Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

JosefStalinator posted:

More importantly though, we have a very good bullpen. Friar John, Jafar, Franq-in-Friq, and Xerxes Ironfist all put up ERA's of below 3.00 with at least 30 IP's, and Consty also did well with fewer innings. We can probably maintain a good bullpen without MacGregor, but it will hurt considerably from his departure, and Friar John would probably become our new closer (at least at first).

What's that? Sorry, I can't hear you over my sub-1 WHIP every season and being in a good position to lead the team in strikeouts as a loving closer.

Jeff "Jefferino" Jeffers, SS - 244k/1 year (non negotiable)
Rob MacGregor, CL - 550k/4 years
Kane, CF - 550k/5 years
Flex Townshend, SP - 410k/3 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesterea
Jan 2, 2013
I hope your humility matches your whip in the long run. The last think we need is getting hamstrung financially by a glorified relief pitcher.

I'm thinking 450,000-470,000 might be a fair deal.

See, isn't bargaining fun?

LambdaZero
Nov 5, 2009

suck it
Kane, CF - 550k/5 years

I hate to vote my own player out, but from a narrative standpoint I think Jeffers would want to start more. Also, if I remember correctly his greed is super high. Being a fielding reliever for 200k just ain't cutting it. As for Kane, I think we've got a good outfield and unfortunately he's a good player who is surplus to requirements.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
I'll make renders of the individual awards soon. They are probably going to be home-plate-shaped glass dealies, but I'd like to hear any suggestions you guys might have.

Also: do we have official names for the new '16 awards?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Stalinator, I just read this LP from start to date over the last few weeks - it has been grand. Congratulations on finally getting over the hump and brining home the cup.

Being one of 3 Englishmen in the world who enjoys and understands baseball, I would like to chime in. In short, this team needs to cut a bit of payroll, and if that means losing some depth, so be it. You overspent a bit and now you have to trim a bit to compensate. I think that you should free up money to get a consistent first basemen who can rake at the plate. Since it appears that any twit can play a decent 1B in this game, get the best youngish (30 or so) hitter out there. To that end:

I have Jeff Jeffety Jeff here in italics because I kind of don't mind either way. That is a reasonable price for a slick-fielding middle infielder to back up, but I don't think that he should be a regular. He hits about as well as my gran, though, and I don't see him hurting you to lose him. Bring up a promising youngster to fill the role on the super-cheap, or grab someone easily off of free agency. I am very ambivalent here.

Say goodbye to Big Mac. Sabremetrically, "closers" are not worth much and that is a fortune to spend on a closer for a team with at least 3 lights-out short relievers that also has, hard to argue, the most reliable starters in the league who work the most innings. You are deep in the pen - you can live without him.

Kane, CF - 550k/5 years

Similar to Rob, you have a lot of depth at outfield and that is too much to pay for a part-time player. If he wanted sub-400k per year, I would say go for it, but this seems high. You traded a B+ prospect for Reese, who is very well payed, so use Kane's money elsewhere.

This guy is... 26/27? That's it!?! Sign him to a longer contract if at all possible. Your rotation is getting old and Sky is injury-prone, plus you don't have anyone in the minors ready to emerge.

Again, I would also recommend getting the best bat available in free agency and putting him at 1B. MoJi is horridly inconsistent and that is the one position where one just *has* to have a big stick.

I would also start shopping Jack Price, because he is getting up there, but his value is still high after another splendid year.

Also, I know that it is impossible, but I would laugh myself unconscious if you could land Drago somehow. I am sure that he is locked into a very long, lucrative deal, but I just thought how that would be at a position where you struggle.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I normally hate to double-post, but this thread is proper dead. I just wanted to know if anyone had any opinions on OotP 16, which is half-off for the All-Star Break. I am actually not that interested in managing any real MLB teams, since I hate the wealth disparity in MLB, but I am still intrigued. Any thoughts on the 2015-2016 iteration?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
If you're buying your first it's worth it. It's quite similar to OOTP 15. You don't have to manage a real MLB team, obviously we're not, it's extremely customisable.

Honestly, if you've read the thread and you think it's something you want, buy it.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Sky Shadowing posted:

If you're buying your first it's worth it. It's quite similar to OOTP 15. You don't have to manage a real MLB team, obviously we're not, it's extremely customisable.

Honestly, if you've read the thread and you think it's something you want, buy it.

