Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

PoptartsNinja posted:

LP Vote 1:
What should be our Callsign?
What should we name our Mercenary Unit?
Up to 22 characters for both, you decide!

1. Hey You Kid
2. Paid Enough To Die

3. Get the Crab ASAP, Screw This Commando

:neckbeard: PTN this is gonna be awesome. Will you be willing to intentionally fail a few missions here or there to show off alternate paths?

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Clearly we should be Niko Snow of PGI Community Outreach.

Any time we encounter a bridge we should burn it.

Oh wait, this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

That'll do.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

It has the best bugfixes, fixes, and bugs. You really need to get it going :ohdear:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

You could always do that, I thought? At any given time you'd be shown a set of missions, some of which were arcs, some of which were just random. Each random mission lasted a month (?) or something, each arc lasted a time period it told you upfront to expect, and you could find new missions by either skipping the start of an arc's availability period or failing early from another arc.

There are some really cool missions you can only get by failing/ejecting/aborting. One that comes to mind is this defensive style mission, and if you screw up, it branches to a "hold the line" last ditch effort.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

I had trouble the first time too, but, ctrl-shift-alt RE and your target explodes. Little kids need a crutch sometimes.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

My ATI 3D Rage II All-In-Wonder with TV Tuner and RCA input/output and whopping 4MB VRAM could handle it :smug:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

That came with MW3.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

MechaCrash posted:

MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries comes with a mode for people who really don't want to deal with the finances. The story is the same, but instead of the line about "you own this poo poo now, good luck" from your former commander, it's "sign on with these guys, they know their poo poo and will take care of you." You don't have to buy your mechs or pay for anything, but what's available is limited by what the game's designers made available. You also do not get to pick your own missions, you take everything the game has in sequence, so it's more like the campaign from the original MW2 or Ghost Bear's Legacy.

Also to join the "new robot game" chat, my ideal here would be a game that's kind of like the Front Mission series, where you put together your robot from parts and arm it appropriately and train up the pilots, but with more of an X-Com thing to it, where you don't get new parts and weapons when the plot makes them available. If you want new stuff, you have to kick the poo poo out of the invaders and reverse engineer their toys.

I don't think I ever once picked that option, ever.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

We could get a capable mech, or we could get a cool mech. Obviously, we must go for the cool mech.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

3C because it'll make things harder, and also Crabs are great.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

On the other hand, you can customize the poo poo out of the cockpit, with things like missile-in-flight cameras and move the parts all around the screen.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

MW3 captured the best mech feel. Things moved right, sounded right, the scale felt right, thing sounded great, mechs seemed to balance right, heavy weapons cratered the landscape, you had the best movement options, the sensors options had the best variety, and the art design was excellent with really good quality especially for the time. Its expansion was pretty solid and also very tough.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Don't MW2 jumpjets refill slowly while you're in the air, compared with MW3 and MW4 that need feet on the ground? You can expend most of your bar on ascent and still be okay for a feathered landing.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

tuluk posted:

i'd advise using mechvm if you only have the Windows version of mw2 mercs.
it works decently on all the Windows versions of Mechwarrior 2 series and it isn't insanely crashy.
there is a unofficial patch on mech2.org that fixes most of the Windows version flakiness,
but the unofficial patch also has a chance of disabling custom mechbuilds.
http://www.mech2.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=806 Option 2 -Slug's Hook method

the DOS versions of the Mechwarrior 2 series are more stable than the windows versions.
the Windows versions of the Mechwarrior 2 series came out before DirectX, and are heavily confused by DirectX drivers & what they do.

i've been able to walk PoptartsNinja and Shoeless through getting Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries running in DOSBOx so far.
PTN's guide is pretty decent, and you can always PM me or ask on the goon #retrochat IRC channel for help with getting mechwarrior 2 games running in DOSBOx.
the one thing PTN's guide doesn't cover is patching* the mechwarrior 2 series games.

