Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
No Toxiguns or Personal Shields? OUCH, I do wonder how far you can get.

By No Free money, do you mean not raiding the Cult repeatedly, or not building the stuff that give you a positive return on investment?

Name: Fang
Race: Human
Role: Sniper/Marsec suit volunteer

Fangz fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Sep 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Raiding the gangs is quite dangerous, because the gangs can raid you back. This is bad. I think it's better to focus on one enemy for now.

At ALL costs, do not piss off Transtellar. If Transtellar turns hostiles, things do to poo poo *fast*.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Personally I think the laser rifle is complete garbage. It has such a low rate of fire and not enough power to make up for it. On both turn-based and real-time, the game's mechanics heavily favor spray-and-pray over careful, accurate shots.

I disagree. The game is quite reliant on small, hard to hit, instant kill enemies, like our buddy the brainsucker. At least in the initial stages of the game, being able to pick a brainsucker off from across the map is a pretty big deal.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I have a feeling the LPer is really going to run into issues with ammo later on. Most of the human weapons consume ammo, and the later aliens/UFOs, especially when shielded, are tremendous bullet sponges. So I think he pretty much needs to use all the different weapons he can.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Ugh. Transtellar being hostile is an enormous pain in the arse and would be a game ender if I was playing. (For those who don't know, this means you have to manually pick up EVERY person you recruit, or item you purchase and bring it back to your base.

Aliens do go through their life cycle. So if you hit a building immediately after the aliens drop into it, instead of waiting for an alert, you get the lower tier aliens (and eggs).

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Edit: nvm

Fangz fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 10, 2014

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

What is the long term plan for this XCOM project? Because it seems like at this point the human tech basically has reached its apex. Aliens are going to get tougher and tougher, and without Vortex mines/Devastator cannons I'm not sure if you can complete the Alien dimension levels. Once Entropy launchers appear, aliens will basically oneshot your dudes with no chance of surviving. So, erm, yeah. Seems like your only chance is mind control. A shitload of mind control.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Lotish posted:

Does psychic energy regenerate over time during a map or is a limited resource per engagement?

I believe it regenerates slowly. The problem is that the later maps feature respawning enemies, and the aliens gain the ability to directly, and permanently subvert organizations, without putting down aliens for you to fight.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I think it's actually reasonably simple for this playstyle. You can throw stun grenades at a really long range, and then add explosives, and lots of bullets. Otherwise you'd still have to kill that alien anyway - and doing so isn't really any easier than stunning it. I really do think the various demolitions missions will be much more difficult for you.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

He's playing human tech only. So no shields.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Given the entire world is a crapsack hell hole, weapons aimed at setting what little is left on fire, maximizing property damage, is probably not popular with legit organisations.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I'm steadily climbing the kills table by being not one of the guys who get killed. :)

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

SavageGentleman posted:

Sounds like we're moving pretty fast through the roster, gonna sign up for the reserves to fill it a little.

Name:Savage Gentleman
Human
Preferred Role: Any

His problem isn't running out of thread posters, it's lack of dudes in the ingame recruitment pool.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Toxiguns, in combination with personal shields, are definitively the most broken weapons in the game. These two items alone basically account for why the game balance is so off.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Why Toxiguns are insane:

Toxigun with Toxin C stats:
Rate of fire: 4.5r/s
Damage per shot: 85

Let's put this in context. The machine guns we are using now?

M4000 MG
Rate of fire: 3.00r/s
Damage per shot: 21

What about something bigger?

Marsec Heavy Launcher HE rocket:
Rate of fire: 0.45r/s
Damage per shot: 90

Basically being hosed down by a toxigun is like being shot by a heavy rocket launcher over 4 times a second. Also it ignores shields, which means shields drop intact and can be used as handy health packs.

Toxin C is pretty late game, but Toxin B is fairly easy to get, and does 65 damage instead of 85. i.e. a bit more than an AP grenade, 4.5 times per second. Even Toxin A, which we would have gotten a few updates ago, would be doing over triple the dps of our current best weapon.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Nov 16, 2014

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

You can definitely force fire every location in Apocalypse.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Veloxyll posted:

No Robots allowed. So what's the difference between an infiltrated organisation v one that is just hostile?

An organisation that turns because of infiltration is permanently hostile. It can't be bribed.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Koboje posted:

We are pretty far in now. But they do have a few very nasty surprises left for us, in both Air and Ground. It could be a while before we see the last few of them though. Once they reach their max tech, they will continue to get their weekly supply of UFOs, but not much more, so if you can survive and shoot them down reguarly without losing too much, then things should slowly start getting better with more control over when, where and what you fight.

I kinda question that. The main problem is direct infiltration, which IIRC is both very hard to stop given the low damage output of human anti air weapons, and irreversible when done.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

OAquinas posted:

Should I feel bad for not understanding a single word of this?

Iji is a fairly good free indie shooty platformer. Annihilators are an enemy type - an alien in a tank sized mecha suit fitted out with weapons, all of them utterly bonkers and obsessed only with upping their kill count. There's an ingame diary log detailing the bad things that happen when Annihilators don't see any action for too long.

Really I don't think our XCOM Annihilators will be doing much worse than, well, going down in flames in the alien dimension, taking an entire squad with them. Which is pretty bad, to be honest.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jan 26, 2015

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

TomViolence posted:

That pileup in the stairwell was just beautiful. Though, being a massive sadist, I'd have used an incendiary grenade to clear 'em out. Loving the idea of a spitter zoo, though. The poor things need to be saved from the cruel alien overlords that send them into these battles were they're so massively outclassed.

If he used an incendiary, the eggs would have died and the horde would have come out and killed me. And that would be bad. :(

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh yeah, Koboje, if ever you research the personal teleporter, how about relaxing your tech restriction to allow that? Mainly because it's such a weird, seemingly useless thing, that I'd be interested in seeing you demonstrate.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

At long last I have reached the top of the roster!

I think you might as well use that weapon. I think you've earned it.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Congrats. I hope that last guy who died in the cutscene wasn't me!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Haha. So I basically snipe all the objectives from the backline after two thirds of the force charges forward and gets killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I believe you also lose the game immediately if somehow the Government becomes infiltrated.

• Locked thread