Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What should we do about the rules of GBS?
This poll is closed.
Add more rules, keep the garbage away 1008 46.73%
Have less rules, things still aren't free enough 389 18.03%
Keep things the same, I like it this way 760 35.23%
Total: 2157 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
Previous to last year, people complained that GBS had too many rules and wasn't fun to post in anymore. Then we got rid of those rules, and now people are saying we need more rules to get rid of all the shitposting. What are your opinions, ideas, and suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

When people post naked picks of ulilia's sister, I think it's time to call it a day on that thread and the posters who are encouraging that kind of behavior.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Probate the people who whine about there being too few rules

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I don't really care what happens as long as it doesn't devolve back into 30 news related threads with posters echoing the same dull opinions. So do whatever makes that not happen?

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
people should stop saying "i'm gay" all the time. except for THS because he really is gay and it would seem kind of homophobic to prevent him from saying that, which could open you up to lawsuits

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

it's really not that hard to skim past/ignore the garbage and i'd rather the forum err towards that side than slip back towards a 1.0 carepost extravaganza. wanting more rules is a symptom of taking the internet too seriously and being a baby.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
we need to be able to post about [REDACTED]

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Gbs has been consistently entertaining over the last year.

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
honestly i really like gbs the way it is

CountButtula
Jan 5, 2014
I'd kind of like fewer rape jokes except for the therapeutic ones

I'd like more people to post pictures of things and or people and not poo poo up threads before there's content, if there is going to be content

I think there should be more rules but you assholes made me laugh out loud like twice today. Maybe people are behaving themselves because you're posting or because mods have been more active recently idk let me get mad at something then get back to you

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Maybe just one doobie thread. You know what they say about the prohibition

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Gbs has been consistently entertaining over the last year.

Indeed. It's been my consistent giggle board.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

it's pretty good now. more rules and we'll just run into the problem of people being afraid to post threads and so everyone (instead of just 75% of GBS posters) will post exclusively in megathreads.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

GrrrlSweatshirt posted:

honestly i really like gbs the way it is

this is actually the way i feel about gbs too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJWM5FmZyqU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

keep the rules as they are, gbs is actually worth reading now

as a matter of fact, there should be a one-week period of New GBS Rules in e/n Bullshit. that would be the best thing ever

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The best balance would probably be looser restrictions on what kind of threads to post than old GBS, but otherwise having the same general post rules as the other forums. Encourage more off-the-wall threads and such. Because of that, there shouldn't be as harsh a penalty for threadshitting as long as it's at least making an effort to be funny and isn't some guy making GBS threads in every thread or whatever.

Basically, make GBS a bit more casual than the other grey forums, but still a bit more "dressed up" than the BYOB-likes.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

We need more good photoshop threads.

Also, when do our health benefits kick in? I thought it was after the 30 waiting period but my doctor says GBS isn't a valid insurer? WTF??

serious post: I think things are good now, good job team.

Serjeant Buzfuz fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Sep 25, 2014

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Gunktacular posted:

We need more good photoshop threads.
Then make more good photoshop threads.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
under the old rules I got probated for 7 days for having the wrong opinion on nuclear power. Its not fun. Let the other forums be serious but let this one be a little crazy but not full on fyad that I cant even understand.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
Less restrictions than 1.0 but slightly more now. Like, no getting nudes of autistic game developer's sisters and the like. I agree with Mega64.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
It's funnier than it has been in years. I think most of us are here for the funny.

Phil Niekro
Jun 4, 2005

gbs should be a place to pal around and bullshit with other posters

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I think a healthy fear of getting banned has been one of the main reasons why SA has been one of the best forums around for like a decade.

itsgotmetoo
Oct 5, 2006

by zen death robot
No loving catchphrases. That was probably the single best rule of old GBS.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
gas more dumb threads and do more 6-hour probations for people who threadshit

banning isn't necessary, long probations aren't necessary, just clean up some of the dumb white noise. funny is funny but the 70000th person who posts :gas: and nothing else on page one of a thread isn't funny and is in fact a big dumb idiot.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

evilpicard posted:

