Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
You could have replaced the Phoenix hovercar after selling the psiclone!

Raiding gangs without flying armor is also a bit of a pain--in addition to close quarters inside, their buildings tend to be very vertical in design and the stairs--like everything else--can explode.

That said, you've already started raiding Sirius; may as well send them the bill for the aliens' damage to your air force and keep it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Remember to edit the OP with the list of uploaded videos for easy access in the future.

Also Karate Bastard is boss, facing down many agents and not giving a poo poo.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Sep 29, 2014

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack

Starhawk64 posted:

As for Transteller not liking us, would luring a few UFOs to either attack or deposit aliens into their buildings and then cleaning up the mess after improve their relations with us? Bribing seems very expensive to do. You know it's a messed up situation, when a paramiltary organization has to raid other factions to get the bribe money needed so that the taxi drivers don't hate them.

In regards to this, Organizations don't really form a negative opinion of Aliens when they start infiltrating their stuff, infact clearing buildings of aliens can frequently cause negative relations because of the collateral damage. Since Transtellar is already unhappy with us too, we need the Aliens to really start shooting up their stuff, dancing my hoverbikes around infront of Transtellar buildings might work, that is the second advantage of housing most of your craft in their buildings, especially when its close to the dimension gates.

Also since i sold my vehicle repair bay to make space we have no way of repairing. I will build another in one of my new bases though, but for now we have to be more and more careful with our Hovercars and Valkyrie, Hoverbikes tend to die in one hit though so no worry there!

Gridlocked posted:

Remember to edit the OP with the list of uploaded videos for easy access in the future.
Thanks, done.

Koboje fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Sep 29, 2014

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.
Jimson
Male
Explosives. Only explosives.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
Well, as the saying goes, it ain't illegal if you don't get caught. I'm only disappointed that TNG didn't get to join in on the war crimes.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

It feels like the devs wanted to do more with the various corporations and gangs, but development was cut short. Apocalypse is still a very complete and fun game, but it still feels weird that the only way you can interact with other organisations is "shoot them", "shoot their friends", "shoot their enemies" or "bribe them". On the other hand, this kind of limited list of interactions paints a very cynical picture of Mega Primus that adds to the atmosphere of the game.

Koboje posted:

Also since i sold my vehicle repair bay to make space we have no way of repairing. I will build another in one of my new bases though, but for now we have to be more and more careful with our Hovercars and Valkyrie, Hoverbikes tend to die in one hit though so no worry there!

Yeah, I was wondering about that but forgot to ask. I did a :stare: face when I saw you delete that hangar. These things take more than a week to build (from what I remember), and you are going to have alien incursions almost daily, do you think you will make it?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Rexides posted:

It feels like the devs wanted to do more with the various corporations and gangs, but development was cut short. Apocalypse is still a very complete and fun game, but it still feels weird that the only way you can interact with other organisations is "shoot them", "shoot their friends", "shoot their enemies" or "bribe them". On the other hand, this kind of limited list of interactions paints a very cynical picture of Mega Primus that adds to the atmosphere of the game.

There was supposed to be an entire investigation side to the game, with lone agents going to sites and checking them out. Some vestigial elements still exists from this, like the hoverbikes being able to carry a single agent.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Sep 29, 2014

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

OAquinas posted:

You could have replaced the Phoenix hovercar after selling the psiclone!

I don't think this is worth it unless you're desperate. Hovercars aren't agile little swarming fuckers like bikes, and they aren't straight up fighters like the Valkyrie. You'd wind up with a handful of slow, undergunned fighters, and it isn't really worth it.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Since Koboje won't be researching the bigger guns anyway, having a swarm of hoverbikes is as good as half the number of hovercars. Also, since they die in one hit, you technically don't need to maintain a repair bay which a huge security hole as he explained.

e: Backseat Let's Playing :smug:

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
I'd like to sign up,

Name: L. Neth
Race: Humie
Preferred role: Sniper or maximum dakka.

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack

Rexides posted:

Yeah, I was wondering about that but forgot to ask. I did a :stare: face when I saw you delete that hangar. These things take more than a week to build (from what I remember), and you are going to have alien incursions almost daily, do you think you will make it?