Just curious... is it possible to play MLB and have full economic parity? I know that you can create leagues with a universal salary cap (and I was annoyed when this thread did not do that), but I was curious as to whether it could be applied to MLB.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

JustJeff88 posted:

I normally hate to double-post, but this thread is proper dead. I just wanted to know if anyone had any opinions on OotP 16, which is half-off for the All-Star Break. I am actually not that interested in managing any real MLB teams, since I hate the wealth disparity in MLB, but I am still intrigued. Any thoughts on the 2015-2016 iteration?

JustJeff88 posted:

Just curious... is it possible to play MLB and have full economic parity? I know that you can create leagues with a universal salary cap (and I was annoyed when this thread did not do that), but I was curious as to whether it could be applied to MLB.

Sorry for the absence - I got absolutely swamped with real life stuff, which with combined with the lagging interest in the LP, seemed to make us finally winning the championship a good point to finish up on.

First, your question about the game - OOTP16 is a fantastic game, and it's very customizable, so you can create leagues with different financial structures and whatnot to your heart's content. It has options to force teams over a certain average percent to pay extra for their additional salary commitments, it has straight up revenue sharing, and so on. One problem this LP ran into was that, without ANY financial limits, the game can be really easy, as the AI isn't that good at going all out to win championships. The teams that have high budgets consistently win, and moronic GM's waste millions in salary potential for basically no reason. If I redid this LP or did another OOTP one, I'd create a league with enforced parity - to make decisions tougher. We were mostly able to keep the same players time and time again (which was good for the posters who had players within).

The easiest way to make a league ABSOLUTELY equal is a bit involved. You need to turn ticket prices to 0, and freeze them there for all teams. Then manually edit each team's local and national tv markets to be the same - and set them on a 999 year contract. Teams will regularly renegotiate their contracts based on the size of their market, normally signing shorter contracts. You can, for example, make every team have a budget of 10 million dollars for 999 years, and they will all be forced to adhere to that. Its a pain manually doing it, but I usually do that in my games as it otherwise becomes too easy to win every season or so.

As for the LP - thank you to everyone who read! I'm not 100% done - one thing I want to do is sim the game for another 10-15 years to see how every one turns out. Can Istanbul win on its own (AI Control)? What will happen to some of our favorite players? I'll do a brief write-up of each of the remaining goons, until none are left, and the Middle East enjoys its baseball paradise.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

JosefStalinator posted:

Sorry for the absence - I got absolutely swamped with real life stuff, which with combined with the lagging interest in the LP, seemed to make us finally winning the championship a good point to finish up on.

First, your question about the game - OOTP16 is a fantastic game, and it's very customizable, so you can create leagues with different financial structures and whatnot to your heart's content. It has options to force teams over a certain average percent to pay extra for their additional salary commitments, it has straight up revenue sharing, and so on. One problem this LP ran into was that, without ANY financial limits, the game can be really easy, as the AI isn't that good at going all out to win championships. The teams that have high budgets consistently win, and moronic GM's waste millions in salary potential for basically no reason. If I redid this LP or did another OOTP one, I'd create a league with enforced parity - to make decisions tougher. We were mostly able to keep the same players time and time again (which was good for the posters who had players within).

The easiest way to make a league ABSOLUTELY equal is a bit involved. You need to turn ticket prices to 0, and freeze them there for all teams. Then manually edit each team's local and national tv markets to be the same - and set them on a 999 year contract. Teams will regularly renegotiate their contracts based on the size of their market, normally signing shorter contracts. You can, for example, make every team have a budget of 10 million dollars for 999 years, and they will all be forced to adhere to that. Its a pain manually doing it, but I usually do that in my games as it otherwise becomes too easy to win every season or so.

As for the LP - thank you to everyone who read! I'm not 100% done - one thing I want to do is sim the game for another 10-15 years to see how every one turns out. Can Istanbul win on its own (AI Control)? What will happen to some of our favorite players? I'll do a brief write-up of each of the remaining goons, until none are left, and the Middle East enjoys its baseball paradise.

Thanks for getting back to me/us, Josef. I really just wanted to have the same salary cap for all teams. MLB is the only sport of the 4 major North American leagues (NFL, NBA, NHL) that does not have a universal cap, and it's bloody stupid. I know that a big-market team will be more profitable than a small-market one, but that should not translate into a competitive advantage. MLB has more equality than it has in a long, long time, but it is still the case that the Dogers have 4 times as much in terms of payroll obligations as the Astros do right now. Ridiculous.

