Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

AJ_Impy posted:

My second experience with the BattleTech universe (My first was a bunch of VR simulators in London) and one I remember with great fondness.

Unit name: Secret Clan Recon Unit, Callsign Bethany Cochrane

I'll agree with Bethany Cochrane but we need a better team name. I'd say...Lyran Mech Reporters.

Nope, next guy had the right idea. Hired Goons it is!

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Sep 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

2 D

Big guns for us, little jumper for the maniac. Sounds like the best of both worlds, really.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

I just wish ammo based weapons weren't such a trap in these games. You can get away with it in the tabletop game where you usually only have to deal with one relatively brief fight between what's usually equal opposing sides, but in the video games where you end up fighting many more enemies over a longer period of time, having half your firepower vanish partway through the mission because you ran out of ammo is crippling. That means you really only have like three weapon choices for most of the game: Medium Lasers, Large Lasers, and PPCs, and that gets kinda boring after awhile. It was much the same in MechCommander, though at least you had access to Pulse and ER weapons from the get go so there was a little more variety.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

There's Mechwarrior Tactics which admittedly isn't very good and is currently offline. But it's there! (Just...not right now?)

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Hmm, this sounds like it calls for some in character fail mission fluff from Bethany to resolve, doesn't it? :peanut:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I miss tabletop Car Wars. Like, a lot. :(

Station wagon with a turret carrying a laser cannon was my favorite ride. You could get it for pretty cheap, and if you had extra cash there was always extra armor and other toys to slather on top.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

We were playing a Car Wars match at my FLGS one day - this was years ago - and the map had two interesting features. One was a moat running around the perimeter of the arena, in which one particularly cheesebag motherfucker had decided to play a boat; the other was a pair of ramps crossing said moat instead of a bridge. The guy running the game had sat down and done the math using the ramp-stunt-jump rules that were in a later expansion and said that if you go off one ramp doing 55 you're guaranteed to land on the second.

Well, I wasn't doing so hot, so I decided that gently caress it, if I was gonna die early I may as well die doing something awesome, so I said "Hey, I have a universal turret on top of my car. How fast would I have to be going off the ramp to flip completely upside-down, shoot at that fuckin' boat at the apex of my arc, and then continue flipping so that I land on my wheel again on the other side?" Thinking, of course, that the answer was going to be "Yeah, no, that will never happen."

Cue the entire store - even people who weren't in the game - dropping everything and looking up rules and doing math to see if it was humanly possible. Even the dude I was shooting at. Everyone just sort of looked at each other and said "Let's see if Steve Jackson's half-assed physics rules can make this possible."

It was, I did it, and I had to roll boxcars to avoid loving up my tired and suspension on the landing, which didn't happen, so I was effectively out of the match after that... but that was the only damage that fuckin' boat took all day, so I was feeling pretty good about it regardless.

Yeah, the physics of Car Wars was surprisingly detailed. You don't get that attention to detail in today's games. Of course, today's games tend to play much, much faster so it depends on what you want, ya know?

Oh, hey, an update. Awesome! Too bad about missing the FRR campaign, but it should be fun watching Bethany gently caress it all up. I desperately want some Bethany fluff the way we're getting story comments in the main campaign!

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Okay the Vindy soloing the Atlas? That was pretty funny!

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Off the Rails!

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

To be fair, he never married Omi. So the sudden appearance of his son Kitsune Kurita (ahahaha) later was a complete shock. Victor did eventually marry Isis Marik. Their kids Jade, Burton, and Lee would go on to have exactly as much impact on the Inner Sphere as this pairing suggests it should (none at all).

I'm still a closet fan of the (completely incorrect) theory that Victor was actually a Word of Blake sleeper agent.

drat, you're not kidding about his and Isis' kids. I'd never heard of them before now and none of them even rates a page at Sarna!

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Saint Celestine posted:

Is competitive battletech similar to competitive WH40k, where everyone brings the most overpowered lists as possible?

I imagine it would just be Hellstars and poo poo vs another team of Hellstars, and such, very boring.

Also, there really is no "competitive battletech" that I'm aware of. Even at a big con like GenCon all you'll typically find are goofy arena games or big historical or pseudo-historical battles with multiple players per team and everyone playing with the machines provided by the scenario. Man, I don't think I've played a tabletop game that used BV player made lists since the '90s!

I think the main difference is that 40k has made a conscious effort to cater to army design, which in turn leads to tournaments and the like where-as Battletech has always assumed you're more interested in a quick pick-up game or in seeing how the Battle of Luthien would have turned out if you were in command style scenario games. Also, the Warhammer guys have hosed around with their game a lot over the years. The game in Rogue Trader is hugely different than Warhammer 40k 7th Edition, where-as Battletech is using more or less the same rules as were first published in 1984, just with some clarifications and additions.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

For similar reasons, the Warhammer -6D, which removes the MGs and SRMs in favor of armor and heat sinks, is a pretty popular 3025 'mech in my gaming circles.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Woolie Wool posted:

Why do you even need models? It's a pen and paper game (or a computer game if you use MegaMek). It's not like 40k where you must buy hundreds of dollars of models and the "correct" paint from Games Workshop. There are already four distinct tiers of technology (primitive, Succession Wars, Star League, Clans) so why not just add another tier instead of bloating the Star League tech base with ever more hyper-specialized sidegrades?

