Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
2D. Flashman at the charge, baby.

Scintilla fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Oct 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

NewMars posted:

From what I can see mechwarrior 4 and it's expansions seem to get a lot of dislike, why is that? (I have only played the mercenaries standalone for 4.)

Mechwarrior 4: Vengeance had a bad campaign. Black Knight was slightly better but still bad because it half-assed its mercenary mechanics. Mercenaries was legitimately great and has only gotten better since MekTek released their Mech Packs.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Someone definitely leaned on MekTek and got them to pull the files. I still have them all from when they were freely available years ago. I thought I lost them at one point and got pretty pissed when I found out they weren't available anymore, but then I found I actually still had a full Mercs installation with all the packs on one of my external hard drives.

The MW4 series was actually my first experience with Battletech. I managed to snag Vengeance, Black Knight and MechCommander 2 all together by buying 'The Mech Collection' pack twelve years ago. It was one of those really cool bonus packs where you also got a massive instruction manual with individual weapon descriptions and stuff, which twelve year-old me thought was pretty neat. I played them all, bought the official Clan / Inner Sphere mech packs, then spent about a year hunting for Mercenaries before I actually managed to find a copy. I still remember thinking what a massive step up Mercs was compared to Black Knight, which I distinctly remember would actually periodically remove mechs and weapons from your Mech Bay every few missions. Oh, were you enjoying running around blasting everything in that Ryoken? Too bad, it's gone. Pilot something else, loser.

...Black Knight actually might be worse than Vengeance, come to think of it.

Scintilla fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Oct 2, 2014

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Jump Jets refill in the air in MW4, but the game models air resistance so you can't just fly around indefinitely.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Angry Lobster posted:

Another reason urban warfare is frowned upon is because it means unleashing one of the more potent weapons in existence: The Urban Mech, the most glorious jumping weapon-wielding trash can of all time :colbert:

Urbanmechs are pretty cool.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Atlas, gently caress Yes. Also keep the Zeus, it's been pretty good so far.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
It seems like you're getting loads of contracts from the Combine and very few from other factions. Does the game favour them or are they simply the best contracts available?

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
I tried installing MW3 on my Windows 7 machine once. The screen blurred horrendously whenever I walked or tried to look around. I managed to fix it by fiddling with the settings, but that broke the physics and made all the enemy and NPC units perpetually bounce up and down like demented rocket-propelled jackrabbits.

I just couldn't take it seriously after that.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

dis astranagant posted:

MW4:Mercs gets a lot rougher when you're playing on elite and all the enemies are bullshit accurate and you need that money to replace all the rides your lancemates get shot out of.

This. If you're playing on Regular it's a cakewalk, but on Veteran and above you actually need all of those resources to keep your robits in action. Plus maintenance costs can get pretty prohibitive if you're planning on keeping eight hulking Clan assault mechs and good dudes to pilot them on your payroll.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
You can be an Elemental in MekTek's MW4 expansion, but they die so easily it's not really worth it unless you're planning a gimmick match. I don't think there are any expansions that let you drive vehicles.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Bort Bortles posted:

Also can I have a link to the PTN tabletop LP thread? Or will I need archives?

Here. You don't need archives and the thread is still ongoing.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

SIGSEGV posted:

That's really the best part in all this. I lost my link to the thread he made on I forgot which forums to talk about that but I remember it was utterly hilarious.

I'm not clear on how the lawsuit happened but if it went through without the ELH dude folding I want to read what the judge wrote because its almost certainly completely hilarious.

I remember that thread. He comes off as a little off-base but not entirely out there. It's only when you read further into it that the true :wtc: becomes apparent.

As I recall the case was thrown out due to lack of merit, but incompetence abounded on every side.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

evilmiera posted:

All this talk about scams and suing people has me wondering: What's the biggest bunch of legal cases that aren't clan-related have been represented in the Battletech universe? Or just scams in general, as seen in this LP with the pirates offering fake gigs.

There's Meridian Manufacturing's Arbiter, a 35-ton Light Mech mocked up to look like a hulking Heavy Mech. It's sole armament consists of a Heavy Rifle, an obsolete piece of crap that can barely penetrate mech armour that it carries only a single ton of ammo for. The scam factor is that it was purpose built to deter pirates, who see what looks like a regiment of heavily armed Heavy Mechs marching towards them, poo poo their skull-and-crossbones patterned underpants and run away.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Rorahusky posted:

Meh, Ghost War isn't that terrible. If you want to see some real drizzling poo poo from Dark Ages, go read Daughter of the Dragon. It is horrifically bad. How bad exactly?

So bad that they had to write off the book's major villain in an incredibly retarded way, because they wrote themselves into a corner with the whole 'Katana doesn't want to kill Kuritan Soldiers while a warlord is hellbent on murdering her for shits and giggles' plot that the book is centered around. So instead they have the bad guy die in a drop pod accident because he's an idiot who thinks that while vomiting up in his neurohelmet is the perfect time to hurl himself in a metal box at a planet.

No, seriously. The main bad guy gets sick so bad that he can barely stand and is puking his guts out, yet is so determined to go fight filthy Gaijin trash that he gets into his 'Mech, gets launched out into an orbital drop... and then promptly paints the side of a mountain with his horribly mangled debris.

And somehow, this impresses TEH COORDINATOR so much that he makes Katana a warlord.

(Also, it features a side plot about a psycho in the Bounty Hunter armor who wants to murder Katana so bad that he gets off on it, only to turn around and join her side because Crazy Doesn't Need Reasons)

All of that is awful but I can't get over the fact that they named the protagonist honoraburu samuru girl 'Katana'. Like, even fanfic writers would think twice before doing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Tarezax posted:

IIRC he's talking about one of the posters in the Battletech LP thread. One of the more recent missions involved a pirate war, where one of the player mechs was a Blackjack with 10 machine guns.

It wasn't 10 machine guns.

It was 20. :getin:

• Locked thread