Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Irukandji Syndrome posted:

They just made another post confirming it'll be available in "North America, Central America, South America, Australia, New Zealand, United Kingdom and Ireland", so :toot:

Two episodes at 11 AM tomorrow from the sounds of it. The premiere is available to everyone, right, not just premium users?

Its just one. They're basically doing it exactly like the VN - there are two separate 1 hour episodes, tomorrow's is considered Episode "0" and next week's is "1" Its the same events from Rin's perspective and then from Shirou's, which is exactly how it occurred in the VN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Their numbering is weird. It's probably just the hourlong episode 0.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Irukandji Syndrome posted:

They just made another post confirming it'll be available in "North America, Central America, South America, Australia, New Zealand, United Kingdom and Ireland", so :toot:

Two episodes at 11 AM tomorrow from the sounds of it. The premiere is available to everyone, right, not just premium users?

Usually with CR, anything newly aired is unavailable to non-subscribers for a period of one week, after that anyone can watch it, albeit with ads and smaller resolution. I would assume the same would be the case with this.

Blhue fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Oct 4, 2014

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Blhue posted:

Usually with CR, anything newly aired is unavailable to non-subscribers for a period of one week, after that anyone can watch it, albeit with ads and smaller resolution. I would assume the same would be the case with this.

Yeah I read their terms, airing for free users will have a week delay, along with ads and not in 1080p

Stevefin fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Oct 4, 2014

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
Pretty surprised to find out its not on nico in english this time. I am super glad the only stream options I have now are pay services.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

.Clash posted:

Pretty surprised to find out its not on nico in english this time. I am super glad the only stream options I have now are pay services.

Or you could wait for a week :v:

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

.Clash posted:

If it's any consolation, there's an entire thread here dedicated to kicking around 2 day free trial codes for Crunchyroll. Hell, it might even convince you that paying for a subscription is worth it. It did for me.

Hell, the only time I think it's not worth it is when they miss out on shows like this, which is happening less frequently every season.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

.Clash posted:

I pay Crunchyroll to watch anime and have no regrets. :colbert:

You could always watch... elsewhere, but CR is really good, and you can always get one of those 2 day trials every week from the CR thread (unless they changed that since I payed up).

E: as had already been mentioned in the previous post

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
The real reason I watched the nico stream was the speed. An hour after the tv airing is pretty dandy.

Seems crunchy is 2 hours after which just that too far to stay up past my bed time for.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

I liked Nico's goofy comments running across the screen. I'll miss them...

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Thee things struck me about these "two" intro episodes:

1) I get the feeling the narrative itself might be mocking Rin. "There are no other masters at my high schooL", huh?
2) The narrative doesn't have the right to do that, though, as it's just as stupid. I dunno, this might just be me being annoyed that no one in the Archer class is an actual Archer, but the fact that they had a conversation about exactly that that seemed to go "OF COURSE I'M AN ARCHER" and then proceeded into a knife VS spear fight was kinda... come onnnn
3) It was quite pretty

It was about what I expected, and not bad.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

CR is also doing a promotion for two weeks free of prem right now/the past few days. I'm going to grab one of those when I get the chance to watch this mornings episode

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

that fight owned

other than that it was mostly exposition i already knew, but who cares, this is gonna be great

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

If it keeps on like this, I think it'll be a superb adaptation. Just on the quality of that prologue alone, I'd say this is like the Clannad anime was to it's VN: Infinitely superior. We'll have to see how much cooking is in this one in order to come to a full conclusion.

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag
I liked how archer was all like 'Of course my tea is good' during the morning scene.

novel spoilers I had forgotten that in the prologue you see Gilgamesh talking to Sakura.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Now we know how good this show would be with an actually interesting main character. Sad that it won't last.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

OnimaruXLR posted:

1) I get the feeling the narrative itself might be mocking Rin. "There are no other masters at my high schooL", huh?
2) The narrative doesn't have the right to do that, though, as it's just as stupid. I dunno, this might just be me being annoyed that no one in the Archer class is an actual Archer, but the fact that they had a conversation about exactly that that seemed to go "OF COURSE I'M AN ARCHER" and then proceeded into a knife VS spear fight was kinda... come onnnn
3) It was quite pretty

It was about what I expected, and not bad.

I don't really mind that Archer is more known for being a swordsman than a bowman, since his sniper skills aren't well suited for direct combat.

Excellent first episode, and it's nice that they gave such good treatment to the prologue. I'm expecting a flawless adaption here pretty much.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

OnimaruXLR posted:

Rin is always wrong about everything. That was kind of the entire point of the episode.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Ah Crunchyroll, finally a streaming service that doesn't limit by region...

quote:

Sorry, due to licensing limitations, videos are unavailable in your region.

:suicide:

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
That wasn't a very good episode.

