Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Autumn Angel
Jan 18, 2014

The universe is a big place. For instance, check out this awesome Nasa flash thing:

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap120312.html

Doesn't the size of the universe make you feel a sense of awe? A sense of our futile existence. The feeling that, no matter what we do, that we are ultimately completely unimportant? Perhaps we are just a "Pale Blue Dot" in the cosmos (Carl Sagan).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p86BPM1GV8M

And moreover, that no matter what we post, that

we are gay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt.Sean Luc Picard
Nov 24, 2006
man why you even got to do a thing?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CS7j5I6aOc

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
what if like, people are god's shitpost on the universe man

Autumn Angel
Jan 18, 2014

This is literally the way I feel about astronomy/physics all the time

Cucking Mama
Sep 27, 2013

Gold Medalist, 2014 shit post olympics
I'm completely fine with that and enjoy feeling small :twisted:

Autumn Angel
Jan 18, 2014

Here's a fun one for ya:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galaxy

"There are probably more than 170 billion galaxies in the observable universe."

This is just the observable universe. It's possible that we only observe a very small percentage of all that exists due to the speed limit of light.

ColdReaches
Oct 12, 2013

Place : Detroit
Date : 4031 A.D.
Andromeda galaxy gonna kill us all, build the dyson sphere

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

I am Toni Lippi
Aug 16, 2004
It's as big as I am gay. Like my insatiable need for cock the universe is boundless.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
not as big as op's mom

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

quote:

"Space," it says, "is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mindbogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space, listen..."

ColdReaches
Oct 12, 2013

Why does space exist, math and laws and stuff are proven wrong time and time again about it.

Is space even real?

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Well, it's about to get a whole lot smaller!

e: i dont know what that means i just thought it would sound cool

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
only seems big because you are tiny.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yq4uCWtQE24&t=16s

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

People spend too much time on Minecraft if it is as big as Neptune.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Did you know that anything traveling at the speed of light has an infinite mass and a length of zero?

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky
no its small

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i'm huge compared to a midget or bugs op. owned

Autumn Angel
Jan 18, 2014

Hector Beerlioz posted:

People spend too much time on Minecraft if it is as big as Neptune.

Well Neptune is just a gaseous giant so it's "surface" is probably kind of boring anyway... Not to disprove your point or anything.

Ages
Feb 20, 2005

Its just half the puffin juice and the puffin lives and doesnt mind. I promise!
Fun Shoe
I don't like feeling tiny amid the vastness of the universe. Defund NASA.

Autumn Angel
Jan 18, 2014

No More Heroes posted:

Did you know that anything traveling at the speed of light has an infinite mass and a length of zero?

Oh jesus christ, please tell me this isn't going to turn into a multi page argument over how relativity works.

ColdReaches
Oct 12, 2013

Neptune has a gently caress off hurricane that has 2300 mph winds. neptune owns

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

I like that the universe is huge. It makes me feel less fat when I stand next to it.

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
Once all heat in the universe dissipates (lol heat death), then the universe's size will be undefined. The size of a pinhead or trillions upon trillions of miles, take your pick, it will be the same thing: a singularity, which is how it began.

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

ColdReaches posted:

Satan is also from there.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
http://youtu.be/Omm8K6fhH_A?t=4m51s

What if Earth was found after we blew it all up? What will the green aliens think with their hard thoughts?

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
scroll all the way to the right to see a pic of your mom op

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

http://www.fromquarkstoquasars.com/what-lies-beyond-the-edge-of-the-observable-universe/

quote:

But “infinity” means that, beyond the observable universe, you won’t just find more planets and stars and other forms of material…you will eventually find every possible thing. Every. Possible. Thing. That means that, somewhere out there, there is another person who is identical to you in every possible way. And there is also a you who is only *slightly* different from you in every possible way. They may be reading this article right now; the only difference is that they just picked their nose while you didn’t (or did you?). This notion seems inconceivable. But then, infinity is rather inconceivable.

ugh my head hurts

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Autumn Angel posted:

Here's a fun one for ya:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galaxy

"There are probably more than 170 billion galaxies in the observable universe."

This is just the observable universe. It's possible that we only observe a very small percentage of all that exists due to the speed limit of light.

lmao at anyone who doesnt think there's inevitably extra-terrestrial life

still using 96 Compaq
May 16, 2007
not too smart if you don't not understand this
shut the gently caress up and smoke more weed

Autumn Angel
Jan 18, 2014

Possibly Chicken, just because something is infinite doesn't mean that all things are possible. That is to say, even if the universe is infinite, that doesn't mean that all of your anime fantasies actually exist in reality. Think about it. Infinity doesn't mean you encompass the limits of human imagination.

Cucking Mama
Sep 27, 2013

Gold Medalist, 2014 shit post olympics
cool thread homo

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Considering the large scale structure of the universe, entropy, Godel Incompleteness, evolution, and the brain it wouldn't be surprising if the universe were founded on a never-ending fractal

ColdReaches
Oct 12, 2013

http://imgur.com/a/OTupW

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

ColdReaches posted:

Didn't know that but that it p cool. cool planet that doesn't get enough recognition.

ColdReaches
Oct 12, 2013

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Didn't know that but that it p cool. cool planet that doesn't get enough recognition.

If we ever pull our heads out of our asses neptunes gonna get raped hard by industrialists.

neptune is moe.

Autumn Angel
Jan 18, 2014

Negative Entropy posted:

Considering the large scale structure of the universe, entropy, Godel Incompleteness, evolution, and the brain it wouldn't be surprising if the universe were founded on a never-ending fractal

Isn't Godel's Incompleteness mostly determined with specific areas of theoretical mathematics? As far as I know, the areas of math that deals with modern Physics is complete. And really, that's what this thread is about.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Clicked thread half expecting goatse, a little disappointed it didn't happen TBH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Autumn Angel posted:

Isn't Godel's Incompleteness mostly determined with specific areas of theoretical mathematics? As far as I know, the areas of math that deals with modern Physics is complete. And really, that's what this thread is about.
Godel Incompleteness touches everything, from computing to general relativity. Without Godel Incompleteness we would not have the Church-Turing Thesis and we would not have non-Euclidean geometry. It imposes fundamental epistemiological limits on what we can consider as truth.
Also, physics is far from finished and the standard model is holier than Jesus.
Hoo boy I am a real threadkiller

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Sep 23, 2014

• Locked thread