Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win season 25?
This poll is closed.
#SoulSurfers 8 15.09%
#TeamNashville 1 1.89%
#TheWrestlers 9 16.98%
#TheDatingCouple 1 1.89%
#TheCyclists 2 3.77%
#MiamiRealtors 1 1.89%
#MomDaughter 3 5.66%
#TheFirefighters 6 11.32%
#SweetScientists 9 16.98%
#CollegeSweethearts 5 9.43%
#TheDentists 8 15.09%
Total: 53 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:
Jeez heh, I've gotten used to poque's epeen reminders as a reminder to actually watch the drat show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Watching this today was a WEIRD feeling. Amazing Race should not be on Fridays.

Okay start to the season, nothing really to make it stand out as of yet.

MrDingleDangle
Apr 15, 2005

The win of a lifetime, twice.
Was hoping survivors or real estate would lose. I'll give the wrestlers one more episode.

Really like the mother /daughter

And thought I would hate the dentists, but was impressed with his ability at the task

Maia
Aug 15, 2003

Sweet.

MrDingleDangle posted:

Was hoping survivors or real estate would lose. I'll give the wrestlers one more episode.

Really like the mother /daughter

And thought I would hate the dentists, but was impressed with his ability at the task

Team Type A is always good at the tasks. That's not why we hate them.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Bye team eyecandy :(

At least theres still sharkbait (going to steal this from njbeachbum)

Really disappointed the dentist took first because the guy is really loving creepy looking, especially during his team intro. Dont really have anyone I want to root for yet.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

njbeachbum
Apr 14, 2005

DurosKlav posted:

Bye team eyecandy :(

At least theres still sharkbait (going to steal this from njbeachbum)

Really disappointed the dentist took first because the guy is really loving creepy looking, especially during his team intro. Dont really have anyone I want to root for yet.

Sharkbait - oh ah ah

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Usually I'm intrigued to indifferent to new teams on this show but I actively hate most of these people.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Teams I like and hope might win:

-Cyclists
-Food scientists
-Surfers

Teams I don't like:

-Dentists
-Realtors

Team that is going nowhere, in my opinion:

-Boston firefighters

Sadly, based on the first leg performance and securing the "safe", I think the Dentists have a high probability of winning, they just seem pretty competent. Oh, and the guy has roid-ragey intense douchebag kind of eyes, is what I think is putting people off. Maybe they will actually grow on me but I doubt it.

The main thing I liked about the opening leg is the fact that Team Blonde Eye Candy had the idea for everybody to take the penalty due to assuming there was no way they'd lose a race to the mat. :laugh:

kitten
Feb 6, 2003
Truthfully I was expecting team blonde eye candy to get a penalty for stealing the pen out of their hands, scribbling over their names and stealing the spot on the plane. I assume they didn't get one just because it was a moot point.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

I'm surprised at the hate for the Dentists. I liked them in the interviews and that episode just cinched it for me. Three reasons:

1) The self narration. It's the first time I saw a competitor putting forward his thinking process and I like it.
2) The compass watch. It was awesome that he had it and was able to check vs the compass in his hand and realize his mistake.
3) He helped everyone out who asked for it, even with the huge prize on the line.

I hope they win it right now, but then again I said the same thing about the doctors two seasons ago and see how that turned out.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

Hughlander posted:

I'm surprised at the hate for the Dentists. I liked them in the interviews and that episode just cinched it for me. Three reasons:

1) The self narration. It's the first time I saw a competitor putting forward his thinking process and I like it.
2) The compass watch. It was awesome that he had it and was able to check vs the compass in his hand and realize his mistake.
3) He helped everyone out who asked for it, even with the huge prize on the line.

I hope they win it right now, but then again I said the same thing about the doctors two seasons ago and see how that turned out.

I've got to echo this, in the interview they totally came across as one of those teams that were going to take pride in being "villains" but the guy dentist was really awesome how he helped out everyone with the compass. Also when the girl dentist was saying about how smart he was and how he'd have no problems with the task I was expecting the usual amazing race "he's so smart" followed by gross incompetence, but no he actually destroyed the task.

I also really like the fire fighters, I'm not sure why, they just seem really likeable in a Lou Ferrigno kind of way. what happened with the pen? I rewound to try and catch what went down but it was so crowded I couldn't make out who did what. Was it the realtors that grabbed it? If so they had no right to moan about being pushed away from the cab.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, team firefighter was in the process of writing their names down when team realty grabbed the pen from his hands and wrote their own name in.

Nthing the Team Dentist love. Other than the dude's very menacing brow configuration, I think they may be my early root this season. Way to be prepared with a compass watch; I've always wondered if teams could bring equipment like that.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I think they only ban stuff like smartphones or ereaders or whatever. People have used their own pocket calculators. And of course you couldn't fly with like, a Swiss army knife.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

That's why I said maybe I'll actually come to like the Dentists. I think the issue is simply one of maybe being fooled by appearances and prejudice. They merely LOOK like the kind of people (especially him) that I find are usually jockey-meathead douches.

I do agree that I was impressed by his talking out his thought process. It's the kind of thing that I often do, and other people who I think are really competent at stuff. So it's not just that they killed the task, by "showing his work" I could see that it wasn't a fluke and dude actually knew what the hell he was doing, hence my assessment that they are one of the more competent teams.

MrDingleDangle
Apr 15, 2005

The win of a lifetime, twice.
It's not just the look of the dentists, but also pre game they said

"What famous person reminds you of your teammate? Jenny McCarthy
What scares you most about traveling? Traveling to places where Misti may not be safe (she tends to stand out in a crowd"

So I was ready to hate them, but so far pleasantly surprised.

