Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

JosefStalinator posted:

Actually, the one thing OOTP doesn't do that Baseball Mogul has down a bit better is financing/building new baseball parks.

It's not that OOTP doesn't have parks and dimensions, it's just that if we ever wanted to move the team, we just edit the team's information with a new city, and just edit the park, and instantly it changes.

Which reminds me, if anyone has any preferences for park dimensions or characteristics, feel free to post it. I.e: Retractable dome, astroturf, pitcher-friendly, hitter friendly, etc.

It's pretty obvious that free market is everyone's desire, so I'll get the ball rolling on the next step when I have time later tonight.

Pitcher friendly. That's all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
POST EXPLAINING GAME MECHANICS INCOMING

: Looks like the guys in design managed to crank out a better logo. Let's see how it looks on our boys.

: Looks pretty drat good. I took the liberty of changing our team colors to red because, well, it's a pretty drat good color too. The Turks seemed to like it.

Something strange is happening on the front of the uniforms, but hey, this is a new league. Let's give em a bit of slack for now and be grateful we have the best drat logo of all the Arabs.
Anyways, back to the draft.

: Alright voices. We get first pick. Before we pick, let's talk a bit of strategy.

One thing we gotta remember, is that when it comes to players of equal skill, some positions are a bit harder to find than others. They call this "positional scarcity". Good hitting first basemen are a dime a dozen, and honestly, they don't need to throw well or do much well other than sit still and catch the ball. Catchers though, now they're great finds. Positional scarcity goes in this order:

1. Catcher
2. Shortstop
3. Second Baseman
4. Center Fielder
5. Third Baseman
6. Right Fielder
7. Left Fielder
8. First Baseman

So, if we are drafting and got two equally good choices, a great catcher will benefit us more than most outfielders or third basemen.

Before we look at the player list, let's also remember the abbreviations and what they stand for.

Catcher - C
Shortstop - SS
Second Baseman - 2B
Center Fielder - CF
Third Baseman – 3B
Right Fielder - RF
Left Fielder - LF
First Baseman – 1B
Starting Pitcher – SP
Middle Reliever – MR
Closer – CL

Alright, one last thing. We got a scouting director, and drat it if he isn't just awful.

: Right now, we need to scout the majors. And look at that - he's just "okay" at scouting the majors. I don't know what they do in Egypt, but by gone it in American baseball we don't just settle at okay. This bastard is the one who can tell us how good the players we might draft are - not only how good they are now, but also what their potential is.

The potential and overall ratings he gives us are pretty straightforward. They vary from 20 to 80, with 80 being an absolutely elite player, and 20 being a permanent minor leaguer. The only difference is that overall measures how good a player is right now, while potential indicates how good they might become once they develop a bit. Neither is perfectly accurate - some guys end up fizzling out, while others transform from 20 to 80 guys overnight without expectations.

Our scouting director is the one who determines the accuracy of those things. But he's poo poo. So we won't know if we're really drafting great players, or if we draft duds. Unfortunately, we can't do poo poo about this now - hiring a new guy would take longer than the day we are allotted for the draft. While I've got my eye on an improvement, for now we just gotta accept some degree of uncertainty.

: Now that that's covered, let's look at our options.

: drat. We got some hard choices. Let's talk a bit of strategy real fast, cause there's a couple things to think of when drafting that is immediately obvious.

First off, as much fun as it would be to draft a 6'4", 250 pound 36 year old Sudanese man, that might not be our best bet. We are picking our star, the guy we want locked down in our organization for some time, who will either be the ace of our staff or the guy hitting in the middle of the order.

Pick someone young - young as possible is best, but as the draft goes on we can't be as picky. Players usually hit their prime around 25-8, and start to decline around 33-35. But every player is different - some guys get hit by 30 like a truck, while others can play into their 50's. They might be salvaged for a while playing first base, or going to DH in the other league.

For now I've filtered out all the relief pitchers - they aren't worth our time yet.

Taking a look at this, I think we have about 2 pitchers and 4 hitters that could be candidates for our first pick. I'm gonna look at a hitter and a pitcher first real quick to explain the mechanics, then I'll just tell ya the numbers and you voices can work it out amongst yourselves.

Here's my personal favorite of the hitters available. His name is Bala Tavukcu.