As I said after losing my Hovercar, I did not really need to shoot down ALL the UFO's, for research purposes we only need to recover one of every UFO, so I only really want a significant enough force to destroy 1-2 ships each incursion which we can do by focusing and grouping what we have left for greater firepower and less (but still significant) risk. There is one specific UFO that we really need to shoot down and capture, otherwise I think our ground forces could use some practice against Aliens on the ground anyway, and once we have our Bio Transport modules researched and one manufactured we are gonna want to get capturing live aliens. Vehicle repair bays will be back in a base that has the space for it, naturally we will really want and need one as the game goes on, but we have very limited options right now.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

THE BAR posted:

We're doomed.

Hey. :mad:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I'd like to join if I can.

Name: Neddy Seagoon
Race: Robot
Role: Pyromaniac. An autogun filled with incendiary rounds, and incendiary grenades. BURN, ALIEN MEATLINGS!. :awesomelon:

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Exactly.

I know all your tricks, Psion!

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

He was the one who came up with the idea to have a couple missions be entirely done by suicide bombers in the old LP. :happyelf:

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack
Weapons
Let's talk a bit about the Weapons and Equipment we have been using thus far.

Megapol Lawpistol

A surprisingly powerful pistol, can be dual wielded for very reasonable damage and accuracy. Chews through clips quick though.

Marsec M4000 Machine Gun

Bullets bullets lots of bullets. That is the main point of this Machine gun. The sheer number of bullets makes it work against almost anything in close to about medium range. Dual wielded and used with aimed mode it is also a decent medium ranged weapon with lots of ammo.

Megapol Laser Sniper Gun

Incredibly accurate, agents have to be pathetically worthless to consistently miss with these, especially with aimed mode. Lacking in direct power, but if you have a spotter a team of snipers out of sight of the targets can weaken and kill things without much risk to themselves. Once the agents themselves have trained or fought enough to become accurate, they will hit every single shot straight across the entire map, or go auto shot mode for increased damage output at medium range. I have always liked these things.

Megapol Auto Cannon

Powerful, heavy, versatile. Can be used with Armor Piercing, Explosive or Incendiary Ammo. Very fun, very useful and an easy way of creating fires all over the place since each clip (including the non Incendiaries) has 24 shots in 'em. Will see a lot of use.

Megapol Stun Grapple

Future Tazers! Powerful short ranged stunning. Will be vital for capturing aliens alive and obviously useful in raids, stunning dudes to take their stuff and allows your buddies to execute them sloppily while they are defenseless

Megapol AP Grenade

Almost always good to bring, will usually kill those nasty Brainsuckers instantly, and has many many other uses and enemies its good against. Can also be used to trigger other explosives.

Megapol Stun Grenade

Releases very effective stunning clouds. Many aliens and all humans will quickly fall asleep from standing a few seconds in this. Great for capturing aliens and intact equipment. You can also stun yourself with them and hope the enemy moves on without pulling an X-Com on you first, usually enemies don't target stunned people altough your equipment will be vulnerable to exploding while down.

Megapol Smoke Grenade

Cover and sight limiter. Good for hiding people in, especially snipers who can then shoot at people without retaliation. Enemies (including aliens for some reason) can also use these to good effect.

Incendiary Grenade

Sets things on fire. Good times will be had.

Megapol Armor

Heavy and actually protects you, unlike earlier X-Com "armor". Takes quite a bit to crack open. Don't leave home without it, unless other armor is available and you have a plan.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Personally I think the laser rifle is complete garbage. It has such a low rate of fire and not enough power to make up for it. On both turn-based and real-time, the game's mechanics heavily favor spray-and-pray over careful, accurate shots.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Fister Roboto posted:

Personally I think the laser rifle is complete garbage. It has such a low rate of fire and not enough power to make up for it. On both turn-based and real-time, the game's mechanics heavily favor spray-and-pray over careful, accurate shots.

I disagree. The game is quite reliant on small, hard to hit, instant kill enemies, like our buddy the brainsucker. At least in the initial stages of the game, being able to pick a brainsucker off from across the map is a pretty big deal.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Fangz posted:

I disagree. The game is quite reliant on small, hard to hit, instant kill enemies, like our buddy the brainsucker. At least in the initial stages of the game, being able to pick a brainsucker off from across the map is a pretty big deal.

