Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

The moon rides high in the ink black cloudless sky with only the myraid stars for company. Warm sea wind carresses your cheek as the brig cuts silently through the water towards its prey. Bare feet scuff the decks and ropes are pulled, the sails are furled in, reducing speed as Captain Shark steps out of his cabin and onto the deck.

He smiles, lips stretching back across grey skinned face all the way to his neck, his teeth are rows and rows of jagged yellow daggers that you've seen bite the head off of more than one brave man. Still silent, he raises a clawed hand and twirls it twice in a clockwise circle, the ghouls harness the power of their borrowed vitae and dive into the deeps, gills claws and flippers already forming before they slice into blackend depths.

In just minutes they'll be on the deck of the galleon ahead of The Sanguine Dream, shortly after that the lookouts will dead and then the real fun begins. There were riches to be had tonight, gold, jewels, silks and sugar.

But also blood. Always blood.

Welcome to The Sanguine Dream: Terror on the Caribbean a Vampire: The Requiem game set during the golden age of piracy (roughly the late 1600's to early 1700's). Characters, and I'll be taking only 4, will be pirates sailing with Captain Shark and Black Betty on their ships, The Sanguine Dream and The Red Tide. The game will be about about the freedom of the seas, no worrying about the Masquerade, taking what you want and living out your desires free from the false morality of those stuck on the land. The Caribbean is vast and mysterious, explore the island fortress of a necromancer cult and their skeleton army. Raid the home isle of feral beastmen to steal their priceless crystal idol. Navigate the tiresome political squabbles of the land based kindred who's ports you visit to sell your booty and resupply. The nighttime sea is home to monsters.

This is more of an interest check at the moment as I'm at least 2 weeks and probably closer to a month from having an actual plot and story worked out, but don't let that slow you down. Post what you want to see from a pirate based game. I'll be designing some custom merits and switching some skills around to account for the setting not being modern day. I'm shooting for high adventure with an undertone of horror. You're bad guys, but it's by choice. You're not fated to devolve into a mindless beast unless you willingly go down that path, but without the niceties of civilization and the charade of the Masquerade, that path is wide and going downhill is always easier than climbing back up.

Okay, Rules for creation are as follows:

XP: +20

Blood Potency: start at 2 dot, cannot buy up with XP. This is free, but justify your power.

Covenent: The Brotherhood of the Sea. A covenent in only the loosest sense, the Brotherhood consists of Captian Shark, Black Betty and other vampires like them who have thrown off the safties and intrigues of land for the danger and challenge of the open sea. Unlike other covenents, not all members are kindred. Wizards, lupines, other, stranger things, as well as knowledgeable mortals have also succumed to the lure of the tides.

Benefits of membership: You may purchase dots in allies, contacts, mentor or retainer that represent another type of supernatural being. You also get one "weird" discipline dot free at creation and can purchase it at in clan costs. Weird disciplines are those from the Translation Guide or bloodline disciplines. The main and common disciplines as well as the signature disciplines of Mekhet, Ventrue, Gangral, Deava and Nosferatu cannot be selected. We will work together on converting the discipline to Blood & Smoke standards. Praestantia, Cruac or the Coils of the Dragon count as being "weird".

Free Skill dots: 1 in crafts, 1 in Sailing (replaces driving), and 1 in occult.

Background requirements: I need to know *why* you're a pirate. Is it by choice? Were you exiled from land? Are you searching for something?

Where did you pick up your "weird" discipline and how did you come to be a member of the Brotherhood? Alternatly, why are you a member of some other covenent and still a pirate? How do you communicate, what duties do you have and how do you discharge them?

How did you meet Cpt Shark? Or did you run into Black Betty first? What's your opinions of the pirates? Of unlife on the seas?

Every pirate has heard of a treasure or a lost isle of wonders, what's your seaman's tale? Where is the X on your treasure map and how serious are you about pursuing it?

Who's your worst enemy? Who is your closest ally?
New merits:

Sea Legs *-***

*: you've been on a boat, penalties for actions taken while on the sea or during a storm are reduced by 1
**: You know not to call a ship a boat, penalties for actions taken while on the sea or during a storm are reduced by 2
***: You are at home on the sea, penalties for actions taken while on the sea or during a storm are reduced by 3

Gunner *-****

You are able to use your firearm skill to reload and fire a ship's cannons without penalty, when commanding a cannon crew instead of the crew's. Firing more than 1 cannon adds the burst fire property for 2-5 cannons, auto fire for 6-10 and autofire +9 again for 10+ cannons. For every two cannons fired, an additional die is rolled to fire.

Firing a cannon is a wits+firearm roll. Reloading is an extended action needing 10 successes to purge and load the cannon. 0-2 cannons :-0 dice 3-5: -1 die 5-7: -2 dice 8-10: -3 dice 10+ cannons: -4 dice. Each roll takes one round.

Navigator * or **
* you can navigate by the stars at no penalty to survival rolls. Penalties for staying on course in rough seas are reduced by 1
** You know the sea lanes. Judging by the winds and currents, you can track ships as long as you know their heading as of 24 hours prior. Penalties for staying on course in rough seas are reduced by 2

Crow's nest *
All perception checks made while high above the surface gain the 9 again property and viewing distance before penelties activate is doubled. If Auspex is activated, this increases to 8 again.

Barnacle *** or ****
*** You can use level 1 of protean to merge with the hull of the ship instead of earth for no cost. Merging with earth costs 1 BP
****You can merge with the ship or with the earth for no cost.
NPCS:

Captain Shark

No one knows where the nosferatu calling himself Captain Shark came from, but for the past twenty years he has roamed the Caribbean, preying on the trade ships that seek to exploit the riches of the Americas. Horrific, even for one of his clan, Shark has the rough, grey skin of his namesake along with a mouth that can open wide enough to engulf a man's head. When making use of his protean discipline, which is often, Shark's mouth sprouts rows of seratted, triangular teeth that can bite clean through bone, leaving wounds that even vampires find difficult to heal.