: :wow:

This guys is impressive. Let's go window by window, left to right. These ratings are all 1-100, unlike overall/potential, which are 20-80.

Personal Details:

First off, he's 24. That's great - he'll last a good long time, and may even be in our organization for another 10-15 years.
The other things aren't too much concern right now - he's a switch hitter, which might be useful, but the other stats are just flavor.

Personality:

I won't go too much into the mechanics of personality, but it does tell us a bit about them. Here's more information. He's smart, so less likely to cheat, but lacks work ethic and may go into slumps.

Defensive Ratings:

Skip right down to the position ratings, don't worry about infield range, arm, or any of that.

:drat:. A good second baseman is hard to come by, and it's one of the most valuable positions defensively. He can probably also be converted to SS or 3B easily, as you can see by his ratings. Technically these are not his only limits - this just shows what the player has experience doing. With practice, he'd probably make a decent outfielder as well. Pretty much any player can play first base with some competency. As players get old, you can shift them down that positional scarcity chart to gradually easier positions, with some limitations. This guy can do anything but catch, which is highly specialized.

Basic Batting Ratings:

Here's the important stuff. Let's go through category by category.

Contact: Contact determines a player's ability to hit the ball and reach base safely. High contact hitters have very high average. This guy is elite - I have to say, I may be a bit biased, but his contact is something special.
Gap Power: Gap power determines a player's ability to hit the ball into the gaps. Players with high gap power (and speed) get more doubles and triples. 66 isn't shabby at all.
Home Run Power: This determines a player's ability to hit Home Runs. More dingers is great, but this guy won't hit many out of the park at all. Players with high HR power hit many Home Runs.
Eye/Discipline: This determines a player's ability to determine what pitches are being thrown, and also where they're going in the strike zone. Players with good eye/discipline will hit better because they'll judge pitches better, and they'll walk more. This is an underrated stat - and this guy excels at it. Expect a high On Base Percentage.
Avoid K's: This determines a player's ability to avoid striking out. Where this differs from Eye/Discipline is that players with high Avoid K's will ground out our foul instead of striking out, tiring out opposing pitchers and moving base runners over. A good stat which again, this guy excels at.

Other Ratings

Speed: Speed is how fast a player can run. Their stealing and baserunning stats just determine how good they are at stealing bases, and how likely they will be to do things like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spx9ZeSYVTU. High speed means more stolen bases, and with this guy's ability to get on base, he'll probably lead the league in SB's each season.

:bunt:: Bunting is nice, but don't worry about it too much.

Overall Take: This guy is elite. He's my favorite for first pick among the hitters, that's for sure. Contact hitting, discipline, speed, he's a manager's wet dream.

: But, something could be said for picking a pitcher first. An ace pitcher will come out once every five days and dominate for most of the game, and a case could be made that their individual impact is greater than any hitter. So let's look at the best pitcher on the list. Also gives me a chance to explain any of the stats unique to them.

Here's Tankut Yamak.

Defensive Ratings

Technically different than a hitter, a pitcher does have defensive ratings. While a great defensive pitcher is nice, in the end, their ability to pitch will overcome any deficiencies they have in fielding. They aren't designed to be defensive, but Yamak certainly won't mess up any routine plays.

Pitching Ratings

Stuff: This is a bit complex, but overall, this is the most important stat. It's dependent upon their individual pitch ratings and velocity. High stuff means more outs, fewer hits, and a lot more strikeouts. This guy is elite and will rack up tons of strikeouts.
Movement: This determines the movement on the pitches that the pitcher throws. This is especially important if they're dependent upon curveballs, but impacts all their pitches. High movement pitchers will give up fewer home runs overall, and just pitch better.
Control: Almost as important as stuff, control determines a pitcher's ability to get the ball to the location he is aiming for. Pitchers with high control issue fewer walks, and since they hit their targets, will be better overall in allowing hits and getting strikeouts.

The individual pitch ratings aren't that important, since they're factored into the 3 previous ratings. Starting pitchers will need more than one or two good pitches to be successful, typically. Closers and relievers may be able to rely on one really good pitch.

