Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

JosefStalinator posted:

1979, every Middle East country, represented by their capitals

I vote that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Voting 2B. As much as I love the catcher, he's "already" 27; in 3 years he potentially hits the 30 wall and we'll be looking for a new catcher. I feel like we can find a great catcher in 6 years with Bala more than we can find a great 2B in 3 years with Abdul.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Draft a reliever and make him a starter! Who cares if he has two pitches, with all the extra innings he'll learn others! Maybe. Hopefully. Probably not but who cares look at that fastball/slider :syoon:

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

If this idea ever gets done again, maybe sim the whole draft first & then let goons pick which team they take over after the rosters are set? We're already at the point where we're picking through the trash heap for starters.

The important thing to realize is that so is everyone else. Don't be discouraged, goons!

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Fida and Najeeb sight unseen.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

I like 2B Juan Lopez sight unseen. From those potential numbers he's a slightly below average hitter with OK/good defense at second base, and good speed and baserunning. He'll make a great pinch runner off the bench if he can't crack the starting lineup by learning SS or 3B (if he doesn't have some skill there already).

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Lopez is the best first baseman we'll ever get, defensively. He'll never drop the ball, he won't have far to roam and he won't ever have to throw the ball.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

I'm going to gamble against the rest of the league's fielding prowess and say more Stealing Bases, Hit & Run and Run & Hit. We've got great speed. If we can get an extra base here or there, we should.

Also Hook Starting Pitchers more quickly. The bullpen's dominant, let's get to them a little earlier. Again, I don't think we're losing by a lot, so keeping a run off the board could well be the difference.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

My steals lead! :qq:

Antitonic posted:

I wish I knew more about baseball in order to understand all the numbers and things, but the writeups are doing enough that I can keep up somewhat.
Somebody in the thread will be able to tell you if there's a particular stat you don't understand; ask away!

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

habeasdorkus posted:

Trade Cam Stephenson! He has no power and his defense is too good and he's not enough like Adam Dunn! He stinks!

:argh:

Move the walls in! Less room for fat outfielders who can't run to make errors in the field, allowing for bigger sluggers at all 3 OF positions, and more dingers across the board! Everyone wins!

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Restock the farm. Don't care positions, do care youngsters. We're in a good spot right now as it is and we aren't going to get a ton better via free agency, but if we can steal an under-the-radar middling prospect and turn him into trade bait or a usable piece that'd be great.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

JosefStalinator posted:

I would have been fond of a ye olde bayseballe gayme set in medieval times.

I didn't know I wanted this until now. :allears:

Amazing how in one month the league can go from one historical no-hitter to three (one perfect, one almost). You'd think the league would have run them up in year one, with the high-caliber pitching going against the very weakest offenses as none of the young hitters have had a chance to grow into their potential yet.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

1. Who should we draft for our first pick?
Farrah bin Kedar, "SP" (slot, easy)

98mph left-hander :syoon:

2. What should our general strategy be for the remaining rounds:
Conservative - draft cheap, go for easily signable guys who might turn out alright

Add depth, we have none. Take chances on scarce positions (catchers!) for the increased chance of returns and a higher trade value.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Game 1: Price
Game 2: Tor
Game 3: Malley
Game 4 (if necessary): Price if down 2-1, Shadowing if up 2-1
Game 5 (if necessary): Price if Shadowing pitched Game 4, Tor if Price pitched game 4

1B: John Black
CF: Eric Garrett

They're trying to hide the rest of their pitching staff. We just need guys that'll eat up pitches and string innings along just enough to wear them down, get to the bullpen and make them put somebody else on the mound. Furthermore it gives us better options off the bench (Jihad a slugger if we need dingers, Rex for a defensive replacement) than the alternative.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

1) No more sac bunts with Rex on second & the pitcher up! Rex is fast enough to score from second on the off chance a pitcher gets a hit; swinging he'll at least have the chance to do that. Bunting also means you're more likely to have to swing away with 2 strikes, which is usually a worthless strikeout.

Any contact that goes towards right-center is probably an RBI single, with their poor defense.

2) Walk Okba Gogo like it's going out of style. Dude's almost hitting .400 off Shadowing with a homerun 25% of the time. The nearest power threat is 3 batters after Gogo, and Gogo himself is no threat on the basepaths.

3) Throw bin Abdel nothing but garbage pitches. Great contact but his eye is terrible, which hopefully means he won't be laying off pitches and he'll just hack at everything for weak contact and easy outs with our great defense.

StupidSexyMothman fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Mar 5, 2015

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Base stealing in OOTP has always been a little wonky. Either everyone steals bases or nobody takes bases, like the runner/pitcher/catcher don't even matter. Also the AI is incredibly reticent to steal so if you're actually playing the games it's almost impossible not to lead the league in steals.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

We had a great record again this year, we'll be picking so late in the draft there's no reason not to blow the budget on a free agent. Worst case is what, we take a slightly less mediocre prospect at the tail end of the 1st because his contract requirement is lower?

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

The #1 overall draft pick should get more than 7 RBIs a month!
Also he has Very Low work ethic so maybe he just wants to bat less often. Bat him third!

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Flex did better than a shutout, that was a :siren:no hitter:siren: and a walk away from a perfect game.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Go after Bin Nazih, and you stay away from that shortstop like he's got the plague.

A first baseman who's prone to errors botches a ground ball or drops a throw; 99% of the time the absolute worst case is he turns one out into a baserunner at the least dangerous base as far as scoring threat. A shortstop prone to error turns double plays into runners at 2nd and 3rd, or a throwout at first into a ball sailing into the outfield and putting that runner on second.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Why give up a guy that's in our minors & on his way to developing to be just as good, just to complicate our roster and end up demoting a guy who doesn't really deserve it?

I say no but why is van Enk's morale tanked?

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

My issue is not so much the player-for-player move in itself, it's that it puts us in a spot where we have to make another significant roster move.

If we end up having to send a B- to the minors because we can't find an immediate place for him & he ends up mad that he's on a minor league team 40 games under .500, to the point where we can't get a D in exchange for him, are we really better off?

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Hot/cold are absurdly overpowered. Their performance is definitely affected, but it won't show up anywhere but the stat sheet. Their ratings appear the same, they just massively over/underperform until the streak snaps...somehow. It's not entirely clear what criteria are involved for creating or breaking a streak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Alby; there's a guaranteed game 5 anyway for Price to pitch at 100%.

• Locked thread