Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Rocksicles posted:

He'll be good, just laying down the law early. Plus that baby isn't there, pretty sure we all know that. It's his little thing that keeps him alive and thinking.

Well Jaha is crazy. I still can't get over that he was sober while he came up with the whole "crash the entire station from orbit and hope we know which 2% survive" plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
It would be cool if they tried multiple tropes at the same time.

We've kind of got Fallout happening on the ground, but a space horror thing happening would also be cool. Like have it that he isn't actually alone up there. Maybe a medical experiment has escaped or something.

I just can't fathom a way/reason to keep Jaha around any more otherwise. He sacrificed himself to save the others and they've even named their camp after him so he'l be referenced throughout the rest of the series. We've seen his backstory and his main reason for living (his son) is dead. Unless there's some extra McGuffin on the station he's redundant.

So gently caress it. Let's go nuts and have a subplot about him on the space station that's completely unrelated to the main plot, give him a monster to fight against and if it's liked spin it off into its own series, if not kill him and focus only on the ground folks.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Party Plane Jones posted:

Considering he's one person on a station that used to hold a couple thousand and in a section that had probably a hundred plus people he'd be fine for a while.

I'm disappointed that Kane reverts right back to being a huge dick after landing. He had some pretty good character growth in the first season.

The whole point of them abandoning the station was that it is totally hosed - life support has failed or is just about to, power is minimal, everything is broken and lots of people had already died thanks to former Chancellor Blondie McSuicide blasting off in a drop ship that was still attached to the Ark.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Xoidanor posted:

Well Jaha is crazy. I still can't get over that he was sober while he came up with the whole "crash the entire station from orbit and hope we know which 2% survive" plan.

Two percent is better than zero.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
There is a heavy stink if ulterior motives in the air when it comes to the vault dwellers. If they knew about the Ark why didn't they attempt to establish contact before now? My vote is that the chocolate cake is actually soylent cake and that they worship an unused nuclear warhead with a gold omega symbol on it.

Spokklefant
Aug 16, 2005
Spokkle! Spokkle!

Fermented Tinal posted:

There is a heavy stink if ulterior motives in the air when it comes to the vault dwellers. If they knew about the Ark why didn't they attempt to establish contact before now? My vote is that the chocolate cake is actually soylent cake and that they worship an unused nuclear warhead with a gold omega symbol on it.

I bet they want those sweet radiation resistance genes.

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

Spokklefant posted:

I bet they want those sweet radiation resistance genes.

I'm thinking that also and wondering if they plan to harvest bone marrow or eggs and sperm unless it's going to be a future eugenics thing.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I burned through this show after Deadpool had good things to say about it. Congrats CW, you now have me in the bag for three shows.

Jaha is totally gonna crash into Mt. Weather with his baby-powered escape pad and rescue Clarke and co. Only then will he have some more scotch.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Fermented Tinal posted:

Yeah, they're way too good to be true. I'm just waiting to see what their dark secret is - we already had cannibals so that can't be it. Something to do with radiation resistance I guess but it's not like the Ark people wouldn't be voluntarily inclined to have sex with the vault dwellers and I'm pretty sure you can't transfer radiation resistance by organ harvesting or whatever...

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Fermented Tinal posted:

I hope it doesn't go this all-too-predictable route. It would be way better if the vault dwellers were generally honest and genuine but heavily tempered by xenophobia. Then Clarke fucks it all up, like Astroman said.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Clarke has a pretty good reason to not trust anyone considering every other form of government she's dealt with has been pretty horrible.

Spokklefant
Aug 16, 2005
Spokkle! Spokkle!

DarkCrawler posted:

Yeah, they're way too good to be true. I'm just waiting to see what their dark secret is - we already had cannibals so that can't be it. Something to do with radiation resistance I guess but it's not like the Ark people wouldn't be voluntarily inclined to have sex with the vault dwellers and I'm pretty sure you can't transfer radiation resistance by organ harvesting or whatever...

If they didn't know about the Ark, then I would guess that their behavior is to be expected. They've lived under ground for years, and the only other humans they know about are the whats-their-face. They've finally found civilized people who are more or less just like them. If anything they're trying to act their best in order to get them to join up. Having radiation resistant people to wander the wasteland would be pretty sweet for the vault dwellers. They can go get more art.

