Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.
Voting for option 1 - the Zeus

pffft who needs lancemates with an 80 ton death-dealer that I'm sure it'll be after its refit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

Wolves on the Border and Double Blind are two that I do recommend.

Another one that I think is legit good is Heir to the Dragon. That one and Wolves on the Border make a nice duology since there are a few characters and plot points that follow from WOTB into Heir, but it's mainly a cool novel about Theodore Kurita being a badass in his reckless youth.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

Elliotw2 posted:

Actually, for whatever reason Mechwarrior 3 works perfectly on Windows 8. Vista/7 however, the physics literally do not work and you will just float into the sky.

I didn't know it worked on windows 8, that's cool. Did you have to do anything special for it to install or did it install from the disc fine?

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

Yeah PTN something I was wondering with the first mission in this tree is if the game automatically removes the mech you're using in the mission from your merc unit's inventory, or if you've just removed the Timber Wolf via the fluff update so you're not absolutely murdering everything for the rest of the game? Like, if you're actually good enough to kill every Clan mech, does it still autoeject you or something?

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

Zurai posted:

'Mechs can Stackpole in the MechCommander games as well, though of course they're in a different genre. To go back to a previous discussion, you can also salvage a Mad Cat after the first or second mission in, IIRC, MechCommander 2, if you know what you're doing and you get lucky.

Oh I always thought explosions in MC1 were from the ammo cooking off, not the fusion engines "exploding".

That Mad Cat was absolutely worth trashing a few lights trying to get a lucky headshot on in my campaign. Good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

Exodus Road is a chain of habitable or semi-habitable star systems between the homeworlds and the Inner Sphere. When the Clans returned, they brought infrastructure with them (Olympus-class recharging stations, etc) to any system that wasn't capable of supporting an outpost and an HPG of some sort. Task Force Serpent fought for every world along Exodus Road, it just got glossed over 'cause it's pretty meaningless.

I thought that Task Force Serpent was actually doing the whole "running parallel" to the Exodus Road specifically to avoid the Clan held worlds in the Periphery? The entire strike was supposed to be a big surprise until they hit Huntress. Serpent only had one fleet engagement with Ghost Bears due to bad luck run-in with them from what I remember.

edit: also on the subject of using uninhabited systems. It was mainly the IS and Periphery powers that were superstitious/scared shitless of doing anything like that due to the tech loss of the Succession Wars. Jumpships turned into stuff that was literally irreplaceable for the majority of the IS/Periphery worlds, with their hyperdrives being "black box" sort of tech. The Clans didn't seem to have that sort of proscription against it due to their higher tech base (i.e., knowing how to build Star League poo poo), and it also seemed to be fading from the IS' superstition bucket with the tech renaissance leading into the Clan Invasion era. So, still not remotely preferred, but enterprising/desperate/ballsy forces would think about it.

Holybat fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Feb 19, 2015

• Locked thread