Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

I like the Cold War idea, but I think we could go a bit differently - how about Europe, whatever region Germany is in, Germany, 1950? Nothing better than baseball to bring the two halves together, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Would it be possible to have a Soviet team and an American team in this league? Because that would make for some fun poo poo, I'm sure of it.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Yeah, the 2B is probably the best bet right now.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Ghostwoods posted:

My first inclination is to vote for the pitcher -- because I'm British, know nothing about baseball, and am aware that a top-notch bowler is an absolutely vital weapon in a cricket match. But the people who seem to know what they're talking about clearly favour the 2B chap. So 2B it is.

The SP is probably the second best choice out there, and it's a fairly close thing. If Eckersley turns out to be right and we end up with poo poo for our ace pitcher by the time the second pick rolls around, then we might have some problems, and I see no real reason why he should turn out to be wrong, given that he's got experience and I don't.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

tadashi posted:

One thing that we aren't really discussing that Stalinator brought up is that our scouting director isn't very good. All of the ratings could be off slightly :negative: so I'd also advise making the scouting director mysteriously disappear firing that scouting director as soon as a better one is available.

I thought the idea with the scouting director was "well, he's poo poo, but we can't get a new one before the draft is over, so we'll deal with that later".

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Farooq and Zakkariya. Pitching!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Bin Mansur and Kahiga. Positional scarcity!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Bin Yasser and Miranda. Pitching! Again!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Abdul-Aliyy Ayinde and Harb Khaldoon. Closers!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Fida and Talal. Closers! Again!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

bin Tawfiq, 1B and bin Mahir, MR.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Ubaid and Cabrera, CL

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Echoing Maudad as our scout.

Lineup looks good, but I have to ask, are there pinch runners in this game, or do you have to do that manually? Because it seems like it'd be a waste to not use bin Ayman's speed.

And I like Akinshuji as our fifth starter.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Ghostwoods posted:

So, am I right that out of our team of 25 men, 8 are actually the core squad -- and there are five pitchers because they get so totally wiped out that they're only allowed to play once every five games? Does that mean they get like ten games a year?!

Yeah, though it's more like twenty to twenty-five games a year. Pitching is hard as gently caress on you, and the players really do need the rest.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Ghostwoods posted:

I can definitely see one game a fortnight being more than enough.

Not for professional teams. One game every five nights or bust. Now that's hell.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

The strategy should be in the middle for everything. Just like people do in the Super-League, it should probably be best to run a balanced strategy during spring training - we can figure out what we're good at later.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Aww yeah, check that 0.57 ERA. This is off to a good start.

Also, keep Tresher in. That's no Jim Jam level split, so I think we'll be fine.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

IcePhoenix posted:

The game isn't infatuated with it per se, but certain player personality types will be upset if they aren't being used as the closer. I always just set everyone to Middle Reliever and set my three or four best guys to "use more often," so the game will prioritize using your best reliever is high leverage situations instead of saving them for later in the game. If someone gets pissy that he's not getting the almighty saves I trade him for someone just as good (and probably cheaper).

And god damnit, they're within their rights to be pissed. I want SAVES! Thankfully, it seems like everything is going just fine so far. Two innings, clean sheet - let's keep that going.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

This stat talk needs more TOOTBLAN.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

BOOM! That's the power of an elite closer. I'm telling you, that elite bullpen will go a long way.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Let's go with Wamochia Akili, the SP. The Freak hungers for saves, and he can only get them when the pitching staff doesn't gently caress it up beforehand.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Akili, SP - yes
Ka'im, C - no
Vargas, SS - no

Watanabe, RF - yes
Harada, SP - yes

Pitching! Can't get saves with pitchers throwing a ~8 ERA. Also, holy poo poo, our bullpen is on fire.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

habeasdorkus posted:

But that's not my main concern. It's our GM gambling on a lowball offer to our second round draft pick! We lost the next Omar Vizquel because he offered only 150k! Fire Pete Rose, what has he ever done in this game anyways? And don't tell me about America, everyone knows that US stats don't convert over to the real big leagues here in the Eastern Hemisphere.

Who's this "Omar Visquel" guy?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

habeasdorkus posted:

Omar Vizquel is an 11 time Gold Glove* shortstop with a career OPS+ of 82. Your prototypical "all-field, no bat" shortstop who nevertheless put up a near hall of fame career over 23 years thanks in large part to being just dynamite at shortstop. Though the better comp for Abdul-Muhaimin might be Rey Ordonez, a three time Gold Glove shortstop who couldn't hit at all (career OPS+ of 59). Even Ordonez was a useful player, though, simply because of how good he was on defense.

