Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
The most fun I had in the game was playing with a buddy from Korea and helping him grind to the Grand Marshal title pre-battlegrounds. He was a warrior and I was a paladin, and for a long time that combination was pretty unstoppable if you were both good at playing the class. We could take on like 6 opponents at times and still come out winners. Blessing of Freedom and Cleanse spam ftw. Not gay.

Demon Of The Fall fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Sep 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Quote is not edit.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Anime Device posted:

Whatever you think of WoW for what it was in the past it is much better in the now.

old wow had significant problems but new wow completely misses the point of being an mmo and may as well be a lovely lobby game. sit in town and be instantly teleported into some dungeon or raid full of people that you have never seen before, will never see again, and probably hate so that you can sleepwalk through mindlessly easy content. also people will only ever talk to one another when they feel like throwing around insults, which they can and will do all the time since its not as though having a bad reputation matters anymore. where even is this instance in the world? what context do i have for being here? nobody knows, shut up and watch your numbers go up

i really hate modern wow's combat as well. you have to set up a billion different modded timers and gaudy popups and poo poo just to do a dps "rotation" that's equally routine and boring as anything in the old days once you get used to it, except now you get carpal tunnel and your UI is monstrous in a way that used to be reserved only for raid healers. hope you enjoy finding hotkeys for 100 different abilities, many of which are redundant and/or don't do anything interesting

world pvp has also been dead for ages, which was the only entertaining form of pvp in wow. if i wanted to play instanced, round-based matches, i'd go boot up tf2 or something that is actually remotely good

i mean there are some positive things too, but all these issues completely kill my interest in the game

Squidbeak
Jul 24, 2007

Com Truise

Ramsus posted:

is a dps warrior pulling aggro and wiping the raid? Not real vanilla then.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
i didnt play wotlk for very long but i played cataclysm for a few hours, i started a new druid. i was super impressed by how they'd improved the mechanics of playing a balance druid. it was fun enough it almost made me continue, but not enough. so i ultimately never explored cataclysm zones

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Remember wheb you had 600 abilities and it was like that blackhawk simulator but it was chaotically fun? They got rid of all that and every class now presses 5 buttons in succession. it's a lot simpler and more streamlined but has lost its charm.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Ferroque posted:

never actually raided aq, it was terrible

The best part was being in a top raid guild when it was released and pushing to open the gate as fast as possible. We gotta go kill this crazy-rear end world boss? Alright, everyone call in every favor you know so that we can get a server-crashing amount of people together to annihilate the guy. We gotta clear BWL in an hour? Get on your horses motherfuckers, it's time to :black101:

Then after all that effort you get into the temple and discover that it's poo poo. Just dogshit on every level.

But the scramble for the gate was kind of fun, I'll give them that.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
aq40 had a few really good fights (c'thun, twin emps, maybe ouro), but other than that it suuuucked

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Doctor Spaceman posted:

aq40 had a few really good fights (c'thun, twin emps, maybe ouro), but other than that it suuuucked

C'thun was like getting sodomized with a wrench pre-nerf.

That might have colored how I remember the rest of the dungeon because I barely remember twin emps and ouro not at all.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I think the system they have for getting into raids/pvp with just a few clicks of a button is good, but the fact that you often end up playing with people from other servers than your own really fucks up the community aspect of the game.

Before the system I'd recognize a lot of names I PvE'd with outside of a guild and even get recognizable rivals in PvP but after the system was implemented I basically never recognized anyone in those situations again

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
My server was so unbalanced that us alliance fags had to literally wait about an hour for a BG queue to pop up if we wanted to pvp. Lord help you if you missed it while taking a poo poo or making a sandwich or something. Horde side was instantaneous so they would all leave when they saw a team they didn't like, welp! Time to wait around another hour. I would have killed for cross-server BGs like they have now, considering how it used to be.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

How did the raid go last night, OP? You get Nef?

