Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win season 25?
This poll is closed.
#SoulSurfers 8 15.09%
#TeamNashville 1 1.89%
#TheWrestlers 9 16.98%
#TheDatingCouple 1 1.89%
#TheCyclists 2 3.77%
#MiamiRealtors 1 1.89%
#MomDaughter 3 5.66%
#TheFirefighters 6 11.32%
#SweetScientists 9 16.98%
#CollegeSweethearts 5 9.43%
#TheDentists 8 15.09%
Total: 53 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?
The Amazing Race is back, now with less Poque! After a long run on Sundays, CBS has decided to move the show to Friday. Don't think of it as the death slot, think of it as NO MORE DELAYS. Set your DVRs or be on your sofa at 8pm. No more having to add the max allowed extra time to your DVR to make sure it records, no more rushing to get home by 8 only to have it start at 9:36, no more different regions starting at different times because of different football games. The show is renewed for at least one more season (it was renewed in March for two more seasons) so there's no speculation on if it's done for or not.

Poque has other friday things to tend to and decided to back out for this season. I know I'll be missing some episodes but we needed a thread. If anyone wants to try and do an E-Peen, please do!

This season has more "famous" people than we typically see. We've got pro wrestlers, Survivors, and a surfer nobody remembers for surfing. There's the usual couple of models and someone who graduated from the "Military's intelligence school." The Express Pass is gone and has been replaced by the Save. Like the express pass it is won by the team that comes in first on Leg 1. Instead of getting to skip a task, if the team comes in last at some point they can pull it out and save themselves. This would be killer in E-Peen.

If you haven't watched the show before, the premise is quite simple: teams of two race around the world, one "pit stop" to the next, completing tasks and deciphering clues along the way. First team to a pit stop in each episode wins a prize. Last team to a pit stop has a strong chance of being eliminated. Eventually, we get to our final three teams, who finish the race with a leg in the United States, and whoever wins that leg earns the coveted prize of $1,000,000. Expect a lot of laughs, a fair amount of drama, less crying than last season, and for the word 'amazing' to be thrown out way, way too much. Since season 18, this show has been broadcast in HD.

Season 25 begins on Friday, September 26 at 8/7c.
Season 25 filmed from May 31 to June 22, 2014.

Meet the cast with this video or check out the individual cast interviews linked in each team's name!

Adam Dirks & Bethany Hamilton

#SoulSurfers
Relationship: Married
Why they'll lose: She has one arm.
"What famous person reminds you of yourself? Anna Sophia Robb. She played me in the movie Soul Surfer chronicling my story."

Brooke Adams & Robbie E. Strauss

#TheWrestlers
Relationship: Dating
Why they'll lose: A Jersey hothead and a Texas hothead.
"Pet peeve about your teammate: Her mood swings. She is like two completely different people.
What do you hope to accomplish by running The Race (other than winning one million bucks)? I hope to gain Brooke’s trust back."

Dennis Hour & Isabelle Du

#TheDatingCouple. Seriously.
Relationship: ...Dating
Why they'll lose: Terrible communication and constant bickering. For the "what you want to accomplish" question, she wrote an entire paragraph about how she's a free spirit and Dennis holds her back.
"Favorite hobbies: Photography, cooking (I like to wing it in the kitchen and create my own flavors) and Isabelle Du."
"What famous person reminds you of your teammate? Ross Geller from “Friends.”"

Keith Tollefson & Whitney Duncan

#TeamNashville
Relationship: Engaged
Occupation: Energy advisor / Singer songwriter (everyone saw that coming, I hope).
Why they'll lose: They won't read the directions properly.
"What is the accomplishment you are most proud of? Finding Keith.
What country and place would you most like to visit and why? Thailand, New Zealand, Samoa (where we fell in love), and the Dominican Republic (where we were going to get married before we had to move the wedding to be on the Race)."

Kym Perfetto & Alli Forsythe

#TheCyclists
Relationship: Friends
Occupation: Personal Trainer / "Master Instructor for Soulcycle/Boss of YouTube channel: KymNonStop"
Why they'll lose: Getting lost thanks to Kym's constant backseat driving.
"Biggest challenge you and your teammate will face on The Race together: We will either become really close or nearly kill each other. Hopefully the first, because we’re moving to Los Angeles together."