The more esoteric tech does at least have the advantage of giving lighter mechs tools heavier mechs don't really have access to. By 90 tons or so, even the question of an ER PPC vs. a regular PPC starts to favor the 3025 weapon more and more, because tonnage is cheap while heat and criticals are prohibitively expensive on an assault chassis.

To be fair to Games Workshop, ever since they quit supporting the tournament scene no one gives a poo poo about GW's old "only Citadel Minis and paint" rules anymore. It's been a great boon to modelers, and to Russian 40k mini knock-off companies, because people build whatever the hell they want out of whatever they want.

Or, you know, buy whole armies en masse on EBay.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

What this reminds me of is a similar mission in The Crescent Hawk's Revenge where you get a bunch of tanks, Von Luckners I think, and have to blast your way into a prison where your dad's being held. Which I did, after losing over and over and over again. It took ages, but one time I finally got either lucky or good enough to make it in with one surviving tank and the APC and made it back out again. It was a proud moment.

Even prouder, retroactively, when I found out online that if you drive past the loving prison and into a little garage you can capture a Marauder in perfect shape which makes the mission a cakewalk. :suicide:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

If I could magic any BattleTech game into existence, I'd want a "Star Lord" game in the same vein as Crusader Kings II. Possibly with a more robust (but optional) combat minigame but the emphasis would still be on trying to stop your space nation from imploding.

Then add in some randomizers so one playthrough you might get the Clans and another you might get Rim World Remnants and in still another you're fighting off pirates from the deep periphery who cannibalized the frozen remains of Kerensky's exodus fleet and I would probably play nothing else.

If I had any modding ability I'd do a proof-of-concept mod for CKII, but I don't. Give every nation the Viking trait that lets them low-level raid any other nation at any time in addition to the huge wars, make sure availability of JumpShips is the real limiting factor for combat, and boom: suddenly your first order of business is having the entire Lestrade, Hasek, and/or Samsonov families assassinated.

I desperately want this game. The closest I've come is to play Civ V with some of the giant robot units added in as House Davion. Do a round map, pick Japan, Germany, Russia, and China as your enemies, name your cities after planets, and start in the Industrial era to get that early Age of War feel.

Then feel regret, because it still isn't even close to the game I actually want. :sigh:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Deadmeat5150 posted:

The only good clan was Nova Cat.

I've always liked the Snow Ravens. I mean, sure, they're pretty silly in that they're the Warship heavy Clan in a society that frowns on actually using your Warships in combat and all, but they seem less assholeish than many of the other Clans. And hey, they made it out of the Wars of Reaving okay and merged with my favorite Periphery nation, the Outworlds Alliance, into the Raven Alliance. Works for me!

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Also, when you're running a fleet like Task Force Serpent, or the original SLDF exodus for that matter, was it's a lot less dangerous to go through uninhabited stars. Even if your jump engine dies, you can get it repaired by the other ships in the fleet or, worst case, evacuate to other ships and abandon the dead ship.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Kaislioc posted:

Speaking of which, I'm admittedly not all that familiar with the Clan rules of engagement, but surely they'd just dogpile you if you kept refusing challenges and swapping targets like that?

Eh, the Clans are all about personal honor. While they could declare you dezgra and dogpile you to death, it's within the realm of possibility that they'd just say "hey, he engaged me, my target now, back the gently caress off!" If you want to headcanon it, the fact that PTN's running around in a Timber Wolf makes it easier for the Clanners to think in terms of their own rules than if he'd been walking around in the Atlas.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

wiegieman posted:

Man, every time someone sends me off to sarna to look stuff up I'm reminded just how thin the Battletech art budget must have been.

You're not wrong. It was years into playing the game before I realized the Victor in the Tech Readout art was looking to its left not it's right!

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Read 'em and weep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJU4iA4TWIs

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

General Battuta posted:

This doesn't look very good either. :( I miss the Microprose/FASA games.

I thought it had potential. I've wanted Battletech to reset back to before the return of the Star League tech and arrival of the Clans forever. Then they can do an incremental increase in technology rather than the huge leaps forward that invalidate 90% of the original weapons and 'mechs.

Also they can make the story less silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

PhotoKirk posted:

The Jenner JR7-F is an absolute bitch to fight in 3025. 4MLs are enough to force a PSR on a 'mech.

Even the base model -D is a pain in the rear end. The extra armor and no chance of hitting SRM ammo makes the -F the harder 'mech to kill for sure, but even with the SRM-4, that's still four very mobile medium lasers to deal with.

• Locked thread