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Demon Of The Fall posted:

My server was so unbalanced that us alliance fags had to literally wait about an hour for a BG queue to pop up if we wanted to pvp. Lord help you if you missed it while taking a poo poo or making a sandwich or something. Horde side was instantaneous so they would all leave when they saw a team they didn't like, welp! Time to wait around another hour. I would have killed for cross-server BGs like they have now, considering how it used to be.

i played on alliance against a server dominated by horde goons. instant queues while they all whined

in the end they eradicated all trace of alliance from my server though *sigh*

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can you still use sick nasty auto rotation macros in vanilla?

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Fauxtool posted:

Can you still use sick nasty auto rotation macros in vanilla?

in vanilla you did not need rotations you only had to spam one button over and over

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
Anyone remember the rogues getting mad because of insta kill freeze trap + aimed shot crit?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

old mmos were better than the current crop. they may be a lot less intuitive and ugly and buggy but they provide genuine depth where modern ones are just find man with exclamation mark -> go to waypoint -> kill easy thing -> rinse, repeat. i prefer the unconcealed grind of older games that at least had community building elements and stuff

i've been playing on the Star Wars Galaxies pre-cu emulator as a Mon Calamari and it's loving ridiculously old and the systems are opaque and the graphics suck but it's rad as heck and you feel like you're actually building a character and doing interesting things your own way as opposed to following a boring set path to the endgame, which is also, itself, a set path of raids (i like raiding though)

i wish mmos still gave you autonomy and choice and made you feel like part of the world rather than just a visitor

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
eq was rad as hell when i was 14 and it felt like there were real consequences to my gently caress ups

then i grew up and realized video games have no real consequences :(

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

Fandyien posted:

old mmos were better than the current crop. they may be a lot less intuitive and ugly and buggy but they provide genuine depth where modern ones are just find man with exclamation mark -> go to waypoint -> kill easy thing -> rinse, repeat. i prefer the unconcealed grind of older games that at least had community building elements and stuff

i've been playing on the Star Wars Galaxies pre-cu emulator as a Mon Calamari and it's loving ridiculously old and the systems are opaque and the graphics suck but it's rad as heck and you feel like you're actually building a character and doing interesting things your own way as opposed to following a boring set path to the endgame, which is also, itself, a set path of raids (i like raiding though)

i wish mmos still gave you autonomy and choice and made you feel like part of the world rather than just a visitor

this but ironically

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

did anyone else ever play EQOA? that was my first mmo besides runescape and it blew my mind. in retrospect it was a pretty awful game though

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
MMO's have always sucked and it's always just been the potential of the genre that kept me interested in them. Unfortunately it all seems to have just culminated in a big wet fart

logical phalluses
Mar 18, 2009

The living look upon the corpse with their eyesight,
But without eyesight lingers a different living and looks
curiously on the corpse.

Medieval Medic posted:

I still get nostalgia pangs about WoW, but then I realize I wasted so many years where I could have been hitting the gym and be like 10 times swoler.

lifting weights is exactly like WoW, it has all the same psychological rewards as killing bosses and getting purples except it has exactly the opposite effect to WoW with respect to making girls want to have sex with you.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Zzulu posted:

MMO's have always sucked and it's always just been the potential of the genre that kept me interested in them. Unfortunately it all seems to have just culminated in a big wet fart

untrue, MMOs are great for certain types of people, for example, drug addicts and the unemployed

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
you literally have to be some version of a child to really enjoy an mmo, it is your inner child that is crying out for "the perfect" realization of the genre and your actual adult that is like "no this is boring as gently caress" every time

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
I'm genuinely upset I missed this. Seeing 40 people cluster together getting through the suppression room, with stragglers lagging out and getting left behind, only to wipe at the boss and having to restart all over again. Good times. :allears:

Funkstar Deluxe
May 7, 2007

「☆☆☆」
feign death was the best ability

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
There's like three hours of footage on the twitch account.