Lisa Thomson & Michelle Thomson

#MiamiRealtors
Relationship: Sisters
Why they'll lose: Can't handle not being in control.
"What country and place would you most like to visit and why? Africa."
"Describe what you do: I sell the lifestyle of Miami. I work 24/7 with my sister. We are the #1 selling team in South East Florida for units sold. We work with all types of clients in all price ranges."

Maya Warren & Amy DeJong

#SweetScientists
Relationship: Friends
Why they'll lose: Spend too much time overthinking a task instead of doing it.
"What famous person reminds you of your teammate? Mayim Bialik, both on and off of “The Big Bang Theory.” Number one, Mayim (yes, we are on a first name basis) and Amy resemble each other and have many similar mannerisms and personality traits. Both are smart, goofy, curious, intelligent, driven and knowledgeable of random things."
(the teammate's answer)"What famous person reminds you of yourself? Leonard from “The Big Bang Theory” (obviously a female version and into food science, not physics)."

Michael Ward & Scott Strazzullo

#TheFirefighters
Relationship: Coworkers
Why they'll lose: Sightseeing instead of racing.
"What is the accomplishment you are most proud of? Fighting a fire inside a nuclear submarine in Maine and making it out.
What famous person reminds you of yourself? The Roman General Scipio Africanus."

Misti Raman & Jim Raman

#TheDentists
Relationship: Married
Occupation: Cosmetic dentist / Orthodontist. She was also Miss Galaxy 2013, whatever that means.
Why they'll lose: Stupid fights, being out of their comfort zone.
"What famous person reminds you of your teammate? Jenny McCarthy
What scares you most about traveling? Traveling to places where Misti may not be safe (she tends to stand out in a crowd)."

Shelley Porter & Nici Porter

#MomDaughter
Relationship: Mother. And daughter.
Why they'll lose: Daughter wants to be in charge, mother won't let her.
"What is the accomplishment you are most proud of? I’m extremely proud of raising children that 1, don’t receive therapy and 2, still actively seek out my company.
Pet peeve about your teammate: She likes to take pictures of her poop and text them to us (family)."
"What famous person reminds you of yourself? Angelica Pickles
What famous person reminds you of your teammate? Cruella de Vil"

Tim Tsao & Te Jay McGrath

#CollegeSweethearts
Relationship: Dating.
Why they'll lose: Te Jay decides to be a diva.
"Biggest challenge you and your teammate will face on The Race together: The Race can only better our relationship. Nothing bad can come from it.

Phil Keoghan, MNZM - Our Glorious Host

Eight-time Emmy winner, Kiwi, and awesome guy. Phil is a host that lives his life like he's on the show. He holds a bungee jumping world record, got married underwater, bicycled 3,500 miles across the USA while casting for the show, and probably done hundreds of other mind-blowing things we don't know about.

Previous Threads:
The Amazing Race 24
The Amazing Race 23
The Amazing Race 22
The Amazing Race 21
The Amazing Race 20
The Amazing Race 19
The Amazing Race 18
The Amazing Race 17
The Amazing Race 16
The Amazing Race 15
The Amazing Race 14

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

SteveVizsla posted:

#TheFirefighters
"What is the accomplishment you are most proud of? Fighting a fire inside a nuclear submarine in Maine and making it out.

I misread that as "making out" and got more excited about the Firefighters.

I think the move to Friday will be fine - after all, it won't have to compete with football now.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
This'll be so weird on a Friday and without Poque, but I'm looking forward to this season!

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Ghostpilot posted:

This'll be so weird on a Friday and without Poque, but I'm looking forward to this season!

I know right? I was looking forward to (hopefully) redeeming the horribleness that was my e-peen last season. I get that he can't do the thread, though. Sorry I'm not nearly as funny as him :(

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
I haven't compared with past seasons but this seems like it has a lot of two-woman teams.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

I think it's about average. We just don't remember most of them because they're usually some of the first ones out / not memorable at all.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

SteveVizsla posted:

I think it's about average. We just don't remember most of them because they're usually some of the first ones out / not memorable at all.

Aw, don't take it as a knock - it's a good op! :glomp:

Golbez posted:

I haven't compared with past seasons but this seems like it has a lot of two-woman teams.