Captain Shark is a man of great passions, he loves his crew with all his cold, unbeating, black heart and has faced sun and flame to rescue imprisoned crew memebrs. Those that reward his love (reinforced by his vitae suffused with the rum barrels) with loyalty are protected and taken care of. Those that betray him are usually punsihed by being the main course in one of Shark's cannible feasts. Unlike most kindred, Shark loves to eat solid food. Every full moon, he trusses up a slave, prisoner or tratior after the fashion of a roast pig and eats the poor soul alive. The kindred members of the crew are all invited to this meal, but they are only provided blood, spiked with rum or opium, if they wish. The bloody writhing meat is all for the Captain.

The pirate does not seem to have any over arching goal aside from securing enough mortal chattle to keep well fed and enough loot to keep his crew paid. Some whisper that his endless rambling across the waters is in search of some lost artifact, whether it be the foutnatin of youth, the lance of Longius or one of the fabled crystal skulls of the Aztecs. If there are truth to these rumors only Shark and Black Betty know for certain.

What is known, is that despite having contacts in many ports and a haven (and childe) on Tortuga, Captain Shark never stays on land longer than it takes to sell his booty ot repair his ship.
Black Betty

A gangrel of quiet ferocity, Black Betty has been with Captain Shark the longest of his inner circle. Betty is the child of a Tlaxcalan woman and a conquistador born in the 1520's. Her embrace came at a young age, one of the last remaining Aztec vampires kidnapped and then embraced her and left her to run wild on a newly arrived camp of Spainish settlers. The waif of a girl tore through the camp killing human and animal alike in her frenzy. When the rising sun began to burn her skin, something within her found the placidity of the dawn sea comforting and the fledgling vanished into the surf.

She spent years haunting the shorelines of South America, as content to feed on the cold blood of fish and sea mammals as humans befores she came across her first pirate vessel. Again there was an instant kinship felt with these men of sea, a respect they returned after she beat four of them into a bloody pulp when they fell upon what they thought was a skinny young woman hardly out of childhood. Sleeping safe, merged with the ship's hull, Betty became known as Black Betty for the blood soaked hood she had taken to wearing during raids, fighting in a controlled frenzy and tearing apart the opposing crew with her claws. Eventually, the captain of the ship began to fear Betty more than he valued her combat prowess. Having learned her weaknesses over the years of raiding, the Captain and his cronies were able to overwhelm the vampire, stake her and tossed her over the side, tide in chain for the sharks to eat as she was trawled behind.

That was when Captian Shark, on the lookout for this newest terror of the seas arrived in the Sanguine Dream, boarded the other pirate ship and unstaked Betty, offering her the quartermaster position on his ship and, eventually, awarding her a ship of her own.

Some say that Betty and Shark are betrothed, that both are under viniculum to each other. The trust shared by the two kindred does seem oddly solid. For her part Betty values the trust placed in her and enjoys having a partner who revels in the freedom of teh waves as much as she does. On land, Betty is quiet and surly, only showing any sort of kindness (or even interest) when she needs something from a mortal. On the sea, even on her docked ship, she is outgoing and vivacious. Eager to prove what she and her new ship can do, Betty may be even more aggressive than Shark when it comes to hunting down and attacking ships and convoys.

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Oct 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The last page or so in the general World of Darkness thread has some book suggestions. I've ordered Under the Black Flag by David Cordingly on their advice. Make sure you're looking at the Blood & Smoke version of Requiem.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Spoilers Below posted:

Hell yes, I'm interested. Would a Barbary coast Assamite pirate be cool?

Josef bugman posted:

I am definitely interested. Is it okay if I play as a reasonable vampire who still likes humans?

Yes to both of these. The majority of the crew are humans, so lording your vampireness over the kine herds will probably not win you many friends. To put it in perspective, the Sanguine Dream and Red Tide are both brigs which can have a crew compliment of 120 people. Out of 240 possible crew, only 9 are vampires (Cap Shark, Black Betty and 3 NPC I am figuring out) and only about 15 ghouls (outside of any the PCs might start with). That leave 216 mortal members over two ships and mutiny is as much a problem for vampire pirates as it is for mortal pirates, they just have more tools for dealing with it.

The PC's will be on Black Betty's ship, the Red Tide and, aside from her, will be the only vamps there. The two ships work in tandem to isolate and take down other ships using wolfpack tactics and communication is done with cell phones magical conch shells.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Just a heads up, I'd prefer to keep bloodline based characters to a minimum. Also, don't you need Blood Potency 2 to claim bloodline membership, or was that done away with in B&S?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Okay, so everyone knows what I like to see in character backgrounds:

-Enemies and allies: While I will have a main plot, I don't like rail roading, give me stuff to make the plot revolve around your characters.

-Linked backgrounds: No one likes a special snowflake that refuses to associate with the rest of the PCs. Having a linked background, even as recent as when your characters came on board the ship helps alleviate that fear.

-Specialized: Not minmaxed, but your character's stats, skills, disciplines and specialties make sense for their personality.

-World building: Make something cool, an island, a ship, a pirate, a port, whatever, help build this world and you get XP from it.

Things I don't like:

-5s: Okay, you're one of the best in the world? Why? What is it that makes you special? You can have a five, but it better be justified.

-1s in attributes: That always reeks of minmaxing to me. Why is your character so deficient in this stat?

-Special Snowflakes: Oh, so you just *have* to be this totally badassed bloodline that is so rare. Justify that poo poo!

Loomer I haven't read the bloodline write up yet, but from what you've said in the other thread, I'm cool with it because it seems to be in character for what you want to play. The dual social beat down disciplines on one character gives me pause, but I like everything else you've written so far.

