Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I seem to recall ground vehicles being a complete waste in this game. Or did I just never use them right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Holy crap I skipped all the videos thinking this was a screen shot LP I'm a loving idiot.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Karate Bastard posted:

I seem to recall ground vehicles being a complete waste in this game. Or did I just never use them right?

They suck because of one tiny teensy problem, they blow up if the road is destroyed, even if the vehicle is completely unharmed.

That's the reason most people think they're poo poo. :v:

Although, you could use the Wolfhound APC as a transport for missions in buildings/crashed UFO's if you want to be cheap since those are sold for 9000, which is 3000 less than a Phoenix Hovercar, since they're so slow you should only use them once there is no hostiles around to blow it up anyways.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Looking at all those great splash screens for the different organizations and guns got my blood pumping again. Time to fire up Steam and see how Apocalypse runs in a Windows 7 environment.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
Oh man, I keep hoping I would score a kill or something, but I'm just grateful I didn't die. Maybe next time! (Either getting a kill or dying)

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ah, this game. The Cult of Sirius is a neat idea, it's a shame that their existence is essentially an infinite cash and equipment exploit.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Recruit Gridlocked here commander,

Requesting permanent transfer to Karate Bastards squad so I may continue to participate with him in the capturing of hostiles and/or the execution of hated enemies. Proud to serve under you sir.

Also I have only played the first Xcom when I was like 8 and the 2012 reboot but if you want people to sit in on the commentary I would love to. Also I think you should get Karate Bastard to, purely on the grounds of how badass he is in game.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Oct 2, 2014

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Gridlocked posted:

Also I have only played the first Xcom when I was like 8 and the 2012 reboot but if you want people to sit in on the commentary I would love to. Also I think you should get Karate Bastard to purely on the grounds of how badass he is in game.

Wait until the episode of his inevitable death to bring him in.

burnaboy
Jun 2, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm getting in on this
Name: Burnaboy
Human
role: Autocannons

Looking for to seeing how horrible the meat grinder is later on

burnaboy fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Oct 2, 2014

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Koorisch posted:

They suck because of one tiny teensy problem, they blow up if the road is destroyed, even if the vehicle is completely unharmed.

That's the reason most people think they're poo poo. :v:

Although, you could use the Wolfhound APC as a transport for missions in buildings/crashed UFO's if you want to be cheap since those are sold for 9000, which is 3000 less than a Phoenix Hovercar, since they're so slow you should only use them once there is no hostiles around to blow it up anyways.

There's always hostile ships around. All it takes is a COS hovercar flying overhead, and suddenly you're down 14 good troops and all their equipment.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

There's always hostile ships around. All it takes is a COS hovercar flying overhead, and suddenly you're down 14 good troops and all their equipment.

Well then you can just send out a Hoverbike armed with a machinegun and blow it up, it's not too hard to kill them.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Or you can just send your troops in an aircraft like a not stupid person.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Can ground vehicles even reach crash sites that are off road?

Road vehicles felt like a waste of developer/designer time.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Koorisch posted:

Well then you can just send out a Hoverbike armed with a machinegun and blow it up, it's not too hard to kill them.

That seems rather contrary to the "save $3000 by using a groundcar" benefit.

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack

Rexides posted:

Can ground vehicles even reach crash sites that are off road?

Road vehicles felt like a waste of developer/designer time.

I have actually never tried!

Supposedly ground vehicles can deal alot of damage if you go through a lot of effort to position them correctly and with air support to bait enemy fire into something that will not instakill them. More flaws of ground vehicles is a common inability to fire at anything not infront of them and that they CAN NOT STOP MOVING, unless you take manual control (which you clearly can only do to one at a time), as well as inability to turn around except where the road is 3/4 forked or by entering buildings or where the road otherwise stops. If you can get past all that, and pray that a stray shot from your own or enemy things don't hit the road then perhaps you can get that extra sporadic fire support! I guess they might also be good for tricking aliens into shooting buildings by peeking out with cheap Bikes and getting right back in again and again but most likely they will just get one shot instantly.

