Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win season 25?
This poll is closed.
#SoulSurfers 8 15.09%
#TeamNashville 1 1.89%
#TheWrestlers 9 16.98%
#TheDatingCouple 1 1.89%
#TheCyclists 2 3.77%
#MiamiRealtors 1 1.89%
#MomDaughter 3 5.66%
#TheFirefighters 6 11.32%
#SweetScientists 9 16.98%
#CollegeSweethearts 5 9.43%
#TheDentists 8 15.09%
Total: 53 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
I was half-expecting him to get on her about the shoelace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
The expressions on the talking head segments are dead giveaways on who got eliminated.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Ghostpilot posted:

The expressions on the talking head segments are dead giveaways on who got eliminated.

Not always, unless you're talking about this episode specifically. I was 20 minutes late so I don't know.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"We've been watching the show for years! We've been doing CrossFit, running with backpacks..."

But neither of you studied pancake flipping while running at full speed, have you? :colbert:

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

WTF was that Phil and racers segment?

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

blue squares posted:

WTF was that Phil and racers segment?

Another example of the awkward editing involving the Soul Surfers.

Maybe they're just that far ahead of the pack?

Edit: "It has been judged that you have failed this task due to insufficient flipping of your pancakes!" I love this show.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Any guess on how many teams fall in ?

The Mother & Daughter team may be my favorite. :allears: Really, I'm liking the vast majority of the teams so far. I wouldn't be too upset to see the last of the firefighters, though.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?
THIS IS AN AWESOME WAY TO DO THE EXPRESS PASS.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

SteveVizsla posted:

THIS IS AN AWESOME WAY TO DO THE EXPRESS PASS.

What do you mean?

I need to start paying attention. Oops. What was the express pass challenge?

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

blue squares posted:

What do you mean?

Giving it to the team near the end, so that they risk giving up their placement. Thought I thought they were actually going to have to do something for it :(

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Still think they're trying to hide her arm?

That peeing bit was great

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Wow, you don't get too much more embarrassing than wetting yourself on television with bunch of :cawg:ing teenagers right next to you. #WhenYouGottaGoYouGottaGo

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Ghostpilot posted:

Wow, you don't get too much more embarrassing than wetting yourself on television with bunch of :cawg:ing teenagers right next to you. #WhenYouGottaGoYouGottaGo

Above all else, this is reason #1 why I would never try to do the race.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I liked the Mom and Daughter but this meltdown is really annoying

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

There's a third black woman? That threw me off at the mat there.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

blue squares posted:

I liked the Mom and Daughter but this meltdown is really annoying

Yeah, I really liked them up until this moment.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

blue squares posted:

There's a third black woman? That threw me off at the mat there.

Food scientist

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

I think it's okay. They're passionate about the race.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

SteveVizsla posted:

Food scientist

Oh yeah.

I'm bummed that the other couple didn't make it. They were still saying that they love each other and I like their attitude better

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

blue squares posted:

Not always, unless you're talking about this episode specifically. I was 20 minutes late so I don't know.

Wow, guess I was wrong. In a much earlier talking head segment, the daughter of the MotherDaughter team looked as though somebody died.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

:stare: Holy poo poo his ankle.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
Oh man, are we going to have another ACHILLES?

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

lol jews gonna get fucked.

Ghostpilot posted:

Is it just me, or are they deliberately editing Bethany as to not reveal her missing arm?

I dunno. I can't stop staring at her armpit stump.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

I dunno. I can't stop staring at her armpit stump.

Most annoying team of the season. This "honeybun" stuff has to stop. And the guy looks like he is stoned the whole time. Unfortunatly they seem to be pretty competent and have an express pass, so I will have to endure them for longer.

Andorra posted:

Oh man, are we going to have another ACHILLES?

While that looked pretty brutal it's probably not as bad as a torn achilles because the damage could be more superficial. But they suck anyway so no big loss.

SteveVizsla posted:

Giving it to the team near the end, so that they risk giving up their placement. Thought I thought they were actually going to have to do something for it :(

It should have been a much larger time investment in my opinion. If you have two planes with over 1h difference there is not much you risk as a first placed team except for maybe the first place price. A nice way would have been to have the hay bale challenge on a field 500meter away from the pitstop with only the one fast forward in 100 hay bale's. If you start you can't leave before the fast forward is found. Which means if you start it you could potentially be in a footrace for last place and not even have the fast forward.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

How can these people be breaking down in leg two. They're not even out of English speaking countries yet!

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

How can these people be breaking down in leg two. They're not even out of English speaking countries yet!

Maybe getting yelled at by the drill sergeant took its toll on them? :shrug: Buy yeah, it's only going to get harder from here!

By the way, is this the first time a team has caught up to Phil when he was doing challenge intros?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ghostpilot posted:

By the way, is this the first time a team has caught up to Phil when he was doing challenge intros?

It happened last week!

It's also happened a couple of times in previous seasons.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

It happened last week!

It's also happened a couple of times in previous seasons.

I missed half of last week's. :saddowns: So far the only team I could do without are the firefighters, which may work itself out. Between this and "Survivor" we've sure gotten quite an influx of firefighters. Wonder why that is.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Ghostpilot posted:

This week it seemed staged/on purpose. I expect them to do that every episode because they like how it improves the flow of the narrative.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

GaussianCopula posted:

It should have been a much larger time investment in my opinion. If you have two planes with over 1h difference there is not much you risk as a first placed team except for maybe the first place price. A nice way would have been to have the hay bale challenge on a field 500meter away from the pitstop with only the one fast forward in 100 hay bale's. If you start you can't leave before the fast forward is found. Which means if you start it you could potentially be in a footrace for last place and not even have the fast forward.