Other Ratings

Type: This ranges from flyball pitchers to groundball pitchers. Groundball pitchers need good defensive players behind them in the infield, as they get players to hit weakly into outs. Flyball pitchers need decent outfielders to catch fly balls, but risk giving up HR's in some parks. Don't stress about this too much.
Velocity: This is the speed of a pitcher's pitches. High velocity makes fastballs better, though this is less important for pitches like changeups. Useful for measuring whether an older player is losing steam, as his velocity often goes down. High velocity typically equals more strikeouts (if the rest of their stuff is good).
Stamina: This stat is really important for starters. High stamina means the pitcher can stay in a game longer and throw more pitches before getting tired. This guy is a bit mediocre in that regard, and it may be the one flaw I can find in him.

Overall, this guy is amazing, and worth a first pick.

Also, each player has an injury proneness rating, that measures how likely they will be to get hurt. In order, from likelihood a player will get hurt:

Fragile-Normal-Durable-Iron Man.

It's generally better to pick players who won't spend half the season on the disabled list, but of course, it's not a guarantee. It didn't fit in the picture, so I added it in myself for you.

: Well voices, that should be all you need to know. I'll show you each player's stats one more time, and you guys choose which one you prefer.

Don't worry, each update won't be this long and technical, I just wanted to explain the game's mechanics. I'll likely give you guys a few options to choose from for another round or two, then fill out the rest myself or through the auto-draft.

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 29, 2014

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
:siren: Vote on our first overall pick from the following options :siren:.

Read the previous post for advice if you wanna win.

Second Baseman, Bala Tuvakcu

Injury Proneness: Durable.

Overall: :wow: Elite contact hitter, high OBP, speed. My first choice among hitters. Only flaw is he won't hit any dingers ever.

Shortstop Harb Najm al-Din

Injury History: Durable.

Overall: Elite player at an extremely scarce position. Slightly better defensively than Tuvacku at SS due to better infield arm. More balanced hitter that would make a typically unproductive position extremely useful.

Third Baseman, Baariq Baruti

Injury Proneness: Durable.

Overall: Good 3B, more balanced hitter with great power and contact hitting. great defensively. Lacks a bit in discipline

Catcher, Abdul Bin-Ya'Qub

Injury Proneness: Durable

Overall: Elite Power, best value comes from positional scarcity of elite catchers. High strikeout rate means he'll lead the league in HR's and strikeouts. A bit older than other candidates.

Starting Pitcher, Tankut Yamak

Injury Proneness: Durable

Overall: Elite in virtually every stat, with a dominant fastball and secondary pitches for strikeouts and groundouts alike. Only flaw is mediocre stamina. By far the best pitcher in the draft.

Starting Pitcher, Zayd Abdul

Injury Proneness: Normal

Overall: This guy's stuff is absolutely amazing. Will lead the league in strikeouts, with a filthy fastball that makes his stuff go beyond 100. Big concern is the mediocre control, which means he may walk a lot of batters. Pick this guy if you love strikeouts more than winning. Also slightly younger.

:siren:VOTE AWAY!:siren:

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 29, 2014

GoldenPrice
Oct 2, 2013
Even though i would really like to pick the pitcher, the Second Baseman, Bala Tuvakcu is just slightly better.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Yeah, the 2B is probably the best bet right now.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Gotta go with the Catcher, Abdul Bin-Ya Qub

All dingers all the time

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Voting 2B. As much as I love the catcher, he's "already" 27; in 3 years he potentially hits the 30 wall and we'll be looking for a new catcher. I feel like we can find a great catcher in 6 years with Bala more than we can find a great 2B in 3 years with Abdul.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
I would go with Tankut Yamak. OOTP's AI loves going with pitching early and often in drafts. Since this is a serpentine draft, chances are we are going to miss out on quality starting pitching by the time our second pick rolls around.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
2B or not 2B, Lets go with 2B. He's also an extremely popular Turk!

Also, here the logo without the white background if you need it.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

:siren: Do not ignore fielding range.:siren:

I strongly recommend drafting Bala Tavukcu. He is listed as a 2b but he can play shortstop if we don't have better options later. That's good range for a SS, the arm is a little meh and he might make a few errors more than we'd like but I think he'll make up for it with his range. See my note below about positional ratings. In most leagues, Tavukcu has the kind of ratings that will make him a top OBP guy with a great batting average and a whole lot of extra base hits. Depending on the quality of catcher defense in the league, he could also be among the league leaders in stolen bases.

