Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I second berryjon, a stompy robot should actually stomp. Not scuttle around waiting for a sidescroller protagonist to shoot it right in the eyelaser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I'll decide for you then, Zeus. This is a game about big stompy robots. Let us stomp.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Kilty Monroe posted:

The game that depicted LRM flights the best was MechWarrior: Living Legends.

How did that game do it, then? Fired them up like mortars and let them arc down?

Also, I hear something bad happened to MW:LL. For those not au faut with the dark tale of MWO, what happened? Did it get C&D'd when MWO was announced, like the Halo Battlefield mod?

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
That sounds really cool. It's a brilliant niche for light scout units that players might otherwise ignore.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
G'wan. Beat that mission and watch as the game showers you with money. I dare you.

Then write fluff explaining how and why!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
It's also worth remembering a lot of the features we laud now drew shrugs at the time. Space sims (that weren't Star Wars) famously undersold. Developers stopped putting losing paths into games because everyone just reloaded. Homeworld isn't that complex, mechanicswise. It got middling reviews on release for being shallow - "no terrain? In my RTS?!"

In hindsight, the 90s were a time of superior design-led development. Actually during the 90s everyone bought the game with the most lens flare.

• Locked thread