Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Asir Abdul-Halim, "LF"/1B
Muwaffaq Muhanned, MR

I think our defense is adequate at this point and we could use another power hitter. What is 1B good for if not for that aging TTO hitter who will only be good for a couple more seasons (and then we can pick up another one)?

It looks like a lot of candidates Stalinator is bringing up are being drafted soon after we pass over them, so I guess that's a good thing? As in: if our reports are wrong so are other teams?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

tadashi posted:

Asir Abdul-Halim, "LF"/1B
Muwaffaq Muhanned, MR

I think our defense is adequate at this point and we could use another power hitter. What is 1B good for if not for that aging TTO hitter who will only be good for a couple more seasons (and then we can pick up another one)?

It looks like a lot of candidates Stalinator is bringing up are being drafted soon after we pass over them, so I guess that's a good thing? As in: if our reports are wrong so are other teams?

I've been tempted to see if our scout has hosed us on any picks, but so far most of the guys you pass on are picked up quickly, and I don't wanna cheat.

Right now pitchers have stayed static because most teams already have their rotations done, or at least 4 starters.

LambdaZero
Nov 5, 2009

suck it
Hilal (SP) and Abdul-Halim (1B)

They're both really old, but we only need them for one season right? (I'm bad at baseball this is probably terrible thinking.)

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Soviets posted:

Hilal (SP) and Abdul-Halim (1B)

They're both really old, but we only need them for one season right? (I'm bad at baseball this is probably terrible thinking.)

They're old and there's a good chance they'll only last a season, but you're at the point where that's less important. First basemen are a dime a dozen, so losing one to age isn't that big a deal. They also aren't THAT important defensively, so decline there isn't as big a deal either.

As for starters, for a fourth/fifth starter, they're also easier to replace than any of your first three good pitchers. So it's not a bad strategy, but the 1B is definitely more replacable than a starter.

It's also kind of luck. We don't know what the amateur and international draft class is going to look like. If either one has tons of good pitchers, then great, you've got a replacement. If the league goes through a period of pitcher-less-ness for a season or two, it might be a bit harder. Impossible to predict at this point.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Taymullah Bin Hilal, SP
Hasheem Basil, SP

LambdaZero
Nov 5, 2009

suck it
Is there some kind of starter's guide on the internet for OOTP 15? I've been trying to get into it, but unless I'm directly in control, I can't make the Detroit Tigers stop losing. I don't think I wanna be in charge of 160 games of fake baseball every season.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
Hisham bin Yaman (LH SP) and Farooq Ahmed (LH MR)

I think it might be now or never if we want to get passable left-handed pitchers.

And on the bio thing, it says Basil isn't very smart and dogs it.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Soviets posted:

Is there some kind of starter's guide on the internet for OOTP 15? I've been trying to get into it, but unless I'm directly in control, I can't make the Detroit Tigers stop losing. I don't think I wanna be in charge of 160 games of fake baseball every season.

Once we get our draft done, I'm going to cover a lot of the other mechanics, like strategy, budget, trade, free agency, etc.

For now, just read the OOTP manual: http://manuals.ootpdevelopments.com/index.php?man=ootp15

I think the thread has really given great advice relating to drafts, so just wait a bit and you'll see how to run a team as well.

Also, start a team in a smaller league. Try one with only one or two divisions of four or eight teams. It'll give you less stuff to have to deal with.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
:siren: Tally :siren:

Halim, LF/1B - 4
Basil, SP - 2
Hilal, SP - 2
Mubarak, SP - 3
Muhanned, MR - 1
Yaman, SP - 1
Ahmen, MR - 1
Bin Tawfiq, 1B - 1
Mahir, MR - 1

I want to close voting but it's still super close with tons of good candidates, so I'll leave it a bit longer.

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Oct 3, 2014

LambdaZero
Nov 5, 2009

suck it
I'm in favor of closing it anyway, but mostly because I'm ready to get past the drafting and I'm stuck at work for the next three hours. Everyone seems ready to get to the bassball though.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Soviets posted:

I'm in favor of closing it anyway, but mostly because I'm ready to get past the drafting and I'm stuck at work for the next three hours. Everyone seems ready to get to the bassball though.