I understand the comment about Tankut Yamak and it's a good point but, if we can piece together a good defense and offense, we can get by with an average pitching staff.

Catcher, Abdul Bin-Ya'Qub - this guy's going to strike out a lot. He has a decent eye but not the best contact rating. I don't think he'll be as valuable as Tavukcu. I could be wrong.

Here's my rundown of how I view ratings. This isn't intended to be any sort of correction to what was posted earlier but I figured more good (I hope it's good) information is never a bad thing:

Batting ratings:
1. Contact - has the highest correlation to .wOBA/OBP. Contact rating has a hidden BABIP competent that you can't see unless you open the player editor panel but it's what separates good hitters from great hitters and the contact rating usually reflects this
2. Eye - This is directly related to the amount of walks the player will take. A player with an extremely high Eye rating can make up for a below average contact rating by taking a lot of walks.
3. Power - Dingers. In a vacuum, a player with a high power rating but poor ratings elsewhere will still hit home runs but isn't as valuable as a high OBP guy.
4. a.Fielding range - this is the single most important competent in determining how many balls a player gets to. I prefer shortstops/center fielders with 75 or more range (on the 1-100 scale) since they will really help hold down the opposing teams' BABIP. You can create a team that ends up #1 in runs allowed by murdering BABIP with great fielders while forgoing great pitching (but great defenders might not be able to hit so well...)
4. b. Fielding arm - You usually want players with 50 or higher in arm to play the left side of the infield
4. c. Fielding errors - errors are bad but the first two ratings really determine where a player plays. If you have a player with an extremely high score in errors, they can actually make up for poor range but it practically needs to be in the 90's or higher in my experience to make up for the range
4. d. Turn DP - If a player has a very low rating here, they cannot play in the middle of the infield effectively
5. Avoid K's - if a player has an extremely low rating here, their strikeouts will start to drag down their offense but it's all relative to their other hitting ratings.
6. Gap - This only determines what percentage of the player's non-HR hits go for extra bases. This has virtually no impact on the players ability to reach base. [Side note: In OOTP's park factors, the 1B/2B/3B ratings are dependant on each other. If you have a low 2B/3B factor, it won't affect the batting average of players in the park, it will merely limit the amount of hits that go for extra base hits and vice versa.]

Pitching:
You either want to look at Stuff->Movement->Control or Control->Movement->Stuff and the way these work together. Low movement pitchers (especially starters) will get hammered for home runs in hitter friendly parks.

Things to ignore:
1. The position OOTP thinks the player should play - OOTP puts too much value on the player's rating at a position. It takes experience with OOTP to figure this out but a player gains points at a position as they play it so (hypothetically) you really want to start that 80 range left fielder with decent avoid errors rating and a little experience in center field in center field instead of the 60 range center fielder with a perfect rating at center field. The 80 range guy will probably be the better option in the long run and he'll learn the position over time. Players who have no skill in the outfield can't play outfield and vice versa with infield and catcher but positional rating is over-rated as long as they have some skill at the position and the peripheral skills to play the position in my opinion.
2. To some extent, look beyond overall rating and potential - OOTP overvalues things like speed in hitters and stamina in pitchers. Overall score is great for looking at the different tiers of players but a 45 rating player may be a lot better than a 55 player. You need to look at how the individual ratings work together. In the leagues I've been in, Contact rating actually correlated better to .wOBA/OBP and WAR than Overall rating. That could be the way OOTP calculates wOBA and WAR or something I'm doing wrong but overall rating is not a great guide other than separating players into different tiers.
3. Catcher arm - I mean a terrible rating here leads to poor RTO% but guys with really high ratings often end up throwing out about the same number of runners as guys with worse ratings for some reason.

These are my preferences based on playing OOTP for years (and in a lot more online leagues than I'd like to admit to) but I know other people's strategies vary.

TL/DR: You just want to look at how ratings work together to define a player and look at the stats players put up over time and how those relate to ratings for yourself rather than accepting what OOTP thinks you should do with a player. Since we're just doing one season here (I think?) some of these things are less relevant but I thought I'd just share this for newer players.