I agree. It's possible though that it was a task that required two arms, and so they were just allowed to skip it?

It's interesting how it'll affect roadblock designs. As Bethany said, they are worried about choosing and roadblock that she is physically incapable of doing. Does this mean this entire race was designed so that all roadblocks can be completed with one arm?

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

Shakugan posted:

I agree. It's possible though that it was a task that required two arms, and so they were just allowed to skip it?

It's interesting how it'll affect roadblock designs. As Bethany said, they are worried about choosing and roadblock that she is physically incapable of doing. Does this mean this entire race was designed so that all roadblocks can be completed with one arm?

Why would you think that? The show isn't going to re-work itself just because they chose to cast someone with a disability. The whole point of them choosing the cast is so they can have the players work around the show they've created, not the other way around. Think of how unfair it would be for the other teams if they could skip a task just because she has 1 arm, that would make her disability give her a ridiculous advantage.

The whole point is they cast her cause she can basically do anything someone with 2 arms can do and most of the time do it better. I'm willing to bet you could think of 100 tasks you claim "require 2 arms" that probably don't. I've never seen a clue that literally has the words "using both arms" in it.

If however they come across a challenge where having one arm will give her trouble, they just have to deal with it and either take a penalty or best the thing in spite of her limitations. They're not gonna change the task requirements because one team that they picked has a reason to make the game easier, which as I've argued isn't even the case.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
I thought she would have problems climbing the net to jump into the water in the first episode, but she didn't.

Which team is from Survivor?

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Danzel Glovington posted:

Why would you think that? The show isn't going to re-work itself just because they chose to cast someone with a disability.

Except they will, because they've done it before. In the seasons that Luke raced on there were times when detours or roadblocks explicitly mentioned that hearing was required to complete the task. In the case of detours they made sure he could complete the other task.

quote:

The whole point is they cast her cause she can basically do anything someone with 2 arms can do and most of the time do it better. I'm willing to bet you could think of 100 tasks you claim "require 2 arms" that probably don't.

While I certainly agree that she's shown herself to be a lot better at a bunch of tasks than the average able-bodied person, to pretend that her disability wouldn't stop her from doing certain tasks is ridiculous.

quote:

I've never seen a clue that literally has the words "using both arms" in it.

Driving stick in a racing car. Archery. Tasks off the top of my head that require two arms to do safely (yes they can be done unsafely with one, but there's no way they are going to have a task where she has to take her hands off the wheel or bend over so she can't see the road). There are many tasks on the Amazing Race where having one arm would prevent someone from completing a task.

Pretending that someones disability doesn't exist does just as much disservice to that person as assuming they can't do anything. Be realistic, and acknowledge there are some things she'll be able to do great, some she will struggle with, and some tasks that have occurred on the Amazing Race that she straight up wouldn't be capable of doing.

quote:

If however they come across a challenge where having one arm will give her trouble, they just have to deal with it and either take a penalty or best the thing in spite of her limitations. They're not gonna change the task requirements because one team that they picked has a reason to make the game easier, which as I've argued isn't even the case.

This is a tv show. They are not going to want footage of a contestant being eliminated because she unknowingly chose a vague roadblock that requires two arms. You are crazy if you think they won't take steps to ensure this doesn't happen.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Shakugan posted:

While I certainly agree that she's shown herself to be a lot better at a bunch of tasks than the average able-bodied person, to pretend that her disability wouldn't stop her from doing certain tasks is ridiculous.

Last season Maggie and Luke had to do the "bar tender" task on which they got eliminated because Luke is deaf and could not hear the music for the other detour, which was probably easier. I guess the producers had to make sure that atleast one of the detours can be completed by her and that if she can't complete a roadblock it's obvious when they read the clue that she can't do it. Other than that, they won't do much to benefit her.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

A greater example is how teams were supposed to evenly split the number of challenges yet Cancer Son did the vast majority.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways

GaussianCopula posted:

Last season Maggie and Luke had to do the "bar tender" task on which they got eliminated because Luke is deaf and could not hear the music for the other detour, which was probably easier. I guess the producers had to make sure that atleast one of the detours can be completed by her and that if she can't complete a roadblock it's obvious when they read the clue that she can't do it. Other than that, they won't do much to benefit her.

They didn't get eliminated that episode and neither did they come last.
Matter of fact Brenchel came last losing to M&L at the bartending challenge yet they weren't eliminated.

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

lol jews gonna get fucked.

Shakugan posted:

This is a tv show. They are not going to want footage of a contestant being eliminated because she unknowingly chose a vague roadblock that requires two arms. You are crazy if you think they won't take steps to ensure this doesn't happen.

Call me crazy then. Didn't that one girl without legs lose a foot race to the mat? I don't think they will make roadblocks specifically so Bethany can do them. And she only has to do half of them or maybe even less if they follow the Cancer Dad formula. There's been very little driving lately and her husband could do that anyway. Anything with race cars, I don't think they've ever been the one driving. We'll see if they have any archery, shooting, or something similar. Anyway, only time will tell if things are easy or not.

Yomofo
Jun 7, 2005

by Cyrano4747
My friends Dad was born with 1 arm and he races a stick shift BMW. Hell, even with a cig or talking on the phone you learn how to do it with one hand. Archery though, you got me there.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

Call me crazy then. Didn't that one girl without legs lose a foot race to the mat?

Yeah, this was one of my favourite moments of The Amazing Race, just the guy in the other team shouting "I'm so sorry" as he over took her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I vaguely remember one season in which a team lost their clue and another team tried to convince them that the next pitstop was in Siberia.

• Locked thread