Definitely, I just have a bit of time and I wanted to give someone a chance to tiebreak before I gotta make an executive decision.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Halim and Mubarak. I realize that is not entirely a tiebreaker, but I can't pick a guy a couple days short of 39 with junk and a flyball tendency.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The Merry Marauder posted:

Halim and Mubarak. I realize that is not entirely a tiebreaker, but I can't pick a guy a couple days short of 39 with junk and a flyball tendency.

I will make it entirely a tiebreaker by seconding this

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

JosefStalinator posted:

Tally

Halim, LF/1B - 4
Basil, SP - 2
Hilal, SP - 2
Mubarak, SP - 3
Muhanned, MR - 1
Yaman, SP - 1
Ahmen, MR - 1
Bin Tawfiq, 1B - 1
Mahir, MR - 1

: Lightning pick! Mr. Commissioner, Istanbul chooses Asir Abdul Halim, LF/1B and Karim Mubarak, SP.

Let's roll!

Draft Log

Let's make this snappy, here's the top guys:

Batters

Pitchers
We are the last team to pick our 5th starter, lol

Relievers
Teams average 1.5 relievers per team.

Prospects

There are no prospect pitchers, which is surprising.

Current Team:

:siren: This is our last vote, vote for two dudes :siren:

We are at the point where talent is completely falling off everywhere but relievers. I'll go through and finish the draft myself, with any notable highlights.

To waste some time to give me a chance to do some story/setup explanatory posts, I'll probably take suggestions for lineup and whatnot once the draft is done. This will also give time to do trades, and I'll also introduce the goon players, since the guys we drafted are going to morph into your suggestions.

If you haven't already, add yourself to the Goon Sign-Up Sheet.

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Oct 3, 2014

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
PS: Sometimes I really love this game. An idea I had for the Baghdad team has mysteriously come true by pure coincidence.

Also, I'm not gonna post individual suggestions, so just vote away and let's finish this drat thing.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Masafumi Suto and Musamba Mfaki, for obvious reasons.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
Carlos Reyes (LH SP) and Nuh bin Tawfiq (1B)

Clinkster
Sep 9, 2012
Reyes and Tawfiq

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
A brief interlude in Baghdad

So, you have finished with the experiment? Did it work?

I uh, well, yes, it is definitely done. Not sure if it worked, but I really have to tell you...

: Show them to me.

: Just, Mr. President, remember that I am an American citizen and the United States would frown upon -

: Show me my sons drat it, I want to know if it worked.

: *gulps*

*Uday and Qusay enter, buff, shiny, and bulging with magnificent muscles*

: What the hell have you done to my sons!

: Now listen Saddam, you need to understand, I told you that all your scientists could do was mix hormones with horse tranquilizer, I didn't know it would -

: This is magnificent! Look at them, before they were just teenagers but now they are men! And can you teach them to hit this baseball as well?

: I well, yeah, actually, they're alright at hitting but their talent truly lies in their power. Now listen, there might be some side effects, and I'm not sure their bodies can endure this for more than a few years, and as you can see the hormones have effectively aged them -

: It doesn't matter. So long as they can hit the ball far, they will serve nicely. Iran stands no chance against them. Right boys?

Yes, father.

Yes father.

Excellent, you are such good boys. Now leave me, I must be alone.

*others exit*

*Saddam picks up his phone and begins conversing with a man on the line*

: Yes, yes, we appreciate it very much. This should do very well. We knew you would not abandon us with this silly scheme.

Excellent! I feel like you and I are going to have a long fruitful relationship.

And in Damascus

: Here he is! Now watch Bassel and Bashar, these men are nearly as important as daddy. They have sent someone very special to help us win against the Americans at their own sport!

*A helicopter lands nearby, and a small Russian man emerges, accompanied by a very large man in a baseball uniform*

: Greetings! I am Hafez, as surely you know. I was so pleased when Mr. Breshnev sent you here to manage our team. It is a pleasure to meet you, but I was not told your name.

*bashar reaches his hand out to the larger man, who grunts and gestures toward the smaller man*

I play game. I hit ball far. I hit ball well. I move fast and catch ball. I crush enemies.

: I... see. Well then, nice to meet you, Mr...

You may call me Vladimir. I am here in this country to control your team. I have studied the way of the west and know its weaknesses. Mr. Drago here will make short work of opposing pitchers. He is not only strong, he is quick, and he can hit the ball with the strength necessary to win in any situation. And of course, the motherland has ensured you will have every resource at your disposal.

