Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013
A woman I know who is having it rough has asked me for advice, and I really don't know what to tell her. We're in Canada, she's making about $20/hr, and is barely getting by (west coast is hella expensive). Her job, which she's been at for almost a decade, has no regular schedule. Every two weeks she finds out her start times and days off for the following fortnight.

She wants out. She wants a job making as much or more than she's making now, but with regular hours. She needs her training to be relatively inexpensive, take under 18 months, and able to work around her unreliable schedule. She doesn't have much in the way of job skills (her typing is hunt and peck), and she's deaf in one ear.

What's out there for her? The only thing I can think is support staff in healthcare. I've suggested she go to the community college and talk with a career counsellor. I've also pressured her to search for free online typing tutorials. I just don't think there's any easy path for her. Who's going to hire someone a decade away from retirement, when university grads are climbing over each other for any job available? How can she get her foot in the door with volunteer work if she doesn't have regular availability?

I've been out of the traditional job market myself for a decade, so I'm not sure what the climate even looks like right now.

Any advice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
Unless she is looking to move into the trades, any quick retraining will only get her equipped to start an entry level job somewhere. Being disabled might give her a slight leg up if she's applying to work with the BC government, but she'll take a pay hit wherever she goes.

Even with a government job she is looking at substantially less or at absolute best a few hundred bucks less than the ~$41,000 she's making now. https://search.employment.gov.bc.ca/cgi-bin/a/highlightjob.cgi?jobid=21458

If she isn't dead-set on sticking around there, maybe she'd do well as a border guard? The requirements are rather forgiving and a firearms license is pretty easy to get. https://emploisfp-psjobs.cfp-psc.gc.ca/psrs-srfp/applicant/page1800?toggleLanguage=en&noBackBtn=true&poster=242383&psrsMode=1

• Locked thread