I mean, it's fairly enjoyable if you've read the source, at which point you can admire how faithful a recreation is, but... There's a line between "atmospheric" and "nothing is happening," and this episode was way too far on the "nothing" side of the scale. Not awful, but I found it kind of boring, and I'm already invested in the material. That's not a good sign.

Well, the later episodes have more interesting material to work with. I'll just look forward to those.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Faithful and enjoyable are entirely different axes that have nothing to do with each other, even if you've enjoyed the source material. Personally I thought this would have been a good opportunity to edit the story down, but apparently the director disagreed.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tonberrytoby posted:

Now we know how good this show would be with an actually interesting main character. Sad that it won't last.
Shirou is fairly interesting in UBW, though. He's a piece of whitebread in Fate but he gets development and conflict in UBW.

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag

Endorph posted:

Shirou is fairly interesting in UBW, though. He's a piece of whitebread in Fate but he gets development and conflict in UBW.

Yeah but he's the most interesting in Heavens Feel in my opinion.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
I generally find that everyone is at their most interesting in Heaven's Feel.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

This part of the story in animated form somehow struck me how high and mighty Rin is sounding to even her classmates. She speaks in a ridiculously official tone which in reality would cause her to be bullied.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Dessel posted:

This part of the story in animated form somehow struck me how high and mighty Rin is sounding to even her classmates. She speaks in a ridiculously official tone which in reality would cause her to be bullied.

She's intentionally trying to be distant from everyone. But it's kinda hard to bully the supermodel that lives in a mansion who has the top grades in the school.

That fight was kickin' rad, I was not disappointed.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That was pretty great. Mostly the last 20 minutes or so, but great nonetheless. Having recently gone through the prologue I assure you all that they still cut down on a lot of BS with Rin wandering around the town and other miscellaneous scenes.

Some of the exposition is a little weird, because ostensibly they are supposed to explain stuff like what the Holy Grail War is all about and several lines (stuff like the Command Spell dialogue) serve that purpose...but at the same time it's clear ufotable is operating under the assumption that the audience came from Fate/Zero and isn't really giving them much elaboration. So some of that dialogue feels pointless or underwhelming I suppose. I guess this was a mostly decent middle ground.

The sound direction is also really good, which is good if they're going to overhaul the soundtrack with new stuff.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
From reading the visual novel, I didn't get the impression that Rin blushed so much. I thought that she was a bit cooler than that.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Was a good opening episode, one thing I noticed is just how much more violent the first battle is when you compared it to the first battle to fate zero, but the first battle of fate zero also quickly turned into a mexican stand off.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

That was pretty great. Mostly the last 20 minutes or so, but great nonetheless. Having recently gone through the prologue I assure you all that they still cut down on a lot of BS with Rin wandering around the town and other miscellaneous scenes.

Some of the exposition is a little weird, because ostensibly they are supposed to explain stuff like what the Holy Grail War is all about and several lines (stuff like the Command Spell dialogue) serve that purpose...but at the same time it's clear ufotable is operating under the assumption that the audience came from Fate/Zero and isn't really giving them much elaboration. So some of that dialogue feels pointless or underwhelming I suppose. I guess this was a mostly decent middle ground.

The sound direction is also really good, which is good if they're going to overhaul the soundtrack with new stuff.

They'll be explaining all of that to Shirou

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Man, that was so much better without the bullshit padding of Nasu's needlessly wordy prose.

Also, goddamn, why does everything ufotable make look so good?

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom

Waffleman_ posted:

Also, goddamn, why does everything ufotable make look so good?

Everything except Rin's face.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Stall_19 posted:

Everything except Rin's face.

That's a lost cause. :v:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Rin is beautiful, how dare you.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

A lot of the faces looked bad. It's the noses, they're really bad even for anime.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I just watched the episode and man is the introduction a lot of fun now that I don't have to scroll through loving 3 hours of long diatribes on magic and the Tohsaka family line. I'm kind of disappointed it didn't end the way it does there, but I got a loving sick action scene so it's all good. The three tracks of music they used in this episode sounded lovely and the voice acting is still super good. Gilgamesh, my kingu. Looking forward to the next ep where my second favorite character gets his start.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
After watching the first episode I am assured that UFOtable will make my nerd dreams a reality.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Clarste posted:

Faithful and enjoyable are entirely different axes that have nothing to do with each other, even if you've enjoyed the source material. Personally I thought this would have been a good opportunity to edit the story down, but apparently the director disagreed.

They did edit it down, though. Basically all the parts that led seorin to make jokes about lesbians were cut, for example.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh yeah, they did remove Ayako and Rin's weird sexual tension didn't they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

They did edit it down, though. Basically all the parts that led seorin to make jokes about lesbians were cut, for example.

Yeah, the original prologue was like 3 or 4 hours of reading whittled down to 45 minutes and yet it didn't feel rushed. It was edited down to HELL.

• Locked thread