: I am... surprised they sent someone so young. Well no matter - how are you so certain that Mr. Drago here will be such a great addition to the team?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6K3IvJzJRg&t=86s

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Oct 3, 2014

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Ubaid and Cabrera, CL

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Carlos Reyes, SP and Haliu Ayubu, CL

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!
Reyes and Tawfiq

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Tawfiq and Ubaid

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Is Brahim Akinshiju still available? I strongly recommend picking him as our last starter if so rather than leaving it to the fates.

1. Lefty starter
2. Grounders
3. Grounders

Also voting Tawfiq with this pick.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Tawfiq and Ubaid

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Okay, looks like we have a couple good candidates leading the vote. I'll pick what I can and see if I can't sim according to the thread's wishes as well, so we can finally get to playing baseball.

I'll need a bit of time, but it should be done tonight sometime.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
: Mr Commissioner, the Istanbul Constantinoples select Nuh Bin Tawfiq, 1B and Carlos Reyes, SP

Now, I got this voices, I can handle the rest of the draft.

Mr. Commissioner, let's blow through this.

*Many rounds later*

: Ah, alright. This is a good looking team. I'm going to have a hard time with some of these Turkish and Arab names but I, wait, what's... what's happening?

OH GOD, THE VOICES, THEY'RE GETTING STRONGER

Hello Pete.
:goonsay:

: What the hell's happening? Who are you?

The voices you hear. Those are us. You have served us well. We are here now.

: What? How do you know about the voices? What do you mean we are here now?

Shh, you need not worry. Just look at your rosters, and you will find all the answers. Do not ask questions, for to all around you, nothing has changed. Accept our physical forms.

What? What voices? Physical forms...? Who is Pete? wait.. ugh, my head... I, wait... the voices...

We're losing him! Give him another dose

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
: Mr Commissioner, the Istanbul Constantinoples select Mohammad Jihad, 1B and Carlos Reyes, SP

Now, I got this voices, I can handle the rest of the draft.

Mr. Commissioner, let's blow through this.

*Many rounds later*

: Ah, alright. This is a good looking team. Let's have an in depth look at its rosters and whatnot.

I did my best to get us a good bullpen, as well as at least one backup catcher, infielder, and outfielder of some competence.

I accidentally forgot to have the game generate players for AA and single A before the draft, so I had to let the game just autofill them. There may be a few fillers and not so great prospects down there, but not much of use. I also turned on ghost players so that we don't have to worry about filling them meticulously, and can focus on developing our prospects.

: Ladies and Gentlemen, may I present to you, the Istanbul Constantinoples!

This is before I do any custom pictures, because they're likely to totally mess up the team picture. I'll do those later.

: I took the liberty of setting the lineups the first time (OOC: The auto-function), so have a look a how our team shakes up:

Our Batters

Lineups

Our Pitchers

: Time to explain what all these things mean, and their relevant strategy.

Our league allows teams to have up to 25 players on the active roster at any given time. Since we need 5 starters and 8 position players minimum, this means we can have 12 additional players on our rosters, in any combination we like. The traditional way to do this (and the way we and the other teams default) is to have 12 batters (8 position and 5 bench guys) and 13 pitchers (5 starters, 8 relievers). This is not a ratio set in stone, and some teams prefer to have 6 bench players and 7 relievers, and we can do it however we want. It's generally better to have more relievers, as we will blow through more of them in any given game than bench players.

Bench players serve two purposes - offensive and defensive replacements.

Offensive Replacements aka Pinch Hitters: We are in a non-DH league, meaning that the pitcher will have to bat (almost always) 9th in the order. While we might leave our starters in for a few at bats, at some point we will take him out. If we are going to remove him from pitching, it is usually wise to put someone who is better offensively in his spot when he comes up to bat, then replace him with a new pitcher when it's time to pitch. We will almost always use at least one pinch hitter in any given game, often more, usually replacing relievers for the rest of the game in the pitcher's spot. As such, it's good to have some guys who are alright offensively to call in for this job.

Defensive Replacements: If we want to preserve a late game lead, or if someone gets hurt, sometimes you will swap guys who started with guys from the bench. They may be better defensively, perhaps performing at the position better than your starter, who may be much better offensively. If one of your players gets hurt, he will also need a replacement who can competently field his position. For this reason, we should always have at least one backup catcher, infielder, and outfielder ready to take up the task. You can break it down by position too, but typicaly, defensive infielders or outfielders will be able to at least handle each of the infield/outfield positions.