As for other Guest commentators, yes most likely i will want some others eventually! So add me on steam: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197991980070
And i will call on you when needed! Just post what your steam name is so i don't delete or decline you for being an assumed trader of hats.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

If you position and arm them right, ground vehicles can essentially become mobile AA sites, which is a great idea in concept, but heavily limited in practice, since hoverbike/plasma swarms are viable for most of the game and APC/missile swarms are expensive and hard to coordinate. I've seen it done properly, and it can drop enemy craft like nothing else but it's impractical to devote that much time, effort and resource to the venture.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Koboje posted:

As for other Guest commentators, yes most likely i will want some others eventually! So add me on steam: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197991980070
And i will call on you when needed! Just post what your steam name is so i don't delete or decline you for being an assumed trader of hats.

Ok doneski.

I should be showing up as Nevar or Gridlocked.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

Or you can just send your troops in an aircraft like a not stupid person.

If you are somehow so bad to lose all the aircraft and is playing it Ironman it might be useful I suppose.

Not that there aren't ANY uses for them but I agree that using air vehicles are superior because of the speed and the ability to avoid damage.

:e v it's even worse at the higher difficulties since the city is pretty huge so yeah.

Koorisch fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Oct 2, 2014

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Not to mention that you don't need roads with air vehicles. I imagine the city's road layout isn't the most efficiently designed network.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Four kills? I'm officially a better X-Com character than I am a Starcraft 2 player.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Koboje posted:

I have actually never tried!

Supposedly ground vehicles can deal alot of damage if you go through a lot of effort to position them correctly and with air support to bait enemy fire into something that will not instakill them. More flaws of ground vehicles is a common inability to fire at anything not infront of them and that they CAN NOT STOP MOVING, unless you take manual control (which you clearly can only do to one at a time), as well as inability to turn around except where the road is 3/4 forked or by entering buildings or where the road otherwise stops. If you can get past all that, and pray that a stray shot from your own or enemy things don't hit the road then perhaps you can get that extra sporadic fire support! I guess they might also be good for tricking aliens into shooting buildings by peeking out with cheap Bikes and getting right back in again and again but most likely they will just get one shot instantly.

I'd be up for this. I'll show up as foolofsound.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Koboje posted:

I guess they might also be good for tricking aliens into shooting buildings

I think you may have unlocked the mystery of ground vehicles here chief. Undiplomatic envoys.

e: Getting in on some guest commentating would be a riot, if only to get the chance hone my fake Texan on a neverending stream of bigoted hardassery and terrible advice, but irl has my balls in a vise for the moment so frankly I don't really see that happening any time soon, regrettably.

Karate Bastard fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Oct 2, 2014

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Sniper rifles are really nice to have when you're in a situation where they're useful, but those times that they aren't mean you're in deep poo poo for carrying them. I tended to use one per squad because that was more than enough. Anything so far away that I actually needed a sniper to hit them reliably was too far away to pose a threat.

Ground vehicles are garbage, because as was already covered, they're slow, clumsy, poorly armed, and only as sturdy as the roads they drive on (which are pretty fragile). However, there is one niche use for ground vehicles: the Wolfhound APC carries 14 troops by default, and has room for one cargo module and one passenger module, so you can let it haul loot and carry 18 troops, which is three full squads. And all this for only 9k! Compare to the transport in use now, the Valkyrie, which can carry sixteen agents if you use a cargo module, or twelve if you use a bio-transport module and a cargo module, and it costs 75k. There are other things which serve as way better transports, of course, but they're farther down the line, and also usually pretty expensive, so they'd be your main people movers and not the bus you use to take your second-stringers for some live fire exercises.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I have a feeling the LPer is really going to run into issues with ammo later on. Most of the human weapons consume ammo, and the later aliens/UFOs, especially when shielded, are tremendous bullet sponges. So I think he pretty much needs to use all the different weapons he can.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Also, sign me up, chief! Close combat weapons are go

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack
With secret guest star!

Smaller update. Just having a party at some other guys house and bringing back some party supplies. 3 light wounds on TNG, Banjo and Gridlocked, otherwise all good except we didn't get as much supplies as i had hoped, no rockets to replace what i used either

We did get to use this beauty:
Marsec Heavy Launcher

Guided brutally destrutive rocket launcher, little chance for escape. Weighs a lot obviously, can be dual wielded if you really must super murder something right away, altough you can't carry much ammo and even single wielded will slow down most agents to a walk. Since they are guided, agents accuracy doesn't matter and you can fire on Auto for hilarious numbers of explosions. When horrible explosions are undesirable (what has the world come to) it is wise to disallow an agent from firing them until you believe they will make a needed impact (and explosion). I am gonna start saving any future rockets until the difficult things start coming, i suspect they will have some nice uses later on.

