Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win season 25?
This poll is closed.
#SoulSurfers 8 15.09%
#TeamNashville 1 1.89%
#TheWrestlers 9 16.98%
#TheDatingCouple 1 1.89%
#TheCyclists 2 3.77%
#MiamiRealtors 1 1.89%
#MomDaughter 3 5.66%
#TheFirefighters 6 11.32%
#SweetScientists 9 16.98%
#CollegeSweethearts 5 9.43%
#TheDentists 8 15.09%
Total: 53 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
Dammit, I forgot again. :negative: This is way worse than football delays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Don't forget, the World Series is on right now.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
It's a shame people aren't watching this season because it's the best in a long time.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Well Keith and Whitney were pretty forgettable so losing 'em means nothing to me. I'm pretty much down to teams I like and a couple that I don't, so that's good.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
My wife was extremely distracted (she says "enchanted") by Phil's massive moose knuckle.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I'm watching it more this season than ever since it actually comes on at the time it's loving supposed to every week.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The Cyclists killed it again, good to see they can get out in front even when everyone's packed together :woop:

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

jng2058 posted:

It's the move to Friday. I keep forgetting it, and a lot of people are busy Friday nights anyway. The move is probably murdering this show, which is a drat shame. :sigh:

Last weeks rating was a 1.4, up from 1.1 at the start of the season, which is a good sign. CBS knew that they would lose some viewers with this switch, but if it continues to win back viewers it might be on for a long long time on Friday.

3peat
May 6, 2010

I'm glad the racists were eliminated

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I think the Friday night slot means that most of us are watching the next day. Also, how could no one U-turn those drat dentists?! You have to get rid of that drat save, they're showing weakness, so hit them with the U-turn.

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

I think the Friday night slot means that most of us are watching the next day. Also, how could no one U-turn those drat dentists?! You have to get rid of that drat save, they're showing weakness, so hit them with the U-turn.

Yeah I can only see it occasionally on Friday nights so I usually watch next day. And I totally agree someone should have U-turned the dentists. I guess you don't want to give them a reason to possible get you back later but man you got to get them on an even playing field with everyone else.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
Because, in part, it could be a wasted uturn. The mother and daughter hit Team Nashville because they were sure they were still at the detour. And I don't recall if there was a team after them, but the mom and daughter definitely made the correct choice.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.
Did the scientists get any screen time this episode? I had to look up if they had been eliminated and I just forgot.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Tupping Liberty posted:

Did the scientists get any screen time this episode? I had to look up if they had been eliminated and I just forgot.

Yes, mostly their failure to do the head twirl.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Golbez posted:

Yes, mostly their failure to do the head twirl.

That's what I get for mostly just listening instead of watching.

Another thing I noticed that was weird - Phil pointing out "The Dentists are now about 12 minutes behind the other teams." Has he ever done that before?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Golbez posted:

Because, in part, it could be a wasted uturn. The mother and daughter hit Team Nashville because they were sure they were still at the detour. And I don't recall if there was a team after them, but the mom and daughter definitely made the correct choice.

It would have been wasted, but that wouldn't have been obvious. The dentists were at the back of the back and there were people at the uTurn before the mother/daughter team and ones after it who should have taken the opportunity. That save has to be removed from the game if you're playing against them and any opportunity you have where you might get rid of it needs to be taken.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Tupping Liberty posted:

Another thing I noticed that was weird - Phil pointing out "The Dentists are now about 12 minutes behind the other teams." Has he ever done that before?

No, and it was one of the most awkwardly staged shots in the episode. Felt like a waste to drag him out there just to say that when a graphic would've sufficed.

Saveron_01
Dec 27, 2004

macnbc posted:

No, and it was one of the most awkwardly staged shots in the episode. Felt like a waste to drag him out there just to say that when a graphic would've sufficed.

It was really weird tbh. I am unsure why the editors needed to include that into the episode, unless there was something special about the scene that they wanted to show off. Perhaps to grab more screen time for the city they were filming in?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Best episode so far this season, this is looking pretty good. Bye Keith and Whitney, or as I called them twice per episode, "wait who the hell is that?"

I kinda wanted to see if they'd be given a penalty for the faraway-partner-clue-reception shenanigans. I always wonder what the locals are told about completing a task, when to hand over a clue, stuff like that. Maybe there's just a producer off camera shaking and nodding their head. And do these shops get paid to shut down for a day so some goofy Yankees can do a terrible job setting up the stall? Has anyone read any "here's what it's like hosting a TAR task" posts anywhere?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Golbez posted:

My wife was extremely distracted (she says "enchanted") by Phil's massive moose knuckle.