Now that you mention it. I think there's usually two or so? This season we've four. Those teams aside, I predict some spectacular blowups out of Team TNA and the Dating Couple.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Ghostpilot posted:

Aw, don't take it as a knock - it's a good op! :glomp:

I was talking about two-woman teams but thanks :3: :3:

MrDingleDangle
Apr 15, 2005

The win of a lifetime, twice.
There seems to be a good mix of teams I will hate (my wife is so hot she will be in danger) , teams I will pretend to hate but really enjoy (bickering couple) and teams I will like

njbeachbum
Apr 14, 2005

First, Great OP! Thanks for doing it SteveVizsla. Second, as always I hate every single team and want them all to lose. I can't wait for this to start!

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

:siren: Hellooooooo friday night! :siren:

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

BTW the race started at 3am.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
It's on!

First team shown- The Guidos

njbeachbum
Apr 14, 2005

I am worried that I am finding the firefighters to be the least annoying...

njbeachbum
Apr 14, 2005

I have decided to call the surfer girl - "SHARKBAIT - OH AH AH!" is that wrong?

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

How does Te Jay's mother not believe he's gay.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
Please don't tell me the #TeamLabel is what they're going to do the entire season.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Andorra posted:

Please don't tell me the #TeamLabel is what they're going to do the entire season.

It is. It's better than what they're doing on Utopia, at least, where every player is always referred to by their stereotype/job during the narration. "Lawyer Mike disagreed with Prepper Bella over blah blah blah so Chef Aaron stepped in to mediate blah blah"

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Hahahahaha a Phil in the Wild sighting

njbeachbum
Apr 14, 2005

This seems like a hard roadblock to start with.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

"This looks like a bell but it's also an anchor"

Uh, what

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
I swear every season they attempt to find a group of people that are dumber than the last.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Oh poo poo, I lost track of time! And I tune into Dennis open-mouth clearing his throat.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

^^^ Your brain is still stuck thinking TAR = time delays!

Ugh

njbeachbum
Apr 14, 2005

There is something wrong with the dentists guys eyes. Creepy.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

I missed out on it: how does #TheSave work?

njbeachbum
Apr 14, 2005

Ghostpilot posted:

If they are ever in last place they can use it and keep racing.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Ghostpilot posted:

In the OP ;) If they come in last on a leg, they can pull it out and not be eliminated.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

njbeachbum posted:

There is something wrong with the dentists guys eyes. Creepy.

Having creepy eyes was the cost of perfect teeth.

How are these people not understanding how to use a compass even after he told them?

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Dude, you don't hold a compass facing you

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Adam may be the most enamored racer in recent memory. Women are absolutely :swoon:'ing for him. Not that I disagree, of course.

Shelley & Nici seem fun! I don't think they'll be around long, but I like 'em.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

I would like to point out that the bright yellow couple that can't read the compass or anything was on Survivor.

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013
I've done it 10 hundred times!

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

:gonk: Honey, the last thing you want to do with raw and blistered hands is shove them into sand.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
At this rate Phil will have to come out and eliminate all three teams so that he can get to the next country.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

The pirate laugh as the graphic illustrated that she was literally a foot away from the chest was great. :v:

Edit: If they all elect to take the penalty, do they have to wait it out or can they just go ahead and race to the end?

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Hahaha, the greeter had a :what: look when they finally showed up in the dead of night.

Edit: Geez Amazing Race, spoilers! :mad:

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Sep 27, 2014

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
Yes! They're punting next week, which means they'll do a flashback to Ken & Gerard!

fingerpaint
Jan 9, 2014
Can't say I'm sad to see the Real Estate agents go. It was a fun first leg with a rather poorly designed roadblock. What better way to start our 25th race but a needle in a haystack task!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

lol jews gonna get fucked.

fingerpaint posted:

Can't say I'm sad to see the Real Estate agents go. It was a fun first leg with a rather poorly designed roadblock. What better way to start our 25th race but a needle in a haystack task!

I disagree. There is knowledge required for the task. Its not just a random hole to dig. I liked it. Better than the easy crap we've been getting.

The only team I actively do not like(that's left) are the wrestlers. That woman is all doom and gloom the minute anything goes wrong.

• Locked thread