Since that went basically as hoped let us also talk a bit about the Vehicles and Vehicle Weapons we have been using against the Aliens:

Vehicles

Valkyrie Interceptor

Our biggest baddest ship currently available, incredibly expensive at 75 000 bux (we started with 100 000). It really is not cost effective for the amount of firepower it adds over a Hovercar (infact properly equipped Hovercars will deal just as much in regular combat), but it is better armored, can take way more hits and easily allows for way more agents to reach buildings for when huge assaults are wanted. Not so good at dodging, when we get a Vehicle repair bay again we will probably want to engage with our Valk first and soak a few hits before disengaging, altough that will become risky in time, assuming we can get a repair bay up before the risk is too great. Needless to say, losing it would be an incredibly huge blow to our economy, maybe it will just sit back in base safely later.

Phoenix Hovercar

Cheap starting at 12 000 a piece, you get serious firepower for your money. Also comes with pre-equipped Bolter 4000 Laser and Janitor Missile array and ammo for them. A bit slow in the dodging game and can't take more than a few hits of even the weakest alien weapon. Has 2 weapons slots of equal size to the hoverbikes 1 slot, which means double the potential damage output in comparison. Even though they die too easy, we might well continue buying and using them if we need the firepower.

Hoverbike

Really cheap at 5000, comes with a dinky little machine gun thing you can sell to make it seem even cheaper or you can use it to kill slower fatter ships. Otherwise equip it with a proper weapon and go shoot some UFOs. Can dodge AND shoot! Amazing! Very good value, we will be getting all of them for a while. Hoverbike swarm is not very original but i lack the confidence to try a Ground vehicle strategy.

Vehicle Equipment

Bolter 4000 Laser Gun

Decently accurate, bit low damage but this also means little risk of trashing buildings by accident. Good for squishing Smaller or lightly armored UFOs. Doesn't consume ammo at all and is therefore good for the cost efficently minded person but will become a fallback weapon when the higher damage weapons have/are running out of ammo.

Lancer 7000 Laser Gun

Like the Bolter, but bigger and a bit better. Size means we can only equip our Valk with it so far.

Janitor Missile Array

Very good damage for the small size, homing and good against agile UFOs. Putting them on all craft will drain our ammo reserves real fast though. Will probably always have use.

Rendor Plasma Gun

The way more powerful and deadly alternative to the Laser guns, and a bit more accurate. They do however use the expensive Elerium resource, and lots of it. There is an even more powerful version but it is not being sold just yet. We are just now replacing our Bolters with these as the increased damage will be needed for the coming threats.

Active Agents list with kills (including totally legit non-war crime killing of unconscious people) and notable accomplishments:
TNG (lightly wounded)
Compsognathus
Ano Hito 3 kills (moderately wounded)
Synastren 4 kills (moderately wounded)
k.d. goon 3 kills (+1)
Banjo 1 kill
Night 2 kills
Fang
Anil E. Hilated 6 kills (+2)
Karate Bastard Sucker punched (with stun grapples) and wounded alot of Cultists for easy cleanup. Surprise stunned a retreating Multiworm together with Gridlocked, keeping it up.
THE BAR 3 kills
Broken Box
Gridlocked 2 kills (+2) (lightly wounded) Surprise stunned a retreating Multiworm together with Karate Bastard.
Crazy Cassidy
KANE 1 kill (+1)
Eice Bleu
Shroud

Koboje fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Oct 4, 2014

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

:stare: Jumped into the start of the battle and was trying to remember what kind of alien made those gurgling noises.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yup, I'm a murder machine. Hell, I think this is the first time I signed up for being dwarfed or whatever in an LP that's actually somewhat succesful.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

ABANDONED HOMEWORLD FOR SALE, CHEAP!!!
Custom desert-marsh conversion in galactic core, 12% oxygen atm., great weather, friendly native life (missing one moon). Great fix-er-upper. Must sell, alien invasion imminent. $3995 or best offer.
Kitty :3:

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
If I can be a grenade sponge for XCom, my life has purpose! And I didn't die, so that's a bonus too.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Noting that my toon is on par for accuracy, reactions, strength, bravery, psi energy, psi attack and psi defense stats with a brick. Apparently also for the hidden myopicity stat.