That depends. In real-time, brainsuckers are almost 100% harmless unless you get lazy. In turn-based, where they can run up and do their thing completely unopposed, I can kind of see your point. But consider that anything tougher than a brainsucker needs to take multiple hits from a laser rifle to die. If you miss a shot that consumes the majority of your TUs, you're hosed. Not to mention that with starting agent stats, a laser rifle's accuracy will be a lot lower than what it says on the box.

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack
We will no doubt be switching our loadouts alot during this, i also suspect Sniper guns will lose some value with time, but i think they can still have a small area of use in finishing weakened guys or during stalemates provide the long range punch to wear the enemy down without getting shot at in return. There will be a fair bit of experimenting during this.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I remember laser rifles being very accurate in turn-based combat, but how effective are they in a mode where a target you shot at is not there any more because he moved? Those beams of focused light are so darn slow :eng99:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm almost certain that motion doesn't factor into the accuracy of shots. That would make things far too complicated, and would also make real-time combat completely inferior to turn-based.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Way back when I played this game I armed most of my agents with akimbo machineguns, which was pretty effective until I realised I'd bought and fired every bullet on the open market. I was reduced to tasing megapol officers so I could steal the ammo in their sidearm.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

When I first played Apocalypse, I bought laser rifles for EVERY soldier, because in XCOM 1 it was the standard issue rifle before plasma :newlol:

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Sure, I'll get in on this.

Name: HK-AQ
Race: Android
Role: Dual-wielding Laser Cannon murderbot

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Awesome, I want to do my part!

Name: GyverMac
Human/Hybrid/Android: Whatever you need!
Preferred Role: Daring non lethal Alien capturer! In order to win, we must know our enemies. From the inside out.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm almost certain that motion doesn't factor into the accuracy of shots. That would make things far too complicated, and would also make real-time combat completely inferior to turn-based.

But real-time IS completely inferior to turn-based, so...

OK, I might be a little biased, but once I discovered how completely impossible it was to stun poppers, I gave up completely on real-time. I'm looking forward to seeing them come up in the future. And then blow up.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

GuavaMoment, your LP of the original X-Com and Apocalypse is what convinced me to scrounge up the :10bux: for a forums account, because I couldn't read the rest without one. I was going through a very tough time in my life and the comedy of the LPs kept me going. I still sometimes go back and read the old LPs from time to time. I've yet to play an X-Com game though, I really should though.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Oct 1, 2014

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Starhawk64 posted:

GuavaMoment, your LP of the original X-Com and Apocalypse is what convinced me to scrounge up the :10bux: for a forums account, because I couldn't read the rest without one. I was going through a very tough time in my life and the comedy of the LPs kept me going. I still sometimes go back and read the old LPs from time to time. I've yet to play an X-Com game though, I really should though.

I will literally give you the new XCOM game if you accept my steam friend request. The catch? I'll also give you Enforcer and Interceptor.

Be careful what you wish for.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
I thought interceptor was a good one.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

GuavaMoment posted:

I will literally give you the new XCOM game if you accept my steam friend request. The catch? I'll also give you Enforcer and Interceptor.

Be careful what you wish for.

Accepted request. I've already got a few bad games clogging up my list, a few more wouldn't hurt.

Polybius91
Jun 4, 2012

Cobrastan is not a real country.
About time I found one of these threads in time to join up. I will do my part to protect the people of Mega Primus :patriot:

Name: Polybius91
Human
Preferred Role: Machine Gunner

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Lord Windy posted:

It's not as bad as Enforcer.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Lord Windy posted:

hahahahahaha

no

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack
Thanks to Zedd for Banners
(I am aware of the loud clicking and keyboard noises and will do my best to reduce it in future updates, sorry for the annoyance)

I saw the lack of power of Sniper rifles first hand now, will make sure the agents carrying them atleast have a pistol too next time, they took way too much time subduing that Multiworm close range, which admittedly was dumb of me as i was impatient to finish the mission

Otherwise everything progressed really well, only real mistake i think was that thing with the snipers. We Captured a living being of everything encountered but the Blue Guys and can start research next update

Current issues remain the same, but we can still sell off some things we will need in the future for things we need right now.

