Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
id take a bad teeth brit over a fat rascal riding american any day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
i forgot to answer the question sorry op. it's because........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................imgay

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

JebanyPedal posted:

The British people that I work with occasionally are all very polite but they're also the biggest loving retards out of everyone I have to work with, constantly half-assing everything and being generally incompetent. Why is this?

the british guy who owns the place where my mom works is a giant redneck who hunts, listens to country music and wears nothing but camo and hunting and guy harvey shirts.

i didn't even know it was possible to love redneck culture without actually being from the south.

Pizza Segregationist
Jul 18, 2006

"Maths" is pretty dumb. You say "mathematics is interesting" not "mathematics are interesting" so why act like it's plural all of a sudden when you abbreviate it

ProfessorMurder
Aug 27, 2003

I can wet the bed in the shape of Abraham Lincoln
i'm a maths teacher. not one math. MANY MATHS

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

MrWilderheap posted:

"Maths" is pretty dumb. You say "mathematics is interesting" not "mathematics are interesting" so why act like it's plural all of a sudden when you abbreviate it

no actually both of these are acceptable

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Ello govner time for a spot o' tea and a game of catch with the ol' boomerang!

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

nomadologique posted:

No they aren't because math is actually dumb and uninteresting you see

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

Thump! posted:

No they aren't because math is actually dumb and uninteresting you see

i see you hold a trump card

this trick is yours

Pizza Segregationist
Jul 18, 2006

nomadologique posted:

yeah I figured they were but sometimes I hear people use it like it's singular but still say maths and i'm all AT LEAST BE CONSISTENT DAMMIT

THIS IS IMPORTANT

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

why is aluminium right but platinium wrong? answer me that you drat brits

Pickle dicker
May 25, 2014

by XyloJW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C802Z5IIKH4

:catstare:    :unsmigghh:they're about molesting young boys. they're about molesting young boysssss.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

spoiler: IT SOUNDS DUMB AS gently caress OUT LOUD which is exactly the american problem with 'aluminium' because we're not conditioned to be retarded about that from birth

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

spoiler: IT SOUNDS DUMB AS gently caress OUT LOUD which is exactly the american problem with 'aluminium' because we're not conditioned to be retarded about that from birth

british people don't understand the concept of writing words as they're pronounced though, they basically invented having a language full of archaic holdover poo poo. lancastershire is pronounced 'lancashire'. there's a whole syllable missing. these are not bright people

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

they got it from theyre french overlordes

Fyuz
Dec 15, 2004

icantfindaname posted:

lancastershire is pronounced 'lancashire'. there's a whole syllable missing. these are not bright people

there is no such place called lancastershire

worcestershire though has the missing syllables

ProfessorMurder
Aug 27, 2003

Fyuz posted:

there is no such place called lancastershire

worcestershire though has the missing syllables

wooster

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

MrWilderheap posted:

because 'mathematics' in long form was originally referred to a plural phrase because it came from an even longer form which was 'mathematical sciences' where 'mathematical' was an adjective and the plural of the 'sciences' part eventually got transferred over to the 'mathematical' part to give us 'mathematics' because people were too lazy to say such a long phrase all the time or something. the mathematical sciences at that time included not just geometry etc but physics and stuff--anything that involved geometrical reasoning. when each mathematical science became its own independent discipline essentially distinct from the physical sciences the plural form stuck and so we still have 'mathematics'--but now the plural better reflects the different sub-disciplines within mathematics because there is more to mathematics now than just geometry. the term 'mathematic' in the singular was used up until the end of the 17th century to draw attention to the unity of mathematics as opposed to its diversity but that fell out of use and became obsolete, but then the victorians tried to bring it back again but it was so gay that everyone ignored them. so nobody says 'mathematic' anymore but some still have that hold over from its original adjectival form 'math' and/or its later noun use to reflect the unity of mathematical reasoning and so they say 'math' in abbreviated form but 'mathematics' long form. so both are right but i say 'maths' because i was brought up to say it that way.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcU7FaEEzNU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i like british sluts tho

