Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Based on the (wildly popular) books by Diana Gabaldon, and brought to you by the maker of Battlestar Galactica, Ronald A. Moore. Music by Bear McCreary. Outlander is a sci-fi / romance / costume drama. It's not just for your mom (but she probably likes it too).

We don't have to pretend the books don't exist, but if you want to just talk books, there's a forum for that. Future events should be spoiler tagged (as always).

Episodes already aired:

1. Sassenach
2. Castle Leoch
3. The Way Out
4. The Gathering
5. Rent
6. The Garrison Commander
7. The Wedding

edit: some word changes...

hollylolly fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Sep 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

yesssssss a thread!

I have not read the books but I am thinking about doing so. I haven't been such a sucker for a historical romance since high school lol

I confess, I watched the Wedding episode twice. I really enjoyed the pacing of it and how it was all done in flashbacks. And of course how she blew his mind too :quagmire:

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I really like this show. It could be labeled as a romance story but that ignores the real drama involved. I like period pieces like this and I think it has been done very well. The filming is beautifully done and the costumes and scenery are just great. The characters are all very well developed and the actors are wonderful. It really does immerse you in the time period portrayed. I have recommended this show to all of my family and friends, male and female alike.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
This is a great show. The main character is one of the few smart time travelers I've seen.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Yay, thread is here!

I've read the first book twice. Once as a teenager, and even as hormonal as I was at the time, the constant sex scenes were annoying, and I didn't like Claire. Then in my 20s I decided to give it another shot, and I still found the constant sex scenes annoying and I still didn't like Claire, and there was at least one scene that skeeved me out with its old-school romance-novel "nonconsensual sex is hot" nonsense. And this from an author who insists up and down that her novels aren't romance novels because her female protagonist is older than her male protagonist. Whatever, lady.

ANYWAY. Started watching this show, got hooked, love the actors playing the leads, Caitriona Balfe actually makes me like Claire, Sam H. is perfect as Jamie, and Tobias Menzies is awesome as Black Jack Randall and succeeds in giving Frank a personality (and a charming one at that).

And last but not least.....Graham McTavish as Dougal :swoon:

The latest episode was cool in that it was both written and directed by women, so we got to have the very rare experience of a female-gaze-oriented love scene(s).

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I haven't watched this show yet but I will if they have kept one thing , does the main female character hate doggy style sex because she feels like it's degrading to women. That is the only thing I remember for reading the books like 15 years ago.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

They haven't specifically mentioned that, but in the last episode she stopped Jamie from doing it doggy style (horse style :lol: ), so I imagine the intent is still there.

Regarding the books, I've read a few of them and the first has the most and most explicit sex written into it. The subsequent novels do not have as much. The author has said that she never wrote Outlander expecting anyone else would read it, and just wrote it to prove to herself she could write a novel. She just threw in whatever she liked...and in the sequels she became more discerning. But anyway!

In The Garrison Commander Dougal really gets to shine, I think. And we are finally getting to focus on Jamie and Claire...and the Jacobites have been brought into the picture. I do like how the historical parts of the show are woven into the story gently, rather than hitting you over the head with it.

Plus, kilts. :allears:

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Do the other books have the same level of historical detail as the first one? That's one thing I did enjoy.

Ah gently caress, I might just go ahead and read the first one again before trying the others.

Really, the story (and show) is pretty moving. The central theme of living among people striving for a cause that you know without a doubt is doomed to fail disastrously is emotionally gripping.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

hollylolly posted:

They haven't specifically mentioned that, but in the last episode she stopped Jamie from doing it doggy style (horse style :lol: ), so I imagine the intent is still there.

Well poo poo, now I have to watch this show then. I have no memory of the books beyond this part so it will be a suprise.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

sbaldrick posted:

I haven't watched this show yet but I will if they have kept one thing , does the main female character hate doggy style sex because she feels like it's degrading to women. That is the only thing I remember for reading the books like 15 years ago.

hollylolly posted:

Yeah, they didn't get into why, but Claire definitely insisted that Jamie not bend her over the bed and instead face her. But the whole scene, in fact this entire last episode that was just one continuous sex scene, was very tastefully done.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

radical meme posted:

Yeah, they didn't get into why, but Claire definitely insisted that Jamie not bend her over the bed and instead face her. But the whole scene, in fact this entire last episode that was just one continuous sex scene, was very tastefully done.

I don't think the book gets into why either. Not a bad first episode from what I've watched

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

So, is the first episode indicative of the whole? I watched it back when it aired and... wasn't particularly moved one way or the other? It was okay.

Oh, and does anyone know where, specifically, it's filmed? Quick Google suggests Ayrshire.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Autonomous Monster posted:

So, is the first episode indicative of the whole? I watched it back when it aired and... wasn't particularly moved one way or the other? It was okay.

Oh, and does anyone know where, specifically, it's filmed? Quick Google suggests Ayrshire.

I think the first episode does a good job setting the tone for the show, yes. But it does get better? If you thought the first episode was ok then you should keep going.