I would actually like it if you did one more player season, just to see if you can repeat, but I will understand if you want to end here. In either case, I would like to see this LP into the archives, but I would also like to see someone else do an MLB one, or a global league one with 30+ teams, or something like that. I really enjoyed this LP and am loving habeausdorkus's years-long LP of Football Manager, and I would like to see more. It is amazing how invested one gets in these... I laughed out loud when Nif Bot hit that go-ahead three-run bomb in game 1 of the LCS - that is when I knew that this was your year - and I literally shouted out loud when Cash Considerations hit that walk-off in the Caliphate series. You just can't write this stuff.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

I bought OOTP 16 during the All-Star sale (think it's still going on), and I could do a 30-32 teams player-GM version of the European game I'm doing right now, if you guys are OK playing as London.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Danny Glands posted:

I bought OOTP 16 during the All-Star sale (think it's still going on), and I could do a 30-32 teams player-GM version of the European game I'm doing right now, if you guys are OK playing as London.

I would enjoy that, being British, and I would enjoy playing the star catcher - switch-hitting, if possible - as that was what I played in real life. If I buy OOTP 16 I would like to do a world league myself - a 30+ team one, like yours - as Montréal since 1) I was born there and 2) I wept when the Expos left.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Danny Glands posted:

Do it! Might I recommend implementing some of the ideas I posted above to equalize the budgets and keep the game from being too easy? (It's still easy even with those changes because the AI can't adapt well, but they have a better chance).

Might I also recommend having posters claim players, and doing things to ensure active posters get the better players.

Also link it to this thread if you do start it (or now if you already have).

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

JosefStalinator posted:

Do it! Might I recommend implementing some of the ideas I posted above to equalize the budgets and keep the game from being too easy? (It's still easy even with those changes because the AI can't adapt well, but they have a better chance).

Might I also recommend having posters claim players, and doing things to ensure active posters get the better players.

Also link it to this thread if you do start it (or now if you already have).

Is there any way that we could do some kind of Goon League? I bought a non-Steam copy of this game, and I thought perhaps that a few of us could run teams or something of that sort.

In any event, I would like to see a global league about the same size as MLB, with 28+ teams or so having good financial parity and ability to attract talent. I think that it would be fun to have divisions based on continents (NA, SA, Asia etc) and have the champion be decided that way.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

I know OOTP has an online league system, the commissioner (admin) needs to have web space.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

JustJeff88 posted:

Is there any way that we could do some kind of Goon League? I bought a non-Steam copy of this game, and I thought perhaps that a few of us could run teams or something of that sort.

In any event, I would like to see a global league about the same size as MLB, with 28+ teams or so having good financial parity and ability to attract talent. I think that it would be fun to have divisions based on continents (NA, SA, Asia etc) and have the champion be decided that way.

Danny Glands posted:

I know OOTP has an online league system, the commissioner (admin) needs to have web space.

There are some off-site forums that have active OOTP leagues. Post in this thread if you're interested: Here. I was in one of Buane's leagues for a while, and it was very fun.

Of course, any goon-run league would be similar to the Super League, which is fantastic, and I wouldn't want to crib too much from that. It's fun in its own way and has way more involved drafts than we'd need. If we did a goon-run OOTP league in Let's Play we would need some original content and a good host who could add some flavor and context to it while we get rolling. I'd be more than willing to take over from the start! I have webspace and the process is identical to what I've already done here, and even easier for the participants.

I'd probably start with fewer than 28 teams, maybe 10 (depending on interest) and go up from there as we get established. The nice thing about OOTP is we won't have the insane player inflation of the SL, and we could still do the relegation thing if we got enough people.

I'm going to be travelling in August, but I am seriously considering giving it a go. I really want it to be distinct from the SuperLeague, so I want to contemplate how best to do it. It might be a bit too much of a commitment for me, but I'd definitely participate if anyone else made it (or wanted to share the burden of writing).

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
If you are going to close out with the win, then thanks for doing this, Stalinator! It was a wild ride.

(You should have put me in more often! :argh:)

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

JosefStalinator posted:

There are some off-site forums that have active OOTP leagues. Post in this thread if you're interested: Here. I was in one of Buane's leagues for a while, and it was very fun.

