Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LambdaZero
Nov 5, 2009

suck it
If we don't eventually draft Melanoma, what's the point of Goons running a baseball team?

I'll throw my vote in for Al-Din the Super Shortstop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
: Well voices, it was nice to hear you pretty emphatic about our first pick. Mr. Commissioner, the Istanbul Constantinoples select Bala Tavukcu, 2B.

: Now that that's done, we wait our turn. Let's see how the other teams draft.

: Looks like Damascus agreed that Al-Din was a great choice. I wouldn't be shocked if we saw that guy around on the leader boards for a long time.

Now it's our turn, and we get two picks. Thing are getting a bit more complex now, as there's fewer young players, and more great older players, and good players in less scarce positions.

Here's the top hitters by ability:

And starters:

Since we don't have an ace yet, it may be wise to use one of our two picks, at least, on a pitcher.

: A couple strategy things to consider:

-We can't be quite as picky with age this time, but it's still pretty early, so we can probably go with a slightly less good player we will have for 10 years over an elite guy who might die in one or two
-We haven't picked a pitcher yet. Might be time to do so.
-We also don't have any relievers, and I am not showing them yet. If you want to start drafting relievers, let me know.
-We are also starting to see some good first basemen and other less scarce positions trickle up. It's time to consider weighing getting a good outfielder versus a slightly less good more scarce position.

Our team so far:

Posting some good candidates in a minute, so wait just a moment

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.
Jibril the Catcher

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Omran Zakkariya, SP

Injury History: Normal.

Overall: This guy is elite, and currently the best pitcher in the draft. Suffers a tiny bit from lack of control. Biggest flaw is age - at 32, it's tough to say when he'll start declining.

Fawaaz Bin Farooq, SP

Injury History: Normal

Overall: This guy has great control, okay movement and good stuff. His youth is a great strength, as his stamina, and he may even improve slightly with time (see the potential 74).

Butrus Nuri, SP

Overall: Another older candidate, this guy has great stuff and is generally well balanced. Age is still a concern, and Omran may simply be the better choice between the two.

Ntagahera Aondohimba, SP

Injury History: Durable.

Overall: Not too young, not too old, might be a good middle ground in age. Elite control but otherwise okay to good in movement and stuff, with some decent pitch selections and stamina. Impossible to spell name.

Hitters

Youssef Bin Azeem, LF

Overall: Comedy old fat man option. Draft this guy if you want to hit tons of dingers/draw tons of walks at the risk of him dying or retiring in a year or two. Left Fielders aren't too hard to come by, but expect his skills to decline in the next few years.

Tirfe Nkundiushuti, 1B

Injury History: Durable

Overall: Elite power and okay at everything else, this guy is young and would be a great pick if he weren't at first base. Pick this guy if you like power, but know that young first basemen are something of a liability. Without a DH, we could simply move some of our older guys to 1B, but if we have this guy, he'll need that spot to hit dingers.

Ilhan Orhan, 1B

Overall: Another power 1B, just slightly less old and better at contact hitting. Same reason not to pick as before - 1B are easy to come by, and its nice to have the position open for aging veterans.

Awwab bin Hashim, SS

Overall: Decent contact hitter who won't strike out a lot, at a rare position, not too young or old. Great defense. Is a good pick based on positional scarcity/age.

Okba Gogo, 3B

Overall: Decent 3B who can also player 2B or outfield. Has some power, but mediocre contact and strikes out a lot. 30 is a good middle ground in age.

Teferra Moyenda, C

Injury History: Iron Man

Overall: Catchers are hard to come by, and this guy has nice power and discipline, meaning he'll sit well in the heart of the lineup. Not too old, but prone to strikeouts. Very mediocre catcher ability. Iron man injury history is really good for catchers, as he'll rarely get hurt. Good pick based on positional scarcity.

Lufti Jibril, C

Injury History: Fragile

Overall: At a scarce position, and will hit a poo poo ton of dingers. But, he's old, his catcher ability is already declining, and his injury history is fragile. You'll likely need to replace this guy in a year or two, so be warned.

Masruq Bin Uthman, CF

Overall: A decent youngish outfielder who is excellent defensively at any of the outfield positions. Great gap power means his hits will become doubles/triples more often, but otherwise okay-good at hitting. Pick this guy if you really want an outfielder.

Khayri Eisa, 3B

Overall: A good young 3B, who could also play a decent SS or 2B. Good contact/gap power, but lacking in discipline and HR power. Might be an alright pick if you want a young infielder.