XP: Play by Post suuuuuuuuuuuucks for developing characters, so I award XPs like candy along with free poo poo based on roleplay. You'll probably each get a free custom merit based on your character backgrounds anyways. In play, each character accumulates beats as normal, but when a character cashes in their 5 beats for an XP, everyone gets an experience point.

Those who have posted, let me know what type of game you want to play so I know how to tailor things.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
EDIT:/\/\/\ DO what you feel is right for the character. If I like the character but have problems with the mechanics, I will let you know and we'll work something out. It also doesn't mean that you won't have an opportunity to learn it during play!

Loomer posted:

a couple of centuries prior to his unfortunate fall into torpor.

This is one of the reasons I love Blood Potency so much more than Generation. We can have a vampire who's hundreds of years old without being either so much more powerful than all the other characters or immersion breakingly weak.

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Sep 25, 2014

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Don't read about bloodlines, I dislike them on starting characters. How you character took to a life at sea is important though. How he manaaged to stay out of the sun is very important. Things like this come to define your character and how they look at their requiem. This is a wonderful start of a character.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Nyarai posted:

This sounds super-rad. Are non-Fish Malks okay? Also, how do you feel about the Vampire Translation Guide?

I'm running a facebook game that's a V:tM/V:tR mashup, so I wanna keep this one strictly V:tR

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Arashiofordo3 posted:

I'm kinda struggling to know where to start with making a character. You want us to not pick bloodlines as starting characters, but are we free to plan towards joining any of them? Are the only clans the ones in the core book? Do we need a character sheet already or just a character concept?

As we're almost a month away from starting. a concept is fine enough. If you have a bloodline in mind, sure, start building towards that, but the five basic clans cover the majority of concepts well enough. If you do put a sheet together, you get 15 bonus XP and a free dot in sailing (replaces drive) and crafts.

While this sheet isn't set up for blood and smoke, it's easy enough to use and makes auditing sheets pretty simple for me: http://sheetgen.dalines.net/wiki/WikiStart

You have to make an account first, but that takes all of 2 minutes.

EDIT: If you want to start at humanity 6, take another 3 XP, no lower though!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Hay robo! Now that I've learned not to overplan, they can even come to a natural conclusion!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Robodog posted:

Taking a month to write up the game doesn't count as overplanning!?!

Nope! Planning what's going to happen once the PCs get their own pirate ships and progress into the modern day as elders and blah blah blah is what I'd usually do, forgetting to actually make stuff for them to do at the start.

Arash: sounds good, but does it need to be a bloodline instead of just a deava?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Everything onyx path has put out for world of darkness has been phenomenal.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Cool beans.

Just to clarify: I am cool with using the translation guide to purchase 1 wierd discipline if someone wants necromancy or flesh crafting or something.

I'll go into that more when I'm not phone posting.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Loomer posted:

Hnnng. Must resist urge to vicissitude.

Some of them ned to be reworked for 2nd edition, but yeah.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
For what it's worth, I award XP like candy.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Also: I haven't offically begun recruitment, but unless you can out vampire Loomer, Glaucus and Bloodnose, I only have 1 spot left.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

GoatLord posted:

I was going to ask if writing a novella would be a requirement for recruitment, but this makes it sound like the answer is yes.

What I'm looking for is a solid read on your character. If you can do that in a few paragraphs and get across why your dude is #1: Awesome #2 Not building a power base on land and #3) can survive on the sea, then you are good. The more world building you do with your character, the more likely I am to select it because, then, that's some world building *i* don't have to do.

EDIT: Alternatly, get to work on a werewolf biker for when Werewolf 2nd ed comes out, since that'll be my next game.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Bloodnose posted:

Because seriously a vampire pirate is like the dumbest thing I've ever heard of and it makes no sense.

This is truth! What sort of vampire is going to give up the ease of hunting in a city to sequester themselves on a ship with a limited food supply and no real oppertunity to grow their influence over mortal affairs? loving crazy vampires! That's who! Why are you so crazy?!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Okay, Rules for creation are as follows:

XP: +20

Blood Potency: start at 2 dot, cannot buy up with XP. This is free, but justify your power.

Covenent: The Brotherhood of the Sea. A covenent in only the loosest sense, the Brotherhood consists of Captian Shark, Black Betty and other vampires like them who have thrown off the safties and intrigues of land for the danger and challenge of the open sea. Unlike other covenents, not all members are kindred. Wizards, lupines, other, stranger things, as well as knowledgeable mortals have also succumed to the lure of the tides.

Benefits of membership: You may purchase dots in allies, contacts, mentor or retainer that represent another type of supernatural being. You also get one "weird" discipline dot free at creation and can purchase it at in clan costs. Weird disciplines are those from the Translation Guide or bloodline disciplines. The main and common disciplines as well as the signature disciplines of Mekhet, Ventrue, Gangral, Deava and Nosferatu cannot be selected. We will work together on converting the discipline to Blood & Smoke standards.

Free Skill dots: 1 in crafts, 1 in Sailing (replaces driving), and 1 in occult.

Background requirements: I need to know *why* you're a pirate. Is it by choice? Were you exiled from land? Are you searching for something?

Where did you pick up your "weird" discipline and how did you come to be a member of the Brotherhood? Alternatly, why are you a member of some other covenent and still a pirate? How do you communicate, what duties do you have and how do you discharge them?

How did you meet Cpt Shark? Or did you run into Black Betty first? What's your opinions of the pirates? Of unlife on the seas?

Every pirate has heard of a treasure or a lost isle of wonders, what's your seaman's tale? Where is the X on your treasure map and how serious are you about pursuing it?