Research Completed:

Dimension Gates

We need to recover a UFO with intact control, propulsion and power source. The Alien Scouts and Probes have had their crap destroyed from remote location, so we need to down some other types of UFOs. Speaking of UFOs:

Alien Scout

Doesn't have a crew or cargo space, can still deposit aliens into buildings to infiltrate, aliens man. Gets smushed fast, but that beam weapon is still deadly to us.

Alien Probe

Very like the Alien Scout, slightly more squishy, but also slightly faster so it can dodge better. And it cannot deposit aliens.

Brainsucker Launcher

Launches Brainsucker pods near our troops, if they are too accurate and it lands at our feet we can just pick it up or stand on it to prevent hatching.

Bio-Transport Module

For Carrying Living and Dead aliens. Probably because of not being able to implement it in time, a single Bio Module (and cargo module) can carry infinite amounts of aliens (and equipment). Hence only one of each is needed per investigating/raiding ship, and there is no way to select which equipment or aliens are jammed into the modules, it is just all crammed in there. Passenger modules however actually provide more space for each one added (4 seats each). Will post a bit about our vehicles and vehicle equipment soon enough

New Aliens encountered (more info will be provided after we research them):

Multiworm: Big greenish Worm Slug with a deadly close to medium range spit and some nasty teeth (fun note, there is no such thing as a melee attack in the tactical game, even the "Sword" in this game uses projectiles). Has a lot of health and can take a bit of a beating. Also has another fun surprise for you if you don't stun or kill it in the correct way.

Multiworm Egg: Pinkish eggs with a tube for close range spitting, not too dangerous and don't have to be killed or actively stunned (don't think you can actually)

Spitters: Pinkish things that spit at you (see a theme yet?) Actually not that dangerous to a Megapol armored agent, as a single guy could run in and stun 3 spitters with just a stun grapple and pistol without taking noticable damage.

We should also talk a bit about

Alien Infiltration!
When an alien ship deposits aliens into a building, the buildings owners start becoming infiltrated, which is represented by a %. When this % goes above 50 there starts being a good chance of the Organizations coming under permanent Alien Control and going Insta hostile to X-Com. Infiltration is cleared by investigating affected buildings.

If left unattended aliens will spread from the infected building into others nearby and begin work infiltrating whatever organization owns those as well. Waiting for an alarm to come in is usually a bad idea but sometimes aliens will spread without you noticing and investigating a building without finding aliens pisses organizations off. Keeping track on the Alien infiltration chart you have seen me checking a few times is good for determining where or when aliens could be spreading.

Also Organizations can fight back internally against infiltration and slowly reduce it as long as the depositing is not too serious or was done in a resistant building. Some Organizations obviously don't fight as hard against this (The Cult for example). The % reduction can also be explained by another reason which will be stated as we research more.

Active Agents list with kills (including totally legit non-war crime killing of unconscious people) and notable accomplishments:
TNG
Compsognathus
Ano Hito 3 kills (+1) (moderately wounded)
Synastren 4 kills (+1) (moderately wounded)
k.d. goon 2 kills
Banjo 1 kill (+1)
Night 2 kills
Fang
Anil E. Hilated 4 kills (+2)
Karate Bastard Sucker punched (with stun grapples) and wounded alot of Cultists for easy cleanup. Surprise stunned a retreating Multiworm together with Gridlocked
THE BAR 3 kills (+2)
Broken Box
Gridlocked Surprise stunned a retreating Multiworm together with Karate Bastard
Crazy Cassidy
Arquebus

Koboje fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Oct 1, 2014

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Well, if Sniper Rifles suck, I request my guy change from being a Sniper to an AutoCannon dude. I love guns with versatile ammo.

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack

Starhawk64 posted:

Well, if Sniper Rifles suck, I request my guy change from being a Sniper to an AutoCannon dude. I love guns with versatile ammo.

But they don't suck they are just situational guys :qq:. But yeah i will change your dude around if you wish. For ease of finding and changing, if anyone else want to have their equipment switched around Post your Persons name and new Preferred role/loadout.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Fun fact: if you're fighting aliens in a building, they can attempt to escape just like your agents, and if they succeed they will move to adjacent buildings and attempt to start infiltrating that corporation.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Who needs muscles, when you have a beret as snazzy as this? :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
I gotta get in on this.
Name:Turd Ferguson
Human
Preferred Role:Close range
Tried to watch LPs of this game before, most are pretty awful. Glad to see a good one.

• Locked thread