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

lol jews gonna get fucked.

kitten posted:

Truthfully I was expecting team blonde eye candy to get a penalty for stealing the pen out of their hands, scribbling over their names and stealing the spot on the plane. I assume they didn't get one just because it was a moot point.

I was curious about this too. Isn't there a rule about not interfering with other contestants at tasks? I guess its not technically the task but still. Shoving has always been a contentious issue at these stops but somehow grabbing the pen crossed a line to me. Anyway, good riddance.

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013
So when realtor chicks arrived and clearly saw they were going to be last - why didn't they just turn around and go back to digging for the treasure? It didn't seem that far between there and the pit stop, so you figure they may have still had a couple hours to try and get it before the 4hr penalty finished. Wouldn't that make sense to try til the last minute rather than accepting defeat?

Or is there some rule that once you state that you're taking the penalty, it's locked in and you can't go back and finish the task instead?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Joose Caboose posted:

So when realtor chicks arrived and clearly saw they were going to be last - why didn't they just turn around and go back to digging for the treasure? It didn't seem that far between there and the pit stop, so you figure they may have still had a couple hours to try and get it before the 4hr penalty finished. Wouldn't that make sense to try til the last minute rather than accepting defeat?

Or is there some rule that once you state that you're taking the penalty, it's locked in and you can't go back and finish the task instead?

Actually I can see making a case for both policies. It would be interesting, in these cases where multiple teams decide to take the penalty, if someone can "defect" and go back to doing the task. But if that's the case then everyone should have that option, to say "oh HO so that's how it's going to be, game on then!"

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Did they all actually have to wait or since they were all taking the penalty did they just get told to race to the finish and it would be added on later?

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

ElwoodCuse posted:

Did they all actually have to wait or since they were all taking the penalty did they just get told to race to the finish and it would be added on later?

What happened a few seasons ago is that the three teams immediately left the task and headed to the pitstop, and the two teams that weren't eliminated had to wait an extra 4 hours before they could leave the pitstop.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I'm pretty sure you have to concede the task to get the location of the Pit Stop, which would otherwise be on the clue buried in the sand somewhere.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
What's really sad is had a team just skipped the task altogether when they first showed up would have finished in like 6th and still had a good 4-5 hour lead over a few teams on the next leg.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
I still can't get over the moment where one of the realtors stated that the sun sets in the east.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

The Dark One posted:

I still can't get over the moment where one of the realtors stated that the sun sets in the east.

Even better was the other woman's response to that: Stunned silence...."Ok....sure...."

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

What I didn't understand is why, after seeing several teams barely dig to find it, the other teams left didn't just circle off a massive area and just drag the shovel around until they hit something.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

sportsgenius86 posted:

What I didn't understand is why, after seeing several teams barely dig to find it, the other teams left didn't just circle off a massive area and just drag the shovel around until they hit something.

Probably because they had to find their own chest. Just going around randomly could get you someone else's and would make the clue that team got useless.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

What's really sad is had a team just skipped the task altogether when they first showed up would have finished in like 6th and still had a good 4-5 hour lead over a few teams on the next leg.

This actually seems a reasonable strategy, if you turn up and a task looks like a haystack challenge just take the penalty. Every season there seems to be at least one task that takes more than the four hour penalty for most teams. (The bar tending task from last season stands out here.)

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

jng2058 posted:

I'm pretty sure you have to concede the task to get the location of the Pit Stop, which would otherwise be on the clue buried in the sand somewhere.

And the times that just one team takes a penalty, they had to wait at the location of the roadblock before moving on.

So far the only team I don't like is the wrestlers. I'm rooting for the gay couple and the firefighters, but I expect both those teams to get knocked out by the mid season.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

jng2058 posted:

Probably because they had to find their own chest. Just going around randomly could get you someone else's and would make the clue that team got useless.

well, yea, but most of them looked separate enough from each other that you could circle off a fairly decent sized area without that concern.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

sportsgenius86 posted:

well, yea, but most of them looked separate enough from each other that you could circle off a fairly decent sized area without that concern.

But if you've hosed up the compass part as badly as they had, just randomly grabbing a patch of sand is as likely as to be in someone else's turf as your own.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I think the point though is that they showed the last couple of teams digging maybe a foot or so away from where their chests actually were. I agree that they should've just scoured the area at that point, but for some reason they both just kept digging a deeper hole (literally and figuratively) in one spot.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

jng2058 posted:

But if you've hosed up the compass part as badly as they had, just randomly grabbing a patch of sand is as likely as to be in someone else's turf as your own.

Yes but at the same time, you know it's a very imprecise process, so you should be digging wider, not deeper.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

sportsgenius86 posted:

Yes but at the same time, you know it's a very imprecise process, so you should be digging wider, not deeper.

Hmmmm. Yeah, I'll give you that. Fair enough.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?
Giving up a pair of shoes to a very strong team is a really dumb thing to do.

SUPER excited about this challenge.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
We're racing, people!

Given the choice, I'd have to pick the palace guard. What other opportunity are you going to get to do something like that?

Man, I sure hope this detour doesn't require two arms.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
Oh man, I can see a lot of teams screwing this task up.

njbeachbum
Apr 14, 2005

Ghostpilot posted:

We're racing, people!

Given the choice, I'd have to pick the palace guard. What other opportunity are you going to get to do something like that?

Man, I sure hope this detour doesn't require two arms.

Sharkbait OOH AH AH... (I promise only to do this about 1000 more times)

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Is it just me, or are they deliberately editing Bethany as to not reveal her missing arm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?
OMG OXFORD?!? I WAS BORN IN OXFORD

• Locked thread