Who's your worst enemy? Who is your closest ally?
New merits:

Sea Legs *-***

*: you've been on a boat, penalties for actions taken while on the sea or during a storm are reduced by 1
**: You know not to call a ship a boat, penalties for actions taken while on the sea or during a storm are reduced by 2
***: You are at home on the sea, penalties for actions taken while on the sea or during a storm are reduced by 3

Gunner *-****

You are able to use your firearm skill to reload and fire a ship's cannons without penalty, when commanding a cannon crew instead of the crew's. Firing more than 1 cannon adds the burst fire property for 2-5 cannons, auto fire for 6-10 and autofire +9 again for 10+ cannons. For every two cannons fired, an additional die is rolled to fire.

Firing a cannon is a wits+firearm roll. Reloading is an extended action needing 10 successes to purge and load the cannon. 0-2 cannons :-0 dice 3-5: -1 die 5-7: -2 dice 8-10: -3 dice 10+ cannons: -4 dice. Each roll takes one round.

Navigator * or **
* you can navigate by the stars at no penalty to survival rolls. Penalties for staying on course in rough seas are reduced by 1
** You know the sea lanes. Judging by the winds and currents, you can track ships as long as you know their heading as of 24 hours prior. Penalties for staying on course in rough seas are reduced by 2

Crow's nest *
All perception checks made while high above the surface gain the 9 again property and viewing distance before penelties activate is doubled. If Auspex is activated, this increases to 8 again.

Barnacle *** or ****
*** You can use level 1 of protean to merge with the hull of the ship instead of earth for no cost. Merging with earth costs 1 BP
****You can merge with the ship or with the earth for no cost.
NPCS:

Captain Shark

No one knows where the nosferatu calling himself Captain Shark came from, but for the past twenty years he has roamed the Caribbean, preying on the trade ships that seek to exploit the riches of the Americas. Horrific, even for one of his clan, Shark has the rough, grey skin of his namesake along with a mouth that can open wide enough to engulf a man's head. When making use of his protean discipline, which is often, Shark's mouth sprouts rows of seratted, triangular teeth that can bite clean through bone, leaving wounds that even vampires find difficult to heal.

Captain Shark is a man of great passions, he loves his crew with all his cold, unbeating, black heart and has faced sun and flame to rescue imprisoned crew memebrs. Those that reward his love (reinforced by his vitae suffused with the rum barrels) with loyalty are protected and taken care of. Those that betray him are usually punsihed by being the main course in one of Shark's cannible feasts. Unlike most kindred, Shark loves to eat solid food. Every full moon, he trusses up a slave, prisoner or tratior after the fashion of a roast pig and eats the poor soul alive. The kindred members of the crew are all invited to this meal, but they are only provided blood, spiked with rum or opium, if they wish. The bloody writhing meat is all for the Captain.

The pirate does not seem to have any over arching goal aside from securing enough mortal chattle to keep well fed and enough loot to keep his crew paid. Some whisper that his endless rambling across the waters is in search of some lost artifact, whether it be the foutnatin of youth, the lance of Longius or one of the fabled crystal skulls of the Aztecs. If there are truth to these rumors only Shark and Black Betty know for certain.

What is known, is that despite having contacts in many ports and a haven (and childe) on Tortuga, Captain Shark never stays on land longer than it takes to sell his booty ot repair his ship.

Black Betty

A gangrel of quiet ferocity, Black Betty has been with Captain Shark the longest of his inner circle. Betty is the child of a Tlaxcalan woman and a conquistador born in the 1520's. Her embrace came at a young age, one of the last remaining Aztec vampires kidnapped and then embraced her and left her to run wild on a newly arrived camp of Spainish settlers. The waif of a girl tore through the camp killing human and animal alike in her frenzy. When the rising sun began to burn her skin, something within her found the placidity of the dawn sea comforting and the fledgling vanished into the surf.

She spent years haunting the shorelines of South America, as content to feed on the cold blood of fish and sea mammals as humans befores she came across her first pirate vessel. Again there was an instant kinship felt with these men of sea, a respect they returned after she beat four of them into a bloody pulp when they fell upon what they thought was a skinny young woman hardly out of childhood. Sleeping safe, merged with the ship's hull, Betty became known as Black Betty for the blood soaked hood she had taken to wearing during raids, fighting in a controlled frenzy and tearing apart the opposing crew with her claws. Eventually, the captain of the ship began to fear Betty more than he valued her combat prowess. Having learned her weaknesses over the years of raiding, the Captain and his cronies were able to overwhelm the vampire, stake her and tossed her over the side, tide in chain for the sharks to eat as she was trawled behind.

That was when Captian Shark, on the lookout for this newest terror of the seas arrived in the Sanguine Dream, boarded the other pirate ship and unstaked Betty, offering her the quartermaster position on his ship and, eventually, awarding her a ship of her own.

Some say that Betty and Shark are betrothed, that both are under viniculum to each other. The trust shared by the two kindred does seem oddly solid. For her part Betty values the trust placed in her and enjoys having a partner who revels in the freedom of teh waves as much as she does. On land, Betty is quiet and surly, only showing any sort of kindness (or even interest) when she needs something from a mortal. On the sea, even on her docked ship, she is outgoing and vivacious. Eager to prove what she and her new ship can do, Betty may be even more aggressive than Shark when it comes to hunting down and attacking ships and convoys.

EDIT: Sorry for formatting and spelling. I had to type this in notepad at work, PM it to myself on facebook and then C&P'd from there to here when I got home.

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Oct 6, 2014

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

GoatLord posted:

Wait, so does this mean we have to take an unusual discipline that requires conversion from a previous system?

If you're going to join the Brotherhood covenent. I forgot to mention that Praestantia, Cruac or the Coils of the Dragon count. But yes, you membership in this exotic order has come about because of the strangeness your character has experienced and a non-common discipline is part of that. I've already reworked Chimerstry and Vicissitude because of my current game.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I'm going through backgrounds now. Loomer: I'm leaving yours alone until you get a chance to compile everything together. Also, I'm having to copy these on my phone, pm them to myself on facebook and then paste that to note pad to print up on the work printer.