Obnoxious enough to push up to the front, aggro enough to hack it, dense enough to prize it. HOO RAA!! :black101:

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Oh no my gun misfired. Whoops.

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack
With Guest Commentator Gridlocked!
(Video is a bit too long, noticed too late and youtube is editing slowly)
I would advise not reading any spoilers in this post until you have finished watching.

Things are getting real now. A full week has passed and we get our paycheck of 80000 from the Government which gives us enough to buy more hoverbikes, some new toys and ammo, but not enough to actually get that second base we need. We also got a raise for our good performance, 6666 more per week.

We have also started seeing our first bigger manned UFOs, which carry equipment and lots and lots of alien defenders. Capturing the Transport (the purpley pizza looking thing) was a big victory for us even if it cost a certain Bastard his life. We can now research the Propulsion, Control and Energy sources of the alien ships, and the light disruptor weapon they are using and which we will sell all of due to being dirty alien stuff.

New items also arrived at the market, including these cool things:

Marsec Armor

The middle section is the important bit as it allows flying, and you can mix and match armors so currently megapol armor with Marsec middle section is best protection wise if you want flying. Otherwise it is lighter and weaker protection than Megapol and should not really be used unless you have real issues with mobility and not so much getting shot at. It is also sadly a lot more expensive which is the death sentence against just equipping all our snipers and THE BAR with it. For now anyways.

Megapol Plasma Gun

A much nastier Lawpistol and actually good at longer ranges, our snipers will get some use out of this, as will our gunslingers.

Hawk Air Warrior

The most powerful Marsec produced vehicle available is now available for purchase by X-Com. Noticably more Constitution (vehicle hit points) than the Valk and better armored, with an additional 2x2 weapons slot in addition to the two 1x4 weapons slot it shares with the valkyrie. Also a fat whale unlikely to dodge anything, you can upgrade its engines though. Has capacity for more equipment and passengers too. Starts off at costing 100 000 bux, not even a full weeks pay will be enough for even one. We will get more sources of income fairly soon but i am not gonna be getting any of these until we have a working Repair Bay for getting rid of punishment they will be receiving, which means we need atleast 1 more base, maybe 2, before we get some.

Research Completed:

Multiworm

Greenish short to medium ranged WormSlug with deadly spit. If killed it will almost always release 4 Hyperworms all ready to murder you. Especially if you were right next to the multiworm when it died. Stunning it releases no Hyperworms and using explosive autocannons will usually explode the hyperworms as they spawn

Hyperworm

Pinkish things with an even deadlier spit than the Multiworm but even shorter range, basically have to stand right next to the agent. Being surrounded by them quickly leads to death.

Things of Interest:
We have 5 Hybrids all in Psy training now. We will be bringing them next time we visit the cult, altough they are part of my long term end game plan and i will be very protective of them

We have still not found a single Android to recruit. We could use some, but S.E.L.F is not providing.

We also encountered a Popper, a moving living rocket basically, not nice to have them explode in your face and very annoying and dangerous to capture live, which is why i was so keen to make someone stand on it when one was stunned, my greed and desire for a live capture probably got Karate killed. Will not explode if killed with Laser or Plasma. Will explode if killed by armor piercing, explosive or incendiary weapons, or if they just bleed out.

Current Issues:
Money money money
Transtellar
Need second base
These guys have become unfriendly to us:

To the people who wondered who came up with the retro style of the city and Vehicles, it's these guys! On their own they provide really no benefit to keeping neutral. Unfortunately Marsec and Transtellar is friendly with them. So taking any action against them would make 2 vital organizations hate us. And simply being unfriendly/hostile to us can make their friends resent us as well. This could be the beginning of a downward spiral.

Another fun note, if you piss of an organization enough they will start thinking the Aliens are cooler than X-Com and will refuse further bribe Attempts by X-Com, at that point more indirect actions are needed.

