Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etatoby
Feb 12, 2003

China makes me cry
Sup forums! Either I'm blind, or there's no projector thread. This must be rectified! The beauty of watching a movie on a 200" screen (or more) in the comfort of your own home, is a remarkable thing.

I'll start with a not-so obvious question. I'm setting up a small home theater and I've narrowed it down to these two models, with a similar price tag (€710 and €860, this side of the globe, if you're wondering):

Epson EH-TW570
3,000 lumen
720p
100 Hz refresh rate

Epson EH-TW5200
2,000 lumen
1080p
200 Hz refresh rate

Both have Epson's triple LCD technology, 15,000:1 contrast ratio, and support 3D (not that I plan on watching 3D movies, but you never know.)

I'm quite puzzled. I'll use it in a small room, as theaters go (5x5m / 16x16') mostly at night, so it will be reasonably dark, but in the past I've always felt brightness and contrast to be the defining factors for a projector's image quality, not resolution. I'd also like to project on a white wall, unless it comes out so ugly that I absolutely have to buy a screen, and I know that walls reflect less.

I'm planning on watching movies, not much else.

Which would you buy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
minimum 18k or bust. The only thing I've seen that is better than any monitor anywhere are large venue projectors on a small screen (small being like 8x5 foot). Its like a portal into something realer than real life

To try and answer your question I would not get a 720p anything this day and age, but in particular if you're going to be viewing it on a 200" screen.

I'm surprised there isn't a home theater subforum that seems like it would be exactly the sort of stuff SA would sperg on heavily

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
There is a projector thread in IYG.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2705815

etatoby
Feb 12, 2003

China makes me cry

1gnoirents posted:

minimum 18k or bust. The only thing I've seen that is better than any monitor anywhere are large venue projectors on a small screen (small being like 8x5 foot). Its like a portal into something realer than real life
That just reinforces my idea that a 3k lumen is better than 2k, whatever the resolution.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
They both matter, but I guess it depends on content too. On the other hand would you buy a 640x480 projector if it were the same price and 5000 lumens?

Part of me thinks there has to be a way to get a modern resolution at a good lumen without paying any more for 3D crap. But actual options, unfortunately, I am greatly uninformed for this class

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Go to the IYG thread I guess but since this thread is still open:

- 1080p absolutely matters at projection-sized screen ranges
- Lumen counts are generally enormously inflated and 2000 vs 3000 is probably not going to be a huge difference in a dark or light controlled room
- Projecting on white plaster/drywall is an awful idea and will really look like textured poo poo

Sources: I went from 720p to 1080p projection, have owned projectors for 8 years, started out with projecting on a wall when I was in university, have had several projectors, and have researched a lot

God speed, OP

• Locked thread