So please include spacibg between paragraphs in your novel so I dont have a 10 page text block :p

EDIT: Nevermind. SA is blocked, but on a whim I tried to go to the forums directly and that worked.

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Oct 7, 2014

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
So far everyone has been submitting really intersting backgrounds that would make for good characters. So I'm going to focus on if the questions I need answered are taken care of, instead.

Again, those questions are:

Why are you a Pirate?
Why are in: the Brotherhood and how did you get that "weird" discipline /Covenent X and how do you maintain your membership?
How did you meet Captian Shark or Black Betty?
What is your opinion on Piracy/ Life on the sea?
What is your mysterious treasure?
Who is your enemy?
Who is your ally?

Let me know if I'm correct and address these in your backgrounds if they're missing

Glaucus atlanticus:
Why Pirate: Knows nothing else
B/C: ?
CapShark/Betty: ?
Pirates/Sea: ?
Treasure: ?
Enemy: Hunter?
Ally: ?

Goat Lord
Why Pirate: diablerie
CapShark/Betty: Helped escape
Treasure: Sister?
Enemy: ?
Ally: Yorick?

Spoilers Below
Why Pirate:?
Pirates/Sea: Enjoyed being a corsair
Enemy: ?

INH5
Why Pirate: Nothing left for him on land
B/C: Still Lancea?
Enemy: Whoever killed his sire?

Bloodnose
Why Pirate: ?
Enemy: Johan?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
In addition to. So, if you choose the Brotherhood, you get 4 discipline dots free. One just has to be a "weird" one.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

GoatLord posted:

What exactly is involved in joining the Brotherhood beyond being a vampire in Captain Shark's crew? It would be easy enough for me to justify membership in the Ordo Dracul, but how can I pass up free XP?

Except there is no ordo in this time peroid, I thought? Brotherhood is basically being a pirate and pursuing strange and unusual knowledge. I've not really developed it really, so if you wamt to add some depth to it beyond that, go for it!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

GoatLord posted:

Pursuing strange and unusual knowledge is 100% the MO of the Ordo Dracul. From the core book, Vlad Tepes became a vampire in 1476, and the Ordo Dracul formed around his writings. So depending on the precise time this campaign is set, it should have been around for somewhere between 100 to 200 years which is fairly young by vampire standards. And it was always the smallest of the five base covenants anyway, so it would be totally legit for whatever presence it has in the Caribbean to be subsumed by the Brotherhood.

Yeah, I'm fine with that. The Lancea and the Invictus are the only real covenant powers. The Circle is pretty much just pagan enclaves scattered about with even less of a unified theme than the modern day and Dracula is still getting his poo poo together.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Here's an idea I'm toying with:

I love cooperative storytelling and giving the players the ability to influnce not just the plot of the game, but the actual current scene. Mutants & Masterminds has a resource called "hero points" that players can spend to actually take control of the narrative and add something that benefits their character. In our sort of grim swashbuckling mashup, I want to try something similar.

I've already mentioned that I award beats like loving candy. The players in my facebook game already earned 7 xp after only two or three weeks of play that consisted of 1 in game night. I propose that the PCs can cash in a beat during a scene to allow them narrative control for their current action. That could mean making it so the Govenor's ballroom has a chandelier to swing from or finding the exact contact you need at port to give you the inside info on who's selling the treasure map you need.

You can also, once a scene, spend multiple beats to succede at one roll, every beat spent equals one success, so if you cash in the equivilent of 1 XP, you automatically get an exceptional success.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Also, I've got the plot for season 1 figured out. You guys have until the 18th to finish charcater creation, then I make my picks and we go live on the 22nd.

Game structure will be: 1 major plot, at least half of the personal plots depending on how well I can tie everything together, lasting about 6 months and then we take a break. If everyone had fun, we start a new season of the game in a few months time so everyone (specifically me) can refresh and get reinspired. At that point, if anyone drops out, we can add new players or just continue on with the original cast.

My long term goal is to jump this game forward about a century each season until we're in the modern day. But that is far, far away and if I focus too much on that, I'll end up flaking out, and I don't want that.

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Oct 9, 2014

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Good start, Arash.

Glaucus, I hate you for following through on your changeling threat.

For anyone wanting a supernatural template as a retainer: retainer 3 gets you a basic PC starting level template, 4 gives you 5xp onto that and 5 gives you 10xp. Remember that if you want to keep this retainer, you'll need to take care of them like a puppy.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Bloodnose posted:

"

Sheet: http://sheetgen.dalines.net/sheet/37168
I didn't take the extra identity merit because all the value and effectiveness of Israel/Pietro's second identity is covered by the Allies (Caribbean Jews) merit
I took one merit point for Spanish and Ladino together since a Spanish speaker could understand a Ladino speaker and vice versa. However, Ladino is written in the Hebrew alphabet, so a Spanish speaker wouldn't be able to read a Ladino letter. Likewise, I mushed Venetian and Italian together because I don't expect either to come up in the game so it shouldn't matter. If you think I need to spend more than two merit points on languages, let me know and I'll edit.

Nope, that's fine.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Great submissions from everyone, but I am purposefully keeping this at only 4 PCs, otherwise, everyone would be in.

Characters are:

Bloodnose Pietro the Mekhet merchant!

Glaucus atlanticus Maganda the Ventrue buccaneer!

Goat Lord Renee the Daeva swashbuckler!

and finally...

Loomer Kveldulf the Ventrue viking!

Here's what needs to happen next:

You four need to start talking here about how long you've been on the Red Tide under Black Betty or if you were here before the Red Tide when Shark, Betty and all the others were all on board the Sanguine Dream. You also need to write a brief little snippit on how you feel about the other PCs as well as the other named NPCs. I'll have a list of NPCs before that I really should have posted days ago.

Loomer! Get your sheet posted up on dalines!

We go live, Wednesday night.