:siren:Remember that you have two votes, so choose the two players we should draft:siren:
I'll pick the top two vote getters.

If you want to see anyone else, or the top guys at any position, just request it and I'll add it to the post. I didn't post every veteran, so let me know if you want to see any of the elite 30 somethings at any position.

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Sep 30, 2014

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Can't believe you let Melanoma get away...

e: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Ice To Meet You fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Sep 30, 2014

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Alan Trammell posted:

Can't believe you let Melanoma get away...

Not my fault!

But don't worry, I expect goons to trade away all their friends in order to acquire him.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
It seems clear that drafting only young(er) guys is the best play. Win later.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Zakkariya and Farooq

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
Farooq and Moyenda

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Fawaaz Bin Farooq & Khayri Eisa

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

Farooq and bin Hashim

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

It seems clear that drafting only young(er) guys is the best play. Win later.

My very first OOTP game I ever played, I didn't really know how development works, and paid no attention to age, simply drafting the best players at each position.

My team was unstoppable and won 3/4 of its games the first year. The next year, between injuries and player decline, I didn't even break .500 :negative:

LambdaZero
Nov 5, 2009

suck it
Farooq and Hashim

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Farooq and Hashim

Ugh it's thin pickings. Farooq isn't really what I'd qualify as an ace, but he's certainly the best guy on the board. Hashim is meh, but gently caress it, let's put together the best MI in the league.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Zakkariya, I fear an abundance of dingers from Farooq.

And Azeem, because if Llama will not vote for Egyptian Barrold Bonds, I will do it for him.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

TheFlyingLlama posted:

Farooq and Hashim

Ugh it's thin pickings. Farooq isn't really what I'd qualify as an ace, but he's certainly the best guy on the board. Hashim is meh, but gently caress it, let's put together the best MI in the league.

Farooq is a mystery to me - he certainly won't be bad by any means, and he's gonna be a great pitcher, but I can't tell if he can turn his control into a super never-walk groundball ace, or if he'll just be a reliably great pitcher who blows it with HR's from time to time.

If it makes all of you feel any better, Farooq is actually a pretty good hitter (for a pitcher):

He might hit upwards of .150, or even .200 in a good year :swoon:

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

The Merry Marauder posted:

And Azeem, because if Llama will not vote for Egyptian Barrold Bonds, I will do it for him.

Not even I can vote for all the dingers all the time.

and goddamn if I didn't just feel dirty as gently caress saying that.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

The Merry Marauder posted:

because if Llama will not vote for Egyptian Barrold Bonds, I will do it for him.

Gaze upon perfection:

Ser Barrold is adored by all :swoon:

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

JosefStalinator posted:

My very first OOTP game I ever played, I didn't really know how development works, and paid no attention to age, simply drafting the best players at each position.

My team was unstoppable and won 3/4 of its games the first year. The next year, between injuries and player decline, I didn't even break .500 :negative:

Can we see what more prospecty talent is out there? Best 5 young guys regardless of position?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Can we see what more prospecty talent is out there? Best 5 young guys regardless of position?

I was gonna show that in another pick or two (since it's way too early to pick prospects), but I'll parade them out in a bit.

GoldenPrice
Oct 2, 2013
Farooq and Hashim

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
As per request, here are the top prospects in the league. I don't recommend drafting them just yet, as there's still plenty of better talent out there, and in fact, there aren't any super stellar 80 potential prospects.

One thing to note: for potential ratings, they are shown as "overall/potential", with the different colored part of the bar representing the potential graphically.

Top Prospects List

Here are the top prospects regardless of position, with only one MR shown (the first):

Abdul-Khaliq Labid, MR

Injury: Normal

Zayyad Piracha, CF

Nobuhito Takahashi, SP

Imad Bin Asif, RF

Injury: Durable

Mundhir Bin Nawfal, 3B

Yasar Abbud, 3B

Remember that potential is no guarantee - and sometime you find under performers and diamonds in the rough.

:siren:Current Vote Tally:siren:
Farooq, SP - 11
Hashim, SS - 8
Azeem, LF - 2
Zakkariya, SP - 8
Eisa, 3B - 1
Moyenda, C - 1
Jibril, C - 1
Aondohimba, SP - 1

Still very competitive, with Farooq mostly pulling ahead. I'll keep the vote going until tomorrow, with plenty of time to see Hashim overtaken by anyone.

