Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anakha
Sep 16, 2009

If I learned anything from the original Mechcommander, it's that getting an assault (or its equivalent in Clantech) this early in the game can break it wide open.

Make with the lightning smiting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
The Flashman, 2A. Because poptarts seems to have a huge on for lasers, and it can carry a lot of 'em.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

3C because it'll make things harder, and also Crabs are great.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I like PPCs too. They're slow and hard to hit with but the unlimited range is really nice.

Autocannons and missiles are good and reliable weapons in Mechwarrior 2, Ghost Bear's Legacy, and in the no-economy version of Mercs.

They're just too inefficient for an economy-enabled run because when a contract says "We will pay you for reasonable ammunition expenditures" what it's really saying is "if you don't use a full ton of ammo you'll get it refilled at the end of a fight; I hope you bought several tons to replace what you've fired!"

I'm not going to bring an AC/20 just to fire 4 shots (1 ton is 5 shots), and the while the game is pretty lenient with its money the costs start ramp up significantly as we start getting lancemates (and we will be required to do so in order to win). Paying for ammunition can burn through funds that may be better spent on making sure you have a spare `Mech or two for when your lancemates get shot out of a machine.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
Fwashman 2A

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Jade Star posted:

The Flashman, 2A. Because poptarts seems to have a huge on for lasers, and it can carry a lot of 'em.

Except this is Mechwarrior 2 Mercs so anything can. The only things that matter in this game are tonnage, slots wasted by actuators and whether or not the hitbox is hosed up.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Voting 2D because I love the Flashman and the Assassin is a perfectly good mech if you customize the hell out of it. You know, like any mech. I hope later it can be replaced by a pair of Crabs though so that the lance can be a mobile laser light show.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
All hail mighty Zeus!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

2D

Mostly because it's named the Flashman. How can that not work out?

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
2a: Mercs need to bring the flash man, so get the Flashman! All those lasers make for a nice light show that'll make enemy mech's red faced before they explode in joy. And No real need for a lancemate quite yet till he's got a decent ride. Slapping them in a light 'un can just be asking for a new mech and mechwarrior replacement.

Also had no clue you could get a free mech from doing that mission later!

thiswayliesmadness fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Oct 2, 2014

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.
Zeus, but hire the sadist if he will be unavailable later!

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011
Zeus
I like the sadist though, he works for dirt cheap and just wants to battle.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Silly mechwarrior, flashman is a megaman boss!

I already had the pleasure of crabbing it up in the olden days, so get that Zeus! Teammates are for when you really need them later on, enjoy the satisfaction of getting the job done yourself while it still lasts.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

anakha posted:

If I learned anything from the original Mechcommander, it's that getting an assault (or its equivalent in Clantech) this early in the game can break it wide open.

Make with the lightning smiting.

Oh man, once you learn the trick with the madcat you can't unlearn it.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
God of Thunder vs Lightbulb, gotta go with THUNDERGOD.

Zeus

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Take The Zeus. Then one day you can use it to save your lance mate who will leave you to die on some godforsaken rock and take all you worked to build for his own!

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Zeus

It's time to bring the thunder!

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
2D. Flashman at the charge, baby.

Scintilla fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Oct 2, 2014

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

1: Zeus. Having a lancemate to pull your fat out of the fire is good, but it's much better to be rolling in a big armored ball of go gently caress yourself so you don't get in trouble and need saving in the first place.

I would also like to second how incredibly atrocious the Catapult's bounding spheres are (I think it predates "bounding boxes" so it used this tech instead, there's a cheat code to make them visible). I no longer recall which mission it was, but I remember driving a Catapult while my lancemate was in a Crab. I just could not beat that mission because I kept getting my head shot off. It got so bad that I kicked my lancemate out of his Crab and took it for myself to finally get through the mission. I never noticed a similar problem with the Jenner, though. I guess it's because I always used it fairly early on, so I guess I wasn't getting shot at by very accurate guys or heavily armed, and this was compounded by the fact that I had some hustle on me, so they couldn't land any square shots to the face.

Rewatching this did remind me of that weird way Dumbeye grunts during one of the missions. What the hell is he doing in his cockpit at 3:30 when he tells you to shoot at those grounded fighters? Do I just not want to know? I think I'm better off not knowing. :gonk:

Oh, and because mercs change like mechs, and this guy works cheap, if you have some spare money after buying and tricking out the Zeus, maybe hire him just so you have him handy when you can afford to buy him a Mech. Unless you can afford to keep the Metal Baby around too, in which case he can roll in that.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
There's really only one choice here, and it's not the Zeus, as great as that machine may become.

It's time for the Flashman 2d

Edit: terms and conditions may apply.

Keru fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Oct 2, 2014

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
Oh my God. As much as I hate to disagree with such a piece of art...

Buy the Zeus.