But I'm sure the show has some bad twist in place.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Even if they're not awful to Ark people they might have some terrible history with the grounders, considering how afraid they are of them.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

If the Mt. Weather people can't open the door without killing everyone...how do they get outside? Another door with an airlock?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Probably a backdoor that doesn't kill everyone.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

hollylolly posted:

If the Mt. Weather people can't open the door without killing everyone...how do they get outside? Another door with an airlock?

Places like that would have decontamination rooms that bridge off the exterior door into an interior airlock area generally, yeah. Here's how the Greenbrier's system worked: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZoj6WvvMh0

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

hollylolly posted:

Unless it's a lie and they can go outside :tinfoil:

But yea, I hope they are honest and Clarke fucks everything up. Then Jaha crashes whats left of the ark on them.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

:siren: New Episode Tonight :siren:

S2 E2 - Inclement Weather

A suspicious Clarke confronts President Dante Wallace and demands answers. Kane interrogates one of The 100, and Abby performs emergency surgery. Meanwhile, Octavia resorts to violence to find Lincoln.

Places like that would have decontamination rooms that bridge off the exterior door into an interior airlock area generally, yeah. Here's how the Greenbrier's system worked: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZoj6WvvMh0

Cool, thanks. :)

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Well that's a decent way to recycle sets.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

An opening?

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Whoa, opening credits

Edit: You think they could find something for her to at least bite down on during surgery.

kdrudy fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Oct 30, 2014

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Argh, they Saint Sebastian'ed us!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Xoidanor posted:

Yes this is a man who is going to save a magic baby by riding a missile down to the surface.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Kwyndig posted:

Yes this is a man who is going to save a magic baby by riding a missile down to the surface.

The US tried the world's fastest postal delivery system by using an ICBM so it is possible. Probably need way less propellant from orbit to Earth as well.

Edit: hah, it's a hallucination

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Oct 30, 2014

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This is a weird plot.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

I want every week to be "What crazy thing will Jaha do next?"

And he is getting space madness

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

kdrudy posted:

I want every week to be "What crazy thing will Jaha do next?"

And he is getting space madness

Space Madness is a terrible thing.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The US tried the world's fastest postal delivery system by using an ICBM so it is possible. Probably need way less propellant from orbit to Earth as well.

Edit: hah, it's a hallucination

Told you, magic baby.

Also holy poo poo what do they do to these people?

Edit: They harvest grounders!

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Oct 30, 2014

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I don't think that's how dialysis works!

Also, I was going to say I was surprised that we didn't get Clarke in a cleavage revealing top this week except there was that downshirt shot of her when she was going through the vent.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

:aaaaa:

Well that was hosed up. I didn't expect them to be harvesting grounders for their blood. I guess it heals them / keeps them alive longer?

I did love Jaha riding the missile to freedom. I just want him to make it to base camp by riding a series of weapons. Tank shells, drones, whatever

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I'm still holding out on the Mount Weather guys being morally ambiguous.

OK, they are draining the blood of Grounders to make it into magic healing blood to stay alive. That's pretty bad. On the other hand:

1. They are doing what they have to to survive

2. Grounders are pretty much savages who impale people to trees at the drop of a hat

3. The Ark people have done some pretty questionable things to survive as well--airlocking their people for the slightest crimes--including having an extra kid, culling 300 people, sending 100 children down to die. They also only ever intended for 25% of their people to make it to Earth in a best case scenario.

From the point of view of the MtWx folks, I'd bet they'd see the Ark people as pretty evil and I don't blame them for not wanting the Ark adults to come in for tea and cake. And those are only the things we know of. They knew Clarke's name--have they been monitoring Ark transmissions or video feeds for years, maybe using some legacy NSA programs in the US sections of the Ark? There could be even worse stuff in the past--what the 12 surviving nations did to the 13th for example. And while Jaha is a great leader (with the exception of his martyr complex), we know at least one of his predecessors was an rear end in a top hat.

I'd love to see an episode recapping the past century from the pov of the MtWx survivors.

Also did anybody else see an homage to Beneath the Planet of the Apes with the busts on plinths in that white corridor?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Clarke's mum though, am i right?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
So where is Jaha now, the ruins on NYC based on the (awesome) new opening credits? I guess that's not too far off.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Astroman posted:

I'm still holding out on the Mount Weather guys being morally ambiguous.