Lineups

Lineups are one of the most important duties of a manager, and one that we will regularly need to tweak. The lineups listed above show the positions played by our batters as well as the order in which they bat (also called the batting order).

Lineup Strategy: There are lots of differing opinions on lineup strategy, and this is not comprehensive, but some general tips:
-Managers tend to like speedy contact hitters to start at the top of the lineup. That is because they will get more at bats and get on base regularly, allowing the guys behind them to hit them in. Also can steal bases and are easier to move up due to speed.
-The second hitter should be another contact hitter guy, good at getting on base or moving the first guy around the bases.
-Managers tend to put the best hitters 3rd. This is because it ensures they get regular at bats, and they can both get on base and get the guys before them home to generate runs.
-Fourth through sixth spots are for power hitters or guys who can generate runs by bringing home the guys batting 1-3.
-Seventh and eighth are usually where you put your weaker guys offensively, who are starting either due to defensive skill or because you simply don't have anyone better.
-Ninth is for the pitcher. If you want to be super fancy you can start your pitcher eighth and have a second lead off guy ninth but don't do that because it's stupid and you aren't Tony LaRussa (are you?).

Pitcher Rotation and Role

As you can see, the AI has taken the liberty of setting our rotation order and assigning pitchers various roles based on their abilities.

The Starting Rotation is simply the order in which our pitchers start. Our best pitcher usually goes first, and rests as the rest of the pitchers start, in order, until returning back to the first starter. We will determine who would be our best fifth starter later, since there are some potential alternatives.

The Bullpen is our collection of relievers. You can see the various roles, some of them we are already familiar with. There are a number of roles already assigned, as well as some that the AI didn't assign to any of our players. We don't absolutely need to have someone in each of these roles, and the roles are themselves flexible (and we can customize just how flexible).

The closer is the guy we trust to finish the game if we are winning by a small margin. The best players for this position have a few elite pitches and can throw hard, and are reliable across the board. Stamina is not an issue here.
The Setup guys are built like closers but may not be quite as good or reliable. They'll usually come in late in games or in close situations to preserve our lead (or keep us in the game if it's tied or we're slightly behind).
Middle Relievers are pitchers built to go 1-2 innings as necessary. They may not be as reliable as our closer/setup guys, but they'll get the job done, and can usually pitch an inning or two with minimal rest.
Long Relievers are pitchers designed to pitch, well, for a long time. They often come in if the starter is having serious trouble or needs to come out early for some reason. Stamina is actually important to these guys, as is having a better pitch selection, not unlike starters.
Emergency Starters are typically long relievers or guys built like starters who just aren't good enough to make the rotation. These guys come in to start games if starters are hurt or otherwise can't start.
Specialistsare pitchers built to face left or right handed hitters exclusively. These guys may have really good splits against only right or left handers, so might be more useful in high leverage situations against these particular types of hitters. Also called LOOGY.

And here's a look at our entire organization, including minor leagues:

You can see that the AI moved some of our pitchers and prospects around. It seems to think Tawfiq could benefit from some more time in triple A to develop - which is not a bad thing, and it's not like the team needs him urgently at first base at this time. It also demoted Carlos Reyes to AAA, and gave us Karim Mubarak as our fifth starter instead.

One irritating thing the AI did, that I didn't realize it could even do on its own, was release Brahim Akinshiju, the guy Tadashi identified as a potential fifth starter. I've re-offered him a minor league contract in the hopes we get him back.

: Alright, one more information post about personnel and finances, and I'll have some tasks for you guys.

I need to go for a bit, but I'll cover the front office and personnel, then we can start doing some goon input on changes up to spring training

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Oct 4, 2014

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
: So now that we've met our team, we need to talk a bit about finances and personnel. These are the guys running the show for the most part, handling our rookies, healing our wounds, and keeping the minor leagues running so they can send our prospects up our way.

Front Office

Here's our front office, one of the most important screens we'll have outside of our lineup. This is loaded with important information, so let's go through it.

Financial Summary

Here you'll find our overall budget, player payroll, and the money we have for free agents and extensions on our contracts.

The budget isn't all that important - what is interesting is that we have the third highest budget in the league, which is pretty cool.

Payroll is 9th in baseball, putting us behind the Tel Aviv Garfields. Payroll is simply how much we are spending on all of our players combined. But no matter, it's not the size, it's how you use it.