NPC list

vampires
Captain Shark - Captain, Sanguine Dream. Nosferatu flesh eater who revels in his monstrosity while being loyal and kind to his crew.
Black Betty - Captain, Red Tide. Gangrel death dealer with salt water in her veins.
Lonesome Jim - Quarter Master, Sanguine Dream. Mad Mekhet runaway from the Lancea, cannot stand the hypocrisy of the pious.
Fehed - Surgeon, Sanguine Dream. Learned Gangrel from darkest Africa, warps the flesh of others as easily as his own.
Jean Mansean - Crew, Sanguine Dream. Gangrel childe of Fehed, spends as much time below the water as above it.

ghouls
Captain Shark's: Shark has ghouled those mortals who's company he enjoys. Their time as a ghoul is serving as their audition for the embrace.

Old Cully - Navigator, Sanguine Dream. Crude and rude to most, this hunch backed, one-eyed freak is the best Navigator on the sevens seas
Vincenzo Luzzato - Bosun, Sanguine Dream. Everyone's best friend with a smile that never reaches his eyes.
Sabine Detraque - Master Gunner, Sanguine Dream. A crone as likely to motivate her gun crews with the whip as with words.
Lord Arthur Bollard - Shock Trooper, Sanguine Dream. Lazy and indulgent in all but battle.
Lady Tabitha Bollard - Shock Trooper, Sanguine Dream. Laughs while tearing the entrails from her enemies.

Lonesome Jim's: Jim sees people for what they are. His ghouls are tools and he was erased their previous identities, replacing them with one that will make the best use of their talents.

The Black Priest - can control the wind and the tide in minor ways thanks to his frequent sacrifice to Things That Should Not Be Named.
The Spider - The most gifted thief anyone has ever seen, he is never seen unless he wants to be.
Dagger Sally - A kindly grandmother and unlikely, but effective, assassin.
The Smiler - The perfect spy. Male or female depending on the job, always the perfect person to confide in.

Fehed's: The gangrel ghoul is an experiment in intelligence and ferocity that unnerves even the bravest of foes.

Bobo - A chimpanzee, the Blood and Fehed's own gifts have given this monster human intelligence. It also consumes manflesh.

Black Betty's: Betty, like Shark, is testing potential childer. However, she is much more discerning, having only 1 ghoul.

Arturo Hernandez - Quartermaster, Red Tide. This Spaniard is Betty's right hand and runs the ship during the daytime.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

GoatLord posted:

I love this guy already.

I should have mentioned, Bobo talks.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

GoatLord posted:

So was it ever stated just how long the Red Tide has been in service?

About a year now. The Sanguine Dream has been sailing for a decade.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Excellent, just waiting on Loomer's impressions.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Going to spend the next few days sleeping after being away from home for almost a month. Game will start wednesday

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Talk it out, maybe Renee is in on the secret because....?

Or not, this is a perfect opportunity to work on some history between your characters.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Any last minute changes, let's get them in now. If something in someone's impressions of your character doesn't ring true, take this time to workshop and iron out the kinks!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Also: C&P the text of non Blood&Smoke disciplines so we can start converting them.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Loomer posted:

Right, Kveldulf's perspectives have been edited accordingly. And per request, the text of his weird-rear end discipline:
•Pact of Allure
Even the most primitive students of Ralab are armed with something to offer — and something to take. This Discipline takes the form of a pact between the Asnam and a mortal, who must willingly submit to it (though the Asnam is under no compulsion to explain the full ramifications of the deal). The essence of the pact is that the pair exchanges that intangible quality called “allure” until the next sunset. Neither party changes appearance, but the mortal typically seems more poised, charming, vital — she’s nicer to look at, though not in any way anyone can name.
The pact is consummated when the Asnam anoints the human with his blood, and the human lets the Asnam taste hers. (Only a drop is needed, though often Asnâm imply that much more is required.)
In olden times, this Discipline was commonly used as a direct exchange — you pay me, I make you beautiful for a while. In modern nights, fewer people believe in such things (though there are still gullible occult dabblers in every city), so a Asnam is more likely to use this with one of his own long-term followers to create a sort of “body double.”

Cost: 1 Vitae
Dice Pool: This Discipline is not rolled.
Action:
Once the Asnâm has taken and spent a Vitae from the subject, the mortal (or ghoul) can substitute the Asnam’s Presence score for her own, if it’s higher. This bonus lasts until the Asnâm next rises from sleep or torpor. (Thus the risk to the Asnâm: if the ghoul learns this, he may have good reason not to rescue his regnant from torpor so quickly.) Typically, only the homely seek out the Pact of Allure, but even the lovely can be driven to extremes by competition. Many Asnâm use Majesty to “polish up” what they offer, though the effects of that Discipline do not enhance a mortal who has made a Pact of Allure.

For that same duration, the Asnam does not provoke the Predator’s Taint in other Kindred (though he still needs to make Resolve + Composure rolls for frenzy as usual). His aura may reveal his nature, but the Taint is muted for the duration. Specifically, it’s redirected to his mortal pact-mate. Her aura shows her humanity, but she provokes Predator’s Taint in vampires as if she had the Asnam’s Blood Potency.
For an additional three experience points, this power may be expanded, granting the subject the equivalent of the Striking Looks Merit (••) for its duration. If the sub-ject already has Striking Looks ••, then this expanded power grants Striking Looks •••• instead.

Okay, for starters, we'll ditch the BP cost. Predator's taint is no longer a thing, so we'll change that to allow the vampire to add her presence rating to rolls to resist frenzy when the pact is in effect.

Loomer posted:

••Haven of Flesh
At this level, the lines between ghoul and goddess are so blurred that one can flow into another. By taking her worshipper into her arms, the Asnam can dissolve into his very body, dwelling invisibly within him until she chooses to emerge.
Cost: 1 Vitae
Dice Pool: This Discipline requires no roll to invoke.