OK, they are draining the blood of Grounders to make it into magic healing blood to stay alive. That's pretty bad. On the other hand:

1. They are doing what they have to to survive

2. Grounders are pretty much savages who impale people to trees at the drop of a hat

3. The Ark people have done some pretty questionable things to survive as well--airlocking their people for the slightest crimes--including having an extra kid, culling 300 people, sending 100 children down to die. They also only ever intended for 25% of their people to make it to Earth in a best case scenario.

From the point of view of the MtWx folks, I'd bet they'd see the Ark people as pretty evil and I don't blame them for not wanting the Ark adults to come in for tea and cake. And those are only the things we know of. They knew Clarke's name--have they been monitoring Ark transmissions or video feeds for years, maybe using some legacy NSA programs in the US sections of the Ark? There could be even worse stuff in the past--what the 12 surviving nations did to the 13th for example. And while Jaha is a great leader (with the exception of his martyr complex), we know at least one of his predecessors was an rear end in a top hat.
Did like that Jasper called out Clarke in this episode. And is that actually Miller? I swear they could've replaced him and I wouldn't have noticed, don't know if I recognize him without all the dirt and sweat slathered on top of the hobo wear they made the kids wear last season. Hoping they have less straight up redshirts and the other kids don't just become fodder, like the two following Bellamy and Finn from the premiere last week (them cowards :argh:)

But yeah, hopefully Clarke comes to her senses a bit but I was wondering where Anya went and it's still a lovely situation all around so Clarke doesn't really have much to stand on since the Ark adults are pretty much huge dicks for the most part (okay, Kane, but he's back in charge) and her people (the kids) are pretty lovely nonetheless.

Octavia getting to be badass was pretty cool too.

Teek posted:

So where is Jaha now, the ruins on NYC based on the (awesome) new opening credits? I guess that's not too far off.
Yeah hoping he's still on the eastern seaboard but I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted to crash land Jaha somewhere else to open up the world a bit beyond Mt. Weather and the surrounding area.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

I'm pretty sure that was the Brooklyn Bridge behind him in the wide shot.

Thy had me going for a while there. Jaha is trying to chase down the crying to find the baby...maybe he's hallucinating. Finds baby, oh maybe he isn't. Baby has chess piece...leaning back toward hallucination. Then the while elaborate spacesuit sling for the baby had me convinced it was all real and then he slammed down on his belly when he got through to the otherwise and IT WAS A HALLUCINATION. Ya got me, show. Ya got me.

And of course Jaha could ride a middle down to earth. It would have killed anyone else but the universe won't let him die.

Are the Mt. Weatherites actually cycling their blood through grounders bodies or just draining the Grounders into themselves? That was pretty crazy.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

hollylolly posted:

I'm pretty sure that was the Brooklyn Bridge behind him in the wide shot.

Thy had me going for a while there. Jaha is trying to chase down the crying to find the baby...maybe he's hallucinating. Finds baby, oh maybe he isn't. Baby has chess piece...leaning back toward hallucination. Then the while elaborate spacesuit sling for the baby had me convinced it was all real and then he slammed down on his belly when he got through to the otherwise and IT WAS A HALLUCINATION. Ya got me, show. Ya got me.

And of course Jaha could ride a middle down to earth. It would have killed anyone else but the universe won't let him die.

Are the Mt. Weatherites actually cycling their blood through grounders bodies or just draining the Grounders into themselves? That was pretty crazy.

Almost certain its draining, otherwise why suspend the Grounders upside down.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
This show starts to approach Continuum levels of quality. I'm loving how they've made three distinct factions and how we're starting to see more Grounders and their culture as well - anyone recognize the non-English language they speak?

My favorite scenes were the Ark people coming down to take things in order, Kane interrogating Bellamy was great.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
This show is almost Game of Thronsian now, following all these different characters in different places. Plus the fancy new opening credits.

There's a potentially very interesting set up with the 3 factions of Weather people, Grounders, and Ark people. Each of them has reason to oppose each other one and it's not immediately clear who the "good guys" are, if any.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
With all the world building and BSG alum in the show now I'm totally okay with treating this like some kinda BSG sequel.

Also as far as mountain men go, I'm 100% sure as far as ark kids go they just want their genes. The grounders get drained because like President Arlo said, they're "savages."

Tokubetsu fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Tokubetsu posted:

With all the world building and BSG alum in the show now I'm totally okay with treating this like some kinda BSG sequel.

Wait, who's a BSG alum? Did I miss someone? I saw Benny from Supernatural and Sierra from Doll House.

Oh wait, Sinclair. I forgot about him because I never see him.

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 30, 2014

• Locked thread