* Award for best fielder at a position, one per league.

:ssh: Yeah, but he's only like twelve years old right now.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

.82 ERA? Allowing a .144 AVG only? .71 WHIP (currently undercutting an MLB record)? 486 ERA+? 2.24 FIP?

:getin: Let the Freak Show continue.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Less stealing and more bullpen sounds good.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Yeah, a four man rotation seems pretty good. Alby - Tor - Price - Flex - Alby as the plan, with room for changes depending on how things go.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Yeah, we can definitely win these games, but it all comes down to the hitting and the SP being up to snuff for the pen to take over.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Play Alby. Can't argue with the stats.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

JosefStalinator posted:

We can't bribe the umps, but we can intentionally bean players. If we do it more than once, there's a chance they'll kick the pitcher out and possibly suspend him (which would make him unable to play for a few games).

If it comes to the point where we've almost certainly lost the series, I want you to bring MacGregor in and just have him bean fuckers as long as he can. Just straight up clock bitches with that fastball. It would be a fitting end to the first season of a league dedicated to bringing peace in this war-torn area if some Scot just comes in and gets really pissed at people in the first playoffs.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Clearly, MacGregor was not fed enough saves throughout the series, and this was his way of flipping the skipper off.

Even having a Bumgarner-tier performance from one of our pitchers wouldn't have been enough to turn this series, though. It just wasn't to be. Next season, we'll be better prepared.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Yes, Nuzhet, No.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Vote Quote posted:

John "Whiteboy" Black, LF/1B, Age 39, 66/71. Demand: 1 year/$500,000

Rob "The Freak" MacGregor, CL, Age 28, 79/79. Demand: 3 years/$330,000

Prince Kelly, RF, Age 30, 46/45. Demand: 1 year/$320,000

Abdul Rashid-Husain, MR, Age 39, 60/60. Demand: 1 year/$190,000

Lufti Imad, RF, Age 42, 22/23. Demand: 1 year/$170,000

Alex "This isn't cricket" Campbell, CL, Age 38, 36/53. Demand: 1 year/$150,000

Rahim "Hefty" Lefty, SP, Age 36, 20/41. Demand: For some reason refuses to negotiate with me

Yoonus Tamam, C, Age 36, 23/23. Demand: 1 year/$135,000

Clement Gueguen, 3B, Age 34, 32/34. Demand: 1 year/$125,000

Hoshi Uemura, C, Age 32, 23/27. Demand: 1 year/$120,000

I agree with Soviets, let's get some fresh blood, but we've got to keep Uemura.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

I'd like to see starting pitching targeted. Beyond that, go nuts.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

LordPants posted:

Raif - I prefer defense over hitting at SS, where as Torres has a weak arm and is a converted 2B, as great as his bat is. Sinan would be an okay fourth outfielder I guess but he doesn't knock 'em dead defensively as a CF and has a bellow average bat.

Baykurt - All roughly the same but he's slightly better overall.

edit: to complete my jerk scout assessment I'll say Sinan has an ugly girlfriend.

This sounds like a plan to me.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Armando Cedeno, SS - 11k
Emmanuel Torres, CF - 16k
James Suggit, "SP" - 55k
Gustavo Rosales, SS - 70k
Augusto Leon, "SP" - 75k
Tye West, "SP" - 120k

Maximum depth.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Why do we want to sign relief prospects? That's where you put you failed starting pitcher prospects.

These guys are failed starting pitcher prospects. We're simply being efficient.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Trade that poo poo. We must acquire the bulliest of bullpens.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

JosefStalinator posted:

The lovely thing about our relief staff is that it only gets attention when things are going wrong. Everything is going right, so there's no need to pay any attention. This is amplified by our starting rotation doing really well too.

Friar John could easily be a closer on half of the league's teams, and instead we have three guys who are all legit closers :negative:. I think the most amazing thing about our bullpen is how few injuries it's seen. I would have thought John would have had to step up to the closer role at least for a bit, but instead MacGregor just keeps on chugging.

Clearly, the principle at work here is that The Freak only works best when properly challenged. If we just had some random bums in our bullpen (bums as in random bad guys, not Bums as in Bumgarners, that would be a good thing, though we would probably be putting them in our rotation instead), he wouldn't perform that well. But since we have multiple elite relievers challenging for the spot, it brings out an apex performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Well, good thing our guys are rested up this time. Clearly, we have nothing stopping us from going for the gold this time.

Also, Stalinator, you're up in the Dispersal Draft over in the Super-League.

• Locked thread