Also we've been doing this stupid dungeon for like a year now and we don't really wipe any more. Though we did wipe on our first attempt at nef lmao I have no idea what was going on because 1. I'm dps and I don't care and 2. I was pretty drunk

I was on the shitter for the enitirety of our chromaggus kill but that's not very exciting anyways.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Fandyien posted:

untrue, MMOs are great for certain types of people, for example, drug addicts and the unemployed

They're a good outlet for those who have completely given up on life and will never know true happiness again.

Lansoc
Jan 3, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Oh the memories of my college nights. Battleing through mc,bwl,aq, and naxx. I should have been out partying but I was a loving nerd.

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

SHISHKABOB posted:

There's like three hours of footage on the twitch account.

Also we've been doing this stupid dungeon for like a year now and we don't really wipe any more. Though we did wipe on our first attempt at nef lmao I have no idea what was going on because 1. I'm dps and I don't care and 2. I was pretty drunk

I was on the shitter for the enitirety of our chromaggus kill but that's not very exciting anyways.

get everyone attuned to old naxx and then stream that for our enjoyment, tia.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i don't know how you wouldn't be naxx attuned, that was one of the easier attunements. Some bullshit quest in the plaguelands right? surely you'd do that as a matter of course if that patch is live.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

Tipps posted:

get everyone attuned to old naxx and then stream that for our enjoyment, tia.

Agreed. Old Naxx is the only dungeon in the entire game since launch I never got to step foot in or clear.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
If they made this game free to play I would go back to my resto/enhancement shaman in a heartbeat. I miss my female orc shaman and her powerful thighs+booty shake.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

Ramsus posted:

If they made this game free to play I would go back to my resto/enhancement shaman in a heartbeat. I miss my female orc shaman and her powerful thighs+booty shake.

Free max level characters with the purchase of the upcoming xpac. Also if you are a baby who can't afford $15 a month you should really get a loving job.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Ramsus posted:

im 99% sure that vanilla wow servers are free. obviously they have no monthly fee but im pretty sure you don't even need to legitimately own the game software

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

Windows 98 posted:

Agreed. Old Naxx is the only dungeon in the entire game since launch I never got to step foot in or clear.

I want to see 40 people do Heigan. :allears:

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

Fandyien posted:

im 99% sure that vanilla wow servers are free. obviously they have no monthly fee but im pretty sure you don't even need to legitimately own the game software

I don't think I can play my loathsome 8 level 80 characters I had since 2005-2010 on a vanilla wow server.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

Windows 98 posted:

Free max level characters with the purchase of the upcoming xpac. Also if you are a baby who can't afford $15 a month you should really get a loving job.

Why would I pay when I know I'd play for about an hour then quit.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Fandyien posted:

Vanilla is the easiest set of patches to get a hold of. TBC is pretty easy as well. The Game is technically free to play up to level 20, but every aspect of Vanilla is pretty much gone from the live servers, save for some legacy raids.

It's in a really weird state of if it counts or does not count as abandon ware because you can't even play the old content on live servers.

Windows 98 posted:

You can't have a job if you play warcraft and want to beat the actual game. That's the conundrum.

Only way really is to get SSI. It's still a ton of time commitment for a game that artificially extends the gameplay mechanics to insane levels.

WOD with all the non-leveling grinding removed is barely a 20 hour game. The Grinding and gating is what extends the game to the hudreds of hours mark. This also isn't counting the time spent organizing 19 other people so you can all beat a boss.

In the WOD files themselves you can tune all dungeon and raid bosses for 1-5 people on any difficulty, but this is not allowed on the live servers. You can pretty much 5 man all the content in the entire game if you chose to play on private servers and it would still provide sufficient challenge without any of the bullshit or guild drama.

Hell you can even raid the same place multiples times a day if you wanted.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Sep 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

i used to know a guy who would do all the old school raids, alone, every day, on four different characters

• Locked thread