ProfessorMurder
Aug 27, 2003

Orkin Mang posted:

because 'mathematics' in long form was originally referred to a plural phrase because it came from an even longer form which was 'mathematical sciences' where 'mathematical' was an adjective and the plural of the 'sciences' part eventually got transferred over to the 'mathematical' part to give us 'mathematics' because people were too lazy to say such a long phrase all the time or something. the mathematical sciences at that time included not just geometry etc but physics and stuff--anything that involved geometrical reasoning. when each mathematical science became its own independent discipline essentially distinct from the physical sciences the plural form stuck and so we still have 'mathematics'--but now the plural better reflects the different sub-disciplines within mathematics because there is more to mathematics now than just geometry. the term 'mathematic' in the singular was used up until the end of the 17th century to draw attention to the unity of mathematics as opposed to its diversity but that fell out of use and became obsolete, but then the victorians tried to bring it back again but it was so gay that everyone ignored them. so nobody says 'mathematic' anymore but some still have that hold over from its original adjectival form 'math' and/or its later noun use to reflect the unity of mathematical reasoning and so they say 'math' in abbreviated form but 'mathematics' long form. so both are right but i say 'maths' because i was brought up to say it that way.

i didnt read this, but i agree with the entire loving thing

Pizza Segregationist
Jul 18, 2006

Orkin Mang posted:

hm, well.. that actually makes sense I guess

I'm sorry I said maths was a dumb word :)

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

it's because of all the inbreeding: e mutates into ae, o into ou etc.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
So they can make fun of people named Peter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTaKDnSIb4c&t=52s

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

british people don't understand the concept of writing words as they're pronounced though, they basically invented having a language full of archaic holdover poo poo. lancastershire is pronounced 'lancashire'. there's a whole syllable missing. these are not bright people
Lancaster is a city in the county of Lancashire, after which the county is named. It is not pronounced, or written, as 'Lancastershire'.

You blooming plonker.

edit: that guys totally right about Worcestershire though, pretty quirky i got nothing for that

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH2KwQ4eM2A

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

I listen to BBC news in the morning and have learned that Brits like to put unnecessary 'r's on the end of words.

President Obammer on Tyoozday said....

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
lorry

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

icantfindaname posted:

british people don't understand the concept of writing words as they're pronounced though
u wot m8.

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012
knickers sounds better than panties ill give you fuckers that

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Aluminum is the correct original spelling. Uptight brits got upset that it didn't have an i like the other elements and added one despite it being unnecessary and stupid.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
flammable? :can:

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

The British have a respect for the history and lineage of things, including language. The American has no respect for anything other than where their next McDonalds meal is coming from, and has simplified the glory that is the Queens English in the pursuit of creating some mongrel language wiped clean of any character.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

the culminator posted:

knickers sounds better than panties ill give you fuckers that

Bollocks is a fun and inventive way of saying balls or rear end or whatever as well. Really, the Brits have better swear words all around, but only because they sound so unoffensive and kind of polite.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Thump! posted:

Bollocks is a fun and inventive way of saying balls or rear end or whatever as well. Really, the Brits have better swear words all around, but only because they sound so unoffensive and kind of polite.

Bloody hell is the best expletive ever. I wish I lived in an english speaking country just so I could use it in everyday conversation.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

opus111 posted:

Because it's our language.

no it isn't, you stole it from the germans and the french

it's like 30% your language at best and most of that is unrecognizable from how it started

MeLKoR posted:

Bloody hell is the best expletive ever. I wish I lived in an english speaking country just so I could use it in everyday conversation.

no it isn't

i mean it is for british people i guess but have you ever heard an american try to use "bloody" as an expletive

it's worse than "whilst"

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012
theatre :jerkbag:

also british slang all sounds funny and pg-13 but it definitely doesn't sound badass. British people cant come up with words like fuckboy or bitchmade its just not in them.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
making up slang is annoying brits are annoying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

gary oldmans diary posted:

making up slang is annoying brits are annoying

Even some filthy drunken scotsman proclaiming you are a 'bawbag' is poetry compared to anything issuing from an Americans uncouth 'gob'

• Locked thread