I think the narration is being used less in each subsequent episode, but I don't really mind the narration. When you have a book written in first person it's hard to convey that into a visual medium. The Hunger Games did fairly well with skipping the innermost thoughts of Katniss, but I think it loses a little bit of what makes the source material resonate.

And of course, with Claire, you'd miss most of her time traveler shock/anachronisms if they didn't do narration.

As to where it's filmed, I think you're right. The other option I can find is "Scotland" which isn't very helpful. :cheeky:

Rabbit Hill, you can probably just pick up the second book without having to re-read the first. The historical detail is there, and they go to France.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Sorry for the double post, but I just found out this show is going to be split into two half seasons, with this week's episode being the :siren: mid season finale! :siren: And it's not coming back for the final 8 episodes until April 2015! I don't think I've encountered a show on a premium network being split in two before.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Well, poo poo. Curse Ron Moore and his half-season bullshit. :argh:

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
This show is amazing. I've never watched a show with detailed Scottish history like this, and a cast to support it. Are they speaking Gaelic? Is it actually the real language (from the time) and all the songs etc. are they real? As an Australian, and therefore not from the region or knowing the in-depth of the area, it's a very beautiful show. Also the main actress is amazing at portraying her role. I did not realize the show was based off a book series. This show could go either way, and that there is such a large break between episodes it seems like it's dead in the water.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
I believe there's a break because they were still filming as of not too long ago. Being a period show with a longer episode count than most premium shows, the break makes sense.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Teek posted:

I believe there's a break because they were still filming as of not too long ago. Being a period show with a longer episode count than most premium shows, the break makes sense.

That makes sense... I guess. ;) I do know they premiered it a bit earlier than expected as well, so that probably contributes to how long the break is. Also the back half is... a bit action heavy.

Lascivious Sloth posted:

This show is amazing. I've never watched a show with detailed Scottish history like this, and a cast to support it. Are they speaking Gaelic? Is it actually the real language (from the time) and all the songs etc. are they real? As an Australian, and therefore not from the region or knowing the in-depth of the area, it's a very beautiful show. Also the main actress is amazing at portraying her role. I did not realize the show was based off a book series. This show could go either way, and that there is such a large break between episodes it seems like it's dead in the water.

They are speaking Gaelic which is the real language. Well, I ASSUME it's actually Gaelic they're speaking (I didn't even know how to properly pronounce the word Gaelic until they said it on the show). It's real Gaelic in the book and it isn't a dead language so I don't see why it wouldn't be on the show. I also doubt the break is going to diminish the fan base. Outlander was published over 20 years ago and the latest book (number 7?) just came out this summer, and they're wildly popular, so that's a lot of fans.

Also, it has already been renewed for season two. :)

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

How long has she supposed to have been time displaced so far and she's already loving some other dude? It's making me thing that she probably hosed some other guy during the war while Brutus was off getting shot at by krauts. Poor guy can't stop getting c-worded throughout his marriage. I love her rationale too. "Whelp, I tried."

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

ruddiger posted:

How long has she supposed to have been time displaced so far and she's already loving some other dude? It's making me thing that she probably hosed some other guy during the war while Brutus was off getting shot at by krauts. Poor guy can't stop getting c-worded throughout his marriage. I love her rationale too. "Whelp, I tried."

Eh, I dunno. She needs some kind of protection, and it's not like marriage was her idea. She wasn't trying to jump his bones (or anything else) until they were actually married, at which point she had to consummate because ~reasons~. She certainly did like it quite a lot once it did happen, but she wasn't seeking it out in the first place.

Anyway, she sure had a bad day in tonight's episode lol

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The episode felt like they tried to cram too much into one hour. The end felt a little off, too, like it should have ended either prior to Jamie at the window or later during their escape.

Also, not enough Dougal. I love me that strapping, stoic, vaguely sinister silver fox. :allears:

I did like the very beginning of Claire's interrogation, when she was gazing at Randall as though she was just soaking up the presence of someone who reminded her so much of Frank after what she had just experienced at the stones. I also like that the show is really beefing up Frank's character and making him more admirable.

But goddamn, Claire is a terrible liar. Even in the scene in the 2nd (?) episode when she flashes back to Frank telling her how to withstand an interrogation by sticking as closely to the truth as possible --cut to her telling Collum some wildass lies about France. Then here she goes being too cocky and making poo poo up about "the Duchess" instead of saying she had no dealings with her. God, Claire.

Scarlet Hawthorne
Jul 12, 2013
Jamie seems to like being married the way a little kid likes dinosaurs.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

I thought it was a pretty strong mid season finale. And I like what they added by showing Frank looking for her, that was a nice touch. I also like the saturation/desaturation of the past and present.

Claire has been in the past seven weeks and she married Jamie because it's what she had to do to survive. And she consummated it because if she didn't then the marriage wouldn't be legal, and everyone was sitting outside the door to make sure the deed was done. Obviously once they Did It it was very enjoyable, and she seems to like Jamie a lot but also feel very conflicted about this being a betrayal of Frank.