Money For Free Agents: This tells us how much our owner has given us to spend on free agents for this year. This includes spending for international free agents, so it may be wise to keep some on hand for when the international free agents become draftable later in the year.

Money for Extensions: This tells us how much extra cash we have for next year. We can use this to gauge how many of our current players we can rehire next year, by offering extensions to their contracts. Keep in mind that if we use all this up for next year, it usually means we will have less for free agents the next year, so consider this a lagged free agent budget as well.

Here's how we compare to the others in the league:

Owner Information

Our owner is an Israeli man named Abishalom Menahem (yikes) who, unfortunately, might be a bit of a problem for us. Owners are rated by patience and fiscal personality, and, well, he's not very patient. In fact, he's about as impatient as can be, meaning he'll get very angry at us if we don't succeed, and may try to fire us. Fiscally he's a bit more open but still pretty... well... stingy. Jokes aside, he won't be giving us much extra cash to spend as we see fit. In fact, if you look at the "cash from owner" box in the upper right, he actually took some away from us...

General Information

This is where we set our ticket prices, as well as our "team focus". Higher tickets mean more money, but may drive down fan loyalty and attendance if we go too high, so we probably don't want to mess with that too much. Team focus just lets other teams know if we want to rebuild our team and focus on getting young prospects, or win championships now.

As you can see, we actually have above average market size, which is great news. Even better, our fans are quite loyal, and seem to have warmed up to our team very quickly, with a fan interest of 72 before we've even played a game!

Here's how the teams stack up on those measures:

The 1979 attendance figures seem weird, and will change a lot more this year

: Whatever Damascus and Kabul are doing, it seems to be working. We stack up better than most of our neighbors, but we'll see how it lasts.

The rest of the budget simply breaks things down, and is pretty straightforward. Let's move on to personnel.

Here you can find our important major league level staff. Their jobs are fairly self explanatory - the manager oversees the operation, the bench coach is something of his assistant, and the pitching and hitting coaches help pitchers and hitters develop their abilities. The trainer helps injured players recover.

Their individual ratings are also pretty obvious. The higher the rating the better, and you can guess that teaching is most important for the pitching/hitting coach, and if you're a balanced team like ours with a mixture of vets and rookies, having personnel that can handle them all is ideal.

Our trainer is a bit imbalanced, but having a guy with two high ratings is great. His lack of fatigue management is a bit concerning, as even our healthy pitchers will need that, but on the whole okay personnel won't hurt as much as bad ones harm, and good one's provide only marginal improvements.

Last, we already met our awful scouting director:

Let's see if we can't check for a suitable replacement.

These are some good alternate scouts, most of whom would be good replacements. The amateur preference thing just shows whether scouts are biased in favor of a player's current abilities versus their potential (tool). It's not really that big a deal though as long as you're aware of it. The manual says that tool favoring scouts may be better for finding superstars, but could heavily overstate players if they don't realize their potential. Ability heavy guys may ignore superstars but will be more likely to give you decent, workable prospects.

I'll show you some more financial things real fast for your reference, then we'll move on to some important tasks:

Team Salary

Above is a nice summary of our team's contracts by player. You can see the skilled vets tend to be payed more, while rookies less.

The (V) simply means that the player's contract will be renewed with a vesting option. This means that if certain criteria are met, they'll automatically be given that salary for the year listed. In the case of both our top two players, the criteria is playing in 135 games. This is nice, because it if it looks like they're declining, we can bench them and get out of their contracts for the next year.

A (T) (of which there are none) is a Team Option, this lets us choose whether or not to keep a contract for whatever the team options years are. This is useful, as it is entirely our decision.

An (A) just means arbitration eligible. This means they might get a bit of a raise if they do well. Don't really worry about it for now, cause it's pretty complicated.

Ballpark

Our wonderful ballpark, located in beautiful Istanbul. Looks like it's a slight pitcher's park, though gives up an awful number of doubles and triples.

Also, a schedule of events in the league:

Ignore the fact that the inaugural draft is listed four times. I don't know what is going on in this game sometimes.

Oh, and in case you're curious:

:smug:

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Oct 4, 2014

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I love that we have a random journeyman Japanese catcher.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
:siren: Goon Participation Time :siren:

First off, I've finally added you guys to the league. However, I stopped at a certain point, since many of your preferences would require I assign you to trash players.

If you're okay being a very low rated bench guy or minor league, let me know and I'll add you! Otherwise, I'll simply add more goons as we get new worthwhile players or prospects in trades or drafts.

