Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Hey OP since you are playing on vanilla did you guys do the AQ opening event?

Played through Vanilla to Pandaria on my own private server with a bunch of friends. It removed any and all bullshit associated with MMos and we beat everything 100% in 60-70 hours. It was like playing a brighter colored multiplayer Morrowind. Procedural patching worked so things could be played from first patch to the latest. the 10 item quests or kill 10 things we fixed just by having one thing needed to be killed or collected. But going through all the zones and bosses with no grinding needed and able to reset raids at our whim made the game fun.

Everything did take a dump past WOTLK though, WoW is like the Simpsons where it's past it's prime but just stumbles onward.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Sep 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

nomadologique posted:

onyxia and molten core first clears back in the dawn of time were baller as gently caress gotta say

Play on private server increase size of Rag's hammer and Thunderfury to 10.

dual wield like a motherfucker hitting poo poo with skyscrapers.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

nomadologique posted:

i was a gnome tinkerer, you know drat well i used my shrink ray on that big ol fucker

gently caress that, you can create custom items now on private servers. Try a gender ray.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

How did you even manage to get the game files and everything working? Aren't all the scripts held by blizzard?

Without going too much into :files:, there's already been massive truckloads of work by other people to get their own servers up and running. Including reaching out to former blizzard devs who then told them what to do. Essentaily you're setting up a server in the same way Blizzard sets up their own internal testing servers.

You just simply follow their guides and stuff. It's getting to the point where Warlords of Draenor is already up on private servers and people have already blazed through all of the content within a week or so. If you remove gating and mindless grinding you maybe only have like a 10-15 hour game including the leveling.

90 dollar game btw, and it has much less content than all the previous other expansions. WOTLK still has the most 5 mans at launch.Also they topped how bad the StarCraft 2 story was with warlords. Nothing makes any sense, it's even worse than Vanilla Diablo 3's story.

Like at least the WOTLK story had some suspension of disbelief, but this is all pretty much garbage. Now cataclym's story was iffy because all the raids sucked and the only real payoff was fighting Deathwing with the other bosses being poo poo garbage(with maybe resurrected nef and Ony being somewhat cool). And Pandaria had mediocre raid bosses that made no sense to why the existed or reasons, but Warlords is just a mess. The Panda people themselves I did not have a problem with though, they were really well designed compared to the TBC and Cataclysm races.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Sep 23, 2014

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

bunky posted:

i miss city of heroes :sigh:

NCsoft might release the files which would then make it possible to have your own LAN servers set up.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

hemophilia posted:

cataclysm and draenor seem like reworked old content. Cataclysm was mostly a world update so that the aging vanilla content didn't hold back the game. I don't know if everything got reworked, but levelling characters up pre-cata could be a pretty dire and terrible experience compared to what comes later.

Cataclysm ruined the aesthetics to really good vanilla zones. Like Stormwind and it's immediate areas were fine. But the Update made the castle have a big inconvenient crater, there's some sort of magic tornado somewhere in the fields, badlands has a big crater than you have to traverse around and it really serves nothing of importance other than a single small quest. Also that massive Barrens gash ruined the barrens and Thousand Peaks's was cool with the salt flats but now is a pain to navigate first time through on the ground.

I mostly hung out in Ungoro, Silithus, and Feralas anyways since I always liked those zones. Those seem fine even after cataclysm, despite the whole destroyed night elf area which is kinda hidden away and is still looking like poo poo.

Draenor is not really reworked content, but poo poo doesn't feel like it had a ton of effort put into it like TBC was. It feels like Diet Coke TBC despite being newer. There's still no good level layouts like TBC Hellfire and Shattrath or even Nagrand. It just feels like a really weak imitation.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Sep 23, 2014

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Dely Apple posted:

So did they just pave over all the blown up poo poo from cataclysm by now or what

It's still there. Over a year with no new updates to Pandaria and all the cataclysm poo poo is there.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Kyrie eleison posted:

i guess azeroth is bad at cleaning poo poo up

You should see the code to the game. You wanna talk about cleaning up....it's a real mess.

But Footman Frenzy should be possible eventually.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

hemophilia posted:

The best thing is that silithus is still entirely unchanged as an entire zone intended to inspire all the worst possible feelings a game could muster from you. Like, the worst vanilla zone in the game doesn't get a loving thing done to it since the patch where they gave it those terrible world pvp objectives.

I like the zone it's like something out of Metroid, Stargate, or Starship troopers. And endless ancient sea of rocks and sand with brightly colored bugs and cool temples.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Kyrie eleison posted:

i have a soft spot for shimmering flats

Which doesn't exist anymore.

Not gonna lie playing on a private server kills whatever desire you have to play WoW on the live servers.

All the bullshit is gone and your friends can connect when they want and poo poo can scale to your whim.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Sep 23, 2014

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Anime Device posted:

Whatever you think of WoW for what it was in the past it is much better in the now.

I would say this would be true for pre WOTLK, but post WOTLK nah. poo poo really went downhill in every department after Cataclysm. like yeah there's some quality enchancements but the overall game needing an endgame still is pretty bad and always having to smash into a wall. Grinding has gotten worse, not better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Fandyien posted:

im 99% sure that vanilla wow servers are free. obviously they have no monthly fee but im pretty sure you don't even need to legitimately own the game software

Vanilla is the easiest set of patches to get a hold of. TBC is pretty easy as well. The Game is technically free to play up to level 20, but every aspect of Vanilla is pretty much gone from the live servers, save for some legacy raids.

It's in a really weird state of if it counts or does not count as abandon ware because you can't even play the old content on live servers.

Windows 98 posted:

Free max level characters with the purchase of the upcoming xpac. Also if you are a baby who can't afford $15 a month you should really get a loving job.

You can't have a job if you play warcraft and want to beat the actual game. That's the conundrum.

Only way really is to get SSI. It's still a ton of time commitment for a game that artificially extends the gameplay mechanics to insane levels.

WOD with all the non-leveling grinding removed is barely a 20 hour game. The Grinding and gating is what extends the game to the hudreds of hours mark. This also isn't counting the time spent organizing 19 other people so you can all beat a boss.

In the WOD files themselves you can tune all dungeon and raid bosses for 1-5 people on any difficulty, but this is not allowed on the live servers. You can pretty much 5 man all the content in the entire game if you chose to play on private servers and it would still provide sufficient challenge without any of the bullshit or guild drama.

Hell you can even raid the same place multiples times a day if you wanted.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Sep 23, 2014

• Locked thread