If you want to see how this all comes together, you can check out this league: http://www.redraftleague.com/game/lgreports3/news/html/leagues/league_100_home.html which uses a 1-100 scale for player ratings.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Sep 29, 2014

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
Definitely go with the 2B. He looks good, and is young enough to stick around for awhile.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Not sure if it's modeled by the game, but a popular Turkish player could win us a lot of fans for the Constantinoples.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!
I was going to go with the SP, but he's 26 already and the extra couple of years from a truly ้lite 2B nails it. We're building a legacy here, people...

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
My first inclination is to vote for the pitcher -- because I'm British, know nothing about baseball, and am aware that a top-notch bowler is an absolutely vital weapon in a cricket match. But the people who seem to know what they're talking about clearly favour the 2B chap. So 2B it is.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

ForeverBWFC posted:

We're building a Turkish legacy here, people...

Fixed that for you...

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Ghostwoods posted:

My first inclination is to vote for the pitcher -- because I'm British, know nothing about baseball, and am aware that a top-notch bowler is an absolutely vital weapon in a cricket match. But the people who seem to know what they're talking about clearly favour the 2B chap. So 2B it is.

The SP is probably the second best choice out there, and it's a fairly close thing. If Eckersley turns out to be right and we end up with poo poo for our ace pitcher by the time the second pick rolls around, then we might have some problems, and I see no real reason why he should turn out to be wrong, given that he's got experience and I don't.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

TheMcD posted:

The SP is probably the second best choice out there, and it's a fairly close thing. If Eckersley turns out to be right and we end up with poo poo for our ace pitcher by the time the second pick rolls around, then we might have some problems, and I see no real reason why he should turn out to be wrong, given that he's got experience and I don't.

Neither is a bad choice. The case against the SP is that he's already 26 so the 24 year old has more time ahead of him.

One thing that we aren't really discussing that Stalinator brought up is that our scouting director isn't very good. All of the ratings could be off slightly :negative: so I'd also advise making the scouting director mysteriously disappear firing that scouting director as soon as a better one is available.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
I'd vote for the SP (or the 3B) myself, but 45 stamina seems pretty awful, like a 5.0 IP/"hope you have a robust bullpen" thing.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

tadashi posted:

One thing that we aren't really discussing that Stalinator brought up is that our scouting director isn't very good. All of the ratings could be off slightly :negative: so I'd also advise making the scouting director mysteriously disappear firing that scouting director as soon as a better one is available.

I thought the idea with the scouting director was "well, he's poo poo, but we can't get a new one before the draft is over, so we'll deal with that later".

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

TheMcD posted:

I thought the idea with the scouting director was "well, he's poo poo, but we can't get a new one before the draft is over, so we'll deal with that later".

That's all I meant. I don't think good staff members come around very often when you first start a league, either.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I would like to see the stats for that 25 year old shortstop before voting, considering an elite shortstop is about a billion times more valuable than an elite 2B. I would recommend anyone who already voted but is still paying attention consider changing their vote as well if he turns out to be a good hitter.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 29, 2014

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

I would like to see the stats for that 25 year old shortstop before voting, considering an elite shortstop is about a billion times more valuable than an elite 2B. I would recommend anyone who already voted but is still paying attention consider changing their vote as well if he turns out to be a good hitter.

Oof. I didn't even see that. I'd like to see that, too. I assume Stalinator saw something he didn't like but it's probably best to check him out.

Ghostwoods posted:

In most cases a starting pitcher only pitches once every 5 games which is why players in the field are considered more valuable (sometimes in OOTP you can get away with a 4 man pitching rotation but it's not realistic). Pitchers are also more prone to injuries that will take them out for a whole season (like an elbow or shoulder injury) or more which is why batters are also usually considered less risky. There are no absolutes (one of the MVPs in Major League Baseball this year will probably be a pitcher for the Dodgers), this is just a bias most baseball fans have for these and other reasons.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 29, 2014

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

tadashi posted:

Oof. I didn't even see that. I'd like to see that, too. I assume Stalinator saw something he didn't like but it's probably best to check him out.
That was my guess as well but even if he's not an elite hitter there's a reason he's an 80 grade and defense at shortstop is worth so much that it definitely deserves a look.

quote:

(sometimes in OOTP you can get away with a 4 man pitching rotation but it's not realistic)
:q:

(The conditions to pull this off properly honestly require either a ton of trades, a year or two of building, or a fantasy draft where nobody manages to mess up your plans.)