Lancemates are a liability this early. You might as well pick up Lobo and pay him enough to keep him in his cups or his weird bondage gear or whatever the gently caress it is that he's in to, but I think it's early days yet for bringing along a pal human shield.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Flashman

Was it just me or was the voice actor for 'Dead-eye' the same one as the mobile field base in Mechwarrior 3?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Both Flash and Zeus are such good choices, I can't decide :(

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
In an ideal world, we'd have both flash and thunder.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I'll decide for you then, Zeus. This is a game about big stompy robots. Let us stomp.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Can you actually afford to re-fit that Zeus once you buy it? I assume it's going to be needing a bunch of new guns, and probably some new JJets, and some more heatsinks.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

goatface posted:

Can you actually afford to re-fit that Zeus once you buy it?

Absolutely. If I couldn't the option wouldn't be on the table.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
Bring the thunder. Zeus.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Keru posted:

There's really only one choice here, and it's not the Zeus, as great as that machine may become.

It's time for the Flashman 2d

Edit: terms and conditions may apply.

Should be a lancemate, call sign "Xarbala".

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
So how good are AC's in this game anyways, big damage or a waste of space?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
As PTN noted, an AC/20 gets 5 shots per ton of ammo. From what I can remember from playing this game about 16 years ago, the ACs do decent damage, but the ammo is extremely restrictive.

(Pretty sure I always turned on infinite ammo and invincibility as a kid)

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 2, 2014

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
2d

Flash (ah-ahhhh)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tarezax posted:

This is the correct way to play this game as a kid. Or even to just sit back, relax, and blow poo poo up. I remember being a fan of the Hunchback as a result.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
2d please.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
Zeus

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Tarezax posted:

As PTN noted, an AC/20 gets 5 shots per ton of ammo. From what I can remember from playing this game about 16 years ago, the ACs do decent damage, but the ammo is extremely restrictive.

This is something that they changed by MW4 Mercs, and is actually a change I appreciate. Any ammo-using weapon you put on a mech gets ~2 tons of ammo by tabletop numbers at no tonnage, and each ton extra you put towards ammo gets you ~2 more tons worth of shots at tabletop numbers. So an AC/20 comes with 10 shots and each extra ton gives another 10, a Gauss Rifle starts with 16 and each ton puts you up another 16, etc. As I think PTN mentioned earlier, it's actually okay to change tabletop mechanics to make a game in a different medium be fun and viable!

Also, and I'll admit I have not play MW2 Mercs so I could be wrong here, I think people are overestimating how better the Zeus is than the Flashman. It's 5 tons heavier, and can carry, at least in the tabletop, only 1 ton more armor. Now, granted, if there's no restrictions on what weapons you cram into your mech and you can't tweak the engine, then yeah there's no reason to not go with the Zeus if tonnage is all that matters. But some comments have made it out like the Flashman is terribly less armored than the Zeus, which isn't the case. Heck, by the screenshots posted, the Zeus actually has less armor than the Flashman! 11.5 tons compared to 13.5.

One final thing- anyone know why the Flashman is listed as only having 73 out of its 75 ton capacity filled?

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The autocannon talk does remind me of something. Earlier, Poptarts posted that machine guns are basically useless. And this is indivually true. However, machine guns mounted in massive quantities can be pretty mean. Let's compare a bank of ten machine guns to a single AC/20.

Range? AC/20 wins here, since if memory serves, MGs are 90 meters and AC/20s are 270.
Critical slots? Technically a tie, as they both take ten, but the autocannon wants ten contiguous slots, while the machine gun bank just needs ten total, so you can split them up among locations.
Weight? Machine guns win this one, as it's almost a third as heavy, weighing in at five tons total compared to fourteen for the autocannon.
Damage? One AC/20 slug is 20 damage, and ten machine gun bullets at two each come out to twenty. Note that tabletop makes you roll a hit location per gun, but the sims do not: where you aim is where your hits land.
Ammo per ton? Machine guns come out ahead again, because assuming you group fire all ten machine guns (and if you aren't why the gently caress are you bothering with this), that's 200 bullets per ton divided by ten bullets per use for a total of twenty salvos, compared to five per ton of autocannon ammo.
Heat? This is the category where there's no contest at all. AC/20s generate seven heat every time you fire, the machine gun bank generates zero, so you can hold down the trigger and hose bullets for as long as your ammo holds out. Which it can do quite nicely due to the fact that you effectively have four times as much of it.

Now there are some major downsides here that are not quite handled by this. An ammo explosion from AC/20 rounds will do 100 damage, an explosion from the machine gun ammo is two thousand. Plus you can only mount...I want to say fourteen different guns? So if you mount an AC/20, you've still got room for plenty of lasers or PPCs or missiles or what have you. If you go with the bank of machine guns, you can carry maybe a few lasers for taking out things that don't shoot back or just in case you run out of ammo. It's a really stupid, gimmicky build, but it's great if you're doing city fighting or have enough jump jets to close incredibly quickly.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The downside is that autocannons and machineguns fire more quickly than the game can assign damage, so if you're just holding the button down you're actually doing significantly less damage than you could be.

The reason for this isn't game balance, it just has to do with the number of polygons on screen at any given time.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
How does it manage things like fully racked Catapults?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

goatface posted:

How does it manage things like fully racked Catapults?

It crashes, based on my memories of loading a certain 100 ton mech with nothing but LRM racks and group-firing them all at once. :v:

• Locked thread