It was a really sexed up episode with that, Bethany apparently non-braing and the long belly dancer shots.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

Tupping Liberty posted:

They've been throwing in a few shots like that this season, where Phil is already on scene by a clue and narrates whatever team passes by. I think in the previous episode he was at the first Route Marker as the cyclists got there.

It's a little weird, but I'm okay with them mixing up the presentation in minor ways like that. The last few seasons have felt a little sterile and robotic.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

pokeyman posted:

And do these shops get paid to shut down for a day so some goofy Yankees can do a terrible job setting up the stall? Has anyone read any "here's what it's like hosting a TAR task" posts anywhere?

They have to get something, no one is going to give up a day's wage for the chance to be on a TV show they'll never see.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

mancalamania posted:

They've been throwing in a few shots like that this season, where Phil is already on scene by a clue and narrates whatever team passes by. I think in the previous episode he was at the first Route Marker as the cyclists got there.

It's a little weird, but I'm okay with them mixing up the presentation in minor ways like that. The last few seasons have felt a little sterile and robotic.

I liked it when they work that into the task descriptions that Phil does anyway, but for placement updates there's no reason not to just put a graphic up like usual.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm new to the show so could someone explain the U-Turn to me? I don't know if I missed the explanation in episode or if they just assume viewers know the rules. That's kind of been my impression all season as I've felt way behind in understanding the rules the whole way. The show doesn't seem super friendly to new viewers that way. Or maybe I'm just dense?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
The team that gets u turned has to go back and do the other detour--unless they've already passed the uturn box. If you aren't sure where you are in the race, it's possible you could u turn someone ahead of you, and you'll have wasted it (a team can only use a u turn once during the whole race).

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

I'm new to the show so could someone explain the U-Turn to me? I don't know if I missed the explanation in episode or if they just assume viewers know the rules. That's kind of been my impression all season as I've felt way behind in understanding the rules the whole way. The show doesn't seem super friendly to new viewers that way. Or maybe I'm just dense?

Now that you mention it I haven't rolled my eyes at the tenth explanation of what a detour is. But they ought to mention it once or twice! Anyway everything's on Wikipedia. A u-turned team has to complete the other side of the detour.

Saveron_01
Dec 27, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

Phil does explain it, but kinda talks very fast to keep pace with the episode. With the U-turn a team may use the U-Turn to force another team to also complete the other Detour option they did not originally choose. So in effect, they would have to complete both challenges, which would put another team at a disadvantage, especially if they tried one challenge, then moved to the other like in this episode.

The team who detoured the other team puts their picture in the small frame and the team they are detouring in the large frame, so they know who did it to them.

Generally, it is good karma to not U-Turn other teams unless they are pretty dominate team or have made enemies. Rule number 3 in Amazing Race, karma is a bitch.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Did Nashville actually go back and complete them both? I remember a short scene with them head twerking in the dark, but I don't remember them doing the other one. What season were the Super Jesus dudes? It was recent, but I couldn't find them on wikipedia.

I want Buck to come back with his dad. They were super cute.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Ariza posted:

Did Nashville actually go back and complete them both? I remember a short scene with them head twerking in the dark, but I don't remember them doing the other one. What season were the Super Jesus dudes? It was recent, but I couldn't find them on wikipedia.

I want Buck to come back with his dad. They were super cute.

Yeah I think they did the dancing one eventually, didn't Phil come to them at the detour?

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

pokeyman posted:

Now that you mention it I haven't rolled my eyes at the tenth explanation of what a detour is. But they ought to mention it once or twice! Anyway everything's on Wikipedia. A u-turned team has to complete the other side of the detour.

I don't know why, but I miss some of the formulaic language from the old days. "A Detour is a choice between two tasks, each with its own pros and cons." Or what was the old one? "A Pit Stop is a mandatory rest period which allows teams the chance to eat, sleep, and mingle."

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

They showed them finish the dancing task in the dark so it must have taken them awhile and been late. They seemed to know they had lost by then but just wanted to finish.

So ok, you only get to use a U-Turn once. Is it randomly placed or can they U-Turn someone every week but this was just the first time it happened so the first time it got aired? Someone said that if the team is ahead of you the U-Turn doesn't count? Does that include people who are right behind you? Like the Wrestlers and Dentists seemed to hit the U-Turn at the same time but the Wrestlers got their first. Could the Wrestlers have U-Turned the Dentists?

Saveron_01 posted:

Phil does explain it, but kinda talks very fast to keep pace with the episode.