If anyone would prefer to be removed in favor of a future player or be added in, just say so. Your name is bolded in the spreadsheet if you were added.

For now :siren: decide on the following things by posting with numbers next to your preferences and the important bits bolded:

1. Who should be our new scout?

Current guy:

Potential Replacements:

Major league scouting is probably most useful, but don't neglect the rest, especially for the amateur/intl draft. High S INT also means our scout will find random good players for our team overseas.

2. What should our lineups be?

Current Lineups:

Batter Stats:

This can be as complicated as you like. I figure only the most tryhard of you will actually suggest any changes, so feel free to just say "move x guy to 1st base, batting 4th" or just retype the whole thing, whatever you want. If noone says anything I'll just keep it the same.

3. Who should be our fifth starter?

Our current rotation:

I know you guys liked Carlos Reyes and some of you also liked Akinshiju. EDIT: I readded him manually because gently caress the AI.

Good candidates:
Karim Mubarak

Injury: Normal

Carlos Reyes

Injury: Durable

Santiago Garcia

Brahim Akinshuji

4. Anything Else

Feel free to suggest any other changes, like trades or whatever. There aren't really any good free agents right now (and probably won't be for a while).

I'll decide whether to just auto-implement your suggestion or make a vote. Ideally, if you agree/disagree with someone's suggestion, voice your opinion, as that'll speed up the process.

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Oct 4, 2014

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

habeasdorkus posted:

I love that we have a random journeyman Japanese catcher.

I almost changed him into a goon suggestion, but I just couldn't. Uemura-san's charm comes from being a humble backup catcher.

:japan:

Also, the next sim will try and get us to spring training, depending on the suggestions in thread. I will mostly breeze through spring training, which really isn't that interesting. It will however give us some projections and our first taste of play, and see if any of our dudes can survive the grueling process of actually doing things.

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Oct 4, 2014

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
It's pretty clear that the best head scout is Numan Maudad. Give me those toolsy youth who grew up playing stickball along the Nile. How do you say Jackie Robinson in Arabic?

I'd probably flip Cash and Kelly in the RHB lineup, but optimal lineups don't make that huge of a difference even over the course of the season.

Mubarak looks like the best choice for first crack at fifth starter, it's nice to have a guy at the back of the lineup with decent control who won't get knocked out of a game in the fifth inning because of his pitch count.

Also, drat, bin Ayman can fly.

GoldenPrice
Oct 2, 2013
Yeah we should change the scout to Numan Maudad.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Echoing Maudad as our scout.

Lineup looks good, but I have to ask, are there pinch runners in this game, or do you have to do that manually? Because it seems like it'd be a waste to not use bin Ayman's speed.

And I like Akinshuji as our fifth starter.

LambdaZero
Nov 5, 2009

suck it
Maudad for head scout, and Mubarak for pitcher. I'll let everyone else handle the lineups.

And would you mind holding Jeffers for a future player?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

TheMcD posted:

Echoing Maudad as our scout.

Lineup looks good, but I have to ask, are there pinch runners in this game, or do you have to do that manually? Because it seems like it'd be a waste to not use bin Ayman's speed.

And I like Akinshuji as our fifth starter.

There are indeed pinch runners! If you look at the far right, bin Ayman is the designated pinch runner regardless of lineup.

For those who don't know - pinch runners can be useful replacements in late game high leverage situations where having a speedy guy be the tying/winning run is important. Bin Ayman is absolutely ideal for that, able to steal bases as well as come home on plays that might otherwise be outs for other players.

Soviets posted:

Maudad for head scout, and Mubarak for pitcher. I'll let everyone else handle the lineups.

And would you mind holding Jeffers for a future player?

Will do.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

You can put my player on another team if necessary. As long as he gets the chance to run around and catch balls.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
So, am I right that out of our team of 25 men, 8 are actually the core squad -- and there are five pitchers because they get so totally wiped out that they're only allowed to play once every five games? Does that mean they get like ten games a year?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Ghostwoods posted:

So, am I right that out of our team of 25 men, 8 are actually the core squad -- and there are five pitchers because they get so totally wiped out that they're only allowed to play once every five games? Does that mean they get like ten games a year?!

Yeah, though it's more like twenty to twenty-five games a year. Pitching is hard as gently caress on you, and the players really do need the rest.

• Locked thread