Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

tuluk posted:

thanks PTN.
I thought about it a bit, and will probably create a standalone dosbox advanced thread within the next day or so.
It wouldn't be fair to the followers of this thread to dump additional technical posts about off-topic DOSBOx stuff in here.

on-topic to this LP:
Once you've done the tutorial, the iconic Crab is the obvious choice for your next mech purchase.

Nuff said.

I managed to get Mercs working, spurned on by this LP. Thanks PTN, I'm now understanding why it's so revered (never had a copy as a kid, never got it working as an adult, until now)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Montegoraon posted:

I have a grudge against the Flashman, because of a certain something that happens in a certain mission.

I both appreciate and loving hate flamers thanks to that...

EDIT- I've been running through Mercs for the first time and can think of one guaranteed 'gently caress you Flashman' moment, and one probable. The former was where it's head flamer pissed me off.

Being vague because it's a future mission so no spoilers

Paingod556 fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Oct 15, 2014

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Ice Fist posted:

Haha why are the arenas dark? Is that a bug?

"Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to the semi-final round on Solaris. We hope you enjoy this mech combat that you won't be able to see or watch, BUT IT'S REALLY EXCITING"

Brockian Ultra-Cricket, Rule #3 :colbert:

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

dis astranagant posted:

Mektek added them to Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries but I never got a chance to see if they were actually fun to use.

Not really- it's basically just a super-tiny BattleMech in how it handles, but you're slower than just about every proper 'Mech.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Gwaihir posted:

The AI in 4 is cheaty as gently caress and will just relentlessly drill your CT to nothing on the hard difficulties which is all :|

dis astranagant posted:

MW4:Mercs gets a lot rougher when you're playing on elite and all the enemies are bullshit accurate and you need that money to replace all the rides your lancemates get shot out of.

Very much this. I did some 'testing' once, using AI vs. AI and no interference. The more skilled the pilot, the quicker the CT got cored. Which is a problem if the game relies on the player NEEDING to survive, yet the enemy focuses on bringing them down fast

dis astranagant posted:

There was a pretty good MW4:Mercs LP a while back. I forget if it ever finished.

TOILETLORD posted:

can i link to a mw4 lp? i like to share or not?

Screwby, I'll link it- http://lparchive.org/Mechwarrior-4-Mercenaries/

Note my Blip died in the purge a year or so ago, YT should still be fine.

MW3 though... I've tried, but a recurring issue with the game crashing on mission competition keeps stopping me. Everything I've more/less sorted, including resolution size and the bouncing APC

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Zurai posted:

Yeah, I think I'm just thinking of my Solaris Light Circuit build. I don't think Adders are in the base game (they might be in the updated fan release though, that added a lot of mechs).

It's in Mercs standard - you engage one during the Checkpoint run on Hersperus

Dual RAC was fun...

One thing I don't think was mentioned but there is a slightly different path for this campaign. Ejecting during the Clan fight doesn't Game Over- instead you continue, but it changes one thing during the next mission

I played the Dos version recently (because of this LP) and got it to happen

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Zurai posted:

'Mechs can Stackpole in the MechCommander games as well, though of course they're in a different genre. To go back to a previous discussion, you can also salvage a Mad Cat after the first or second mission in, IIRC, MechCommander 2, if you know what you're doing and you get lucky.

The original, the Mystique rescue op. It would hide on an island, with a bridge next to that sectors entire fuel stockpile.

Scary bitch when you've got maybe some Firestarters and Metal Babies

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

evilmiera posted:

Going to love seeing the failure states on these, let me tell you. Watching Kuritans get mad is the best part of Battletech. Right after watching Steiners fielding more Atlases.

Related- did you say there isn't a failure path for the last set of missions?

Cause there is

Good news is the Masakari isn't there for Op3
Bad news... Hope you like Battlemasters

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Hang on...

PTN, is there something different about your game? In mine, and in the guides online which I checked, Luthien 1 is an ambush in a city, the same map as the mission you just did. That mission though is Luthien 2. There was also that thing about the 'captured by Clanners' missions that didn't have a failure path, when it actually did (if your 'Mech goes boom in the first mission, the third is different as you steal a different 'Mech)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

wiegieman posted:

This is why you retire on Solaris or something. Just buy a bunch of land, let it earn, enjoy good security.

I like to think Niko would spend part of his retirement in the Valhalla Club with Duncan and Spectre, trying to one-up each other's bullshit

• Locked thread