The overlap of Idol and servant has a powerful effect on each. The Asnam can only slumber within her ghoul (though there are rumors of Auspex Devotions that let her perceive and remain awake). The Asnam may choose to wake up at nightfall, or if the thrall becomes afraid or any time the thrall takes damage. Any damage done to the thrall while the Asnam is ensconced is done to the Asnam as well, though bullets still only do bashing damage to her. If the thrall dies, she is automatically ejected from his corpse, coalescing like oil from his skin. No matter how or why she emerges, she has the option of automatically taking as much of her thrall’s remaining Vitae as she chooses.

The ghoul, while holding his Idol, enjoys a calm bliss of satiation — like a mild version of the euphoria of the Kiss, but extended on and on. All his dice pools suffer a –2 penalty due to this lassitude, but he can still walk, talk, reason, get on the plane to Fresno — even fight if he must. He may not draw on any of his mistress’ Vitae, however, save that which he had before she merged with him. If he does use up all the Vitae in his system, he feels no craving for it. After all, he has its source slumbering within — she can’t go far.
It is clear to Aura Sight that somethingis strange about the conjoined entities, though unless the viewer has seen this unique overlapping of auras before he’s unlikely to recognize what they mean. Other than that, there’s little way to rec-ognize the phenomenon. The ghoul carrier gains no weight, provokes no Taint and doesn’t even spook animals.
Action: Instant

No change needed, I think.

Loomer posted:

•••The Infinite Chalice
This feared Discipline is the foundation upon which an Asnâm can build a regional or even national cult.
Most Kindred keep their ghouls close, so that the thrall can protect the master while the master enhances the thrall. But the Infinite Chalice allows the bond of blood to transcend mere space, so that a Asnam may feed from a ghoul regardless of distance, or replenish his servant’s Vitae across miles, time zones and oceans.

Cost:1 Willpower
Dice Pool: Strength + Occult + Ralab – the subject’s Stamina
Action: Instant

This Discipline permits a transfer of Vitae between regnant and ghoul. Only the Kindred half of the pair can initiate the process. For each success rolled, the Idol can drain one Vitae (though he may take less if he so chooses). There is no swooning Kiss effect with such feeding, or pain. The ghoul may not even notice, if his regnant takes only a little. On the other hand, the ghoul may pale and pass out, suddenly and mysteriously a liter short on precious blood. When replenishing a ghoul’s supply, the Kindred may transfer one Vitae for each success rolled. He may donate less — for example, rolling three successes but only giving his ghoul one Vitae. Under no circumstances can he grant a ghoul more Vitae than the ghoul’s Stamina permits.

Suggested Modifiers
Modifier Situation
+2 The Asnam spends his last point of Willpower
to activate this Discipline
+1 The ghoul is within sight of the user.
— The ghoul is within 100 miles of the user.
–1 The ghoul is more than 100 miles away.
–3 The ghoul is more than 500 miles away.
–5 The ghoul is more than 1,000 miles away.

Also no change.

Loomer posted:

••••Of Will Undivided
Asnâm who are already glutted on the physical blood of their slaves can, with further study of Ralab, transfer the in-ner strength that is the very core of identity. An Asnam may bolster a tried-and-true worshipper to nearly superhuman levels of competence and concentration with this Discipline. Far more often, the Asnam uses it selfishly, sometimes leaving his thrall a veritable empty shell of a personality.

Cost:1 Vitae
Dice Pool: Manipulation + Occult + Ralab – the subject’s Resolve
Action: Reflexive

This Discipline permits the transfer of Willpower be-tween Asnam and ghoul. Only the Kindred half of the pair can initiate the process. With any number of suc-cesses, the Asnam can transfer a single Willpower point. If he’s draining, the ghoul loses a point of Willpower and the vampire gains it. If the Asnam is sending, the ghoul gains a point of Willpower and the Asnam loses it.
Suggested Modifiers
Modifier Situation
+1 The ghoul is within sight of the user.
— The ghoul is within 100 miles of the user.
–1 The ghoul is more than 100 miles away.
–3 The ghoul is more than 500 miles away.
–5 The ghoul is more than 1,000 miles away.

also unchanged.

Loomer posted:

•••••Unholy Avatar
If there is a more odious, inhuman and self-serving Discipline studied by the Asnâm, no one outside the bloodline is talking about it. The depraved apex of Ralab answers the question, “Why would a vampire bargain for a living infant, anyway?”

Through the warping influence of her blood, an Asnam who acquires a child who is too young to walk or speak can so entangle the child’s life with her Requiem that upon the destruction of her Kindred frame, her spirit moves on to vanquish that of the child (even if the child is grown by the time this fateful night comes). The soul of the child passes on to whatever waits beyond death. The Asnam retains the memories and knowledge of her Requiem, only now in a new place, residing in a new body. One of the Asnâm could infect a child with this curse, leave him somewhere to resume some normal life and then unexpectedly seize control when necessary.

Cost:1 Willpower dot plus 5 Vitae (see below)
Dice Pool: Presence + Occult + Ralab versus the subject’s Resolve + Composure
Action: To anoint the subject: instant; resistance is reflexive. To transfer the vampire’s consciousness: reflexive; resistance is reflexive.

The complete use of Unholy Avatar requires two rolls. The first is made when the victim is still an infant (less than one year old) and requires the expenditure of five Vitae and one Willpower dot. One of these Vitae must be fed to the child. If the role is successful, there are several effects.

• The child cannot be placed under a full Vinculum, and upon being fed any Vitae, makes a reflexive Stamina + Resolve roll to resist developing even a partial bond. A single success is sufficient to shake off the false adoration of the blood bond, no matter how potent the Vitae consumed. This protection persists until the Asnam takes over the child’s body, until the child is made another vampire’s ghoul or until death, whichever comes first. The supernatural bond of thralldom that binds a ghoul to his regnant super-sedes this power’s protection. Thus the Asnâm is faced with the quandary of making his Unholy Avatar his ghoul or of maintaining his back-up corpse’s protective anonymity.