I think a healthy fear of getting banned has been one of the main reasons why SA has been one of the best forums around for like a decade.

yes but mods still step in in gbs 1.4 if someone gets too bad, it's not completely the wild west. and it's not like the place has devolved to the youtube comment section or freep in the past year. i'd say the experiment has been a success.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I think less rules and more "this is what you should expect from GBS" kind of thing, so unfunny people know not to get made about bad posting, preferably in the form of a classic style training video

POSTING... AND YOU
A SOMETHING AWFUL TRAINING INFOFILM

Smokey
Feb 8, 2008
I think that instead of adding more rules, you should just hire funny active moderators who don't take the role too seriously.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I think that spanish manlove does a good job as a moderator of the GBS, I think he does a good job of stepping in on stupid poo poo and saying "stop that stupid poo poo"

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
we should have a monthly vote where we ban white knights and posters who care about rules

e: mainly the problem is unfunny people with social disorders

a whole buncha crows fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Sep 23, 2014

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Let's never go back to the days when posting in GBS required near precient knowledge of the things that made goons and mods angry and having to walk a tightrope around an ever growing list of things you shouldn't do, because that's what happens when you start banning catchphrases and adding rules that have the ability to grow over time with their actual definitions always broadening.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

LifeSizePotato posted:

yes but mods still step in in gbs 1.4 if someone gets too bad, it's not completely the wild west. and it's not like the place has devolved to the youtube comment section or freep in the past year. i'd say the experiment has been a success.

Things seem really good right now. The racism and unfunny spam got mostly ironed out, and threads have content and are entertaining again. I was skeptical when the great upheaval came last year, but current GBS is way more fun than the D&Dlite GBS from before.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

also make it a rule that if your thread starts with "ITT we are " then you lose the ability to post new topics because none of those threads are ever funny

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i think the rules need to be constantly updated in order to prevent people from running words and phrase into the ground
ex: cuck, unfunny jokes about jews, slamwhale (holy grail), five golden manbabies, goon sir, you owe me a new keyboard
all these phrase should remain or become probatable

also people should be probated for making extremely lame puns.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

President Ark posted:

also make it a rule that if your thread starts with "ITT we are " then you lose the ability to post new topics because none of those threads are ever funny

I think that those sorts of threads die off on their own, don't worry about it. Like there are zero "ITT we are " threads on the first page right now so calm your tits. Let the free market work. And then sometimes the iron fist of the espagnol mano amore regulates it.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Christmas Miracle posted:

i think the rules need to be constantly updated in order to prevent people from running words and phrase into the ground
ex: cuck, unfunny jokes about jews, slamwhale (holy grail), five golden manbabies, goon sir, you owe me a new keyboard

god yes

quote:

:frogout:

CountButtula
Jan 5, 2014

Christmas Miracle posted:

I think a moderately arbitrary and rapidly rotating series of rules are the way to go

President Ark
May 16, 2010

CountButtula posted:

I think a moderately arbitrary and rapidly rotating series of rules are the way to go

yeah, probably. maybe a peewee's playhouse secret word style thing which gets rotated out every couple weeks corresponding to whatever dumb word goons have latched onto then.

first word: "cuck"

keep probations for this 6hours and have the reason for them all be gifs of peewee's playhouse

e: and don't actually tell people what the word is until after the fact

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

SHISHKABOB posted:

I think that those sorts of threads die off on their own, don't worry about it. Like there are zero "ITT we are " threads on the first page right now so calm your tits. Let the free market work. And then sometimes the iron fist of the espagnol mano amore regulates it.

This thread lasted on it's own steam for at least 4 months. So that doesn't always work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

SHISHKABOB posted:

I think that spanish manlove does a good job as a moderator of the GBS, I think he does a good job of stepping in on stupid poo poo and saying "stop that stupid poo poo"
:agreed:

and I'm not sure I agree about "more rules against threadshitting." That really depends on what the specific rules are. In my mind that's just going to lead to having the "posting kings" of old GBS who no one can talk poo poo about/disagree with or risk getting probated.

• Locked thread