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

tadashi posted:

:siren: Do not ignore fielding range.:siren:

I strongly recommend drafting Bala Tavukcu. He is listed as a 2b but he can play shortstop if we don't have better options later. That's good range for a SS, the arm is a little meh and he might make a few errors more than we'd like but I think he'll make up for it with his range. See my note below about positional ratings. In most leagues, Tavukcu has the kind of ratings that will make him a top OBP guy with a great batting average and a whole lot of extra base hits. Depending on the quality of catcher defense in the league, he could also be among the league leaders in stolen bases.

More good stuff

This is a good post. Do not ignore it.

IcePhoenix posted:

Ask and ye shall receive.

Shortstop Harb Najm al-Din

Injury History: Durable.

I mainly didn't include him because he's inferior to Tuvakcu in every way except power. In fact, Tuvakcu is actually better at SS (if he maxes out experience) than this guy would be, and Tuvakcu can hit better and is faster as well.

tadashi posted:

In most cases a starting pitcher only pitches once every 5 games which is why players in the field are considered more valuable (sometimes in OOTP you can get away with a 4 man pitching rotation but it's not realistic). Pitchers are also more prone to injuries that will take them out for a whole season (like an elbow or shoulder injury) or more which is why batters are also usually considered less risky. There are no absolutes (one of the MVPs in Major League Baseball this year will probably be a pitcher for the Dodgers), this is just a bias most baseball fans have for these and other reasons.

I almost went with a 4 man rotation, since I usually do that when I play on my own. I mostly went with a 5 man so we could have more goon participation, and lower the risk that our goon-named players would destroy their arms.

tadashi posted:

:If you want to see how this all comes together, you can check out this league: http://www.redraftleague.com/game/lgreports3/news/html/leagues/league_100_home.html which uses a 1-100 scale for player ratings.

Man, is there some way to build a website like this for this league? I don't actually know how that works. I'd still post and everything in the thread, but it might be nice for others to be able to follow their player and look around as they please.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

JosefStalinator posted:

I mainly didn't include him because he's inferior to Tuvakcu in every way except power. In fact, Tuvakcu is actually better at SS (if he maxes out experience) than this guy would be, and Tuvakcu can hit better and is faster as well.

Let's not go too far here. Tuvakcu is going to be a terrible shortstop regardless of what his rating is. With an arm in the 40s he's going to give up a lot of infield hits. He's also more prone to error and is not as good at turning double plays, though those don't matter as much in this case since they are close.

As far as being the better hitter, it depends on what you want them to do. Tuvakcu is an elite leadoff guy or #2 hitter. He'll get on base a lot and can take tons of extra bases, either from steals or from hits. al-Din is a power hitter, the guy you stick in the middle of your lineup to drive in the Tuvakcu's of the world.

If I were picking here in my own draft I'd probably end up basing this pick off of who I could maybe pick up later in the draft, so without that I'll go with al-Din because middle of the order shortstops basically don't exist, but Tuvakcu is still a good pick here.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

IcePhoenix posted:

Let's not go too far here. Tuvakcu is going to be a terrible shortstop regardless of what his rating is. With an arm in the 40s he's going to give up a lot of infield hits. He's also more prone to error and is not as good at turning double plays, though those don't matter as much in this case since they are close.

As far as being the better hitter, it depends on what you want them to do. Tuvakcu is an elite leadoff guy or #2 hitter. He'll get on base a lot and can take tons of extra bases, either from steals or from hits. al-Din is a power hitter, the guy you stick in the middle of your lineup to drive in the Tuvakcu's of the world.

If I were picking here in my own draft I'd probably end up basing this pick off of who I could maybe pick up later in the draft, so without that I'll go with al-Din because middle of the order shortstops basically don't exist, but Tuvakcu is still a good pick here.

Good point - I didn't really look that closely at the arm rating. I'll add al-Din to the original post. I wish there was an easy way for me to show you the entire draft class, but I'm unaware if there is such a way.

One thing I also didn't explain - this is a serpentine draft, which means the draft order is reversed every round. This means we get the 1st pick, 33rd pick, 34th pick, 65th pick, 66st pick, and so on.