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Oct 1, 2014

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Farooq and Zakkariya. Pitching!

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
Farooq and Hashim

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!
Omran Zakkariya and Ntagahera Aondohimba

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Farooq & Hashim

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Nerd post ahead on Zakkariya and Farooq:

This isn't a case of two guys who are close and just have different reasons for being elite like last time. Farooq's rating is heavily influenced by his high stamina, but middling stuff and movement are going to offset his high control, whereas Zakkariya's super elite stuff, great movement, and good control will be keeping his batters faced low and offset his low stamina. The other big difference is in their pitches. All of Zakkariya's pitches are elite, and all of Farooq's are just good. As far as I've been able to tell, OOTP doesn't really factor pitch quality into ratings, but I've certainly seen a correlation between a pitcher over or udner performing to expectations because his pitches are great or sub par.

Given the other talent available, Farooq is definitely a great pitcher to have as our #2, and I voted for him for that reason, but he's the Brad Radke to Zakkariya's Johan Santana. If you're only voting for one pitcher it shouldn't be Farooq.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Zakkariya and Hashim, even though the Sammo Hung of baseball sounds extremely amusing.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Just my preference but I do not think the years of control on Farooq outweigh how good Zakkariya is. Better pitchers than Farooq will come along soon enough. Since he's 22, you could have pitchers in the very next draft just as good as him and around his age. It's going to be very difficult to replace Zakkariya, though.

Zakkariya and Azeem

Also, nothing personal Stalinator, this thread could die and/or I don't want to wait months to win.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Sep 30, 2014

Saitorr
Dec 23, 2008

YES THE CARPET MATCHES THE DRAPES IN BOTH COLOR AND LENGTH
Zakkariya and Hashim

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Go with Faarooq and Zakkariya

Clinkster
Sep 9, 2012
Azeem and Zakkariya

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Current Vote Tally
Farooq, SP - 11
Hashim, SS - 8
Zakkariya, SP - 8
Azeem, LF - 2
Eisa, 3B - 1
Moyenda, C - 1
Jibril, C - 1
Aondohimba, SP - 1

: God drat it voices, I come to you for inspiration. Well actually, you come to me, inescapably haunting me every moment of my life... but, how am I supposed to know which way to go if you're screaming two names just as loud?

: Just go with your gut, Pete. Be a decider. Don't let no one tell ya what to do! If I lived the life of a follower, hell, I'd still be in Texas and not here livin' my dream!

: Ah well, gently caress it, I'll go with my gut then. We need a veteran ace to top the rotation, age be damned. Mr. Commissioner, we choose Omran Zakkariya, SP and Fawaaz Bin Farooq, SP

: Alright, let's see the log of how everyone else drafted.

And, a quick look at our top options:

Pitchers

Hitters

Relievers

Current Positional Breakdown

I'm uploading some top candidates, so give me a moment

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 30, 2014

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Pitchers

Ntagahera Aondohimba, SP

Injury History: Durable.

Overall: Not too young, not too old, might be a good middle ground in age. Elite control but otherwise okay to good in movement and stuff, with some decent pitch selections and stamina. Impossible to spell name. Best pitcher left at this point, so probably the best pick if you want a third starter over more hitting.

Husam Al Mujahid, SP

Overall: The next best youngish guy in the pitcher draft. Inferior to Aondohimba in most ways, but built similarly. Included in case you really want to draft two pitchers.

Hitters

Outfielders

Youssef Bin Azeem, LF

Overall: Comedy old fat man option. Draft this guy if you want to hit tons of dingers/draw tons of walks at the risk of him dying or retiring in a year or two. Left Fielders aren't too hard to come by, but expect his skills to decline in the next few years.

Masruq Bin Uthman, CF

Overall: A decent youngish outfielder who is excellent defensively at any of the outfield positions. Great gap power means his hits will become doubles/triples more often, but otherwise okay-good at hitting. Pick this guy if you really want an outfielder.

Kalume Khiga, LF

Overall: Best young outfielder, defensively strong in any outfield position, especially left. Balanced but mediocre offensively. Arm strength is a bit of a concern, as the game may overrate his defensive abilities due to high range/error.

Infielders

Okba Gogo, 3B

Overall: Decent 3B who can also player 2B or outfield. Has some power, but mediocre contact and strikes out a lot. 30 is a good middle ground in age.

