Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

EC posted:

Am I making stuff up or did the boys get all their scars healed by ~magic~ at some point in the show?

They got teleported by God when Lucifer came out so that may have healed stuff.

Plus all of the times they went to Hell and back and Purgatory and all of that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

priznat posted:

Anyway how is S9, worth tracking down the episodes I've missed or just wing it into S10?

They should be on Netflix today.

The episodes are fine but still sort of aimless (there's two different plots going down, one about angels and one about demons). Thankfully it seems that it'll be more concentrated in S10.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Rapt0rCharles9231 posted:

FYI Season 9 just hit Netflix a few minutes ago.

Yay, now I can watch the Dog episode again!

(or the ghost one, for a less controversial option)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Aww yeah :getin:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Oroborus posted:

This episode felt more like an episode from a mid season lull to me and not a premier, did anyone else get that kind of feeling?

Especially since the trailers had Dean breaking down the door in a horror movie style. It's a very interesting sort of premier.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I didn't dig the opener much when I watched it, but then I realized that HOLY gently caress this is the first premiere that wasn't a virtual reboot of the finale.

poo poo happened in the end of season 9 that is still going on now, and will go on for a bit longer hopefully.

Ehh, to be fair Seasons 6 & 8 both had finales that weren't immediately resolved (okay God Cas was but because he absorbed everything in purgatory that let the Leviathans out).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I'm kinda getting an Archer vibe from Dean this season. New haircut, lots of sleeping around, "AND NOW THIS IS HAPPENING" with the random beat downs and stabbing people.

What kinda surprised me was the healing factor bit. Didn't expect that from the mark, and other demons can't heal themselves like that.

Digging it so far though.

It's just a new status quo I think. It's like now ever since Season 8 or so half of each episode has been "The Castiel time".

Speaking of which, I'm enjoying his side plots more than in the past few seasons, perhaps because it's a lot more intimate than "save the world again".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Some Numbers posted:

Sam didn't get his soul back until halfway through season 6, so hopefully they leave Dean demonized at least that long.

He dies at the end of the season and then we find out where demon souls go when they die (it will be called Limbo).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
So, if Sam cures Dean, doesn't that technically fulfill the third trial?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Fast Luck posted:

I was going to ask that too. I forget how exactly that ended?

It got broke off in the middle and he fell into a coma.

Anyway, I guess not.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Does everyone but me just know who that was at the end sitting below the two porterhouse steaks?

It's apparently a new character named Rowena (which is going to be weird as gently caress because I know someone with a similar name).

http://www.ibtimes.com/supernatural-season-10-spoilers-new-character-added-who-rowena-1618106

quote:

The new, recurring role will be Rowena, a “tough but elegant woman who will stop at nothing to reclaim her power base,” TV Line hinted, adding that the show is looking for an actress who has or can perfect a Scottish accent.

While researching, we learned the Rowena was also the name of the daughter of the Anglo-Saxon chief Hengist and the wife of Vortigern, the king of the Britons, in British legend. She is known as a fictitious figure and a beautiful one at that. She won her people the Kingdom of Kent through her treacherous seduction of Vortigern. Could this be the same Rowena mentioned in the character description?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

empty sea posted:

Demon!Dean was hardly more evil than normal Dean. I'm sure that was deliberate, as was Cas' conversation about how hosed up Sam and Dean's relationship is. At least I hope the show is that self aware when it comes to Dean being a prick and Sam letting him walk all over him.

It also reinforced the metaphor of being a demon as being akin to alcoholism, destructive but easier on your feelings than actually confronting stuff sober.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Oh my GODDDDDD

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I think the bad CGI was sort of a joke on the play props.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
So far an interesting mystery.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Seams posted:

I don't really understand why this show is still going and it kind of makes me sad.

Because it owns.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ultramiraculous posted:

When has anything major involving Sam and/or Dean lasted more that a few episodes? I fully expected Dean waking up with black eyes to be resolved in the premier.

The soulless thing took a little bit longer but that was eventually hand waved with Cas spending some time in a mental ward.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I do kinda wish they'd be more consistent about an overarching plot but the last time they did that everyone bitched at them (Leviathans) so whatever.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Some Numbers posted:

Weekend at Bobby's ALONE justifies Season 6. Soulless Sam, the fairy episode and The French Mistake made it a great decision.

It's weird how memorable episodes just pop up, I guess because the show's not as serial as it appears.

Like, Season 7 was all about Leviathans but that's where the crazy clown episode came from or the one where the demon's host was a serial killer. Or how Season 8 had that weird cartoon episode.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Prepare for a Riot - Why not Try it?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Lunadystopia posted:

Thus episode was well cute. I really like Jodi she us such a badass character and she is almost like a mom to the boys.

Did you guys watch the promo to the next episode, the mid season finale?? I'm so excited to that episode because finally they are going to approach the Mark arch history! Its a shame that the Mark wasn't more present in more episodes. Its a great history with Cain and all but oh well they are beating more on filler episodes I suppose..

It's been subtle, but it's been there for most of the post-Demon Dean episodes.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Astroman posted:

The show seems to lack a direction this season. Even after the first arc ended, you had Lilith, the Levathan, Sealing Hell, Angel War, etc etc as big objectives. Now it's kinda meandering along with soap opera plots involving Crowley drama, Cas drama, Sam and Dean Mark drama.

It's like they've had such high stakes before they don't have anything else to go for.

In practice that's what Seasons 8 & 9 have been.

Though to be fair, this season there isn't a "big bad", there's just a choice that Dean made and the effects of that choice. In some respects, it's very similar to Season 3 with Dean selling his soul.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
In a way, they're sort of poking fun at the idea they've had where you can resolve the conflict in 4 episodes and it just goes away.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

GreenNight posted:

No, it stays boring for 10 seasons.