Thanks (to everyone), I guess that might be it. That also might be why he kind of bugs me. He seems to rush through stuff really quickly and I'm never really sure if I just missed an explanation or if it wasn't given. Like I said, the show just seems to really go at it with the expectation that viewers are well informed about the show. It throws me a little. But like I said, I might just be dense.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

STAC Goat posted:

They showed them finish the dancing task in the dark so it must have taken them awhile and been late. They seemed to know they had lost by then but just wanted to finish.

So ok, you only get to use a U-Turn once. Is it randomly placed or can they U-Turn someone every week but this was just the first time it happened so the first time it got aired? Someone said that if the team is ahead of you the U-Turn doesn't count? Does that include people who are right behind you? Like the Wrestlers and Dentists seemed to hit the U-Turn at the same time but the Wrestlers got their first. Could the Wrestlers have U-Turned the Dentists?

There's usually two in a season. The first clue of the day includes: "Warning: U-Turn Ahead" when there is one, which is why everyone was talking about it long before anyone got to it.

Saveron_01
Dec 27, 2004

Tupping Liberty posted:

Yeah I think they did the dancing one eventually, didn't Phil come to them at the detour?

There is very few instances where Phil would actually show up at a detour to stop a team from finishing a mission. Prime example is the needle in a haystack challenge from Season 6, where a person spent nearly 10 hours rolling over 100 hay bales without finding the clue. That was totally brutal.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

STAC Goat posted:

Like was said above, there are typically about two u turns per season. Racers are warned at the start of a leg that there will be one. A racer can only choose to u turn someone once. So if they use it on the first go, they cannot use it at the second. Because of how he race is structured, you can only u turn someone who hasn't already gone past the u turn. Racers may not know where all the others are, so there's always a chance they could waste their u turn on someone who is ahead and therefore is unaffected by it. That's why this week they chose to use it on the team they saw still doing the task- they knew they were still behind.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The U-Turn is the bigger, nastier sibling of the Yield from the early seasons which was a similar concept but teams had to wait for a sand timer to run out. Naturally the U-Turn makes for better TV, especially when a team has already switched Detours and has been U-Turned.

STAC Goat posted:

Someone said that if the team is ahead of you the U-Turn doesn't count? Does that include people who are right behind you? Like the Wrestlers and Dentists seemed to hit the U-Turn at the same time but the Wrestlers got their first. Could the Wrestlers have U-Turned the Dentists?

The teams have to declare that they do not want to U-Turn someone I believe, and they do so in the order they get there so yes the Wrestlers could have U-Turned the Dentists I believe. I think it's happened like that once. It ruled.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

njsykora posted:

The teams have to declare that they do not want to U-Turn someone I believe, and they do so in the order they get there so yes the Wrestlers could have U-Turned the Dentists I believe. I think it's happened like that once. It ruled.

It was some all-star season, Kynt and Vyxsyn U-turn some team standing beside them "because they were the only team we knew we were in front of".

I apologize for making you remember Kynt and Vyxsyn.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

GuavaMoment posted:

It was some all-star season, Kynt and Vyxsyn U-turn some team standing beside them "because they were the only team we knew we were in front of".

I apologize for making you remember Kynt and Vyxsyn.

Vyxsyn was fine, it was Kent who whined constantly.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Alaemon posted:

I don't know why, but I miss some of the formulaic language from the old days. "A Detour is a choice between two tasks, each with its own pros and cons." Or what was the old one? "A Pit Stop is a mandatory rest period which allows teams the chance to eat, sleep, and mingle."

What sucks is that they don't even mingle anymore. For several seasons now, the teams have gotten their first glimpse at who was eliminated by seeing who doesn't show up at the airport the next morning. I wonder why they stopped doing it.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Golbez posted:

What sucks is that they don't even mingle anymore. For several seasons now, the teams have gotten their first glimpse at who was eliminated by seeing who doesn't show up at the airport the next morning. I wonder why they stopped doing it.

Probably the same reason Hell's Kitchen stopped making co-ed teams from the start; the race got too harmonic = not enough DRAMA!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

Golbez posted:

I always assumed it was budget cuts. When there is mingling there should be a camera crew in case anything important happens (the early seasons tended to start the episode with a few clips from the mingling at the Pit Stop-- I remember specifically Reichen and Chip from season 4 came out to the other teams during a Pit Stop).

Then again this might be silly, as keeping a camera around during the one hour where everyone is awake and together at the same time probably doesn't cost much at all. I guess I got that idea since the mingling disappeared around the same time as the Fast Forward which was definitely cut down to budget cuts.

• Locked thread