• The child develops an extreme sensitivity to day-light. He suffers a –2 penalty to all actions taken in direct sunlight. The subject sunburns easily, possibly even suffering one point of bashing damage per additional hour spent in full sunlight after the first four (at the Storyteller’s discretion).

• No Asnâm can gain nourishment from feeding off this child, though other Kindred can feed from it as normal. Vitae taken from the subject harms her but is not claimed by the feeding Kindred — it simply vanishes.

• An Asnâm instinctively knows if his Avatar suffers lethal or aggravated damage or is killed. This effect operates no matter how far the vampire is from her subject.

• If the Unholy Avatar is Embraced, he is released from this power’s effects (as his body has effectively died).

• The child can (if the Asnam wishes) be ghouled with most of the normal effects — addiction, mental instabil-ity and access to Disciplines. However, one notable exception is that the child’s Vinculum resistance prevents him from becoming maniacally devoted to his Idol.The Asnâm often ghoul these children, once they reach the peak of their physical prowess and appearance — by keeping the Avatar eternally young, the Asnam ensures a fitting vessel when she decides (or is forced) to move on.

Aura Sight reveals that there is something occulted about the Avatar, but unless the viewer is familiar with the effect, he’s unlikely to recognize the tell-tale signs for what they are.
The Asnam cannot finish the transaction required by this power until her own demise, and even then it’s an uncertain thing. If she is slain (or kills herself because the Avatar’s body or circumstances are more desirable than her own), she makes the second roll to complete this power’s invocation, which costs no Vitae. If that roll garners even a single success, she takes over the Avatar’s body, which becomes, in that moment, that of a vampire.

Any blood (Kindred or mortal) that was in the Avatar’s body remains there when the new tenant moves in. When an Asnâm’s consciousness moves into its new body, the following changes are made:
• The Asnâm’s Mental Skills and Attributes replace those of the Unholy Avatar.
• The child’s Physical Attributes replace those of the Asnâm.
• The Asnâm’s Composure and Manipulation replace the child’s. The child’s Presence replaces the Asnâm’s.
• All of the Asnâm’s Social and Physical Skills are reduced by two dots, as the Asnâm is not familiar with his new body.

If the Unholy Avatar is not yet old enough to be a playable character (by the Storyteller’s standards), then these diminished Skills may be reduced even further until the Asnâm’s new body comes of age (see below). Some Skills (such as Expression, Intimidation or Athletics) may reflect the Asnâm’s former abilities faster than others, as the Storyteller sees fit.
• Merits must be handled on a case-by-case basis. The Asnâm’s Mental Merits most likely survive the transfer, but Physical Merits may no longer be usable until the Asnâm once again fulfills their prerequisites. Social Merits might be lost if Contacts and Allies no longer recognize the character.

• The vampire’s Humanity replaces that of the child. The vampire’s Blood Potency drops by one.

• Once the vampire’s wicked will replaces the subject’s, the new body begins to age and grow. This process takes a number of nights equal to 10 minus the vampire’s Blood Potency. Over this time, the avatar’s body alters to resemble the age that the vampire was at the time of his Embrace — unless the avatar was the Asnâm’s ghoul, in which case the ghoul’s apparent age at the time of the vampire’s destruction determines the body’s apparent age at the end of its transformation. These days of change are extremely awkward and painful for the vampire, who’s new body may be transformed from that of an infant to that of an old woman in a matter of hours.

• The Asnâm’s new body is effectively Embraced when the vampire’s will usurps it. It is considered to have Vitae equivalent to the body’s Health and be immediately subject to all the banes of vampiric existence — including the damage of sunlight.

Some Avatars are utterly ignorant of their fate. They are placed in orphanages, find good homes and often receive excellent health care and schooling, courtesy of some “mysterious benefactor.” Indeed, their lives seem charmed, coddled and protected by some anonymous mentor, until the day their spouses wake up and find the Avatars radically different . . .
Other Avatars know full well their fate. Even without a Vinculum, the wiles, Majesty and addiction of being Idols’ ghouls can so warp the Avatars’ minds that they are willing, even honored, to give up their body for their mistresses — though most Avatars are attached enough to themselves to try and stave off that eventuality. An Unholy Avatar who fights against his mistress’ plans is rare. After all, one false move could prematurely end her existence. If an Idol has multiple Unholy Avatars in waiting, he is transferred into the one subjected to this power the earliest.

Basically, Kveldulf is a dude who can live inside the ship and inside the crew and will, if not stopped before reaching the peak of the discipline, become almost as unkillable as his Ghul. As it stands, he's a dot below the single most frightening discipline power I've ever seen. Given the distances in the Caribbean and the specific trade lanes, it's going to be very unlikely that Kveldulf will ever be more than five hundred miles from a ghoul on shore. They could wind up mired with no food at all and Kveldulf would be just fine as a result. When you add in the ability to make those Ghouls more potent and more useful via willpower infusion and to use his Presence, it gets scarier because a cunning man like Kveldulf might just use an agent to start a furious riot against a Sanctified prince while he's verifiably elsewhere, or to arrange for a shore battery to decide that they'd better bombard that rival vampire ship whenever it appears. So long as the ghoul isn't linked to him - and it'll be a harder one to do so if he only ever meets the ghoul once physically - it gives excellent deniability.

Also no change, and you're right, that is a frightening power.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

GoatLord posted:

I don't know if any 2nd Edition books have been released yet besides the core, and it definitely doesn't contain Sunnikuse, no.

This is correct. If anyone has a pdf of Night Horrors, please post GA's flying head discipline, too.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
First post is written, just needs to be typed. Probably tomorrow morning assuming life doesn't get in the way again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Life. I'm off tomorrow and thursday, so it'll be up then, I'll link, of course.

• Locked thread