Khayri Eisa, 3B

Overall: A good young 3B, who could also play a decent SS or 2B. Good contact/gap power, but lacking in discipline and HR power. Might be an alright pick if you want a young infielder.

Latif Atu, 3B

Overall: A little older than Eisa, but great defense and both power and contact make him worth consideration.

Khalil Bin Mansur, SS

Overall: Best young SS left, good defensively with okay-good hitting ability. Would also make a good defensive 2B if we moved Tuvakcu to SS to make up for Mansur's mediocre arm strength. Position scarcity pick.

Nazim Bin Najib, SS

Overall: Elite contact, but mediocre defense and high in age. Draft only if you don't care about his age.

Makeen Bin Qays, 1B

Injury: Iron Man

Overall: Great power with good-great contact, big limiting factors are position and age. Pick this guy if you don't mind a hard hitting veteran hogging the least scarce position for a while. Iron man durability is nice though.

Catchers

Teferra Moyenda, C

Injury History: Iron Man

Overall: Catchers are hard to come by, and this guy has nice power and discipline, meaning he'll sit well in the heart of the lineup. Not too old, but prone to strikeouts. Very mediocre catcher ability. Iron man injury history is really good for catchers, as he'll rarely get hurt. Good pick based on positional scarcity.

Lufti Jibril, C

Injury History: Fragile
Overall: At a scarce position, and will hit a poo poo ton of dingers. But, he's old, his catcher ability is already declining, and his injury history is fragile. You'll likely need to replace this guy in a year or two, so be warned.

Negasi Kahiga, C

Overall: A younger option with decent contact hitting ability. Not very good defensively, but then again, neither are the other two. Positional scarcity pick.

:siren:You know the drill, you get two votes, top two get drafted!:siren:

Feel free to request any additional players/positions.

EDIT: For reference, Top Prospect List

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Sep 30, 2014

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

Eisa and Azeem

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Let's go with hitters: Khayri Eisa and Teferra Moyenda. I dunno, I put some stock into player personality

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Youssef Bin Azeem
Teferra Moyenda - Switch hitting catcher who can take walks and hit dingers? So he's a poor man's Carlos Santana?

I like Najib but he would need to learn a new position because he would be like a poor man's Derek Jeter in the field. I feel like Eisa is not good enough at any one thing to make him nearly as valuable as other players available. I'd take Jibril or Kahiga before him since they look like decent catchers, that 1B looks like a great hitter (albeit at a lovely position) and then I'd go with Khiga (not to be confused with Kahiga) or Uthman.

Azeem has a short lifespan but I'm thinking we can use him in the first season, trade him and then try to acquire a replacement.

The only prospect you posted I have any interest in is Imad Bin Asif. That Japanese pitcher is already 24 so he'll need to develop fast to be of any use. I honestly can never predict when an old prospect is too old to fill into his ratings. The guys I give up on and dump always turn out ok.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 30, 2014

Saitorr
Dec 23, 2008

YES THE CARPET MATCHES THE DRAPES IN BOTH COLOR AND LENGTH
Uthman and Azeem

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Khalil Bin Mansur, SS
Negasi Kahiga, C

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

tadashi posted:

Youssef Bin Azeem
Teferra Moyenda - Switch hitting catcher who can take walks and hit dingers? So he's a poor man's Carlos Santana?

I like Najib but he would need to learn a new position because he would be like a poor man's Derek Jeter in the field. I feel like Eisa is not good enough at any one thing to make him nearly as valuable as other players available. I'd take Jibril or Kahiga before him since they look like decent catchers, that 1B looks like a great hitter (albeit at a lovely position) and then I'd go with Khiga (not to be confused with Kahiga) or Uthman.

Azeem has a short lifespan but I'm thinking we can use him in the first season, trade him and then try to acquire a replacement.

The only prospect you posted I have any interest in is Imad Bin Asif. That Japanese pitcher is already 24 so he'll need to develop fast to be of any use. I honestly can never predict when an old prospect is too old to fill into his ratings. The guys I give up on and dump always turn out ok.

I agree that it might be time to consider some of the better vets, especially since Azeem can competently be in the outfield and not hog 1B or something.

Here's Moyenda's splits:

quote:

Let's go with hitters: Khayri Eisa and Teferra Moyenda. I dunno, I put some stock into player personality

It is funny that Eisa has like, every personality thing. I checked, and he's a super intelligent, hard working leader who is fairly loyal, but doesn't care about winning or money. :unsmith:

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Sep 30, 2014

• Locked thread