PTN: there is a 1.06 patch for the DOS version of Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries.
installing it will invalidate your game saves and your mechlab builds.
Shoeless and I discovered it yesterday when we had to patch his version of MW2:Mercs from v1.0 to v1.05.
explanation of what the 1.06 patch adds/changes: http://alumnus.caltech.edu/~dank/mercfaq.htm

You should help PTN get Win95 Mercs working because Mercs 1.1 is amazing. Maybe http://www.mech2.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=514 could help?

One of the big changes from the original 1.1 patchnotes is "Corrected shot checking. Fast projectiles do not miss their target due to changes in frame rate." Also dynamic salvage with a pile of fantastic bugs.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

That's too bad :(

Olesh posted:

LRMs are longer range, easier to hit with (being guided and all), and PPCs generate quite a bit of heat.

You can also hit F10 (or something) to get a camera view bound to your LRM flight, letting you use them as scouting tools.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

evilmiera posted:

Wait a minute, what? The Ares Conventions of war forbid urban warfare? Since when?

Not since the first mission which had us raiding a city.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Cythereal posted:

The undying creed of the Word of Blake Steve, as I understand it.

Word of Gates

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

The Panther that exploded on you was trying to do mech death splash damage, actually. There are a couple different AI behavior routines, and one of them is "If you are out of weapons, go kamikaze." One of the others that we've seen are "try to DFA" and "just run away."

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

Only if you'd taken damage to the legs already. Nothing in MW4 was capable of one-shotting anything else.

Although PTN is using "taking damage" very literally here, because it includes things like "walked through the trees" or "brushed by a machine gun."

Voting for a Dragon crammed with medium pulse lasers, my old MWO ride.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

GBL had some really cool city/base missions, some sweet space missions, some good "Clans meet the IS" moments, and the underwater stuff. They really tried to present you with some interesting scenarios and I feel like it worked out pretty well.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

I know I've said it before but things are much more fun with the proper dynamic salvage the last patch added. A lot of missions like these get more lucrative. Also, drat right about the game taking off the gloves. The terrain and enemy force composition gets more complicated, especially when compared to the super simple first missions. It's like they've spent the early fights playing coy about what they can do.

The Stalker mission and the Jandex mission are when the game starts to really get good, and the creativity starts to really show.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

The ice level is awesome as hell, I don't know what you guys are talking about (it is hard, hard, hard, hard)

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

The textures look great... well, as great as you'd be able to really expect. Good on you for getting them set back up. Buy that Atlas!

Jade Star posted:

Less salvageable, I'd imagine. It seems to vary game to game, and I'm not a big lore guy on mechs, but each game varies in the visuals of a destroyed mech. Here, the mechs completely explode and fly apart like fireworks. In other more modern Mech games I've played, they tend to stay intact and just collapse as smoldering burnt out metal husks that still look like they retain 50-80% of their mass and look pretty salvageable for parts and scrap.

Mechs in this title basically lose their joints when they die, so even a standing mech will blow into its gibs if you bump into it after it dies. I can't remember if that affected the dynamic salvage system the final patch brought, but I was always very careful to not bump dead husks for fear of losing salvage.

Regarding armchat, MW3 let you move your arms and torso independently in a fairly elegant system that did indeed encourage you to be able to make use of that mixed with different torso twisting mechanics to engage the enemy much more easily than MW2's kinda janky controls ever could. That game was so amazing.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Mechs losing their right arm first was an issue. An earlyish patch fixed it I believe.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

I vaguely recall another mission -- maybe it was one to hunt down a rogue soldier in an Atlas or something? -- where there is a dropship up high that has a pretty picture of a puppy dog on the side. That's in the most recent Windows build though.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

You'll notice this one's tagged 'Wolf Dropship' but it's a kittycat regardless. :ssh:

Oh this exact mission might be what I was thinking of, even, just with a cosmetic "fix." Along with lasers that hurt.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is possible? What? Really? This is amazing, this is going to be awesome :flashfap:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Bort Bortles posted:

Damnit I knew I was rusty. That did seem too simple....

Maybe it's since he just knows what he's doing, but these missions all seemed a lot longer when I was younger.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

I know we've hopefully got a failure run coming, but thanks again to PTN for putting on a good show :golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

AJ_Impy posted:

Ghost heat.

I'm getting flashbacks.

• Locked thread