The nice thing is that we can draft twice and do this faster, but it also means that we aren't going to get to pick any of these elite guys, since our next pick won't be for a while.

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Sep 29, 2014

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Do they have distinguishable splits vs. LHP or RHP? You don't have to post them, I'm just curious since Bala Tuvakcu is a switch-hitter.

We're talking about over 15 points in contact difference and over 20 points in both Eye and Avoid K's which is why I'm still for Tuvakcu. Avoid K's is almost the least valuable thing but Tuvakcu is also an elite gap power guy so he's going to have a lot of extra base hits to make up for the lack of homers. I'm not worried about the arm so much since it's not that big of a deal. Sure there will be a few extra infield hits but he also has the superior range and initial rating at shortstop.

Also, he's a Turk and I demand immersion :lol:

tadashi fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 29, 2014

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

tadashi posted:

Do they have distinguishable splits vs. LHP or RHP? You don't have to post them, I'm just curious since Bala Tuvakcu is a switch-hitter.

We're talking about over 15 points in contact difference and over 20 points in both Eye and Avoid K's which is why I'm still for Tuvakcu. Avoid K's is almost the least valuable thing but Tuvakcu is also an elite gap power guy so he's going to have a lot of extra base hits to make up for the lack of homers. I'm not worried about the arm so much since it's not that big of a deal. Sure there will be a few extra infield hits but he also has the superior range and initial rating at shortstop.

Here's Tuvakcu's splits:

He's the only one with a noticable split.

For the baseball uninitiated, what this is telling us is how hitters compare versus pitchers that throw left handed or right handed.

The conventional wisdom is that pitchers have the advantage, generally, against hitters that bat the same side as they throw. That is, a left handed pitcher generally will perform better against left handed hitters. This is not true for all players, and is a broad generalization.

Some hitters are called "switch hitters," and actually change the side they bat from depending on who they are facing. This allows them to be left handed versus right handed pitchers, and right versus lefties.

Tuvakcu appears to be slightly better against left-handed pitchers, which means that he probably hits better from the right side. Some players, switch hitter or not, have profoundly different ratings against lefties/righties. I'll try to let you know if anyone has a particularly dramatic difference. For the most part though, most hitters will be marginally better against their opposite side.

tadashi posted:

Also, he's a Turk and I demand immersion :lol:

I mean, you'd figure having a Turkish elite player on the Istanbul team would boost ticket sales, right? (I have no idea if it works this way - probably not).

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Where we're going we don't need dingers

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

HERSEY

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Since we don't have a DH, draft the pitcher that has the best hitting stats, so we're not giving away at-bats.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Don't you want a team of 9 billy hamiltons (the good one) look inside yourself you know the answer

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Alan Trammell posted:

Since we don't have a DH, draft the pitcher that has the best hitting stats, so we're not giving away at-bats.

This is a good strategy that isn't bad in any way.

This is the best contact pitcher. I chose him as much because of that ridiculous nickname (I haven't touched any player names yet).

Nicknaming your players after cancer - the OOTP way.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

Monicro posted:

Don't you want a team of 9 billy hamiltons (the good one) look inside yourself you know the answer

No I want a team of 9 Babe Ruths. (Babes Ruth? What's the plural anyways?)

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

tadashi posted:

In most cases a starting pitcher only pitches once every 5 games which is why players in the field are considered more valuable (sometimes in OOTP you can get away with a 4 man pitching rotation but it's not realistic).

Huh. Interesting. That makes a lot of sense; thanks for the explanation.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
In a later round, draft Melanoma, play him at 3B, and use him as a ROOGY as necessary.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'll leave voting going for a bit longer, especially with IcePhoenix making a strong case for al-Din, the elite shortstop.

Remember to bold your selections or I can't guarantee your vote will be counted.

Current Tally:
Bala Tuvakcu, 2B - 11
Harb Nahm al-Din, SS - 2
Abdul Bin-Ya Qub, C - 1

After we are done, I'll post the logs of how everyone else drafted, and we'll get to choose two new guys!

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Sep 30, 2014

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
Did I miss the part where our created players were getting drafted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jubs posted:

Did I miss the part where our created players were getting drafted?

Once we draft, I'll change the names and whatnot to match the players we created in the google doc, going in order of people's positional preferences.

• Locked thread