This is pretty much a point in the book that the story pivots on, so it's a good place to break at even if I'm still pissed they're not coming back until April. :argh:

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Ugh, why couldn't they have waited to film the whole season before airing all of it in one go, instead of this nonsense? I really hate that splitting seasons is a thing now.

On a more cheerful note, I rewatched the first four episodes this weekend, and now that I can tell Angus and Murtagh apart and know who Rupert is, it's much more fun the second time around. The man who plays Rupert has a really lovely speaking voice, btw.

Also, there's an interview floating around (sorry, can't find it ATM, I'm at work :eng99:) in which someone reveals that the Gaelic they're speaking on the show is very different from modern Gaelic and is a struggle for the actors. They're doing a fantastic job at sounding fluent.

Rabbit Hill fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Sep 29, 2014

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Rabbit Hill posted:

Also, there's an interview floating around (sorry, can't find it ATM, I'm at work :eng99:) in which someone reveals that the Gaelic they're speaking on the show is very different from modern Gaelic and is a struggle for the actors. They're doing a fantastic job at sounding fluent.

I had thought so seeing as much like the English itself from that time would be different (not AS different) from what we would be used to hearing today so it makes complete sense that the Gaelic would be different as well, always nice to see research handled so well on shows like these :)

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
So glad this is a thread! I was wondering why there hadn't been one made yet.

Yes, this show is historical melodrama, but goddamn it's good historical melodrama. Beautiful cinematography of the countryside, and all of the actors were really well cast. Capt. Randall is a great loving villain, and it's nice to see Tobias Menzies playing two characters pretty well.

I think I'll give the books a go once the first season is over just to see how they compare. Anything remotely Celtic is right up my alley, so I'm sure I'll love them. :toot:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I love this show, my family name originated in the same area, with jocks going back that far. The highlands are New Zealand level of beautiful.

My granddad reckons his side goes back to roman era pictish blood, amazing history north of the wall

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Oct 1, 2014

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I'm watching this show mainly for the historical scifi, hoping to see her practice modernish medicine in olden times. The setting is interesting.

That last episode was a bit ridiculous though, how they used one deus ex machina to save her from another diabolus ex machina

Was like "oh Come ON"

Jackard fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 1, 2014

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the more I thnk about it, the more I think the episode would have been better if it ended with Claire in the wagon, and then taking the extra time and spending it in the 1743 plot. It's great that Frank is no longer a non-entity, but an awfully big percentage of the run time was spent on him to the detriment of seeing Claire and Jamie's relationship develop beyond "they sure love loving."

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Sharp eared people might recognize the voice of "Sally", the woman who tries to scam/jump Randall out of the reward, as the voice of Mary Read from Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag.

Erethizon_dorsatum
Nov 14, 2009
Its been extremely awkward to watch this with my mom.

that being said, Tobias Menzies and Sam Heughan are smoking hotties.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

DarkCrawler posted:

This is a great show. The main character is one of the few smart time travelers I've seen.
Not when it comes to lying, which seems like an important skill for them.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

There's just a little bit of chemistry between Sam Heughan and Caitriona Balfe off camera, if this Buzzfeed article of awesome gifs is to be believed: http://www.buzzfeed.com/jarettwieselman/the-outlander-stars-will-make-you-swoon

Just finished reading the book. Booktalk with spoilers: Everything up until this point in the series has been pretty by the book, except for the scenes of Frank searching for her. (And the sex they took out at after she almost got raped by those random Redcoats. lol) It's going to be interesting to see how they handle the second half of the book, especially the rape/torture/hosed up Black Jack/Jamie stuff. I don't know of any other shows that have dealt with homosexual rape before? And then torture on top of it. There sure is a lot in the second half of the book they need to squeeze into the second half of the season, though. I'm assuming the cliffhanger at the end of the season will be just after Jamie was rescued by Claire/Murtaugh, before they head to France to recover.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Crusty Nutsack posted:

There's just a little bit of chemistry between Sam Heughan and Caitriona Balfe off camera, if this Buzzfeed article of awesome gifs is to be believed: http://www.buzzfeed.com/jarettwieselman/the-outlander-stars-will-make-you-swoon
That is so cute. :3:

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

There is a teaser out for the back half of season 1 - http://bcove.me/2i903dj2

April 4th! ...is so far away... :eng99:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Am i the only one watching this for the history and awesome Scottishness?

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

No - I love that part. I like the other bits too, though. :ssh:

Thinking about having the title changed to Outlander: Braveheart + Time Travel

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

hollylolly posted:

No - I love that part. I like the other bits too, though. :ssh:

Thinking about having the title changed to Outlander: Braveheart + Time Travel

Rob Roy + Time Travel would be more accurate. There's roughly as much time between Outlander and Braveheart as there is between now and Shakespeare.

Asbury fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Dec 2, 2014

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

3Romeo posted:

Rob Roy + Time Travel would be more accurate. There's roughly as much time between Outlander and Braveheart as there is between now and Shakespeare.

Rob Roy only died about 10 or 20 years before this is set, so yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Ok, thanks - I knew Braveheart was not this rebellion but I couldn't think of something better. :)

• Locked thread