Except for the episode titled "Route 666".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

VaultAggie posted:

How are the ratings? I don't really know much about the Nielsen ratings, so I'm curious how well the show actually is doing.

I think they've been fairly constant for the past few years (at least since Season 5 ended), even when they switched timeslots a few times.

If Arrow and Flash continue to do well I could see them wanting to phase it out though (although not before a sequel/spinoff comes in).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Murphy Brownback posted:

Yeah, witch just seems to be the catch-all term for "person who casts bad spells". Sometimes a demon is helping them out to become more powerful, sometimes you have witches like the poker dude who don't seem to have anything to do with hell.

They even mentioned that in the first episode that really showed Rowena.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

mcswizzle posted:

Did they ever explain why crowley is a crimson demon rather than the regular black? Lilith was white, but IIRC even the yellow eyed demon was black smoke. Assuming that was just a cosmetic change they made later, lets assume that YED should've had yellow smoke. That's all of 3 demons we've seen that are significantly different.

Was crowley always a red smoke demon? Before becoming the king of hell?

IIRC all of the Crossroad demons had red eyes so the assumption is that they also have red smoke.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hypocrisy posted:

Charlie episodes have gotten really...not good.

I wonder why the meta episodes have actually stayed pretty good but the Charlie episodes haven't.

Only one Charlie episode has been good.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

mcswizzle posted:

After this I think it'd be OK to have the last episode be super grimdark, leave their survival up in the air, and the after credit stinger be a beach waitress bringing drinks to guys on the beach with names that I can't think of right now but are like the ones they always use as their FBI agent names.

Side note: is FBI agent the default? I miss when they were wildlife enforcement agents, or whatever could be had at the time.

FBI has been the default for the whole show as far as I remember, sometimes they do something different like when they found out Garth was a werewolf.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Theme for the latter half of Season 10: "This thing you're doing never ends well, Sam".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

BIG CITY LAWYER posted:

I thought Castiel got his wings back? When he got his grace back there was a moment where you saw his wing shadow thing again, but I guess that could be dramatic license? I don't even know anymore. The while Styne family plot had me a but bored.

They were the skeleton wings like Gadreel had.

Compare:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Anomalous posted:

No, I think you were right the first time, it looks like there's a few different guns in that trailer, and one of those REALLY looks like the Colt in profile. That would be a hell of a callback from the ether. When was the last time we saw the thing in one piece? The Croatoan quantum leap that Dean took when Sam hypothetically said yes in alterna-future?

The episode where they go back in time to kill the Phoenix was in Season 6.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

raditts posted:

have the power of Detect Evil Books because ????

They actually showed the magic compass they used for that one.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
The issues I have with Supernatural are more due to the promotion of certain characters to the main cast. Like right now there's three main groups of "main cast" members:

Sam & Dean - the hunters, bread & butter of the series

Castiel - the Angels

Crowley - the Demons

The main problem I've had is that the latter two groups don't gel well either with themselves or Sam & Dean, and as a result the stories feel a bit disjointed. Like, you can't just have Castiel with the brothers all the time because it trivializes a whole bunch of problems. You also can't really have Crowley with them because they're ostensibly reluctant allies.

This results in a sort of Game of Thrones situation - each of the three storylines are distinct, but occasionally they intersect with one another (usually during climactic or end of season events). You can work around this but it's a lot harder than the traditional format that worked up until Season 5 or 6.

IMO the demons definitely shouldn't be humanized/portrayed as much as they have been the past two seasons, while Castiel (but not angels in general*) are fine as is but need to be integrated to the story a lot better than they have been.

*Actually I'll say this: the treatment of Heaven this season has been good. You don't really see it except in a special circumstance (a heist) that directly leads to plot relevant material.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Maybe the head trauma from S9 finally caught up to him.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I think it's actually kind of ambiguous as to whether Death actually died or not. Besides, the scythe seems like the type of thing that would be left behind as an artifact.

Comparing the Darkness to Leviathans reminded me, there are still Leviathans out there (albeit unorganized) so a cool episode would be if they found one and couldn't really kill it but just had to redirect it somewhere else.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

DoggPickle posted:

A philosophical debate... Do you think the first ever murder was carried out by a big rock or a pointy stick? Debate :colbert:

It seems to have been a jawbone.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Saveron_01 posted:

Just a thought, perhaps the darkness is where all of the banished ghosts and demons end up after they are exorcised. Get ready for racist truck Mk 2! (driven by Meg)

I hope so.

Maybe they can also get the Seven Deadly Sins back from 7 seasons ago.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Yaos posted:

Out of these 600 seals, only 66 needed to be broken. It took decades of work by demons and angels to get Lucifer out of his cage, yet it took minutes to do the same to break out the darkness.

In fairness they also said the First Seal broken was when Dean decided to start torturing people in Hell. It took a few months at most to get everything done.

Also the particular spell to destroy the Mark used about the most esoteric items you could think of and was written in an encoded book that was also written in an ancient language that God didn't even write. So it's not exactly the easiest thing to do.

Oh and don't even think about when Castiel was or wasn't human.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

BreakAtmo posted:

What about neither of those, but rather just... black. Like, maybe they take a human shape of some sort, but they're literally just pure black silhouettes, no depth, no reflection, essentially no interaction with light, just utterly, purely dark, like walking black holes. It would be cheap at least, and I honestly think that if it was done right it could be really unnerving and warped and wrong-looking, like something that just doesn't belong in reality.

If they do this and the human baddies are just cultists that would be pretty rad.