gets no dur dam, leans back in kmart chair and pulls on a fat fuckin blunt over vent*

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

concerned mom posted:

Problem with druid is ok youre like every class in one but you never get to see your cool armour n stuff you just look like a fat turkey with a wobbly butt or a personality-devoid bear

this is vanilla so you only used your forms for novelty or utility purposes pretty much because you could not actually seriously tank or do damage as a druid then

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Anime Device posted:

Whatever you think of WoW for what it was in the past it is much better in the now.

I would say this would be true for pre WOTLK, but post WOTLK nah. poo poo really went downhill in every department after Cataclysm. like yeah there's some quality enchancements but the overall game needing an endgame still is pretty bad and always having to smash into a wall. Grinding has gotten worse, not better.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
i got a scarab lord

in 2009 :cawg:

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
but in BC being a druid was the best thing ever. not only could you play every class but you were the best healer in the game. i stayed resto. it was so insanely loving powerful. i switched to pvp and any pubby game i joined i had a massive chance of changing the outcome. i probably won 70% of games i played just because i was a pvp geared resto druid healing people. resto druid was so goddam insanely powerful in BC. possibly the most overpowered any class has ever been. it was impossible to kill us

but we had a special role in warsong gulch. we could capture flags like nobodys business. we could stealth in, we could cap the flag and sprint, grab the boots. then travel form when that ran out. then when guys caught up with us (maybe only half the time) we could go bear and stun them, or just heal ourselves infinitely because our heals were so powerful, a combination of those. i regularly 3-capped games in just a few minutes. drat it was good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Last/coolest thing I got was that arcanite reaper guitar that made you rock out and I would spam it over and over until people just turned off sound

RIP that guitar

• Locked thread