Active Agents list with kills (including totally legit non-war crime killing of unconscious people) and notable accomplishments:
TNG
Copsognathus
Ano Hito 3 kills
Synastren 4 kills
k.d. goon 3 kills
Banjo 1 kill
Night 2 kills (wounded)
Fang
Anil E. Hilated 10 kills (+4) (wounded)
THE BAR 3 kills
Broken Box 9 kills (+9)
Gridlocked 3 kills (+1) (lightly wounded) Surprise stunned a retreating Multiworm together with Karate Bastard.
Crazy Cassidy
KANE 1 kill
Eice Bleu
Shroud
Snugglecakes (wounded) (Official Door Opener)
PotatManJack
Arquebus
Rhumbus
Hankosha
Psyduck (needed more psionics so added a duck)

Memorial
Karate Bastard. Sucker punched (with stun grapples) and wounded alot of Cultists for easy cleanup. Surprise stunned a retreating Multiworm together with Gridlocked. Died during a chaotic UFO breach trying to ensure a Popper wouldn't explode, but got caught in a crossfire, most likely got finished off by a newborn Hyperworm.

Koboje fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Oct 5, 2014

Radio
Jul 25, 2003

Oh no, trash bear!
The cat should guest in more videos.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

These organizations are a real pain in the rear end aren't they? You'd think they corporate with the ONLY ORGANIZATION TRYING TO STOP THE ALIENS FROM ENSLAVING US ALL. Guess it's time to start raiding the Cult again and maybe the gangs too so you can bride these fuckers too. You know, in case poo poo hits the fan and all organizations end up being hostile to us, is it still possible to continue playing by raiding the bastards? If they aren't going to corporate with the ONLY ORGANIZATION TRYING TO STOP THE ALIENS FROM ENSLAVING ALL OF HUMANITY, then they're in the way and need to have their resources appropriated. :black101:

Poor Karate Bastard. Rest in piece you crazy stun-grappling fiend. Also, the cat should be our new mascot, and our base and vehicles need names, it's bad luck not to.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 5, 2014

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

If you hold shift when selecting vehicles, you can select a bunch in one go, so you can order a bunch around at once, instead of going "you attack, now you attack, now you attack" down the line. I'm pretty sure it's shift, anyway, but I know you can do that.

When breaching UFOs, I'd usually line up my dudes outside the entrance and wait for aliens to stop walking into my firing lines. Then I'd actually go in and take them out. I'd keep people together so they could mass fire on aliens, but if I was only sending in one to act as bait, I'd send the one with some grenades. As soon as aliens are spotted, chuck one and run back to allies. When the aliens showed up in pursuit, they were met with a wall of bullets.

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack
It is Ctrl in my game but thanks for telling me, i always kept trying shift and giving up when it didnt work, this will make it a fair bit less annoying sending my hoverswarms.

And future ufo breaches will be done more carefully, i usually line them up too, i just didn't like standing outside our first ufo and it had not crashed optimally so the guys had (to me) awkward positions and room just outside it.

Theoretically we can survive now by just raiding should Marsec and Transtellar go hostile, but man would it be uncomfortable and winning will get a whole lot harder.

Koboje fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Oct 5, 2014

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

One interesting thing to note is that while Marsec armor is generally less protective than Megapol armor, it actually has a hidden modifier that makes it more resistant to explosive, incendiary, and stun grapple (not stun gas) damage.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Oshit youguys I got to be the first casualty in an xcom thread it's all I ever wanted out of life!

I'm glad we have Koboje to run this show because if I'd do it it'd be hella boring to watch, since I have a tendency to get over-cautious with everything, but here's a guy who'll do the sensible thing and just cock the hammer and charge up the poop chute of that horrid meat pie and give it a napalm enema! I particularly liked the part where my toon turns a corner and the braille alien counter just goes gently caress it and the dots blend together into a big fat old minus of "well about a million of them for all the difference it makes to you and by the way is that a tazer?" just to illustrate the associated chances of survival.

Feel free to pop me into the hopper again if you need more grit in your grinder :)

Oh and I found a jootoob describing the xcom recruitment process (sorry about all the wizards).

e: fixed link.

Karate Bastard fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

If you ever buy a Hawk, you should name it Karate Bastard.

• Locked thread