Of course, any goon-run league would be similar to the Super League, which is fantastic, and I wouldn't want to crib too much from that. It's fun in its own way and has way more involved drafts than we'd need. If we did a goon-run OOTP league in Let's Play we would need some original content and a good host who could add some flavor and context to it while we get rolling. I'd be more than willing to take over from the start! I have webspace and the process is identical to what I've already done here, and even easier for the participants.

I'd probably start with fewer than 28 teams, maybe 10 (depending on interest) and go up from there as we get established. The nice thing about OOTP is we won't have the insane player inflation of the SL, and we could still do the relegation thing if we got enough people.

I'm going to be travelling in August, but I am seriously considering giving it a go. I really want it to be distinct from the SuperLeague, so I want to contemplate how best to do it. It might be a bit too much of a commitment for me, but I'd definitely participate if anyone else made it (or wanted to share the burden of writing).

I kind of prefer fictitious teams and players anyway. I would do my best, but I just bought my first OotP yesterday and have never played it, so be aware of my utter naiveté.

I would enjoy another OotP LP in and of itself. I am catching up on habeasdorkus's LP of Football Manager, and it is enthralling. I can understand why you, Josef, would want to call this one after winning the championship, but I hope that you or someone else picks up the torch and runs with it, even if it is in a slightly different direction.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

JustJeff88 posted:

I kind of prefer fictitious teams and players anyway. I would do my best, but I just bought my first OotP yesterday and have never played it, so be aware of my utter naiveté.

I would enjoy another OotP LP in and of itself. I am catching up on habeasdorkus's LP of Football Manager, and it is enthralling. I can understand why you, Josef, would want to call this one after winning the championship, but I hope that you or someone else picks up the torch and runs with it, even if it is in a slightly different direction.

I might do something in September, but there's no point in doing anything else before I go on my trip. I'll be away from the internet for something like a full month, and that would make any new LP very pointless! If there is interest, maybe an OOTP LP is in the cards (and it would be fictional players/teams). I need to work out the financial situation, but I'd be inclined to either do no financials, or very simple ones with everyone stuck at a uniform set budget.

Friar John posted:

If you are going to close out with the win, then thanks for doing this, Stalinator! It was a wild ride.

(You should have put me in more often! :argh:)

Friar John was our little :angel:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

JosefStalinator posted:

I need to work out the financial situation, but I'd be inclined to either do no financials, or very simple ones with everyone stuck at a uniform set budget.

I would like to see something where the budget is enough for anyone to make a good team, but with high parity. As well as Istanbul did in four seasons, they did have what I believe was the second-, maybe third-, highest budget in the league, and it was picking up Nif as a free agent and trading for that talented but pricey outfielder (whose name I cannot recall at the moment) that finally gave the Constantinoples the offence to win it all. Only a handful, at best, of teams could have financed that, and even a team with a league-average payroll would not have had deep enough pockets to make those additions.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Would maybe $350m /year be enough for universal budgets in a new LP?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Danny Glands posted:

Would maybe $350m /year be enough for universal budgets in a new LP?

Any number works, you just need to adjust player demands accordingly. It can be difficult to find the right balance, but look to make sure the teams are making at least a tidy profit on average, but not too large, or it becomes too easy. Finding the right balance might take a bit.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

If someone wants to make a OOTP super league I would be interested in putting together a team.

LambdaZero
Nov 5, 2009

suck it

Jack2142 posted:

If someone wants to make a OOTP super league I would be interested in putting together a team.

Throwing my interest in the ring as well. I'm afraid I don't have the time or the creative streak to administrate such a thing though. If anyone starts something please post it here!

Edit: And thanks, Stalinator for doing this LP. It was a great read. Next time I'll actually sign up for a star player.

LambdaZero fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 18, 2015

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Soviets posted:

Throwing my interest in the ring as well. I'm afraid I don't have the time or the creative streak to administrate such a thing though. If anyone starts something please post it here!

Edit: And thanks, Stalinator for doing this LP. It was a great read. Next time I'll actually sign up for a star player.

Since interest seems to be there, and I'm sure there'll be more later, I'll give it some serious thought. If anyone has any good ideas for a premise, that'd be good to post. I'd be down for something like the Super-League where it's just a mix of semi-fictional places, but if they are real places, we can map them in OOTP! And divisions and such would just be semi-random. A theme might help give ideas, but it can just be improvised as we go along.

Look for something around early September, when I'll actually have time to get it ready. No point if I'm gone all August.

For now though, give me a week and I'll have a final conclusion update for this LP - including all your players' ultimate fates.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

JosefStalinator posted:

Since interest seems to be there, and I'm sure there'll be more later, I'll give it some serious thought. If anyone has any good ideas for a premise, that'd be good to post. I'd be down for something like the Super-League where it's just a mix of semi-fictional places, but if they are real places, we can map them in OOTP! And divisions and such would just be semi-random. A theme might help give ideas, but it can just be improvised as we go along.

Look for something around early September, when I'll actually have time to get it ready. No point if I'm gone all August.

For now though, give me a week and I'll have a final conclusion update for this LP - including all your players' ultimate fates.

Even if you don't want to start until September, Jo, I would start recruiting now. No small number of students on this forum either, so fall might be impossible for some, but perhaps a lot of advance notice will help. I am a professor myself, so I must confess that I am not 100% sure if I will be able to participate, but I will do my best.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I was looking at the statistics from the last ('83) season, and I noticed that Nif (and one other guy, admittedly) tied with Drago for the league lead in RBIs. Apparently Drago could still win the Triple Crown being tied in one category, but I would have loved it had Nif picked up another RBI in the last game of the season to pinch him at the post. I know that Nif got the last laugh, winning the Caliphate Championship and all against Drago's team, but it would have been a riot had he kept him from getting the Triple Crown. I also find it amusing that arguably the two best offensive players in the league, Drago and Nif, are a shortstop and catcher respectively... positions known for defence far more than offence.

Also, give Nif credit for his defence in the playoffs. He's a solid but not spectacular catcher by his ratings, but he threw out drat near everyone who tried to steal in the SLCS (Sunni League Championship Series) and the CCS. I am tempted to go back through all 9 playoff games and see what his caught stealing percentage was, because I do not recall anyone successfully stealing on him. As a chap who used to catch (and keep wicket, but that's totally different), getting a base stealer at second is huge because it not only makes an out but keeps a man out of scoring position. A lot of those games were very tight affairs, so catching a guy at second is huge.

*Also, that 3-run home run in game 1 of the SLCS was amazing - totally changed the tone of the series even moreso than Cash's walk-off.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
The LP was a lot of fun; I would've liked to see another year, but I get that you're busy.

OotP 15 is in the latest Humble Weekly Bundle in the $1 section for all those who were interested!

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

I have my 30-team European league almost set up, I would just like input on the NPC team names. Would you prefer I showed you the list here or start a new thread?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Danny Glands posted:

I have my 30-team European league almost set up, I would just like input on the NPC team names. Would you prefer I showed you the list here or start a new thread?

Not my thread, of course, but if we are going to discuss it going forward, a new thread would be the most appropriate. I look forward to seeing what you have; I have actually spent a bit of leisure time thinking up good names for teams from major cities around the globe.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

probably should be in it's own thread, but a link here wouldn't hurt either

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

sorry, college just started and I've been busy, but the new thread will be up this weekend.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Danny Glands posted:

sorry, college just started and I've been busy, but the new thread will be up this weekend.

So I just returned from my trip abroad - care to post about exactly what it is you have brewing, and provide a link to the thread?

If you want to chat about more fine-tuning or league rules/names, I'll join Synirc on a channel of your choosing. Might be fun to have a few funny things lined up before you move this forward.

EDIT: gently caress it ill hang in #goonootp for now.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The things that happen when you leave me to my own devices...

There's a LOT of stupid as gently caress names in ASOIF.

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

Okay I am interested in Game of Pennants.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Are you sure? Because when you play the Game of Pennants, you home run, or you're out. There is no 'base hit'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sky Shadowing posted:

Are you sure? Because when you play the Game of Pennants, you home run, or you're out. There is no 'base hit'.

My Game of Pennants inspired me for one other horrible gimmick idea:

Ōllamaliztli, Aztec baseball.

In it, the champions of the league win - and those who fail, all get summarily executed. An inaugural draft every year to replace the other teams' players :getin: :black101:

I'm gonna gently caress around with a GoT themed one but I don't think I have time to LP it, sadly. I also owe you guys an epilogue before that!

• Locked thread